What's your favorite fish and tell us about it

Jump to Last Post 1-44 of 44 discussions (78 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

Fun stuff:

Tell us your Favorite marine creature (yes a real one) and why you like it so much.

My personal favorite is: Opah a Hawaiian fish in the king mackerel family. Cool skin, fast like a tuna. Legend has it that Opah was never to be bought or sold but given as a gift.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well, sea creatures, anyway: dolphins. here is a video of them blowing bubbles, then swimming through them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMCf7SNUb-Q

i also think whales are magnificent. so intelligent and wise. i cringe when i read about them being slaughtered in Japan sad

i also think Moon jellyfish are pretty extraordinary looking.

2. Michael Shane profile image63
      Michael Shaneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Definitely, Bass! Nothing like catching a monster Bass...

1. dave4699 profile image61
        dave4699posted 14 years agoin reply to this

White Sturgeon - this is the real monster!! Check out '  The Great White Sturgeon"

3. ashrafjee profile image61
      ashrafjeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

did you know about fishing what i say it is love hunting tips not fishing.

thanks for coments

4. profile image52
      lukasaltarposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My favorite fish is jhinga and katla fish. These fish are found in the bay of Bengal. I am very fond of them.
      http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Weider-X- … id=3860999

2. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Freshwater-to catch whitebass, to eat bluegill
    Saltwater-to catch kingfish, to eat cod
    White bass because they fight good and you can catch them in bunches, bluegill are a firm and mild flavored.
    Kingfish are a blast to catch and are great fighters, cod is a nice tasting white and flaky.
    Crossover fish has to be salmon.

1. ashrafjee profile image61

oho its not about fishing its love hunting tips with archives.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

baked trout

One boned 8 oz trout
    6 slices of lemon
    4 tablespoons of lemon pepper
    3 tablespoon of butter
    1 and one half cup of water.
    onions and soy sauce inside if you want
    and little salt outside the trout

Place the fish in suitably sized baking pan with water.

and then Open the fish and spread with the butter. then place the 4 lemon slices inside trout, add the tablespoons of the lemon pepper.Close the fish and spread the remainder of butter on top. Place the other 2 lemon slices on top of the butter and then sprinkle with the remainder of the lemon pepper.

then you can bake at 350°F for twenty minutes., YUM YUM YUM

1. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Classic recipe. love it!
      used to steam Pompano like that, just falls off da bone.
      like butta!

2. ashrafjee profile image61

yamee good tast but my tips for Love birds.

4. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

For majesty and awe: The Orca (Killer) Whale. Beautiful, amazing, mesmerizing creatures. ETA: Yes, I know they're mammals and not really fish.

To eat: That's a toughie; blue crab, shrimp...catfish. All good stuff in a myriad of preparations.

5. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

Catfish.  Fun to catch, fun to eat.  Plus, I love the oxymoron name.

Had to jump in.  Just left a thread where they're agruing about whether pictures used as avatars are really the person or not.

6. AnythingArtzy profile image67
    AnythingArtzyposted 14 years ago

I love tuna, salmon, perch, and bass all to eat. along with shrimp and want to try lobster. lol

7. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

To Eat: Buttery Shrimp, Crab Meat, Tuna, Salmon, & (The C.O.D. at McDonald's lol)

To Look At: Beta Fish, Otherwise Known as the Chinese Fighting Fish. Small but so very beautiful smile

8. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I love catching and eating flounder! Why? They're fun to catch, and it's easy to get 4 fillets from each fish. They're also tasty, with white flaky flesh and a mild flavor.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're right on both counts!smile

9. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Sharks please. Seeing great whites breach is on my bucket list.

10. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Sharks are pretty tasty, too, if you prepare and cook them right!

11. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

The "Picasso" fish...simply for its artistic beauty...
    they are also very funny to watch swim

12. profile image0
    sophsposted 14 years ago

To eat- Prawns, Salmon, and loooaaddss more! smile (are prawns fish, hmmnn)?

And clown fish! Becausen I LOVE Nemo, and whatever fish Dorey is, as I love her too! smile (not to eat though) smile

13. Sab Oh profile image57
    Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

Fugu.

Also, while whales aren't fish, they're tasty!

1. profile image0
      sophsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yikes

14. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

Large mouth bass....

but enough about my ex... lets get back on topic

1. profile image0

Hahaha! smile

2. myownworld profile image73
      myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you've met my ex too, eh? smile

1. myownworld profile image73

no, and after this, don't wish to either! wink

2. myownworld profile image73

no, but after this, don't wish to either! wink

15. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

When I met her I thought she was my 'sole' mate,

Then as time went on our love started to 'flounder'

She would start to 'carp' at me all the time, and we would often get into a 'roe'

In the end she bacame very 'brill' and refused to even play with my 'cockle'

1. myownworld profile image73

lol
      ok. that does it. I'm turning vegetarian!!

2. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this
      1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i hate people who use puns

16. Elynjo profile image60
    Elynjoposted 14 years ago

Cowfish, the yellow colored one. It is a very interesting fish with its long pointy horns and a boxy square-cut face, not to mention those emerald eyes.

1. profile image0

Oooooo, I like the sound of this one! smile

17. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

http://allquirknoplay.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/prawns-and-garlic.jpg

1. profile image0

Mmmmmmmmm smile

18. Fluffymetal profile image75
    Fluffymetalposted 14 years ago

I love catching bass, eating flounder, and the souls of dolphins.

19. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 14 years ago

Dolphins!! omg i love dolphins they are the most beautiful creatures ever!

20. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

As a fisherman I would say bream is my favorite fish. It is a fighter and it is good eating.

I like whales but they aren't really fish. Not happy with the Japanese over whaling.

Not sure if dolphins can be put in the fish category but I like them hanging around.

1. Pearldiver profile image68
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The last thing you need hanging around when you are fishing for bream or anything else... has to be dolphins hmm

If they are around... you won't catch fish mate sad

1. Rod Marsden profile image67
        Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I beg to differ....I have known dolphins to catch their fill and actually chase bream onto your line. Besides, when the bream are on the move in autumn they are really on the move. Go fishing the wrong time of year or the wrong spot and of course its a different story.

21. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Gotta Love the Nudibranches.... Taste like S... but always look good! hmm

22. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

I like freshly caught fish especially caught by yours truly. I use a rod and a reel so the fish do have a reasonably good chance of getting away.

I am not at all keen on the practices of some nations when it comes to fishing. There are oceans, seas, lakes and rivers very much in danger of being fished out. How do we get the message out that fish species are heading for extinction? How do we get the message out that the supply of fish in our oceans, seas and rivers is actually finite and can come to an end if we do nor husband resources properly?

Modern fishing equipment such as the use of sonar means we really do have to understand fish numbers and try very hard not to over fish and require others to do the same.

1. mlakhany profile image57
      mlakhanyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In California there are strict limitations as to how many of each kind of fish you can catch in a day. After that you are sent home. By the way where did you learn that fish are finite. I do not believe that statisticians or anyone has even a near accurate count of sea creatures including fish in the ocean.

23. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

great white shark because I like its teeth

24. Pearldiver profile image68

OMG you Alvy fishermen can only dream about NZ sealife lol
    I've fished and dived most of my life... I do think I know a wee bit about the sea and fishing.. though I have to admit I never believed you could catch much in Sydney harbour, until I saw how many bodies got fished out of it each month lol

Aussi... Nearly lost the cricket again today huh? hmm lol

1. Rod Marsden profile image67
      Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Never fished NZ but I would like to.

No, you can't catch much worth catching in Sydney Harbour. I had a few goes when I was younger but I didn't like it. Besides, it is still quite a poluted harbour.

When I fish it is either around Wollongong or in northern NSW near the Queensland border.

Nothing wrong with using an Alvy. I prefer them to those Japanese mixmaster style reels.

25. Sufidreamer profile image78
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

I love Eels - an absolutely amazing life story. smile

Have to agree, PD, I would say that the Australian Cricket Team is in a severe decline. Looks like their time at the top is nearly over neutral

26. Pearldiver profile image68

Hi Sufi..... Was your reference to eels a subtle reference to the Aussi Cricket team whojust managed to slip into a winning situation against the Kiwis today??? lol

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It was indeed.

At this rate, they will soon be as bad as England lol

Sad to see the mighty fall and have to rely upon the Duckworth/Lewis method to steal a win sad

27. torimari profile image66
    torimariposted 14 years ago

I like that big err, maui maui fish? Iono. It is Hawaii's international fish I believe.

28. aloft52 profile image61
    aloft52posted 14 years ago

The Giant Bluefin Tuna. There is no other rush like the initial run of a 500+ pound fish that just figured out all is not right with the world. The end product is in the form of a nice check freom the buyer, and the freshest tuna possible. After cleaning the fish onboard the boat we always would have a little "sushi feed" on the way in.
    Aloft52

29. cjmo75 profile image60
    cjmo75posted 14 years ago

I love to catch largemouth bass.  I know the fight is nothing like a salt water fish, but it's still a lot of fun.

30. kateb123 profile image60
    kateb123posted 14 years ago

Fish terrify me. Always nipping at your toes while you're swimming in the lake... *shudders*. I vote Orca, or Killer Whale. Whale's in general actually. That's the Canadian signature sea creature.

And I don't like to eat fish either, as I'm allergic.

Which begs the question, why I am posting here to begin with......?

31. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

I like the fish finger fish created by Captain Birdseye, a man made fish that tastes quite nice with a little red sauce and a few chips....

32. Obscure Divine profile image60
    Obscure Divineposted 14 years ago

I like to eat fried, breaded catfish...and I also enjoy making salmon patties from the can, but for self-gratifying moments:  There's nothing like catching large or small-mouth bass, skinning 'em, and deep-frying their cold-blooded ass!

1. profile image0

you are a twisted, but delightful human OD. lol!
      fry `em!

1. Obscure Divine profile image60
        Obscure Divineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks; if I could fan you back twice, I would...oh, wait a minute:  I already did!  You gained 2 hub-stones in one throw, a while back...  Ya know?  wink

1. profile image0

yip. sorry, a bit slow today. recovering from an attempted stoning yesterday.

missed me by 'that much'. lol

speaking of stones: stone crab are awesome!

Yeah, but King Crab kicks ass!  Oh, Snow Crab is pretty damn awesome, as well.  tongue

1. profile image0

emm, you know they have a cure for that...lol

I drank that potion before, but it never worked for long term; please inform me about the cure for something that isn't curable...  LOL!

33. samboiam profile image60
    samboiamposted 14 years ago

Beer battered catfish. Yum yum.

34. profile image0
    Lecieposted 14 years ago

blue gill, they're just about the only fish i can catch in the local creeks. once in a while i get a bass. for the most part it's just dozens of blue gill. makes for a fun day.

Well, at least the bait is cheap - with or without the worms.  You can catch those chubby short-framed fish with simple "bread balls" on a hook.  I always thought bass and catfish tasted better, but the fish you speak about, make for great "poor boy" meals.

1. profile image0
        Lecieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i never eat them. i catch and release. fishing to me is a fun activity but i can't stand to eat the fish. they have such sad faces when i pull them out. i always toss them back with my thanks for a day well spent in the outdoors.

35. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

For grilled fish, I prefer grouper because the fillets are thick.

36. cjmo75 profile image60
    cjmo75posted 14 years ago

I love fishing for largemouth bass.  There's nothing like having a bass slam down your bait and run with it!

Now that's a loaded statement...  Ha-ha!

37. flread45 profile image59
    flread45posted 14 years ago

Barbequed at that.

38. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Guess I'd have to say my favorite would be goldfish. 

Not to eat, of course.  Hate fish.

39. Sab Oh profile image57

Did anyone mention fugu yet?

40. NorwinGalle profile image59
    NorwinGalleposted 14 years ago

My all favorite are Ariel, Flounder, Sebastian, Sharkanians shown in Walt Disney's "The Little Mermaid"

41. Sab Oh profile image57

Did anyone mention Abe Vigota yet?

42. PackSecure profile image60
    PackSecureposted 14 years ago

My favorite fish was my pet "Goldeen".  Goldeen was a gold fish that lived about 6-7 years.  The fish got huge for a gold fish.  I miss Goldeen.

sad

43. profile image50
    fishingspoonsposted 13 years ago

My favorite fish is Bass, I love the time spent fishing for them, catching them and especially eating them!  Bass fishing is one of the most challenging and fun types of fishing in my opinion and I think anyone who is serious about freshwater fishing will agree with me on this point.

44. profile image0
    Pezzyposted 13 years ago

Pickeral, which most folks don't consider because of the fine bones in the fillets. Trick is, fillet the fish, put in blender which elimates the fine bones, make into patties, apply breading with bread crumbs egg milk and fry. Tastes great.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)