What Confuses You About the Bible?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 68 discussions (343 posts)
  1. LeslieAdrienne profile image71
    LeslieAdrienneposted 14 years ago

Greetings, I am taking a survey and want to know what confuses people about the Bible....care to answer?

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Having read it cover to cover twice and studied it in 3 languages nothing confuses me about the bible.
      It is a hateful tome filled with childish and even psychotic threats from a god who is a compilation of the many gods that went before it. smile Dangerous to small minds, creates war and hate of minorities like homosexuals and the hate of women.

1. profile image0
        poetlorraineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i feel so sorry for you ....... you are really sad

Those of us who are happy usually recognise the fear behind religious thought, and feel that you are a bit sad. smile

1. LIVINGGOD profile image58
            LIVINGGODposted 14 years agoin reply to this

religion on latin relegare that shows a clearer reason of this as binding, the word has been changed to hide the real meaning tie encarcerate hold down submition

the  lord doesnt bind or clenches down any human into a blind faith

2. LeslieAdrienne profile image71
          LeslieAdrienneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Poetlorraine
          Thank you for your comment.

Earnest

3. LIVINGGOD profile image58

actually the ```strength of the law´´was showmn on the old testament to prove that the law doesnt give a chance to 120%of the humanity but this complitely changes with the ``son of man´´ christ who changes the law to a powerfull grace giving an open door to most of the gentiles and jews

2. agvulpes profile image86
      agvulpesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Taking it as a work of fiction I found it very boring so I stopped reading after page 2, I think it was !
      I prefer to make my own judgments on whether something is good or bad, for the very reason that what is right today was wrong one hundred years ago, and visa-versa. cool

agvulpes, your up late! smile

1. agvulpes profile image86

I felt like seeing the "late night comedy show" but I'm fearing it is ground hog day and its just a repeat. cool

Good luck with that mate! I could not bare to see that again either! lol

agvulpes,

3. LIVINGGOD profile image58

the bible only show christ as the bearer of all that gods wants us too see and some prophecies to the world and to the jews

3. double_frick profile image60
      double_frickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

how it is considered a historical document and not myths and stories similar to like, the epic of gilgamesh. smile

The events are historically proven....I know a lot of people will disagree, but it is so.....Jewish History will attest to the events in the Old Testament
        And Roman and Greek historians attest to the events in the New Testament.

Most of the supernatural signs that occurred left an indication of some kind.

Thanks for your comment...

Was "kink" a freudian slip? The sub-conscious that gave you religion does know it is a crutch you know! smile

Thanks for pointing out my typo....big_smile

2. Valerie F profile image60
            Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Religion may be a crutch, but an honest and modest person is not afraid to admit to needing one. And it's a far better crutch than anything else I've come across that people use.

As for what confuses me about the Bible- nothing much really. I read it as an anthology of multiple literary genres. In interpreting it as such and taking into account historic contexts, I feel I'm getting something close to the correct interpretation. If you take it all as a historic record, you're not going to get it right, and you may completely miss the point. If you take it all as mythology and assume erroneously and arrogantly that there is no truth in mythology, you'll get it wrong, too. If you assume it's all fables and morality tales, you'll only be partially correct. If you assume it's all metaphorical, you won't get it all right.

The truth is the Bible has all of the aforementioned.

4. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nothing confusing about it whatsoever. Spent years at church school studying the bible in it's various forms (and there are many, many forms). Knowing the myths it was based on and having spent some considerable time delving into the so-called "history," of Jesus, I understand the bible very well.

It is written by man, there is no god, and if I could encapsulate the bible in two words it would be, "tribal thinking."

People who mistakenly think there is a god with a set of instructions are either acting in their own interests or sheeple, scared of living.

There are a lot of sheeple.

Baaaaah! lol

Hi Mark.....

Thanks for your comment.....big_smile

2. LIVINGGOD profile image58

living is only one thing but what about living with a power beyond human understanding???????

5. ASHWINSPGA profile image57
      ASHWINSPGAposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Once Adam and Eve were banished
      (quote)
      And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.
      And she again bare his brother Abel.

Then jump a few paragraphs Cain suddenly has a wife. Where did she come from?

According to the bible Jesus Christ knew why he was on Earth for. When then on the cross did he shouted 'GOD GOD why have you forsaken me?

Would really appreciate it if you could enlighten me thanks smile

I have speculated on the Cain's wife issue, but I blindly believe that...Listen, Jesus came to pay the price for sin...but first hehad to become "sin". On the cross, He took every kind of sin that there was, and the ultimate sin is separation from God.

(That is why people go to Hell,they are separated from God-that is what happened to Adam in the garden. He got separated from God.)

Jesus couldn't have paid the full price for Adam's sin without experiencing spiritual separation from God. Are you following me so far?.....Good, let's keep on going....

At the time that Jesus cried, My God, My God, why has thou forsaken me?" He [Jesus] was  experiencing that separation.

Well, separation from God is equal to death because God is life. That is why we must be born again, so we can reconnect to God.

Does this help any? big_smile big_smile

1. ASHWINSPGA profile image57

Thanks for that. and yes it seems logical and makes sense. thank you LeslieAdrienne

You said  "i have speculated on the Cain's wife issue, but I blindly believe that...

Believe what?

ashwinspga

what the Bible says about Cain finding a wife....God can do anything...I don't know where Cain's wife came from.....but, I also don't think that it is a point of great importance either.......

1. ASHWINSPGA profile image57

It is LeslieAdrienne. It is important. For a book as important as a bible there should not be any gaps. If the book writes about how God created the world then the creation of Cain's wife should be in there too. Im surprised with your dismissive answer. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions

1. profile image0
                Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because Adam and Eve stands for the first people male and female not two people period! Many people came into being.
                The gap is mistransliteration and translation.

Oh no, I apologize... sometimes after posting to my cynical friends, my attitude has to readjust to talk to people who really want find the truth....Please forgive my quick retort

My answer to you about Cain just means that I have not found a definitive answer to that question. The point of my stating that it in not a point of great importance is that there is a lot of information and human history in the Word of God....often, we get "stuck" or interested in one issue or another and it becomes a project to search out for our satisfaction. New believers or people who are considering becoming Christians tend to neglect the weightier matters of the scripture and concentrate on those things that don't impact their souls....

When I got born-again, I was very religious and determine that I was going to keep all of the Old Testament instructions.....well, I didn't know that Jesus had fulfilled all of the Old Testament requirements and what I needed to do was concentrate on Jesus and what He was saying...

Cain was a demonstration of excessive pride, disobedience, jealousy and hatred.....He was a one time example of that particular type.....The probability in my thinking is that Adam and Eve had many, many children. The reason Cain and Able were mentioned is because there deeds were extraordinary.....Abel was complete obedience, Cain was not....Able gave God his best, Cain did not....

Cain could have gotten out of it if he had told the truth....God would have had him make a sacrifice and forgiven him.
                Cain chose to be lie and add onto his troubles.

Of the many children that Adam and  Eve had, I believe was Cain's wife. I rationalize within the parameters of my understanding.....during that time the mandate or command against brothers and sisters marrying had not been given.

I speculate that disease was not what it is now, and that God had a hand in keeping those marriages until such time as there were enough people on the earth to declare inner-marriage an abomination.

That is what I believe, but it is mainly speculation.

The most important thing is to come to Jesus just as we are....to understand that when Adam sinned, all mankind that would ever be born into the earth also sinned.....Adam's sin is the root sin or the original sin.....Jesus Christ is the only one whe can deliver us from the sinful nature.....

Jesus came to earth through a virgin. He lived on earth as 100% man and 100% God....He was without sin. He preached and did might works and led people to His Father.....Jesus died taking away the power of that original sin and He rose from the dead setting all men free....that is, if you believe that He did it for you, and, if you receive Him as your personal Lord and Savior. 

Salvation is free!!!! If you don't have it and you want it just pray this prayer outloud.....

Dear God,
                I come to you recognizing that I am a sinner in need of salvation. I beleive that Jesus is the son of God, that He died for me and that He rose from the dead. Jesus, come into my heart, be my Lord and Savior. I receive you now and am now saved. Thank you Father, in Jesus' Name, Amen.

It really is that easy.....Read the Bible daily. If you can't understand the King James, get another version and start reading in John, spend more time in the New Testament then go to the Old Testament....

If you need more help, send me an email

Be blessed.......smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

Dear me. And you think you have an answer?

Come on Mark....I admit I'm not certain about Cain, but I am about Jesus....

Did you study the Word on your own, in school or at church?

2. ASHWINSPGA profile image57

Thank you For replying back LeslieAdrienne. After reading i guess it all comes down to "assumings" to fill in the gaps. All this happened a long time ago and there bound to be some gaps here and there.Thats where i think the strength in your faith comes in and I do indeed admire your faith believe and love you have for your religion smile
                  signing out from here. thanks once again

3. Jerami profile image58
                  Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this
      2. LIVINGGOD profile image58

this was done by the master to take away what should happen to us ,actually some people take again that burden and try to hold it for themselves but jesuschrist momentaniously got separated by the power of sin from god HIS FATHER

6. Dale Nelson profile image39
      Dale Nelsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not a bad question for a survey.
      Assuming that it is a book transcribed and translated so many times before the current versions were accepted into society, where did Jesus spend the first 37 years of his life before his life begins to be chronicled. Sure he was born in a manger. Then what. Then reappearing with the apostles. Long time for no one to have written anything about his travels.

Hi Dale...

He spent His first 30 like all other children of His day...growing and studying, learning and working in his earthly fathers' trade

We read about His birth, when He was 12 and then about His ministry years from age 30-33.    smile

7. de'Arab profile image53
      de'Arabposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The basics are confusing to me; why did God give his only begotten son to die for humanity's sins? Why does God even have a son in the first place? How could anyone bear the burden of another?
      I don't think that it is that my mind is to small to understand the book,  I think that my mind is too large to understand  the book . It just does not make sense.

1. Valerie F profile image60

Bearing the burden for another is as simple as bailing someone out of jail, vouching for them before judge and jury, and paying their fines for them.

8. vox vocis profile image82
      vox vocisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Abraham and Sara were half-brother and half-sister...poor slave who had to give birth of a child for her ''mistress'' ???...because God wanted it so???? Daughters who slept with their father to continue the family line...do I need to continue? Hmmm

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whats your point?

1. vox vocis profile image82

My point, if it's me who you're asking, is that the Bible is full of confusing stories and thoughts, yet, I'm aware who wrote it and I simply try to get the best out of it. In the end, I read the Bible gladly...many times I'm shocked and many times I'm appeased by it.
          Too complicated to get any deeper into discussion on a forum like this;
          it is as it is,
          once we die,
          we'll know everything,
          and life is short,
          so no big fuss about it...

2. profile image0

Hey http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/einstein3.gif this isn't true. When Abraham and Sarah arrived in Egypt  Abraham was afraid that if he told  Pharaoh and the princes that Sarah was his wife, because she was so beautiful,  they would kill him and take her. So Abraham asked Sarah to SAY she was his sister so he could live.Genesis 12:13.  But the first time Sarah was introduced in Scripture it was in Genesis 11:31 and it clearly states that Sarah was the wife of Abraham and the daughter-in-law of Abraham's father Terah. Sarah was not a slave either.  All relatives lived in a tribe and everyone called the women sisters and the head of the tribe father.

Did you actually research this or just take someone's misinformation and state it as truth?

Genesis 11:13 "And Terah took Abram his son, and Lot the son of Haran his son's son, and Sarai his daughter in law, his son Abram's wife; and they went forth with them from Ur of the Chaldees, to go into the land of Canaan; and they came unto Haran, and dwelt there."

Genesis 12:12-13
        12: "Therefore it shall come to pass, when the Egyptians shall see thee, that they shall say, This is his wife: and they will kill me, but they will save thee alive.
        13: "Say, I pray thee, thou art my sister: that it may be well with me for thy sake; and my soul shall live because of thee."

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
          Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thou shalt not lie (unless a god tells you to). Ever heard of Hagar?

2. vox vocis profile image82

Well, dear DEBORAH SEXTON,
          before mocking someone YOU NEED TO KNOW what you're saying. If you read the Catholic Bible check out Genesis, chapter 20, especially lines 11 and 12 where it says, I quote:

{20:11} Abraham responded: ''I thought to myself, saying: Perhaps there is no fear of God in this place. And they will put me to death because of my wife.
          {20:12} Yet, in another way, she is also truly my sister, the daughter of my father, and not the daughter of my mother, and I took her as a wife.

Then, Hagara (Agar) was Sarah's slave who gave birth of Abraham's first child, I qoute:

GEN 16:1 Now Sarai the wife of Abram, had brought forth no children; having a handmaid, an Egyptian, named Agar,

GEN 16:2 She said to her husband: Behold, the Lord hath restrained me from bearing: go in unto my handmaid, it may be I may have children of her at least. And when he agreed to her request,

GEN 16:3 She took Agar the Egyptian her handmaid, ten years after they first dwelt in the land of Chanaan, and gave her to her husband to wife.

GEN 16:4 And he went in to her. But she, perceiving that she was with child, despised her mistress.

And more...Genesis, chapter 19, I qoute:

33 That night they made their father drunk, and the elder slept with her father though he was unaware of her coming to bed or of her leaving.
          34 The next day the elder said to the younger, 'Last night, I was the one who slept with our father. Let us make him drunk again tonight, and you go and sleep with him. In this way we can preserve the race by our father.'
          35 They made their father drunk that night too, and the younger went and slept with him, though he was unaware of her coming to bed or of her leaving.
          36 Both Lot's daughters thus became pregnant by their father.

Another thing - Genesis chapter 11, I quote:

27 These are Terah's descendants: Terah fathered Abram, Nahor and Haran. Haran fathered Lot.
          28 Haran died in the presence of his father Terah in his native land, Ur of the Chaldaeans.
          29 Abram and Nahor both married: Abram's wife was called Sarai, Nahor's wife was called Milcah daughter of Haran, father of Milcah and Iscah.

Do your calculation and calculation itself means something confusing in the Bible.

I've read the Bible hundreds of times (in different languages too) and have no misinformation, YOU DO!!! Or, maybe you're not Catholic so we aren't reading the same Bible!

3. vox vocis profile image82

To DEBORAH SEXTON:
          Read about Sara in wikipedia:

Sarah or Sara (which is a Hebrew name) was the wife of Abraham and the mother of Isaac as described in the Hebrew Bible and the Quran. Her name was originally Sarai.

Sarah was the half-sister of Abraham, being the daughter of his father Terah (Genesis 20:12). The Talmud identifies Sarai with Iscah, daughter of Abraham's deceased brother Haran (Genesis 11:29), so that Sarah turns to be the niece of Abraham and the sister of Lot and Milka. (according to rabbinic literature).

Do you even know who wrote the Bible? Hebrew means anything to you? I have nothing against Hebrews, Jesus was one and he loved them, so I guess I do too, although they don't like Him much...

I really don't like when someone is mocking me and accusing me of things he or she is to blame for! So many studies on this specific question and the comment you gave is simply...well, don't know what to say anymore! I think I made myself clear.

1. Hokey profile image60
            Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this
          2. Pandoras Box profile image60

You, Wikipedia and the Bible must all be wrong. Deborah has attained a level of mystic knowledge such as our small minds can never comprehend.

1. vox vocis profile image82

Yeah...no doubt!

9. goldenpath profile image68
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not really confusing but I see a great danger in what's being done to the Bible today.  The inspired words are specifically written often under direction from the spirit.  Taking the Bible and rewording it to fit the "modern" language is dangerous and misconstrues the original messages contained.

10. Rayalternately profile image60
      Rayalternatelyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

why it's so popular

11. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nothing confused me about the Bible until I heard people making it complicated when in actuality it's simple.

12. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I must say that nothing in the Bible confuses me. If I am confused it is because of my own mind.

13. kitoomal profile image60
      kitoomalposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi LeslieAdrienne,

I do not find any contradiction in the Bible. If you feel there's something contradictory, it can be described like this:

If you say the sky is dark and I say it's bright, it's not a contradiction. The sky is the same - just that you are in another time zone, 12 hours away!

Therefore, I'm not confused. In fact, statistical models show that the likelihood of some 15 of the 332 prophecies about Jesus in the Bible being false, is only 1 chance in 480 billion x 1 trillion! The Bible is definitely the authoritative Word of God.

14. G Miah profile image78
      G Miahposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who is God? God himself or Jesus? Why did God (Jesus) fear death?

Why was the last part (the part where originally had a bit about Jesus saying there will be the last prophet after him called 'Muhammad') wiped away?

Why is there so many different versions of the Bible? New testaments are written by whom?

Very very confusing!

15. defenestratethis profile image60
      defenestratethisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, for one thing, when Cain was banished to another land and then later took a wife and had some kids...just who was that woman he married and where did she come from? Seeing as how it was Adam, Eve, Abel and Cain to first grace the earth...was it his sister?

16. Hokey profile image60

um.... the bible   big_smile

2. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

why does everyone have one, why is there one in every hotel room, why has it lasted so long?

Not every one has one. A free bible in every hotel room is called "advertising," and it has lasted so long because of all the wars with people who did not believe. If you kill them all and force the survivors to bow down to your god.....

The Australians used to take aboriginal children away from their parents and bring them up in "christian" family homes instead. As did families in the US with native Americans.

Keeping yourself ignorant of these things will not make baby jesus real. wink

I pity you. You could - if you wished - educate yourself. Instead you prefer to pretend baby jesus will let you into heaven.

Christianity is the most selfish religion that has ever existed. It is disgusting and the people who follow it should be ashamed of themselves for perpetuating this way of behaving.

Mark , pity is such a strange emotion in this instance ?
        If she is wrong and you are right, in the long run nothing will happen to anyone right , so pity is hardly required ?

Just reflecting. And yes - I do pity people who have been persuaded not to think. As a species - I think it holds us back from our potential.

Your are probably correct ! but to me pity is such a waste of energy . I prefer to expend my energy on matters that I have a least some control over. Not trying to un-train people that have been brain-washed from birth. smile

I am not really speaking to them. This is an open forum and a lot of non members stop buy and take a look. I am speaking to them I guess. I know there is no way in hell of convincing some of these guys - but the young ones starting to question? Possibly.

I guess I feel it is worth some of my energy and I do not lie awake at night fretting over the older ones who KNOW. lol

Gotta love you Mark....you can't get the young ones either....not as long as we old ones are watching.....lol lol

Sorry -  you are wrong again. I have many who have written to me thanking me for helping them get over your religion. Child abusers forcing children to believe this garbage? Should be locked up.

People are moving away from your hate mongering religion in droves. Hence the desperation I see from people like you.

Mark,

You know you sound like the DVD's on the Tibulation and Revelations..."Lock up the Haters - Off with their Heads!" Are you sure you aren't operating in prophecy.....

Oh, I hate to tell you this, those droves left on bicycles but they are coming back by the chevy load big_smile  [now you know that's funny, right?] big_smile

2. earnestshub profile image80

Leslie, I have 6 beautiful grandchildren, not one indoctrinated into religion, and people like you my family and I keep away from! smile

Congratulations!  Earnest  yikes   What a blessing to have so many loving grands.......nothing like family. big_smile

You can't keep them from hearing the Word from somebody at sometime in their life. Then they can make their own decisions.....

3. defenestratethis profile image60

And another thing...why do they villainize Judas sooooooo much? After all, he was only doing his part to aid Christ in his sacrifice. A sacrifice that would save the world from sin. Isnt Judas really sort of a hero in that respect?

1. defenestratethis profile image60

Also...if homosexuality is such a terrible sin, how come theres nothing about it in the 10 commandments?

2. earnestshub profile image80

That is the truth plain and simple. You would think any sane person would recognise these facts. smile Isolationist, bigoted and hate filled it continues to persecute minorities and anyone who can be bullied.

Earnest,

Enlighten me, why am I full of hate? I might be full of a bunch of other stuff, but hate.....hmmmm.  I hate mayonnaise and tuna....is that what you mean?

Oh and,I am a triple minority.....I don't remember the last time I persecuted myself .....

Oh, yes I do....It was the time I neglected to finish an online class....I had to retake it and pay for it out of my own pocket....

I persecuted myself the entire time I was taking that class....$800...that's a lot of money for a 4 week class.....big_smile

Refresh my memory... how far back in the thread did you go? lol

3. LeslieAdrienne profile image71

Mark my scholar.....

You know yourself that there is not one religion that has not committed atroscities in the name of God.....people did it, not God......

Maybe that is why you don't believe.........

How's your family?

No. I don't believe because it is a lie. And you making excuses is not helping. The fact that you are prepared to ignore it just means you are scared. You are not going to live forever. Sorry. I wonder if you have even read your bible? Mine tells me quite clearly what to do with unbelievers and homosexuals. Doesn't yours? What are you reading? Some watered down KJ that was mis-translated yesterday?

My family is fine, thanks for asking.

Glad they're fine....

Actually, I have some stellar bibles and study materials, but you already know that I spend a lot of time in prayer looking for the Holy Spirit to help me.....

Although the Word says what to do to unbelievers, and homosexuals, it doesn't tell me to carry out any judgments.....and, please don't quote me the Old Testament mandates.....Jesus gave me a new covenant with better promises...

Also, if Jesus refuted what the law (O.T.)  said about marriage, and loving your neighbor, why wouldn't I conclude that other OT scriptures are also out ranked and now governed by the law of love?

The O.T. is valuable and profitable for instruction, but, I am not going to sacrifice a bull, a sheep or a dove....I don't have the room and I am cutting back on red meat smile

1. profile image0

Really? Christ said he did not come to do away with the law (word of God). He just made it clearer. Where do you get the OT is out of date?

Deborah...

Don't misunderstand....perhaps I wasn't clear....the OT stands as the shadow, the forerunner of the NT. It contains the mind of  God for His people which cannot be erased....What I mean is that Jesus is the fullfillment of the OT requirements toward the Father....and, that we are to follow the law of love as outlined in the NT....

Also, we are not making animal sacrifices or giving blood offerings or following the rituals of the OT anymore because Jesus is the sacrificial lamb and His blood has sealed the covenant....

I don't want anyone to think that the OT is to be ignored....my point to Mark and to ASHWINSPGA is don't be bound by the old when salvation is in the new....If you are born again. You are not under the curses of the law...... smile

Was that explained better.....?

1. Precious Pearl profile image75
                  Precious Pearlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LeslieAdrienne ... you are one of the most well spoken women of God on hubpages.  I love the way you gently but firmly express your faith. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.  I just became a fan. smile

4. NewYorker profile image59
        NewYorkerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mark, I wanna ask you to watch what you say there a little bit about Christianity. Alot of people might take this as an insult

Nah! lol

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

Really? LOL

Guess what........... lol

3. LeslieAdrienne profile image71

Newyorker

Mark likes to insult Christianity and Christians, that is what he does....don't let him ruffle you feathers......big_smile

I think I know how Mark feels about the beliefs of religions, he knows quite a lot about it, and science as well. One of our smartest hubbers I would say. smile Yes Mark does speak quite directly about what he believes. I like that. smile

2. profile image0

Not everyone who believes in God and Christ is a part of Christianity..I don't interpret scripture the same as the Christian religion does.

5. profile image0

GOD aside..I pity you because you are a sour person who appears to hate anyone who doesn't agree with you. Religion or not.
        You look for a fight in everything because life is boring for you. Without hate and conflict do you have any sensation?

This is YOUR wish to form a following of you..a cult so to speak.

6. Valerie F profile image60

No, Mark, the worship of self is the most selfish religion there is.

No sweetie. I do not worship myself as you are suggesting I do. This is called "lying."

I know your religion favors lying as a tool to disseminate hatred against other groups - in this case atheists, but still...... sad

7. LIVINGGOD profile image58

CHRISTIANITY IS SUFFERING TO BRING THE SAME PROOF OF THE POWER OF GOD TO MOST PEOPLE AND LENGUAGES WHY IS THAT SELFISH??

1. NewYorker profile image59

Did you really have to write that with Caps Lock?

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

8. Valerie F profile image60

Yes, and it's a horrific shame that Christians have done that to indigenous families. What's even worse, Mark, is that you don't understand you advocate using the same cultural genocide tactic against Christian families.

So it's cultural genocide if one group does it, but it's fine and dandy if you happen to not like the group you want wiped out?

I did not suggest taking children away from their families and forcing them to adhere to the invisible super being theory.

I know that lying is part of your "culture," but please.....

Well, I don't think he meant it literally. I believe his point was merely that indoctrinating children with scary stories of a vengeful sky-monster is a form of mental abuse

Cultures evolve. Old beliefs and superstitions are let go of once the nature of their invalidity is understood. Holding on to old beliefs that have become more deleterious than beneficial for society weakens the society, at best.

But you're right, of course, the evolving has to be done willingly.

1. profile image0

You do realize people came to America to escape religious persicution. Not to mention that every document penned by our forefathers clearly states our faith in God. Maybe if you can't get past your pride to believe this isn't the right country for you.smile

BELEEB IN JEEBUS an u b sabed. ! lol

Sorry - No more killing in the name of jeebus. sad

Must get u huh? Be the rong cuntry fer u? YUeah I beleeb .

1. profile image0

Oh I see one of the atheists heavy hitters is promoting tolerance again, thank you for sharing! Now take your seat.

Oh Sorry - I will try and hate gays and anythinh wot god hates.

Fat is OK tho? Right?

Just chekin. Overweight is OK with jeebus. Like wot He sed.

1. profile image0

No one hates gays we hate their sin. If you're refering to me, thank you, thats the nicest thing you've ever said to me.

You do realize that I'm not that gullible. We can have that debate if you like.

1. profile image0

Religion or your gullibility?

Christian nation bullcrap. Bring it on. This was the first issue that gave me my clue that christians were basically fabricators, revisionists, and outright liars. Of course, maybe you're just among the religiously gullible. Christians seldom stop to check the drivel that's spoonfed to them.

Generally speaking, I strive to be more patient with christians and their misguided misconceptions, but when you've just suggested that nonbelievers don't belong in America, you've pretty much pissed me off. smile

1. profile image0

Your point of view is very common, so lets get started what have we fabricated, revised or lied about?(name couple of things but don't stress if it's necessary I'll take your word for it) Actually we study what we believe and for your information our church has no paid clergy so it's a group effort not a bunch of sheep listening to someone tell us what to believe. It's ok if you want to believe what you want you and everyone else was given free agency. Just one more point to clarify, I said it may not be the right country for you based on your intolerance.smile

Poetlorraine;

You can't get rid of something that is more powerful than you are....Truth trodden to the earth will rise again..... big_smile big_smile

3. profile image53
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

One word: Indoctrination.

3. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

advertising...... are you mad, they are free.  Hello Mark don't upset me i am not well ha ha ha ha

LOL

The first month's supply of heroin is usually free as well... wink

1. defenestratethis profile image60

Did someone say Heroin?

2. agvulpes profile image86

poetlorraine , sorry to hear you are not well, doesn't matter if they are free or not it still boils down to 'advertising' or worse a subtle form of 'brain washing'

4. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Truth will rise again and religion will be found in the myths and legends section. smile

That's kind of funny....

5. earnestshub profile image80

Found it! I did not mention you at all! lol lol lol
    OF course that isn't lying, that would be "unchristian!

6. caravalhophoto profile image61
    caravalhophotoposted 14 years ago

No confusion of the Bible...I was raised in the Church and am very proud of who I am, how I raised my children and how my Grandchildren are being raised, in the Church and with Gods word.  No brainwashing, my own interpetations and no false Gods.

1. AnythingArtzy profile image67
      AnythingArtzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

AMEN! you only have to look around to see there is more at work that a puddle of sludge. The Bible doesn't tell us everything . our minds couldn't possibly grasp it all. obviously from most of the posts I read in this forum that is quite true.

It is historicly correct. proven over and over. Nobody as yet has been able to disprove the bible it's just a simple matter of them refusing to believe.

7. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

When Jesus said Lord Why has thy forsaken me, I think that this might have been translated from something like; Lord, I have done all that you have ask me to, What is taking so long for you to get me outa here, Don't leave me here.
       I think that he was thinking something like that.

As far as Canes wife goes; Cain was given "The Mark of Cain  for protection from some other group of people. Maybe a diffrent species of humanoid???  He either took a wife of these "People" or took a sister as a wife. There is no mentioned of the "generations of Cain" so I would think that he took a wife from this other species of man.
        YES; that would mean that evolution AND creation of "MAN" could be true.

8. earnestshub profile image80

Any god is a false god, since the beginning of the many hundreds of gods, all the same. They make threats! smile

Do they ???  So do atheists.....Mark wants us put in jail, you want us put in the insane asylum...I am sure that there are others who want us to just "go away"...if you catch my drift.....

So, if gods make threats and atheists make threats then are atheists gods? And if atheists are gods, can I have a pony?

big_smile

Sweetie pie, teaching children that there is an invisible sky fairy who will burn them for eternity if they do not believe is child abuse.

Child abusers should be locked up.

and also why my family do not allow religious people to indoctrinate our children.

Not sure why I am "making threats" either. I genuinely feel that teaching this crap to children and forcing them to kneel and pray to jesus for salvation is child abuse.

Child abusers should be locked up. And Apparently - any one who argues against this is full of hate? lol

And I genuinely feel that teaching hatred on any basis and smearing whole groups of people on the basis of, among other things, their creed, is also what you'd call child abuse.

No you don't. You are just defending your religion. "It is OK to abuse children for God because someone else does X."

Sorry sweetie pie - your religion causes nothing but hatred and conflict. See any history book.

Don't call me "sweetie pie" if you don't mean it.

LOL

I mean it. wink

2. caravalhophoto profile image61
      caravalhophotoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand when you say God makes threats...everything you have learned your whole life, even as a child has consequences...whether those end up being good or bad.  When I was a kid, I messed up I was grounded...a threat or consequence to an action.
      If you murder, steal, commit adultry, etc...there is a consequence to that action with God, yes...but it stems further than that...you will hopefully be punished under  the law...or  a disease for extramarital affairs.
      Your arguments make no sense.  My children and grandchildren are brought up with values and morals...right from wrong, I also believe in St.Nick...yes some called him Santa...but the message is still the same from the same Saint...my family know the story and yes we believe.  Children don't know hatred...they are taught hatred...it usually starts in the home...so if we can teach our children good...life would be alot easier for everyone all the way around.
      Final word: stating that religion causes war is like saying...guns kill people...People's misinterpretation of the Bible/Curan/Book of David...cause wars, just as people pulling the trigger kill people.

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, so you have grandkids, and still believe in Santa? Umm well, that explains a lot about your other posts, thank you smile

1. caravalhophoto profile image61
          caravalhophotoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The true story of Santa Claus begins with Nicholas, who was born during the third century in the village of Patara. At the time the area was Greek and is now on the southern coast of Turkey. His wealthy parents, who raised him to be a devout Christian, died in an epidemic while Nicholas was still young. Obeying Jesus' words to "sell what you own and give the money to the poor," Nicholas used his whole inheritance to assist the needy, the sick, and the suffering. He dedicated his life to serving God and was made Bishop of Myra while still a young man. Bishop Nicholas became known throughout the land for his generosity to the those in need, his love for children, and his concern for sailors and ships.

Under the Roman Emperor Diocletian, who ruthlessly persecuted Christians, Bishop Nicholas suffered for his faith, was exiled and imprisoned. The prisons were so full of bishops, priests, and deacons, there was no room for the real criminals—murderers, thieves and robbers. After his release, Nicholas attended the Council of Nicaea in AD 325. He died December 6, AD 343 in Myra and was buried in his cathedral church, where a unique relic, called manna, formed in his grave. This liquid substance, said to have healing powers, fostered the growth of devotion to Nicholas.

Kind of like a early day Mother Teresa...oh did she never exist either???

2. profile image0

Hear!Hear!smile

3. cheaptrick profile image74
        cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Guns don't Kill people,
        Husbands who come home Early Kill people"
        So much for"Love your neighbor....

1. Hokey profile image60

If a person dies and then springs back to life, do they get their money back for the coffin?

9. h.a.borcich profile image61
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

smile To Artsy

10. earnestshub profile image80

Goodnight all. smile

11. Jerami profile image58

I agree that where Cain's wife came from is of little importance.
      But we need to connect all of the dots so-to-speak; with the important issues, it then doesn't hurt to answer all of the little questions also.

When we leave too many gaps in the story ... it is like leaving the window open and critters come in and tear up the house.

Jerami

I do apologize for making light of the matter...I really try and be more cognizant of what I write and theimpact that it may have....

forgive me......

1. Jerami profile image58

No apologies accepted "cause" you didn't do "nuttin"
           I was intending to be adding to what you said; not disagreeing.

12. earnestshub profile image80

Hi Jeremi, you sure have a few critters at the moment! smile

Mornin Earnist..
      Critters ?  Yea I know; I need help.

Well good morning to you! I hope your day is wonderful, mine is ended now, I have stayed up late to catch up. smile

2. Jerami profile image58

It don't take but one open window.  Don't even think about an open door,

Well it is interesting that although poles apart in belief, having read the bible as you know, I think your lack of interpretation is a better way to read it than many here. I still say it is dangerous rubbish, that will not surprise you! smile

Am not suprised   thats OK by me.   I gotta go tile a bathroom and make a dollar...  Yaul ALL Have a good day..

13. NewYorker profile image59
    NewYorkerposted 14 years ago

What confuses me about the bible is how people actually find the time to read something that boring ..

That is a really valid point! I would suggest .... Nobody who has not been lent on, dripped on and indoctrinated. Does that sound about right? smile

That sounds more than right! It sounds CORRECT!

I spent some time in New York, you are as quick as the city itself! Loved it by the way! smile

Oh yeah, where'd you stay?

I have been a few times. Stayed on fifth. I will remember the name of the hotel! Old and poky and really good. other times I stayed with friends in Manhattan and Brooklyn. I found the best fun was to meet locals in the deli, or anywhere that locals frequent, like bars. I always had fun all over America and Canada. I also did over all your car museums. in every state that had one! I am a car and motorcycle freak! lol

If you're a car freak, you would have LOVED the NYPD Museum.

Have you ever checked out Hell's Kitchen, Spanish Harlem or Chinatown? If you have not, I'm telling you, check out these three neighborshoods next time you get here. And yes, Obama does SUCK!

First point Obama is good! smile
                  I got to all three neighborhoods, and next time I will do the same again! New York is a world! smile

Just checked out your profile, left you some fan mail and other treats for you, you're from Australia?
                    Been there!

Sydney and.. Victoria I think. Man, you guys can drink and party.

14. earnestshub profile image80

And just to let you know, i just became a follower, and I do not dislike Obama! lol

15. earnestshub profile image80

By the way, I was an outback kid who moved to a very big city (4 million) when I was 20. Melbourne is bigger than New York, but much less population density. It covers about 65 miles by 30 miles in area.That is bigger isn't it?
    I fell in love with New York and wanted to move there! smile

That's bigger than New York, although our population just reached 20,000,000.

I'm a small town boy from California, moved to New York for college and it took me a year to fall inlove with NY (maybe because I kept getting mugged), but obviously your first impression was better than mine, Lol.

Although now, I wouldn't live anywhere else in the world.

I don't blame you for being happy in the big apple. My first trip was 1977. I saw a couple of muggings, near broadway under bright lights, but the ones I saw were almost begging to be mugged!
        I saw a mugger in a doorway, then I saw the muggees!
        I followed a few drug dealers around to see how many people you had to go through to get drugs! Just curious, not buying. It was fun! They all had enormous walkie talkies to make contact. In the end one got pissed off and threatened me, so I stopped my sport and went back to the Taft hotel! Told you I would remember the name of that hotel! lol

I do this sometimes. Follow drug dealers around, never with the intention to buy, just to see what it's like to be them.. Y'know.. I would like to refer to it as an anthropological interactive observation.

And the Taft? The Taft is amazing! They were planning on changing that one to a four seasons.. don't know if they did, lol

You sound like a spirited person! Ya gotta live doncha? Big city, big life! I loved the old taft. Stayed on the 16th floor facing the twin towers as I recall. The lobby and reception were so olde world! So many buskers outside, and guys selling self lighting yo yos! Great memories! smile

Big city, big life, stressful job and a two bedroom apartment on Lexington! Living the dream, my man.

This hotel is gorgeous. Feels like going back to the mid 1800's or something, lol

Wonderful! Stress is good if you like what you do! Any family? smile
                Yeh loved that old hotel!

No, just a girlfriend. I'm waiting to settle down better before I rush into something more. I'm 27 years old, I work about 12 - 16 hours a day and I don't want my kids to grow up around that. I'm waiting to finish my residency so I can refer to myself as a real psychiatrist and open my own practise, good and steady 9 - 5 job.

Well I believe from what I have seen so far, you will be an asset.
                    I love psychology as for psychiatry well,  I wish I knew more.
                    I have a long standing learning of jungian theories, and have read all of his work. I have also read Maria Louise Von Franz, Hillman, and other post Jungians. I have also done a Uni course.
                    I must ask.. are you required to read "The Puer Papers?"
                    I have been reading them for years! Bit hard for a self educated back land boy! smile

16. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

The only thing that confuses me about the bible is why people take it so literally and expend so much time arguing about it?

The other thing I really have never understood is why someone letting themselves get crucified supposedly 'saved' the world? Just looks like poor life choices to me.  The world hasn't changed much since the first century AD - still loads of violence, killing, abuse, intolerance etc going on, a lot of it by so-called religious people.  I make mistakes in life, but I don't 'sin' and I don't need saving.

All it seems to have bred is a bunch of people who think it is a good thing to martyr themselves - surely anyone can do more to improve their world alive and if you believe in a god who gave you life and tells you not to kill, why would that god demand the life of his only son and be at all pleased at people throwing their lives away for philosophical/theological point?

Bloody good points! smile

2. Valerie F profile image60

You'd think differently if someone put their own life on the line for you.

17. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

The several hundred pages between the covers smile

18. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

What confused me about the Bible? Nothing, really. It's a bunch of old myths, some drawn off other myths stolen from other cultures, written by a bunch of varying dead men with intellects that believed in all kinds of crap the way people did back then.

I am not even confused by the fact that the religions it was formed by managed to gain so many followers. Christians like to believe that it's spiritual conviction, but what they actually are experiencing is the ancient art of gullibility.

And I am not confused that the religions have endured. For the most part, people really haven't changed that much. Most peoples' minds have been in a rut for... ever. And that is the way the powers that be like it. Let them eat cake, as they say. It keeps your minds and hearts occupied and numb, your head bent and your hands obediant.

It's kinda sad, but not really confusing after you've taken a good look at it and understand its evolution. People are slowly waking up, and as someone else here pointed out, they are indeed leaving the flock in droves, so that is good.

For anyone who is confused, start looking at the origins and development of the bible, and the origins and development of the religions. Even better, take a look at the origins and development of ancient religions in general. It will all start to become clear for you.

19. efeguy profile image42
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

nothing.it inspire me and give me reasons to live everyday

20. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I always suspected HP is an online dating site lol

21. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

What confuses you about the bible?

Nothing. It's clear in it's subjective nature. It's clear in the mixed messages it brings to people, so they can contradict their own existence. It's clear that it was brought about to help society move forward, but had diminished the value of living.

Nope, I'm not confused by the bible. Not at all. smile

22. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

If the Bible is the word of God how then can it change? In the original king James version you have "My cup floweth over" and in the most modern King James you have: "My cup is full". There is a BIG difference in an overflowing cup and a cup that is full.

If you can constantly change and update the so called word then what can it possibly mean? It certainly can't stand up to time and the whims of Christian scribes.

23. shazz01109 profile image67
    shazz01109posted 14 years ago

It's contradictions (i.e. Gospels).  I am Christian, and believe that the truth is in the Bible.  I just don't take the Bible and interpret it literally...

I could give you a different way to look at it and see what you think...if you like?

The bible isn't to be taken literal. Even, Albert Einstein said it best- Science without religion is lame, Religion without science is blind.

If you're curious what he meant?

Science requires ethics. Religion is suppose to be ethical rules for living life.

However, Religion is false and science is truth. Religion(blindful acceptance of mystical higher cause) and Science best defines truth as we know it to be.

1. profile image0
        Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Loved this reply, Cagsil. I almost completely agree. lol

2. shazz01109 profile image67
        shazz01109posted 14 years agoin reply to this

No offense, but reading the Bible, or the Bible in and of itself is not religion.  Reading the Bible can be both religious and spiritual, and also just a spiritual thing, and not religious.  Unfortunately, there are many people who take a literal interpretation of the Bible.  I think that the Bible has the 'truth' in it, in that the lessons from the stories have some moral 'truth.'  I don't get caught up in science vs. religion.  Both take a leap of faith, both contain truth, both have limitations, and both have their flaws...

I agree that there is some truth in the bible. And alot of crap. There is some truth in just about any book.

24. Cagsil profile image70

Albert Einstein quoted yet again.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Just a thought? lol

Love this one.

25. Cagsil profile image70

Here is yet another from Einstein.

The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one.

Yet another editing in:

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

1. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmm... you know, I never took much interest in Einstein before. I may have to do some research about him. These quotes are brilliant.

I'm glad you like them. smile

26. aware profile image65
    awareposted 14 years ago

the anger towards it. its a book . why it causes so much tension   irks me

yay U M Right, Norinit

I gree Looks lkike buk rioght? Yes

27. aware profile image65
    awareposted 14 years ago

hay mark?

28. Elilah profile image60
    Elilahposted 14 years ago

lol ahh that is great

1. profile image0

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/einstein3.gif

29. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

What's confusing about the Bible ?
    Nothing. Just words. Take them as you like.

30. Elilah profile image60
    Elilahposted 14 years ago

All religions are riddled with dogmas, contradictions, hypocrisies keeping us chasing our tails like confused domesticated primates.  Obviously, we have been led far far far astray from the Ultimate Truth that we are ALL of ONE Collective Unconscious.  We the masses in all countries cultures are programmed to believe the lies given throughout the aeons so we keep fighting amongst each other and they the elitest pricks governing us with rules and regulations keep taking our fricking money-magic paper to keep us working not backed by gold-and having a blast in Heaven as we all work our asses off for little to nothing.  We will Wake Up when ALL is ready and willing.  Really they do not care about the money so long as we are ALL under control not questioning behaving like the little robotic sheep that is easy to boss around.  Funny thing is we are so much more than they.  What seperates them from us is their robotic non questioning soldiers or armies.  Even funnier is there is more of us than the military.  We just don't question.  OR Change.  OR get off our asses to DO something about it.

1. profile image0

Could you tell us how you really feel?

Age of aquarius, baby! LOL

31. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

I have some things I need to take care of right now. Sneako I'll check back later if you wish to continue the discussion. You may want to go ahead a present your interpretation of our religious freedom and stop assuming that you know what motivates my disbelief. Cause all you're doing so far is proving my point that most of the prominent religious beliefs do more harm to our society than good.

32. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 14 years ago

What confuses me about the Bible is Everyone understands it but No one agrees on it...
    Am I Missing something here...

33. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Did Noah have woodpeckers on the ark? If he did, where did he keep them?

1. Hokey profile image60

Why don't woodpeckers get headaches when they slam their head on a tree all day?

1. Hokey profile image60

Doesn't a lightning rod on top of church show a lack of faith?

1. Hokey profile image60

Do Jewish vampires avoid crosses or Stars of David?

1. Hokey profile image60

What is satn's last name?

2. Misha profile image62
            Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't have anybody but yourself to talk to? Poor thing wink

1. Hokey profile image60

When Atheists go to court, do they have to swear on the bible?

3. Rod Marsden profile image67
            Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Generally speaking Jewish vampires avoid the Star of David. I don't believe there are any Jewish Christians left in this world. I could be wrong.

1. profile image0

Please explain Jewish Vampires. My husband is Jewish and he hasn't bitten me yet..Well he hasn't drawn blood anyway.
              http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sex014.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sex020.gif

34. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

What's funny about it is how often I'm asked by Christians if I'm working on trying to disprove god's existence, and others will tell me I can't as if that gives their belief more merit, sorry guys, but it doesn't.

35. earnestshub profile image80

It takes little effort to see how ridiculous biblical belief is  in the number of religions it creates. smile

1. Hokey profile image60

Here's a list of "deities/people" you cannot prove do not exist, that I could believe in:
      Zeus
      Poseidon
      Aphrodite
      Huitzilopochtli
      Wodanaz
      Horus
      Fujin
      The Flying Spaghetti Monster
      The Invisible Pink Unicorn
      Tooth Fairy
      Santa Clause
      Boogeyman

Not a bad list there Hokey! Of course we have a history history going back before Ra that all the other gods seemed to have evolved from. Gotta love continuity! lol

36. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

The true mystical experience (connection with the Absolute) is beyond description, and cannot be explained to one who has not experienced it himself. Just as a person who has been blind since birth cannot comprehend the concept of color so one who has been spiritually blind cannot grasp the brilliant spectrum of the spiritual world.

Rabbi Abraham Abulafia said:
    One who reaches the highest level cannot reveal it to anyone. All he can do is give over the keys, so that the enlightened individual can open the gates which are sealed to exclude the unworthy.

1. profile image53
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

This weak and tired argument is patterned under the fallacy that something that doesn't exist can be compared to something that does.

2. cheaptrick profile image74
      cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I Reached "The Highest Level"one night down at Scullys pub!
      Your Right!
      I handed the"Keys"over to someone else!
      I just can't remember Who!
      I am"Unworthy"<------->smile

1. profile image0

A man puts away childish things. big_smile
        And OooH you've hurt me so badly!  NOT. big_smile

Hi Deborah. smile

1. profile image0

Hello Earnest. http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/balloons.gif

37. earnestshub profile image80

Watch it sneaker! You've gone all reasonable again! lol

38. earnestshub profile image80

How many different versions of the "truth" and the "word" are there? lol lol lol

Good daa earnist... 
         You are starting to sound like me...  One truth .. too many interpretations... 
         Just cause it was marketed poorly does not mean that the product does not exist.

Marketing the old testament is a hard sell even for the big guns. Lot's of hard to explain psychosis in that lot! smile

Yea I gotta agree, that is imposible to explain with all certainty.  I've got a couple of potential explinations .. but I'm too tired to tell it correctly today.  I'm pooped goina soak in the hot tub  in a few min.

Sounds like heaven! lol

It feels more like hell. Of my own making.

Like I said my brain ain't hittin on all eight cylinders tonight...  But there are lots of good possible reasons that much of the population may have needed to have been eradicated.

Here is one brain dead attempt to explain one of them.

Just suppose that GOD  initiated evolution. And just suppose that there was one species of humanoid that almost lived up to his expectations and he tweaked it just a little.
                 He then eradicated the rest of the evolved species cause he knew that this one was it.

And then this one turned its back on his. He gave them plenty of warnings and prophesies that would be fulfilled if they didn't rethink their position.
                 The book of Daniel foretold exactly how that favored Nation will come to its end of Days.
                 He also foretold that "THE BEAST" as seen in Rev. 13 would become a False RELIGION. And he told of a false Prophet.
                 And during the days of this False Prophet and False RELIGION ; He was going to have a hands off mentality.
                 And after we bring ourselves to the brink of destruction he will step it and prevent our inhalation of ourselves.
                 This isn't a very well written explination of what I'm thinking but is kinda sorta what I'm thinking.

39. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Catholic Bible? You mean there are different ones? Hmmmm

40. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

1. The first book of the Bible is Guinness's,  In the book of Guinness Adam and Eve were created from an apple
          (Hmm could they mean Genesis?)
       2. Adam and Eve were created from an apple tree. Noah's wife was Joan of the Ark. Noah built the ark and the animals came on in pears.
       3. Moses went to the top of Mount Cyanide to get the 10 Commandments.
       4. The first commandment was when Eve told Adam to eat the apple.
       5. The seventh commandment is thou shalt not admit      ery.
       6. Lot's wife was a pillar of salt by day and a ball of fire by night.
       7. Samson slayed the Philistines with the axe of the apostles.
       8. The greatest miracle in the bible is when Joshua told his son to stand still and he actually obeyed him.
       9. Unleavened bread is bread made with no ingredients.
      10. A Christian should have only one wife. This is called monotony.
      11. Joshua led the Hebrews in the battle of Geritol.
      12. Solomon had 100 wives and 700 porcupines.
      13. The epistles were the wives of the apostles.
      14. When Mary heard she was the mother of Jesus, she sang the Magna Carta.
      15. When the three wise guys from the east side arrived they found Jesus sacked in the manager.
      16. The people who followed the Lord were called the 12 decibels.
      17. St. Paul cavorted to Christianity. He preached holy acrimony, which is another name for marriage.

41. earnestshub profile image80

Too much! I am enjoying this far too much!!!! Now I should feel guilty! Nah can't do it! So funny!!! lol lol lol lol
    That's right it is worth 4 lol's!

42. earnestshub profile image80

Must be hard to be tolerant with so many hundreds of different "christian" beliefs. All from the same book! Hilarious! lol

What about the "personal" god? Everyone has their own personal beliefs, so they also have their own personal god. Many people have said, during conversations recently, my god isn't like that?

Oh really? lol lol lol lol lol

43. Cagsil profile image70

Some say, I serve the only TRUE God?

Oh really? How is it that there is only ONE true god, yet billions of people have their own personal GOD? And, their God is just as powerful as the next God?

Who thinks up this garbage? People buy into it...it funny! lol

44. earnestshub profile image80

This seems to be the story so far.
    God makes the earth and all the firmament in 7 days.
    No problem.
    omniscient
    Then he creates man and answers his prayers.
    No problem there.
    omnipotent
    Then god sees all on earth.
    No worries here either.
    Omnipresent
    After seeing the state of what he created god decides ah screw the poor and starving, I will just go and help the 'believers"
    omni hateful!

45. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Are orthodox Jews automatically immune to the swine flu?

46. earnestshub profile image80

Yes well the problem I have with that is the same throughout this tome. Why would any god (assuming god does not suffer from mental illness,) behave in a way that any decent human with or without religious belief would not?
    Why would an omniscient god screw up the human body and mind, create the devil, then blame all his own screw ups on mankind, then allow all the pain and suffering which being omniscient would be a snap to stop! Why would a god not adjust seratonin uptake so that murder and mahem are no longer in control of the brain? Why make mankind at all if it is then to be punished and controlled for it's whole existence.
    To also accept this type of inferior entity as a god and worship it seems to me to be insanity caused by brainwashing.
    Of all the possible reasons for us being here , this makes the tooth fairy seem really valid! Crazy! lol

1. Hokey profile image60

Great post! Took the words right out of my mouth. Now this is truth!

47. earnestshub profile image80

Here is an example of gods "work"
    Next time there is an earthquake, you will know it is not the earth's plates moving!

The LORD is a jealous God, filled with vengeance and wrath.  He takes revenge on all who oppose him and furiously destroys his enemies!  The LORD is slow to get angry, but his power is great, and he never lets the guilty go unpunished.  He displays his power in the whirlwind and the storm.  The billowing clouds are the dust beneath his feet.  At his command the oceans and rivers dry up, the lush pastures of Bashan and Carmel fade, and the green forests of Lebanon wilt.  In his presence the mountains quake, and the hills melt away; the earth trembles, and its people are destroyed.  Who can stand before his fierce anger?  Who can survive his burning fury?  His rage blazes forth like fire, and the mountains crumble to dust in his presence.  The LORD is good.  When trouble comes, he is a strong refuge.  And he knows everyone who trusts in him.  But he sweeps away his enemies in an overwhelming flood.  He pursues his foes into the darkness of night.   (Nahum 1:2-8 NLT)

Wow! so believable! lol
    Neurotic delusional little god! lol

48. Jerami profile image58

I can see your point and say that it seems to have some validity.
       I can see my point and see some flaws in it.

There's gotta be something that we haven't put into our equation. Something that we do not know???

49. earnestshub profile image80

The agenda is set. Fear is at base. Examples are given, obedience required but not possible.
    A neurotic agenda. smile

50. earnestshub profile image80

I think it is too hard for religionists to quit their fear based beliefs. I remember from psychology that man will do anything in preference to self examination and believe it is true. It took years after I educated my self about science and psychology, maths and logic before I could get myself free of religious indoctrination, and feel so lucky to have escaped. It took courage and time.
    Science does not set out to disprove religion. Lawrence Krauss never said a word about it until attacked and most scientists are the same.
    Some things are known, some not, but what is known has passed the rigours of scientific method, peer review and religious attacks.
    It has also created much in tangible medical and other development.
    Religion is a static set of beliefs the detail of which cannot be agreed on that cause war and conflict.
    The megalomania of having been "saved" as opposed to "hellbent" is outrageous! smile

There are some religions that actually encourage self-examination and discourage any attempts to avoid it.

What's more megalomanic? Believing one's self to be saved, or to think one's self so special as to never need saving?

No, non believers do not believe in being saved by an impossible entity. Nothing megalomanic there. smile

Do you believe there is nothing in the universe superior to yourself?

1. figment profile image74
            figmentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it's bullshit all the stuff left out (hidden) from us to know.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)