I have been plagerized on Hub Pages

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (24 posts)
  1. akeejaho profile image60
    akeejahoposted 15 years ago

I am kinda flattered, but mad as a wet hornet.  Has anyone here ever heard of barryrutherford?  Well, compare his Hub, Bipolar,more on this subject, and
    So, whats wrong with being bipolar?  I mean, good grief!  And this guys profile says he has studied law.  (Studied, but dosen't understand it evedently

2. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

I flagged his - you should 2 -  he'll get banned soon

3. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

I flagged it also. I think you can safely say good bye to Barry smile

How dumb can you get? I mean, really ! Copying a hub and pasting it at hubpages lol What a waste of time.

4. dayzeebee profile image67
    dayzeebeeposted 15 years ago

i flagged it now too. hope everything turns out well.

5. rmr profile image69
    rmrposted 15 years ago

Ditto.

6. terenceyap07 profile image60
    terenceyap07posted 15 years ago

I've flagged him, too. Be at ease, my friend. Everything is going to be alright.

7. akeejaho profile image60

Thank you all for your support, comments and actions.  I too flagged the article,but I was soflustered I did not write to Hub as per their instructions, yet. 

Wow!  What a community I have found.  Thanks too you all once again.
    I checked out his other Hubs but didn't see anything else that was as flagrant as the one he took from me.  I hope no one else has been victimized.  (I feel so exposed!)  LOL
    I also contacted him through E-Mail. 
    Tootles to Barry!  Hubbers Unite!
    I

1. profile image0
      daflaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You can use copyscape.com to find plagiarized hubs.  It finds duplicate content. It's common now for people overseas to plagiarize, knowing that nobody is going to pursue legal action overseas for one post.

I wish there was some way people could get together as a group and get a lawyer to represent them for overseas cases.  There is one person who has about 10 websites from China where all they do is copy and paste English blog posts. 

One way to protect yourself is to put a signature line in all of your hubs, or to link back to a page somewhere that says "If you are not reading this at xxxx.com (url of your post), this article is plagiarized.  Please contact me (give contact link) to report it. Thank you."

Those that copy and paste will not even know it's in there, and they will get caught.  When someone contacts you, write to the site's domain provider and they will usually pull the site.

1. Shirley Anderson profile image72
        Shirley Andersonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Shane's right!  This is incredibly awesome advice, thx!!

2. akeejaho profile image60
        akeejahoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much for that information.  Great advice, and I will check that Web site

8. crashcromwell profile image67
    crashcromwellposted 15 years ago

That is awesome advice dafla!

9. amy jane profile image69
    amy janeposted 15 years ago

I flagged it too...I hope it gets taken care of soon. smile

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ditto. . . !!!!!!!

10. profile image0
    daflaposted 15 years ago

I tried searching some of his other content on Google, and it's not even indexed.  Surprisingly, his   plagiarized hub is indexed for the content, and yours isn't.  Strange, because yours was published first, and his should have been flagged by Google as duplicate content.  You can write to Google about this, and they may (never can tell with Google) remove him from the index and put you in, and if they find plagiarism, they will put all of his future postings anywhere online into a sandbox (a place where no one can see them).

You can also file a DMCA complaint with his ISP, and they may cancel his account.  You can find info on how to do that here:

http://www.seologic.com/faq/dmca-notifications.php

11. Marian Swift profile image60
    Marian Swiftposted 15 years ago

Flagged and thumbed.

Thank you, Dafla, for your warning -- I had no idea that copy mills existed -- and for your great advice!

12. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Unfortunatley this is not the first time I have seen plagiarism here at Hubpages.  There is one person who pretends to be two different people, and one profile copies news articles from British websites and pastes these into the Hubs.  Sadly, plagiarism happens, so I just report it and give the moderator the link where I found the copied content.

13. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 15 years ago

I tried that copyscape.com out, but it doesn't matter what I type in it always says I've "exceeded my ten searches"

1. profile image0

It's blocked Hubpages for some reason.  I can scan other sites, but not Hubpages.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
        pauldeedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

They only give 10 free searches in each domain, each month.  For hubpages.com those get used up pretty fast.  You can buy more searches for 5 cents each by signing up for copyscape premium.

1. profile image0

I guess they'd have to do that, or places like this would use up a lot of bandwidth!  It might be worth paying for a premium membership if you are a serious web writer.

I was surprised that a lot of the copy I tried to Google wasn't even indexed.

14. ProCW profile image80
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

Hate to have to add my two cents... sad

I've come across hubs that are duplicate - verbatim - word-for-word copies from other pages off of the net as well.

I've searched (with quotes) on google and found that the hubs were published after the original article. I've flagged the hubs that I've come across and sadly... nothing was done. I don't know if HP is overwhelmed or something, but it really is wrong to have duplicate content here.

Whether or not the hubber has been here for a month, a year... 2 years... get over it and get rid of them.

ATTN: Plagiarists. I'm telling you now... regardless of your location (in or out of the USA,) I will file a lawsuit if you plagiarize any of my work. I will win. You will lose. You will pay hefty fines. You will go to jail.

It really isn't that difficult to create original work. You can even base your work on something else, however it is morally and ethically wrong (not to mention illegal) to copy someone else's work.

You need quotes if you're quoting the author. You need a link if you're using their RSS feed(s). (Regarding RSS... I've checked up on it... unless the original author provides a creative commons or similar license in the original work, it is illegal to duplicate or "re-mix" the content fully, without prior consent of the copyright holder.)

I'm thinking of starting a online writer's guild to help combat plagiarists.

PLAGIARISTS... BEWARE!

1. SweetiePie profile image81
      SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

ProCW, you know I think you always give great advice and ideas, but I just wanted to say other countries do not always abide by the same copyright laws as the US, so their is no guarantee that a plagiarist would go to jail for their crime or even be prosecuted.  It all depends on the laws of the country.  Of course I hate plagiarism as much as you, but unfortunately we may not be able to control all of it on the Internet.  Do google searches to ensure your work is not being copied will help to curb plagiarism.

15. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

This has been discussed several times before, but just because something has been copied it doesn't necessarily mean that the rights holder didn't give permission.    We don't remove hubs just because they are duplicated, we remove hubs when a DMCA complaint has been filed.   When we identify duplicate content it simply means that the HubScore will be reduced for that hub (and when chronic, for that author).

So, I'd encourage you to not just flag the hub on HubPages as a duplicate, but to contact whomever you think is content owner and give them a link to the hub and instructions for filing a complaint.  When we receive a valid DMCA complaint, the hub will be removed (typically within hours).  Serious or repeated violations will result in the author being banned.

16. akeejaho profile image60

I hardly know where to begin.  Thanks for all the advice and help from you all.  I will be lodging a formal complaint when I get out of forum.  This is the first opportunity since I got home from work to get on the ol puter!

About the Writer's guild, well, whatrthedues?  I'll sign up!

I do know I will be reading the Hubs a little closer and I will contact any author if I ever see an article I even suspect has been fivefingered, borrowed, stolen or just plain plagiarized or other wise not belonging to the dude,(dudet) who's name appears on it. 

Procw, I couldn't have said it any better myself.  My Hubs hold my blood sweat and tears, and having them plundered by the boob down under just burns my butt.  So, what you said, Ditto.  (That isn't plagiarizm, is it?)

But, I will say it is oddly flattering that someone felt I had something important enough to say that they wanted to take it as their own.  (Now if that ain't perverse, I don't know what is!)  And the thing is, I didn't even think the Hub was all that good!  (But don't tell anyone!)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)