What Confuses You About the Bible?

Jump to Last Post 51-68 of 68 discussions (343 posts)
  1. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Imagine yourself  ALONE  with 563 9 year old children and it is your job to make sure that they learn how to get along..

But since God is who he is; multiply that 563 children by 93,243 and tell me how you would handle this situation  while alse encouraging free will. 

I almost got a headache just thinking about it for 27 seconds.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would have begun by building a sound human being with good brain chemistry! lol

Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But if you child proofed the earth; no one would wanta be on it.

No not child proofing the earth, just better brain chemistry, not perfection! smile

Well I guess that I'm not going to get to convince you of how right that I am..tonight, (Just kidding)
                So I might as well go lay down and watch the fights till I start snoring.
                Been a long day and I get to go do it again tomorrow AM.
                Good night.  YAUL

Goodnight Jeremi, rest peacefully. smile

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Hey Jerami and Earnest, let me ask you both a question and let's see how different your answers are going to be.

What is the highest cause you would give up your life for?

Easy. My family. Any of em! smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Would you do it for a complete stranger? smile

No, not knowingly, but I have taken very high risks, like wade in to 4 big blokes!

2. Jerami profile image59

Almost Everyone would give up their life for family      (or Loved ones)
          Most would state that this is the highest cause to do so.
          Some might say "for God," being the highest cause??
          A better question would be; "What is the least cause that you would be willing to give up your life"
          Some days I'd give it up for a peanut butter sandwich to give to a total stranger.

Your question is actually asking; "How valuable is our own life to us?" What will we give it up for? What in life has equal or greater value to us.

Some of us "worship" our life above all else.
          Some of us do not.

3. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

Yes! I am confused!
    In Genesis, this biblical god thing/s said: "Let us create man in our image."
    "They" created Adam.
    Eve was not even thought of then. "They" created Eve as an after thought.
    Now tell me, was Adam created sans a penis?..and all the accoutrements therein?
    Then when Eve was created, did "they" install aftermarket accessories which would enable them, then, to "go forth and multiply?"
    oh, I almost forgot, if they did this, wouldn't the whole action be proof that "They" are not omniscient?
    Anyone?
    ..bless you!  :-)

omniscient? Check out all the repair work modern medical science has gotta do a rebuild on.
      If we were a car it would be a Lada! lol

1. qwark profile image60
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now Earn:
        Be kind and gentle to me!
        I am seeking an honest retort from one who "knows" the bible and what and why "They" did what "They" did.
        This is a very serious question and should be taken thus.
        I am holding my breath, Earn, and praying that one with true "knowledge" of "They," responds.
        This is no joking matter.
        Now, pls, anyone?
        Bless you..:-)

Lada! Lada! Sorry, just had to put out an alert for incoming Ladas. smile

1. qwark profile image60

Earn:
            I don't think you are taking me seriously....:-)
            Isn't there a serious "fundie" in this forum who will try to compose an intellectual response to that which so confuses me about "They?"
            C'mon pull yer knickers down gather up some bravado and impress me with a very knowledgeable response..ok?
            I know ya can do it..:-)
            Bless you. :-)

2. earnestshub profile image80

Qwark, that would be the trinity. Father son and holy ghost talking or just use of the "royal we" perhaps. smile
      Me myself I. smile

1. qwark profile image60

Earn:
        Jeez! No kidding? lol
        I hope yer not taking me seriously on all this biblical inanity!?
        I'm just having fun on a rainy nite and "rAttlin" the cages of moronic fundies who might try to answer me  gap   :-)
        Ok ok ...I'll leave a gap    :-)    hahaha..did that work?
        I gotta stop being so serious!  rontfl....   :-)

The fundies don't actually answer questions, they just quote the "good book", so I figure we can have a bit of fun instead!
          God's creation is a Lada! lol
          Also fundies are devoid of humour, so we will have a very lonely thread! smile

1. qwark profile image60

Earn:
            And amen to that "lada lada."  :-)
            I spent 2 1/2 years "living" in that "wacky" tome!
            I look back at my seminary time now and bless serendipity for my " early release."  lol

3. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A little story before I go into details. When I go to build a house, I must first have a set of blueprints. The blueprints show where everything goes and the measurements of each room. Each part of the building process is aloted a certain amount of time. The foundation must be first then the floor, walls, roof, etc. . .

God created Adam from the dust of the earth. He used His own hands to form man. God spoke which would be Jesus Christ or Yeshua (spelling) for those who are Jewish. God then breathed the breath of life into Adam's nostrils and then he became a living soul. God saw that it was good. Man was created with every part he would need to do what God had planned.

Eve was created later from the rib of Adam. The time had come for her to make an entrance.

So we have God the Father, Jesus or Yeshua the Word of God, and the Holy Ghost or breath of God.

4. Valerie F profile image60
      Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Where did it say that woman was created as an "afterthought"? Nowhere. You're reading something in the Bible that's not there.

5. LeslieAdrienne profile image70
      LeslieAdrienneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

qwark......

Here is your answer....if you notice in that scripture, it says, Let US....make man in OUR image.....the Hebrew  word for US and OUR is elohim, this is a plural word. This scripture is often used to prove the concept of the Trinity.....

As you have said, they (the Trinity) created Adam....Adam means mankind, but...because God said ....."in our image and likeness", we understand that Adam must have also been a pluarlity. Woman was in Adam and the Spirit of God was in Adam.

Before God took Woman out of man, Adam named her "Woman", which means "man with a womb"... the "creation" of Woman was a matter of simply separating her from him....

she was there all of the time, but she was not separate from him...

And,....she wasn't called Eve until after they fell...."Eve" means mother of all living

Hope this helps.....big_smile

4. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

What confuses me is why some people believe it is the ONLY word of God? After all, even a rudimentary understanding of what the bible says describes an infinite God. Why would anyone think that everything he ever did or said would be limited to one book?

5. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

qwark you gotta leave a gap or the smilies don't work. smile

6. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Brothers! We both escaped from the clutches of the not very well! lol

1. qwark profile image60

Earn:
      Here here!  well said!    :-)

I only know a handful of people who have managed it. smile

1. qwark profile image60

EArn;
          It's past history.
          A learning experience.
          Being released from a concentration camp is pure ecstasy!
          I have deeply embedded views about "believers" that will remain with me until I "pass."
          They may approach me. I will accept them warmly but with trepidation. I will let them know, very candidly, that I keep one eye on them. They are not worthy of my trust.
          I hate the idea of self imposed ignorance and they represent that to me. It is evidence of a primitive, unevolved psyche. None are credible. None is an ABSOLUTE!
          Don't get me started...lol
          Freedom, Freedom! Freedom from "absurdity!"
          Nuff said!     :-)

And a truly great freedom to feel!

7. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Hey, it really matters, I spent over 10+ testing doctrines, you know the first three the bible puts forth.

(a) to be selfless in life
    (b) to oppress desires in life
    (c) to believe in a mystical god entity

I put them to work and found that each are unachieveable by human standards. And, the first two are actual "anti-life" mechanisms. These two individual actions will drive one to become selfishly insane. Hence, possibly making the third easily possible since all rationalized thinking and every reasoning skill is completely skewed.

You will run into more obstacles believing in a god, than if there really was one. A believer sets themselves up for failure, yet don't realize their actions are actually against their own existence to begin with.

It's a sad fact to learn through doctrines that there is no god, because as a faithful catholic for which I was raised, I now reject all religions based on the god concept.

Just so you know? lol lol lol

1. profile image0

Obstacles do come to those who believe in Jesus Christ and follow Him. Satan is always attempting to throw believers off-track. Of course if you do not believe, Satan doesn't have to do anything to throw you off-track because you are already off-track.

2. LeslieAdrienne profile image70
      LeslieAdrienneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil,

You have just demonstrated why the world needs a saviour....it is impossible to keep the law of God....no man can because all men were born in sin...only Jesus Christ the righteous was sinless and could pay the price for us.....

Only He can reconnect us to the Father God....after we are connected, we are under God's grace.....and all of the law is summed up in this...that we love the lord our God with all heart, mind, strength and soul, and love thy neighbor as thyself.....

Thanks Cags......

8. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that ticks me off.

1. qwark profile image60

Hokey:
      lololol...that is funny! TY for the laugh!

2. profile image0

What kind of illegal drugs do you take anyway?

It's called having a free spirit. You should try it. smile

1. Hokey profile image61
          Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you brother! I am at your service.

1. qwark profile image60

Hokey:
            Great response.!!!

1. Hokey profile image61

Thank you very much! I like you too.

2. profile image0

What makes you think I don't have a free spirit?

1. Hokey profile image61

A good sermon should be like a woman's skirt: short enough to arouse interest but long enough to cover the essentials.

2. earnestshub profile image80

Sir Dent,
            All your spirit seems to be tied to some super entity that instructs your every move. Not my idea of free. smile

1. profile image0

I could say the same about you. Who is more powerful, God or Satan?

1. Hokey profile image61

Sir? Dent?  Knights Templer?

1. profile image0

Nope. I am a pentecostal Christian. Non denominational.

1. Hokey profile image61

So you believe in the Rapture?

2. Hokey profile image61

Who is more powerful? Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny?

lol lol
                  Is humour a Bhudist thing? lol

1. Hokey profile image61

Buddhism is a be happy thing. Happiness is a personal choice no matter what. So I choose to be happy. No matter what.

2. Valerie F profile image60

Since Santa Claus is actually based on a real historical figure, Santa beats the Easter Bunny.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
                    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Santa beats Jeebus too. wink

3. earnestshub profile image80

Well as you claim that both exist I would leave that assessment up to you.
                I have no satan no sin no god. I live a moral life, love my fellow man and my family, make mistakes do wrong things enjoy my life, you know just like any non believer I guess! smile

1. Hokey profile image61

Well said!

2. profile image0

I live a moral life also, to the best of my ability. I alos love my fellowman and take care of my family. Mistakes are plentiful in my life also. Only difference is that I believe in Jesus.

3. Valerie F profile image60

Earnest, are you perfect? Have you always lived a perfectly moral life? And what gives you, an equal to everyone else, the right to decide what moral is?

No one is making any claim to perfection, sin may be your concept of morality it is not mine. Sin is a religious concept.
                    I do not believe in your god, that does not handicap me in any way whatsoever, or make me "only believe in myself". smile
                    I do not answer to your god or any of the others. smile

3. Pandoras Box profile image60
            Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you gave it to a god.

2. Hokey profile image61

Don't do them but thank you for the offer. High on life!

3. Pandoras Box profile image60
      Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hah!

9. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

When I am gone, I hope it may be said: 'His sins were scarlet but his books were read. Namaste

10. mintinfo profile image63
    mintinfoposted 14 years ago

It reveals the gullibility of the human psyche. I found it to be a violent patch-work History book more than anything else. Keep in mind that it was put together thousands of years after many of the alleged events occurred by people who wanted to galvanize their fragmented and downtrodden race. The Old Testament that is.

The new Testament was added by outsiders who admired the original works and attempted to add to the legacy.

Aside from Proverbs and some others scriptures with morally underlying themes I found it hardly useful. But then again no one really knows why we are here so it is useful to bring structure and meaning to peoples lives. Until we find something better I support it for that reason.

11. profile image0
    hamstersmessiahposted 14 years ago

What confuses me about the bible is not the text itself but people's total ignorance in how the document was constructed in the first place.  There is an excellent video on how the New Testament was constructed from texts dating back to about 300 AD, most of which are fragmentary and would probably make people rethink their view of the entire Canonical nature of the document.  You can view this video on Google at the following link and it's presented by a prominent biblical scholar who may actually know something about the bible and make you think outside your pulpit!  Here is the link:

[url=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=397006836098752165&q=Misquoting+Jesus&total=107&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0#]

1. profile image0
      hamstersmessiahposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ok so i can't make a link work!

url=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=397006836098752165&q=Misquoting+Jesus&total=107&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0#

12. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Obviously you angered the GOD yikes

Here is your link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 6098752165

1. profile image0

thank you!  i'm still learning how to do this embedding links stuff...  the video however is well worth the hour plus to watch if you have the time.

13. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Nah, I don't watch videos longer than a few minutes. And you are welcome smile

14. waynet profile image67
    waynetposted 14 years ago

The fact that each chapter doesn't relate to each other like traditional stories, I mean Jesus Christ!! a beginning, a middle and an end is what should be done in a novel!!!!!

1. Valerie F profile image60

The whole book is an anthology, a compilation of a variety of stories of different literary genres. If you try to read the Bible like it's only one story, of course you're going to be confused.

15. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

I intend to live forever, or die trying.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

16. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

NOBLE EIGHTFOLD PATH

1. Right View/Understanding
        (Understanding the Four Noble Truths) - See things as they truly are without delusions or distortions for all things change. Develop wisdom by knowing how things work, knowing oneself and others.

2. Right Thinking
        Decide to set a life on the correct path. Wholehearted resolution and dedication to overcoming the dislocation of self-centered craving through the development of loving kindness, empathy and compassion.

3. Right Speech
        Abstinence from lies and deceptions, backbiting, idle babble and abusive speech.     ivate honesty and truthfulness; practice speech that is kind and benevolent. Let your words reflect your desire to help, not harm others.

4.Right Conduct
        (Following the Five Precepts) - Practice self-less conduct that reflects the highest statement of the life you want to live. Express conduct that is peaceful, honest and pure showing compassion for all beings.

5. Right Livelihood
        Earn a living that does not harm living things. Avoidance of work that causes suffering to others or that makes a decent, virtuous life impossible. Do not engage in any occupation that opposes or distracts one from the path. Love and serve our world through your work.

6. Right Effort
        Seek to make the balance between the exertion of following the spiritual path and a moderate life that is not over-zealous. Work to develop more wholesome mind states, while gently striving to go deeper and live more fully.

7. Right Mindfulness
        Become intensely aware of all the states in body, feeling, and mind. Through constant vigilance in thought, speech and action seek to rid the mind of self-centered thoughts that separate and replace them with those that bind all beings together. Be aware of your thoughts, emotions, body and world as they exist in the present moment. Your thoughts create your reality.

8. Right Concentration
        Deep meditation to lead to a higher state of consciousness (enlightenment). Through the application of meditation and mental discipline seek to extinguish the last flame of grasping consciousness and develop an emptiness that has room to embrace and love all things.

1. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is this the 'way' according to Hokey or are you combining stuff from the 8 'levels' in Buddhism, various Indian sources and a couple of other places ?

While I can agree most of this is all useful I would like to know where it comes from smile

17. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Theravada

1. profile image0

the larger vessel?

1. Hokey profile image61

Way of the elders

1. profile image0
          china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Interesting stuff - it has some similarities with the Chinese Tao (philosophy not religion). And the Tao has some similarities with today's Critical Theory. Not that they are the same but the same ideas put in a different way, all of them a 'way' to live rather than a rigid code of morals that can be mis-translated or misrepresented however you choose.
          Keep up the good work Hokey smile

1. Hokey profile image61

Thank you. Theravada is the closest to the original teachings of the historical Buddha.

18. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

Leslie, thank you. FINALLY! someone said it: Grace!

Grace through faith is salvation.
    Grace is the anointing and baptism of spirit.
    Grace is beyond the consciousness of sin/logic/reason.

Grace is great!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)