Is everyone poor & broke?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

How is it possible that the message boards I choose seem to have so many poor & broke people.  Is everyone poor & broke?  If they are all poor & broke, how do they afford internet?  Just a random question of the day.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm almost going into debt to pay for it, but I'm hoping I can make money online.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
      Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
        Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually to be honest, I have not had a job in over 2 years now, I have been living off of savings, I am not going hungry (yet) but I have greatly reduced my monthly expenditures, internet is my main entertainment spending until I find a job...

I own my boat, and plan on moving south once the weather breaks, so for now I'm kind of in a holding pattern...

3. profile image0
      Kenrick Chatmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not everyone is poor and broke.

2. RedElf profile image90
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

not yet... big_smile

3. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I don't know if everyone is poor or broke maybe they budget to keep it. Poor and broke could take on different meanings, for many of us we were once comofortable and now we are pinching pennies.

I will always be rich with life no matter how many pennies are not in the cookie jar. smile

4. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I know a lot of people struggling. There are many different factors weighing on to determining why they are?

However, I'm presently unable to answer it, until my project, surveys, polls and other things I'm working is finished.

I've met of few of the local homeless people, I run into many in the community. hmm

5. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 14 years ago

I'm not spending money on things as I did a few years ago.
    I am not hungry and have a roof over my head; so I'm not poor but
    broke. sad

6. profile image0
    rocknrodeogirlposted 14 years ago

I'm better the some, worse than others...I've had to cut a few things from my budget, because they cut our hours at work. The reason I can afford internet...it's easy...it's a free perk where I'm living, I just use my friend's wireless signal. wink

7. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

I read not very long ago, and I also heard this on one of those financial tv shows on sundays, that we have a situation where 1% of the population have control of about 97% of the money, but I am not sure if they were referring to just the USA or on the planet as a whole, and that the spread between the poor and the rich is getting bigger and bigger

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If it matters ddsurfsca...in the U.S. that stat you have is about accurate.

On a global scale 20% of the population control over 80% of the world's wealth. And, I'm pretty sure this stat has gone up in last few years. However, before mentioned 20% is down to about 15%, with the latter rising up to as much as 90%?

Unknown exactly, because of the economic downturn devastated a lot of wealthy people. Some whom took their own lives, because of.

The stats I present are roughly about 5-10 years ago. smile

8. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

My access isn't free, but it will be the last service that I turn off.

I value internet over heat.
    This is why I'm bundled up with my thermostat at a cozy 58º.

smile

1. yenajeon profile image72
      yenajeonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OMG that is a very LOW thermostat! How do you do it?? DTE has been ripping off Michigan like crazy!!

I need to take my thermostat away from the comfy 78 I'm used to sad

9. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

God that's cheap1 Same in the UK, internet is cheap. Here I am paying €45 a month, which is about $30. Extortionate.
    But I've no heating or television, so worth it smile

10. NewYorker profile image58
    NewYorkerposted 14 years ago

I may be poor, but I'm not broke or anywhere near that. Although I will probably be paying my student loans until I'm 40-something.. And my internet costs me maybe $40 a month..

11. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

I'm doing great,not filthy rich by any means, but living comfortably, and appreciating what I have. Just thought I would brighten this thread up with some positive imput.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am doin fine, not filthy rich either, but just fine. smile
      So are all my family and friends.

1. blondepoet profile image66
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen Earnest yahoo Australia.

12. timothyjward profile image89
    timothyjwardposted 14 years ago

Poor & Broke is the new middle class...

1. profile image0
      rocknrodeogirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So true. sad

13. flread45 profile image60
    flread45posted 14 years ago

If the pay scale here doesn;t pick up I will be broken.sad

14. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

I have often heard this, that everyone on forums like this don't seem to be doing good, or are not rich anyways. The thing is, most forums are populated with people trying to figure out how to make a little money off the net.

The rich people don't take time to come onto forums like this because,, well,, they don't have to! If your rich your working hard making that money and doing things with that money.

So you find very few rich people on any forums, they don't have the time to be on them. Which is why you should always be skeptical of someone who is always on a forum boasting about how much money they make! wink

15. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years ago

Honostly, I am getting closer and closer to being poor and broke. I keep cutting costs, but my wife keeps losing income. I'm starting to get very concerned. Thanks for asking.

16. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

Internet where we are is exorbitant and costs over £26 GBP a month, but on the plus side I am nearly at a point where my Adsense earnings will cover this completely.

17. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Well between taxes and some medical bills we are right now!big_smile

18. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

I am rich in so many ways and I haven't been fixed yet! smile

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They pay that much, do they?

19. profile image0
    WildIrisposted 14 years ago

Not broke yet, but always poor.  My internet/broadband service costs $65.00 a month.  This high price is due to living off the grid in a rural location. The bright side is that we get to work from home and avoid a 1.5hr. one way commute to town.

20. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I'm a college student. So yeah, broke is a good word. But I can pay my bills and am not in any debt.

Internet access is necessary for school. So I make it work.

21. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago

Internet is one of the perks of my job - and I have some time to be online almost every day.  I haven't reached the point where I need to depend on the internet to bring me money - I don't know much about how to do that.  I just enjoy writing and communicating and I know my life would be so very poor without it and these forums and you guys who keep me from going stark raving!

22. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

I'm almost embarrassed to say I am doing really well and have a great job that pays very well...I make a point to donate money and when possible my time to help less fortunate people and charities.

1. Bill Manning profile image69
      Bill Manningposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh please, never never feel embarrassed to feel your doing well! That's what we all strive for, to do well money wise. I'm hoping by the end of this year I'll hit my goal of making what I want to make each week. And all while working at home on the net. smile

23. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I'm poor, but that is mostly down to immigration costs for America, so far it has cost me and my partner over £3000 in travelling, legal, medical, and processing fees, but hopefully just three more months and I will be there!

I am earning a fair bit on here, but I always need more!

I am hoping that when the recession starts to receed, Google click value will begin ot rise again, and more people will buy off Amazon again!

24. profile image0
    JeanMeriamposted 14 years ago

I’m not poor and broke, but I have 6 kids. One is in university and we try to help her out as much as possible which makes us a little closer to broke. It all depends on priorities I guess whether you feel broke or not.

I think broke people have the internet and probably should because it replaces so many other things. Even going to the corner to buy the newspaper to look for a job costs about $1.00 each day which is the cost of our internet. Plus there are videos, music, tv shows etc all online. We actually shut off our satellite and just watch the shows online. The internet saves us tons of money. My daughter in college is poor, but a lot of school is online now. They can’t go to university without internet these days. Most of her assignments and tests are online and they just go to the school for lectures.

25. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

There's poor-

and then there's broke.

The first is a state of mind, the second a state of wallet smile

26. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 14 years ago

I got wiped out in the bankers crisis (which we paid for)so yes I'm poor by comparison to what life used to be like, when frankly I was kinda rich!

But I am more content now than ever before, and like our friend said, poor is a state of mind!

I'm definitely broke, and at 58 there are few 'jobs' available, and in Spain there are few business 'opportunities'.

Oh and they also stopped my health business last week! - that used to provide a few Euros each month!

Shucks, why did you even ask that question!

http://womenlikemeonline.com/common/images/ManTearingHisHairOut.JPG

John

27. megs78 profile image59
    megs78posted 14 years ago

We are not rich, but we are not broke either.  The money we have is enough.  We drink good wine at dinner parties we host and we vacation in our Province rather than take a trip to disneyland.  But we are always ok.  Our 3 kids have what they need and I think thats what matters the most.

28. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

I earn a bit more than the average UK income from my translation, so I can't say I'm broke. However, I have to work exceedingly long hours to earn what I do. I worked right through last night until 7am. Got up at noon, started work again. It's now 2.45am and I'm still working, with breaks on here to help me keep going.

At the age of 56, my main concern is that I will not be able to retire ever on my existing pension fund. A combination of studying until 25 and then living abroad meant I didn't enter employment until I was 34. For many years, I did not earn enough to contribute much to my pension or to save. I don't have the option of downsizing my house to raise capital either, as it is a very small house in one of the cheapest areas of the UK.

I would love to build up some residual income through writing, so that I can at least look forward to easing up a bit as I get older!

29. Mama Sez profile image64
    Mama Sezposted 14 years ago

not poor...not broke...but not filthy rich...doing great with what we have...HAPPY smile big_smile

There are free internet access. 
    But for ours, we are paying like $24 including landline phone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)