Free thinkers?

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (170 posts)
  1. aka-dj profile image63
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

I hear a lot of atheists, liberals, rationalists etc claim to REAL free thought. All the while belittling, ridiculing and browbeating Christians, (and those of some "other" religion).
    What they are saying is that they (the former) have "cornered the market" on the matter.
    So, by default, if you (or I) have a belief in God, Scripture, the Spiritual etc, are devoid of (same) free thought.
    What makes you a free thinker, as opposed to a "fear" thinker?

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would also like to ask, "What makes them free?"

2. tantrum profile image58
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why a free thinker is the opposite to a fear thinker?
      I didn't know freedom was the opposite to fear.

Of course, if you infer the fear enslave people, that's another thing.
      Anyway it's a true fact that people that believe in Gods have a sense of fear an awe towards their Gods.
      So they can never be free thinkers.

I'm a free thinker, because I'm detached of all sense of God, apart from being detached of many other things. but that's another story.
      Here we are in the Relig forum ,so I answer accordingly.

3. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Free - "I do not believe in god, because believing in something without any evidence is just silly. But I am open to the possibility if some proof or evidence of any of the infinite number of possible gods presents itself."

Fear - "I absolutely believe in the christian god and nothing will sway me. No facts, nothing will make me change my mind or allow me to be open to the possibility that I am wrong. "

See the difference?

1. greeneyesH1982 profile image59
        greeneyesH1982posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I dont believe in God because I am afraid I believe because I CHOOSE to because of my OWN experiences that I have had happen to me... of course I cant prove them because they are personal.. the only thing I can do is talk about my own experiences.. but then again what good would that do? people will think i am a liar or will find a way to try to twist what I experienced around to what makes them more comfortable... I used to wonder the same thing about God and my favorite line was how can I believe in something I cant see? well after he proved himself to me because I SEEKED him was a HUGE answer to my question. It all starts within our hearts and what we are open to receiving and what our hearts REALLY desire... if you don't desire him or believe in him then you will never know him. Thats peoples answer to unanswered prayers and such... God knows your heart and what your intentions really are.

1. profile image0
          cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i can't help but feel annoyed when i read stuff like this and know there's stuff like this in the world:

http://www.thesahara.info/starving/starving_world.4.jpg

1. greeneyesH1982 profile image59

as i have said in other posts MAN is REALLY the culprit here... and i cant help but get annoyed when MAN want to blame God for what MAN DOES!!

1. profile image0

again, no one is blaming God.

they just wonder why he turns a blind eye to things like this while, say, getting someone's stuck car out of a snowbank so they won't be late for Thanksgiving dinner or something...

1. profile image0

You say you don't blame God, but yet when God gives you what you want, you say differently. God will not force anyone to come to Him. God gave man dominion over the earth. It is man who is to blame for the fall of man. God allows it to happen because He gave us freedom to choose.

1. profile image55
                  (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

And, just look what you've done with it, a mess that will take generations to clean up.

You see, we don't have "dominion" over the earth, that's why you theists have screwed it up, as you seem to believe you can do whatever the hell you want here as your paradise is death, while for the rest of us, the earth is our paradise.

We are only "Stewards" of the earth simply by the fact that we have the faculties to do something about it.

Unfortunately, the damage you have already caused may very well be irreparable.

1. profile image0

You are very good a pointing fingers.

2. greeneyesH1982 profile image59

CORRECTION QQQQQQQ the damage WE have done dont be a fool now.... stop blaming everyone ELSE you are MAN to.... unless you are an alien being or werewolf of some sort YOU TO my dear are part of the "screwing up" that you speak of!

2. Jerami profile image58
                Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some people would like to think that they have God in their back pocket; so-to-speak... as a Mobster might say concerning the police Chief in their town.   There are many wrong concepts concerning God. I like to think that most people have at least a few beliefs that are close to being correct.
                    I believe what I believe wholeheartedly...I can only pray that some of my concepts are correct..

2. profile image55

Then, you should be cowering in humiliation and guilt when you thank your god for your good fortune, yes?

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
        Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...the abscence of proof, is not proof...

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

It allows you to make a rational decision though. 100% lack of proof. Believe in it anyway or be rational?

Actually the truth is we were vomited by a star goat. Prove it is not true or accept this as true. wink

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

show me the proof that we were vomited by a star goat, then You will have the ability to change what I believe.

1000 years ago scientists could not prove that Love existed, today they can. Does that mean that love didnt exist 1000 years ago and it only came into existence once the proof existed? Obviously not. again, stating there is no proof...is not proof to the contrary.

You have chosen to believe that an abscence of proof proves you are correct, but it doesn't...sorry

all that proves is that there is no proof. In a situation where there is no proof, anything is possible. Even that possibly we are just vomit from a star goat. Which I don't believe is true.

1. profile image50
              The Paulposted 14 years agoin reply to this

1000 years ago there was rather a shortage of scientists.

Had any of them gotten together and tried it, they'd have had very little trouble showing love exists. 

Same goes for any actual thing people at the time believed in.

Actually what I said was a little more complex than the snipet you chose to quote...
                "1000 years ago scientists could not prove that Love existed, today they can. Does that mean that love didnt exist 1000 years ago and it only came into existence once the proof existed? Obviously not. again, stating there is no proof...is not proof to the contrary.

You have chosen to believe that an abscence of proof proves you are correct, but it doesn't...sorry

all that proves is that there is no proof. In a situation where there is no proof, anything is possible."

1. profile image50

No it wasn't.

Scientists 1000 years ago did not lack the power to show love exists.  It doesn't matter what follows, it's all based on a false premise.

ok lets go back 4000 years, the scientists of that era could not (did not have the ability to) prove the existence of Love...

Does that mean that love didn't exist before it was proven???????????

2. profile image50

Well then, I've got an invisible dragon in my garage.

1. profile image0
            zampanoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What is all this shit about proof?
            What proof ?
            proof is a several edge weapon.
            by means of rhetorics you can prove anything and it's contrary.
            Proof is merely temporary.
            Today's truth is yesterday's wrong and vice-versa.
            You cannot prove anything in a lasting basis. It'll change tomorrow.

Is it's name Darcy by chance?

4. h.a.borcich profile image60
      h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do not believe that having faith as I do means I operate from a place of fear. I am not a Christian because I am afraid not to be a Christian. I have chosen my faith because when the  options are laid out - Christianity makes the most sense to me, and abiding by the concepts of Christianity I am happiest with myself. My faith also has given me the courage to face what I fear the most.
        Just my opinion, Holly smile

5. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know I am a free thinker, totally unique yet I repeat what has already been said in my own style.

6. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Aka:
      Lets talk about this.
      First, so that we understand each other, what is this god thing you speak of? I can't accept opinion or conjecture so try to offer a definition that "factually" defines it..ok? Then I'd love a friendly chat with you about "its" generic potential..sound good? Go for it. I'm gonna have a cuppa coffee..:-)

7. profile image50

I don't ask for permission to think things are good or bad, I don't accept the musings of confused primitives as divine mandate, I haven't been trained to accept the desires of power-hungry mortals as the words of god, I can entertain hypothetical scenarios where my beliefs are wrong instead of just shouting "That's impossible, I know in my heart forever that I'm right."

That kinda thing in general.

8. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

huh? roll

9. profile image0

all free thinking is is basing your personal belief system around logic and scientific thought instead of religion. one thing i have noticed about many (not all) Christian people is that they don't want to explore or examine any other ways of thinking but their own, or even different concepts or ways of living. that. to me, is based on fear.

1. creepy profile image56
        creepyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

do you have scientific proof to back your claim

10. seriff profile image60
      seriffposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A true christian like myself shrugs the idea of being ridiculed and belittled because of our religion.  As a christian i can say that if people choose to be free thinkers or atheist, etc. then it is their right to do so.  I don't agree with it but to fight against them is precisely against everything i believe in.  You see God gave us all freedom to do whatever we choose in this life which means we have freedom of choice.  It also talks about these very types of people (atheists, freethinkers) in the new testament so we already know to watch out for them so again i say as a christian let them see for themselves where their own religion will get them.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There ya go, quoting from the bible that those who don't believe are somehow inferior! What is inferior is believing in a sky fairy because you are scared of the words of a few psychotic old men who wrote a book of fear and hate to control the ignorant! lol

It got me just where I want to be!
        thank you!

11. Colebabie profile image62
      Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I live my life based on my thoughts and ideas about the world not in fear of what will happen to me in the after-life. Does that answer your question? Or make any sense? smile

1. profile image0

It makes more sense than a lot of the crap on these threads that atheists spew.

1. Colebabie profile image62

Thanks. I'm not an atheist. And while a lot of what atheists say makes a lot of sense to me, a lot of it is also uncalled for.

1. profile image0

Though I didn't know you weren't an atheist, I didn't think you were. I would peg you more as a Buddhist, but that is just a guess.

big_smile

1. profile image0

I take it that I guessed rightly. wink

2. profile image55

Terribly sorry, SirDent. I apologize for myself for having introduced you to the real world. It may continue. smile

12. aware profile image69
      awareposted 14 years agoin reply to this

. free thinkers never claim truth

2. aka-dj profile image63
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

Free.."I can think whatever I want. I am free to interpret information at hand. I choose the one that best fits the evidence. If the evidence leans towards God, as a Higher power behind the evidence, I choose to "believe"."

Fear..."I can do the same as the free thinker, with one exception. I cannot interpret the data any other way but naturalistically, so I make up theories and fairy tales to(try and)explain it.
    (strictly speaking, I wouldn't call it fear thinking though!)Just LIMITED!

Yes. I see the difference!

1. tantrum profile image58

just like your post about having met God 30 years ago. you cannot interpret the data to others.
      LIMITED
      Limited by your hallucination.
      Stories and fairy tales.
      No proofs

aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was stupid once and believed all that evolution stuff.(interpreting the data)
        Now I'm just REAL stupid, and believe the God stuff.(Another way to interpret the data)
        But thank you for trying to be polite about it. (Hallucination?)

I'm not an Evolutionist.
          and I never said you were stupid.
          and I'm not trying to be polite.
          I am polite!

just imagine what other people could say about it !

Thank you!
            PS. If you are not an Evolutionist, what do you base your worldview on in regards to our origins then?

your welcome !

2. sooner than later profile image60
          sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haha, yeah well join the club.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

I think that makes my point quite well. Thanks. wink

My pleasure. big_smile

2. sooner than later profile image60
        sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Does a free thinker have to quote Dawkins all the time? lol

3. mohitmisra profile image61

One needs to be on a similar vibration to understand, relate and appreciate.

3. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Is anyone really a free thinker???
       This is just my opinion, but I think that We have all put limits on ourselves as to what is proof and what isn't. Our beliefs regardless of what they are; limits our thinking within the boundaries that we impose upon ourselves.
        We are only as free as we think that we are.
        And even that statement is limiting of itself.

1. Sa Toya profile image84
      Sa Toyaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree.

Whatever our we covertly impose boundaries on ourselves so our freedom of thought is relative to each individual.

I believe in God but if it was proven that He or any higher power DID NOT EXIST, minds would be changed. I'm a free thinker , but that's my opinion

4. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

where people give credit to god when they find gaps in their knowledge. Skeptical people(atheists/agnostics included) prefer to scrutinize but religious people end up only by attributing gap of knowledge to some god.

1. mohitmisra profile image61

Its the other way around.

just so !

5. skyfire profile image78

Really ? so sun was attributed as god by atheists ? do you want me to digg more examples ?

lol

2. mohitmisra profile image61

The seers are thinkers of the highest order.The minds of those for example who mapped the stars so accurately thousands of years ago were divine, extra ordinary.
      The saints invented the sciences including astronomy.

All is god and the sun is all well, without the sun we don't exist.

6. skyfire profile image78

Don't make me laugh on you mohit. Saints attributed earth as flat. and one of the famous disease as curse of god, remember "mata "disease in india ? your saints were calling them as curse of god till we got vaccines. now your saints are finding swine flu vaccine ?

and astronomy ? are you kidding me? if they were to invent astronomy how come they said earth is flat and tortured galileo and copernicus ? is that what you call freedom of speech and free thinking ?

Look up almanics for stars and you will find charts that were made thousands of years ago.Science has gradually uncovered what has been said in some of them as we needed instruments like the telescope to able to to do so and is unable to understand how they did in those times.

7. skyfire profile image78

So you still support that statement don't you ? by theway, your god knowledge gave you exact estimate of how many solar systems are there in universe ? give me the number and way to validate it,if you can prove it with any saint texts.

I will give you another example .

The cow is considered as a holy animal because it is a sustainer of life, it provides nutrition,fuel and shelter.
      This is why it is taken as divine as god as it sustains life .Similarly the wind rain, sun.

I  don't know how many universe are there I have god knowledge to a certain extent but don't have all knowledge.

They have given us a lot of astronomy , the stars around us are charted with superb accuracy thousands of years ago.

8. skyfire profile image78

Take your time to find that out mohit. The day you come up with empirical evidence of number of solar systems that you found with spirituality and [prophet/saint knowledge, and gave me method to check the validity of it. I'll join theism.

Till then what you preach will not make an inch effect on my skepticism, try you best.

I am letting you know hat science was the result of sages and not atheists.
      I have knowledge of the light, of enlightenment  and am not interested in knowing how many solar systems are there.

9. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 14 years ago

I won't even do it. Man, the trouble I could start in here.

lollolol Having already laid out my view of the logical mind applied by all the great thinkers in here. I will refrain. smile

No I am not generalizing.

I am sure you all know who I am, and who I am not reffering too.

lolol I told you. It would be easy. Too easy.lol

10. skyfire profile image78

How convenient isn't it ? i mean if it gets discovered in old age it gets in domain of saints/theism ?and you think current science is atheistic ?

You don't understand that science has nothing to do with theological stance. Theists take advantage of science to put grip on people using religion/politics. You think all those people who were exploring universe earlier were theist ? i pity your knowledge. they were skeptics(regardless of their theism or atheism).

I said it started with the sages. The oldest spiritual text the Holy Vedas means science.

Many great scientists believed in a higher intelligence .

11. skyfire profile image78

Remember earth as flat argument ? you want me to dig medical science now ?

escapism at it's best. why you're not interested ? let me know it can you try to find that for me ? you knowing light can find that much faster isn't it ? Make use of your knowledge for others if you think you have it. I can put better challenge to you but solar systems challenge is enough one.

I am a Science graduate and I don't know how many solar systems are there in this universe, if you ever let me know I will become an atheist.
      To search  out how many solar systems are there, that would be very foolish on my path as I know god is infinite and this cosmos is gods extension.

Have more important work to do.

12. skyfire profile image78

Are you kidding me ? celts and mayans were much earlier civilization and perished before vedas writing. So you mean they didn't know about science ? stop preahing vedas as pages of science.

what was there in rigveda ? brihaspati,indra and bagpiper whisky(aka somrus) isn't it ? you call that science of wine ?

Biology, Chemistry, Physics - Holy Vedas .

13. skyfire profile image78

Search google for " Appeal to popularity" logical fallacy.

Do you want me to mention names?

1. skyfire profile image78
        skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LolDo you understand " Appeal to popularity" logical fallacy  ? big_smile

I can give you more names of scientists who are skeptics/atheist/agnostic. Want to give this one shot ?

Albert Einstein ? No one can call him stupid.

14. skyfire profile image78

Good Joke.

15. skyfire profile image78

Lol, i pity your reasoning. Science will only know the number which we can possibly explore and the current known number is always shifting.

Can your god knowledge gives me exact number ? or you prefer to shift the burden of proof for your god knowledge ?

escaping again ? you have god knowledge right? so is it hard to find out simple answer to find out ? i mean you mock science over your spirituality, why don't you try and ask god the exact number ?

I am interested in uniting all religions a far more important task for me, this is a very strange request.

I said infinite.

I repeat many of the greatest scientists  and mathematicians were believers with some dedicating their revelation of knowledge through god.Its a different medium of getting knowledge .

16. profile image50
    The Paulposted 14 years ago

Albert Einstein was never really a theist, though.  He liked to wax poetic about the universe and he used the word "god" a lot when he did.  He wasn't a theist, and said on several occasions he found the idea of a personal god to be childish.

Someone of his intelligence should have known that theists, being so often unconcerned with the truth as they are, would later use those comments to misrepresent him and give false credence to their ideas.

But that just goes to show you, "Einstein said it," doesn't make it true.

He could see the intelligence required that created , organised and sustained this universe and marveled on it.Openly stating that even he was insignificant compared to such intelligence.

Look prove your intelligence rather than saying someone like Einstein should have had the intelligence like you have lot more and he was not intelligent.

Was he one of the greatest scientists ever.

He hated it when atheists misquoted him.So lets not speak in the name of science .

1. profile image50

Even if this empty appeal to authority wasn't a logical fallacy, I still wouldn't need to prove my intelligence in relation to Einstein.  He didn't believe in anything you would recognize as a god.

You need to prove it since you believe he was not intelligent enough as he is an acknowledged mind while you are not.
          What does higher intelligence mean to you?

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views." Albert Einstein

1. profile image50

No I don't, and for two reasons:

1) This is an appeal to authority.  It doesn't really matter what Einstein believed.  That fact that he was a supremely gifted physicist doesn't make him right about everything else in the world, or even everything in physics.  He's famous, it doesn't make everything he ever said true.

The rational world doesn't work like Religion.  Einstein is not Jesus or Mohammed, or Joseph Smith, we don't pretend he spoke with some divinity backing him up.  He was just some guy.  A very talented guy, but not fundamentally different from anyone else in the world.  Einstein himself understood that, knew we would have no reason to simply accept the things he said because of who said them.  That's why he did proper science, illustrated to the rest of the world why we should believe his ideas about relativity.

We don't put stock in his theories because it was Einstein who wrote them, we put stock in his theories because he supplied good, compelling reasons why we should think they are true.

Just going "Well Einstein said..." isn't good enough.  Einstein himself certainly would never have accepted such a weak argument.

2) Einstein isn't on your side anyway.  He didn't believe in a personal god.  He believed there was a core set of operating principles for the universe.  A single set of rules which governed all of matter, energy, and even time, and he considered these forces and an understanding of them to be God.

This was a god that could grant tremendous power and knowledge to its followers, but not a god that could be invoked, prayed to, or influenced by our desires.  Prayer, meditation, supposedly revealed holy texts, all those things were useless for approaching Einstein's god, only mathematics and science had any hope of telling us anything about it.

Einstein's god was not at all similar to the god of any organized world religion.

1. profile image55

Damn, I wish I'd have said that first. Well done, sir!

17. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 14 years ago

It isn't scientists' beliefs, I quetion. But what the scientists believe. ie; Theories. Or their conclusions they base as fact on them.

18. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

no, just my own experience and observations. isn't that good enough?

no there must be tangible proof

19. profile image0

roll

what, the definition of "free thinkers"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_thinkers

see, just like i said.

wikipedia is not a good source and i was being facetious

20. profile image0

oh boy roll

21. caravalhophoto profile image60
    caravalhophotoposted 14 years ago

sad

22. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

I'm easy but I'm not cheap! smile

23. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Einstein went to a catholic school and was indoctrinated with religion which he tried to relate to his science. Like many geniuses, Einstein was not terribly smart in some ways. smile

24. jenblacksheep profile image68
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

I think the attempts of defining Free and Fear at the beginning have lead to there being more confusion than is really necessary. This is my take on it:

Atheists refer to themselves as "Free Thinkers" like a name. A religious person will never be included in this. They refer to themselves as Free Thinkers because their actions aren't guided by what God says is right or wrong, where as a believer would perhaps refrain from a certain action purely because God says you shouldn't. An example: In the Torah it says you shouldn't mix milk and meat. There is no moral reason not to do this. The only reason a person would choose not to mix milk and meat is because it says so in the Torah and it is God's word.

I think you can be free and still come to the conclusion that God exists. We all have the ability to think of ourselves (being free) but that doesn't mean everyone will choose not to believe in God. Someone who blindly does what their parents/peers says and believes (or non-believes) because that's what they've been told to do is NOT free. Or at least, has not used their freedom. Does that makes sense. Different type of freedom to 'Free Thinkers' though.

25. tantrum profile image58
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

lol

26. Colebabie profile image62
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

No, I actually don't have a religion. I wrote a Hub about it. I just find it funny that you think I'm a Buddhist. I've read some books as Buddhism. But I've also been to an Episcopal, Catholic, and Baptist church, and go to Temple for bat/barmitzvah's in my family. Still no religion for me smile

1. profile image0

My apologies. Are you Jewish by any chance? I only ask because you mentioned Bar/batmizvah's.

No apology necessary. I love that I have no religion. My boyfriend doesn't either. I'm not Jewish. But my grandmother and my father's side (but not him) of the family is. I also live in South Florida and have lots of Jewish friends. So I've been to quite a few bar/batmitzvahs and Jewish weddings smile

1. profile image0

I have always wondered about Jewish weddings. I searched for them on the net, but you can't trust much of what you find. You wouldn't happen to know of a good site that shows the real Jewish wedding would you?

Umm not off hand, but I could look it up. What are you wondering about them?

1. profile image0

I don't want to cause you nay trouble. I really would like to know everyhting about them. After the initial courtship I mean.

The ceremony and reception I would think. Maybe one of oyur friends would know of a good site. No big hurry either.

Is it warm in Florida this morning?

27. Colebabie profile image62

I mean here are some basics, but I'm not sure what you're looking for. I just Googled Jewish Weddings. http://www.myjewishlearning.com/life/Li … ding.shtml

Umm not so warm according to Florida standards. It is about 42 and raining.

1. profile image0

It is in the teens here with snow. The sun just started shining though so maybe it will warm up to the 20's.

Thanks for the link. big_smile

28. profile image0
    SirDentposted 14 years ago

I am leaving for a while so will see you later. I bookmarked the link so I can study it later. I may actually do a hub on it but not sure.

29. Colebabie profile image62

Ok, have a good day smile

30. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

I need to have 2 questions answered before I can respond to this question.
    1. What is this god thing? No opinion will be accepted.
    2. What do ya mean by "free thinker?"
    Once I get the answer to both of those questions, I'll be intellectually equipped to consider them and respond thoughtfully.
    OK? go for it.
    Thanks

so you're only intellectually equipped, if one offers you a crutch?
      I'm sorry!  I didn't know you were lame

2. profile image0

To the first question , I dunno.
      What's this god thing, maybe it comes with misery and empoverishment (both material and intellectuel (spiritual?)). Like a buoy you can grab when you feel you're sinking.
      It's due to a lack of education in a majority of cases.
      hehehe (I'm talking like cagsil...)

A free thinker is an agnostic who possesses a level of education high enough to build his own conceptual system from thinkers he approves of and eventually make it evolve with his own contributions.
      Generally the free thinker proves himself he is not too deviant from reason, by exposing his thoughts to others and finding exchange echos from them with proselytism excluded.
      In other words, a free thinker is someone who believes what he wants with no dogma at the top.
      By definition, he must be open minded, and accept other conceptual systems as if it were an excercice of logic permutation, provided it is intellectually rich enough.

I consider myself a 'free thinker' but I'm definately not Agnostic.

\
          Free thinker? Oh you mean accepting one single solitary idea without proof? LOL

And rejecting all the others. I see what you mean. How free is that.

Again with the changing of my words...
            No I don't mean---> "Oh you mean accepting one single solitary idea without proof?"

If I had meant that I would have said that. You want it to mean that, that is why YOU said that.

Lost me. You absolutely believe the god of the bible exists - despite the lack of proof. And are utterly closed to the possibility that you are wrong.

And this is free thinking? How exactly?

You wish I thought this way, but obviously I don't
                ---> "You absolutely believe the god of the bible exists - despite the lack of proof. And are utterly closed to the possibility that you are wrong."

The only thing I'm 'utterly closed' to is the acceptance of your unfounded beliefs, without the proof to make them 'founded beliefs'.

So being utterly closed to the possibility that the god of the bible does not exist is being "free thinking"?

Once again - I am not understanding this.

There is no proof that the easter bunny does not exist, so I take it you just believe everything unless proof against is provided.

Except the possibility that the god of the bible does not exist.

Is this the only thing you are closed to - Or do you make other  exceptions?

1. profile image0

I have actually seen the easter bunny.
                    Every year.
                    And this is a fact.
                    But is it proof that it exists ?
                    No.
                    The fact that I "see" with these eyes that will come back to the dust they came from, doesn't prove a thing.
                    Just energy waves exciting cells at the bottom of my retina

Again, as always, your writing something different, claiming that your 'new words' mean the same thing as the words that I wrote...which is incorrect. New words mean a different meaning...

What I am saying:

The abscense of proof, proves nothing except that there is no proof.

In a situation where there is no proof to the contrary, anything is possible.

If you wish to change my unfounded beliefs, You must provide proof that your beliefs are founded, (proven).

Show me the Proof.

2. profile image0

You cannot be a free thinker if you are not agnostic.
          Because if you are not agnostic, you must accept some starting dogma. (this is my starting dogma hehehe)
          Can you be a thinker ?

So for you only Agnostics can be free thinkers ?
            that's not a free thinker, thinking, I think
            lol

1. profile image0

So, anybody is free thinker.
              Maybe we shoud define the term "thinker"
              I am associating this with education, instruction.
              The more you have, the more you are "free" to pick what you want.
              tantrum(a) Sorry, but I've exclude atheists and rationalists.
              And I keep the choice.

why make it that difficult?

Free thinker: someone free to think ,and to come to his own conclusions, despite, society norms, background, knowledge, religion.
                Accepting others thinking as well.

1. profile image0

for tantrum(a)
                  That's about what I said.
                  Excite me. I love it.

Very exiting !!!

lol

31. Petra Vlah profile image60
    Petra Vlahposted 14 years ago

Qwark is right again; a diluted question will get a diluted answer in the best of cases.

1. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ty  Petra...:-)

32. aware profile image69
    awareposted 14 years ago

hi tantrum

hi aware ! big_smile

33. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

anything is possible...

...without proof to the contrary...

34. aware profile image69
    awareposted 14 years ago

thinking isnt free . it comes with a heavy cost. no wait, thats freedom . my bad

1. profile image0

Yes. I agree, when you assume the consequences of your "doctrine" that you apply to yourself.

35. profile image0

Now.
    There must be a difference between "free" thinker and "rogue" thinker.
    But there is something like "wild thinking".

36. profile image0

Try to find a translation in your tongue of Claude Levy-Strauss's "La pensée sauvage".
    It'll be good for you.
    You may read it while sipping a Guiness pint, which is also good for you.
    hehehe

37. aware profile image69
    awareposted 14 years ago

does a bald guy believe in hair?

1. profile image0

is your memory proof enough that you once had hair ?
      hehehe

2. profile image50

A better question would be does a bald man living in some weird alternate world where no one has hair and no person has ever had hair believe in hair.

...yes, he believes in hair until we rearrange a hypothetical situation to the point where hair has stopped existing.

38. profile image0

Oh ! I forgot to add in my definition of what is a free thinker,
    that he must be a citizen from freedonia.
    This is a mandatory condition.

39. Webmatron profile image58
    Webmatronposted 14 years ago

I don't believe that belief or non belief in a god/deity/flying spaghetti monster has much to do with whether or not a person is or isn't a free thinker.

*How* they formed their beliefs can be a kind of a test of the level of their freedom though.  The relevant question in is whether their belief or non belief is dependent on the beliefs of others.  If they must scaffold their beliefs with the words and philosophies of others in order for them to be credible to themselves, then that's not freedom.

If, on the other hand, they draw a rational conclusion based on personal, albeit perhaps anecdotal evidence, then they are free thinkers in the metaphysical department.

I would venture though, that a free thinking believer in God's God could not be contained by any religion that wasn't agnostic at the core.  So a free thinker is likely to lean towards either de facto agnosticism, atheism, Buddhism, or perhaps a west African or Hindu faith that renders any concept of God or spirits that we can possibly think of, inaccurate by default of our inability to abide in more than 3 dimensions.

So one would have to abandon any and all presumption of what God is, and admit that the only things we have to relate to it are woefully inadequate physical filters such as our minds and bodies.  Even if exposed to this Force, the moment we attempted to open our mouths and explain our experiences, we would be lying...justifiably, because we would indeed be doing the best that we can, but still way off and nowhere near Absolute Truth.

A free thinking true atheist, by the same, cannot be the equivalent of a child clapping his hands over his ears and screaming.  They must be rationally concluding that there is no God and no room to speculate on whether or not there is by virtue of sound conclusions based on knowledge and experience.

Since the existence of God can scientifically be neither proven nor disproven, all of our guesses are mere musings.  I'd consider someone free who could admit to this, and stuck to the issue of whether or not the belief or disbelief does them any good.

It has done me a great deal of good to abandon the Santa Claus concept of God, and to pray only in gratitude or for forgiveness (which since I don't go for the Santa concept, does not mean accountability gets magically erased).  I personally think belief in God, the way I believe, keeps me aware that I am not smarter than nature.

If someone could prove to me that there are only 3 dimensions, and that a 3 dimensional view of reality is the only valid one, I'm all ears.  Until then, I'm cool with YWH in the non primitive sense, and I hope It's cool with me.

YWH?

2. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do not get why anyone would even bother with the whole god story! Why listen to a bunch of wowsers telling others how to run their lives?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)