How do you cope with chronic pain?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (54 posts)
  1. NGRIA Bassett profile image61
    NGRIA Bassettposted 14 years ago

Any non narcotic or alcohol tips?

1. DanPowers profile image47
      DanPowersposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What kind of pain? I cured my bad RSI - similar techniques can be used for fibromyalgia and back pain...

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-I-Cured-My-RSI-Symptoms

2. AnythingArtzy profile image66
      AnythingArtzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sweety, I wish I could give you a positive answer but I've finally had to go on narcotic drugs. I've fought chronic pain for the last 18 years from disc degenerative disease in my back resulting in rods being placed so I could walk, Fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis. I have tried all the "miracle" natural cures and they don't work. What I have found is to keep moving and keep the joints and muscles working so they don't tighten up will help in reducing the pain but really you just have to take it one day at a time for the aboved mentioned ailments are also affected by weather. Praying helps too smile

NGRIA Bassettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your input. I pray for your continued comfort and peace as you endure.
        I find that the mood is affected so much because the  endorphins are all a part of the pain pleasure cycle.

3. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Massage is often useful, and regular exercise if possible - swimming is good and non-impact.

And - no offense - but how heavy are you? Having worked with chronic pain suferers for ten years - I can really recommend looking at losing some weight and considering a change in diet. I have cured several people of long term symptomatic chronic pain issues by looking at their diet. Diet drinks are probably the worst offenders. The chemical concoctions in those things can induce severe pain. Next I would look at how much red meat you eat and caffeine.

If you can cut those three things out of your diet and lose some weight - that may well help.

1. AnythingArtzy profile image66
        AnythingArtzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks Mark I can sure use that advice myself. I do drink alot of caffine in cocoa and artificial sweetner. who knew

2. LeslieAdrienne profile image69
        LeslieAdrienneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mark,

I've recently been reading of the health benefits of caffinated coffee....wht do you think....

3. NGRIA Bassett profile image61

Thanks Mark.
        Weight is an issue for some while other clients are within their  normal weight ranges.
        Exercise is often jeopardised because of pains demotivating factor on the psyche so constant encouragement to move is necessary. Swimming is great though. There is a new community centre with mobility aid to assist persons to get in.

4. LeslieAdrienne profile image69
      LeslieAdrienneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

change of diet and chiropractor visits.....Oh and get rid of the negative friends......big_smile

Well said! Negativity and pity parties seem to make things worse.

5. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I take her out for shopping and dinner.smile

Great idea.

6. profile image52
      wilbakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This hubpage is all about one remedy. You can also evaluate possible solutions here; http//www.wilbake.cieaura.com. One bone marrow cancer patient reported pain relief with our products.

7. Lor's Stories profile image59
      Lor's Storiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have had Chronic pain left over due to surgery. After having a crisis over it, I decided that I have to learn how to deal with it. I cry when it gets overwhelming and then I "try" and focus on anything else.
      I dive into a good book. It gets me out of myself.

1. Elizabeth (MeMe) profile image60
        Elizabeth (MeMe)posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I too have been dealing with chronic pain for years. I have injured my back due to hard work. I work a lot of construction jobs because I was a single mom of three kids with no support. That was about all that would allow me to pay my bills. Now I have ruptures, herniated disk, and disk degeneration. I tried everything and eventually had to go on narcotics. I also take a drug called nurontin for nerve pain and muscle relaxers for spasms. I did not want to go on those grugs but at least I can do some things.  I would be interested if anyone has any ideas that would be helpful. I hope all of you that are also dealing with crinic pain has more good days than bad days. God bless all!

1. laughing loon profile image60
          laughing loonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have had three crippling back injuries (I do patient care).  Bounced back pretty well from the first two by doing yoga and taking NSAIDS for a while.  I had a treatment for another issue that made it hard to do Yoga because I could not breath, sneezed, and tore a nerve in my lower back.  I cannot move without medications and as much as I hate taking pills, I can still move now and every time I change anything I end up crippled for a while.  Try yoga.  1/2 hour a day can change your life.  Talk to your doctors about specific movements that scare you.  Modify and continue.

8. profile image0
      Amie Warrenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd like to have the answer too. I have fibro,  and the last few days have been horrible. Change in seasons always does that to me.

I use Aleve, even taking 3 at a time. Dr. said it was o.k., just not twice a day, every day.  He also said that using two aleve and two tylenol at the same time is o.k., or two ibuprofen and two tylenol, just not two aleve and two ibuprofen, because they are both nsaids.

I try not to take narcotics. I have Darvocet and Vicodyn, but I take them as little as possible, and only at night if possible. I'll tolerate a lot of pain before I take Vicodyn.  That stuff is just too addictive.

2. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

I've lived with chronic pain for the past 38 years.  Believe it or not the most successful treatment I've ever found are a hot tube and music.  Also a carpeted floor.  I can set in a hottub with headphones on and totally relax and pain in my back, shoulders and knees disappears.  Many times I simply stretch out on a carpeted floor, listen to soft music and relax and the pain subsides greatly.  I try never to touch medications anymore.

Thank you Tobey100. Everyone must see what works best for them. Relaxation and really nurturing ones self works.

2. profile image52

Tobey100 I have a non-medcine holographic chip I would like you to try. I will send a free sample if you tell me where to mail it.

3. Lor's Stories profile image59

Medication is NOT the answer. That is for sure.

I have laid on my floor and take deep breaths.

4. Elizabeth (MeMe) profile image60
      Elizabeth (MeMe)posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have been wanting to get a hot tub myself. I was told they are great for pain relief. I will get in the bath tub sometimes and light a candle and turn the lights off. I close my eye and just try to relax. That seems to help a great deal as well.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

meditation, can you try YOGA? 
    and Thai massage, I know how to do this one, if only you are near here, DALLAS??
    and music is good--agree with Tobey with this one.....

1. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I should have mentioned Thai massage.  Growing up in Thailand I can attest to the fact that it works wonders.

2. NGRIA Bassett profile image61

Thanks. there is a Thai Massage Center here in Bermuda. I will recommend that as well.

3. NGRIA Bassett profile image61

I have personally tried Yoga for certain pain and stffness. I find working out with the WII Fit Yoga workouts really helpful.
      Thank You.

1. profile image52

I should have known you were in the Islands. Please tell me where to mail your sample. I have wonderful news if you would like to help others with similiar problems. We just opened your country for retail distribution of these products. phone: 817 297 2977 email: wilbake@swbell.net

2. Lor's Stories profile image59

wii is helpful for me too. Or just doing something like drawing or writing.

4. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

Cussing helps me...

Cussing what? The pain or  being in pain?

2. Lor's Stories profile image59

yup

5. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I don't know what kind of pain you are in but my husband has arthritis of the spine and a slipped disk that has effected the sciatic nerves down both legs. With the second leg going he decided to try my ab-tech waist toning belt. It gently shocks the muscles to get a six pack or whatever (never seemed to work for me to get a 6-pack). For him he says that the pulses actually interfere with the pain receptors and it does seem to make a huge difference to how often he takes the pills he has been prescribed by the docs. I know just how dangerous being reliant on pills can be so I am very happy he has found something that seems to help that doesn't have codeine in it.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip.

6. profile image0
    blatvaposted 14 years ago

I was diagnosed with Multiple epiphyseal dysplasia when I was very young... Doctor's pumped many many drugs through me. I was taking 2400 mg of ibuprofen a day, Plus glucosamine and a few other prescriptions that I don't quite remember...
    Needless to say, When I turned 16 I went cold turkey and stopped all my meds. I didn't want to be dependant on them.. And I was scared that i was ruining my liver.
    Life is hard... Very hard... But I find that relaxation, hot soaks in the tub, and someone to run my back Helps alot.

I also frequent the chiropractor whenever it gets out of control.

Good for you. Have you tried acupuncture , reflexology or homiopathic treatments? These may bring some relief as well. Healing prayers to you and all in pain.
      I may consider writing a Hub on Multiple Epiphyseal Dysplasia.
      Thanks for sharing.

7. Lwelch profile image81
    Lwelchposted 14 years ago

I would try meditation or Yoga.  Also, very gentle aerobic exercise may work as it can up endorphins.  I know you said no meds but you may try an antidepressant or antieplileptic as they for some reason help with chronic pain.

Thanks for your great advice. Many people do not realise how draining pain is on the wellbeing of an individual. It affects the mood of those around the person in pain.

8. figment profile image75
    figmentposted 14 years ago

I was on Lyric, and it worked great, but I don't recommend it for long term usage.  I started having VERY bad memory, spelling, and reading problems.  I'm just starting to recover and I've been off 6 months.  Then I was on flexaril and a lot of Asprin.  I finally had to be moved up to narcotic meds.  I have severe pain at times.  I prescribed a lot of medicine, but I don't take as much as I'm prescribed or I'd be a walking zombie.

Thanks for reaching out and helping someone else. Much blessings to you and pain relief.

9. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

I cannot claim chronic pain - I did have sciatica that stopped me driving more than 30 minutes at a time. The cure came from yoga.

I know that no one thing is likely to be the answer but I know that here in China massage, yoga and all the other non medicine methods are the first things that people turn to - not the last. This is because medical matters in China are run still for the benefit of the patient not the drug companies.

I appreciate your helps. Thanks

10. profile image57
    leesyposted 14 years ago

I had years of 2 chronic pain issues - I know what its like not to have a light at the end of the tunnel, day in and day out.
    As well as doing everything that we are all talking about here, I got very angry and depressed, threw my medication in the bin and took up a few red wines a day (not that I condone drinking..but it numbs the central nervous system), had hot Epsom Salts foot baths (3 times a day), and started throwing down anitoxidants.  Not long after that I was introduced to Glutathione patches (nanotechnology)  How I wish they had been around earlier.  Google: Glutathione+injury+disease and you will be surprised. Not many of us know about Glut'.  And I'm not talking about Glut' tablets, eyedrops, oral drops etc etc - I am speakig of a non transdermal patch that drives your own Glut levels up to 300%. It has detoxed my liver, kidneys, gut, brain and everything else I had damaged by taking 'anything that killed pain'  Plus the pain itself releases stress hormones.

11. Lynda Gary profile image60
    Lynda Garyposted 14 years ago

I have chronic pain, and it's been a part of my life for nearly 15 years.

I, too, have to use narcotics.  I've used everything from morphine to Fentanyl (suckers).  I hate narcotics, but I don't have a choice.

If I DID have a choice, I would go holistic all the way:  Daily massage, mega doses of B12, etc., and on and on.  I KNOW it would work because, for one year, I did it.  I felt better than I've ever felt (since I got sick).  But, it's too expensive. There is no insurance coverage. 

It really sucks because if insurance covered holistic treatment, I could get off of disability and become a producer again.  But, alas, I live in the US...

12. profile image54
    littleshedevilposted 14 years ago

hey everyone i'm new here, but i just wanted to say that i have had cronic pain since i was in an accident in 1986 and i have had several since. I have found different ways to cope. I don't like taking the pain killers that they give me. So here are a few things that i found works for me, Oregon Chai latte tea ( in purple and yellow box) can get at walmart, one cup does wonders for reducing swelling in my back and joints, and this next one only works in summer, but swimming in a natural spring fed lake, which most in mn are. It is something about the minerals in the natural springs that are great healing powers(i use cold lakes not hot springs). That take all swelling out of entire body and makes you feal great. yea i spend most of my at the beach in the summer. Walking help some with the back, keeping weight down. Finally, the biggest part is mind, i don't let it consume me that i'm in pain i do things to distract my thoughts so that i don't consentrate on the pain.

Good luck, hope something works.

13. Jenny Brown profile image61
    Jenny Brownposted 14 years ago

Hi there,
    Have some <healing hugs>.
    I've had OA in my spine for many years (parachuting injury 30 years ago) and I've had fibromyalgia for about 7 years or so. At times it all gets too much and my doc has a sense of humour when I ask him for "serious drugs" ;o). I have access to some meaty opiates. But they're addictive so I use them very sparingly.

Sometimes for acute episodes e.g. a trapped finger, self-hypnosis helps tremendously but it's no use for chronic pain or I would be constantly spaced out, man.

I've been down the Pain Clinic route which was no help at all. I've been on the waiting list for hydrotherapy for 6 years, I guess they threw my referral away sad

Unfortunately, there is no answer except warm showers - which are very soothing - and distraction. Just try not to dwell on it. It really isn't fair that some folk just sail through life with just the occasional headache and some others like us live in constant pain. But that's the way it is. It is very, very hard for family and friends to empathise because they really cannot imagine unending pain.

Distraction! Fluffy bunnies. Love and smiles. Blue skies and sunshine.

Good luck and keep smiling.

14. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

If it's bad enough I drink a glass of Scotch. Usually my non narcotic will do. My best friend has sciatica problems and used to get a spinal, it quit working for him and he found a Chinese Dr. that does acupuncture, he now swears by it.

1. blondepoet profile image68
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Ralwus great to see you.

15. aliceone profile image61
    aliceoneposted 14 years ago

Yoga, hard exercise, special medicinal foods and a lot of complaining. : )

16. frogyfish profile image74
    frogyfishposted 14 years ago

Mark Knowles hub had good tips that have seemed to work in my family.  Also massage has definitely helped me.  I have had chronic pain for 15 years and nothing helps for enough or long term.  About a month ago I was introduced to Cieaura as Wilbaks answer mentioned, and those utterly unbelievable holograms are actually lessening intensity of pain.  Placebo or not, they are helping.  I read the 'quack' stuff online about them too. I also received a sample of Advita holograms in mail yesterday but have not applied it yet.  Best wishes in finding what works for YOU!

17. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

I have been dealing with tendonitis in my right arm and shoulder for a few years now, and have tried everything but surgery. However, now that I am no longer working, getting any kind of perscription or treatment is out, because I have no money. When I am having serious pain a nice hot bath helps.

The only pain medicine that works for me is Alieve. I have some lyrica left over from a prescription, but, after reading all the side effects, I decided not to take it.

Ice and heat also usually helps. but, only temporary. Since I am no longer working, my pain level has dropped 50 percent, so
    that was a big relief, otherwise I'm sure my pain would have only been made worse.

18. CodyPhrenism profile image56
    CodyPhrenismposted 14 years ago

Not to spark up controversey, but cannabis indica is a very effective pain reliever and much safer for you than any pharmaceuticals your doctor will prescribe you. On top of that, DLPA has been shown to help with chronic pain. Hope this helps!

1. averagemom profile image59
      averagemomposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, heard of cannabis indica, or in other words marijuana, as a great way to relieve pain.  you can get medical marijuana.  I know of a quadriplegic and a cancer patient using it to relieve it.  ask your dr to prescribe some.  it's all natural and beats the synthetic stuff dr.s pump into you.

nope.  i do not smoke marijuana and never did.  neither do i support the idea that people should smoke it to get high, but, if some people's pain are so intense that life cannot be fully lived because of the pain, it may be a good idea to try a natural substance.

19. baggz profile image60
    baggzposted 13 years ago

Hello
        Thank you all for this great information. My wife has chronic pain too. The doctors are, well, really clueless so the hunt is on. We sure don't want to get strung out on some drug from the big drug companies. A lot of doctors seem not to care. Try yoga and or any exercise, yes take it slow and ease into it as much as you can. Massage and what you eat is very, very important. Try the wild oat bath and elixir, I wrote about. At any rate thanks again for this fabulous hub and I hope what I told you helps.
    baggzyue

20. profile image50
    Gropen AnimaVitaposted 13 years ago

A lot of different kinds of treatments for pain are avaliable. Where do you live?
    Depending on how your pain looks like, maybe i can tell what kind of medical doctor near you, can be consulted.

Do not hesitate to contact me by email:

Carlos Gropen, M.D.
    email: gropen@unb.br
    Internal Medicine and Pain Professor
    Brasília University.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)