I need help! ASAP

Jump to Last Post 1-45 of 45 discussions (95 posts)
  1. Dottie1 profile image60
    Dottie1posted 15 years ago

There is a cricket in my house the size of a Monster.  I am scared!  He/she was in my bathroom at 2:00 am this morning.  I put on my shoes and got the broom and attacked.  It has quite high jumping capacity, oh my!!  After a good fight, I lost sight of it but somehow thought he won the  battle.  Gave up and went to bed!

I got up this morning to make coffee and it was in my kitchen.  I put on my shoes and chased it again.  It went into the closet.  I thought good, maybe it will suffocate.  In case it came out (oh crap someone's at the door brb.).  (peeking outside, phheeeew, it's just a guy in a brown suit, good he can leave the package - I'm not going downstairs with the Monster) (2nd thought maybe I should have let him in.  Guys like Monsters, right?)  But anyway, I left the backdoor open incase it came out of the closet, I thought he might be smart enough to jump outside but NOOOOOOO!

I just went downstairs to have some lunch and I came face to face with the Monster in my pantry.    This time I ran.  Help!  What do I do now?

1. marisuewrites profile image58
      marisuewritesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ghost Busters!!  smile))   i hate those things...

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

They are very tasty dipped in chocolate. I prefer dark chocolate myself, but any will do.

Crunchy lol

3. Dottie1 profile image60

Oh Mark, thanks for coming to my rescue.  Maybe that is a good idea, I am HUNGRY and I do love chocolate but I've got to catch it before I can eat it.  You flunk Mark, I need more help!

Dottie1posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Oh I'm sorry Mark, we have never said hello before and that was NOT such a great how do you do but I am scared.  I'm truly sorrry.  Please forgive me.

4. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

lol

Throw a net curtain over it?

I usually try and trap them with a glass, because my wife is terrified of "crunchy" bugs.

5. Dottie1 profile image60

My husband just called me from work to let me know he will be stopping by for lunch because he has to travel this way to go to the bank.  I told him about the Monster in the pantry.   (Maybe this is why I've stayed married to him for 25 years.  He ALWAYS comes to my rescue!!!!  Maybe this is the secret to longevity to marriage.)  Who could ask for anything more.  Thanks Mark for your suggestion but I think I'll leave this one for him.  Mark, I think you should do a hub on "Tasty Crickets Dipped in Chocolate".  Thanks again for your quick response.

6. Dottie1 profile image60

Update on the Monster:  Husband came home.  Cricket was sitting at the back door.  Hubby kicked him out!  He's now Born Free!

7. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 15 years ago

I hate bugs.  If there's a cricket in my house that big and I can't kill it easily, I'll set the house on fire.

Bookmarked!

8. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL I have plenty - and my kids play with them lol

Maybe if Mark will write that hub on "Tasty Crickets Dipped in Chocoate" you'll have a new recipe treat to give your kids.  They will love you for it!  smile

9. karen eini profile image59
    karen einiposted 15 years ago

Dottie,
    In Israel we have  yucky crickets  but even worse are the  things we call JUKEEM. They are the biggest,scariest, hairiest  cockroaches you ever saw in your whole life. Some even fly!! Disguuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusting.
    Last week as I was coming downstairs from my office, I saw one crossing the livingroom floor. I screamed and everyone else laughed and ran into their bedrooms. INCLUDING my  hero husband. He was shaking in the bedroom, shouting orders- Get it, Get it!!!

Left to my own devices, I battled it out with this scary, creepy, ugly creature and squished it outside with a broom. But it turned around, stood up on its hind legs and charged for me!!!
    I ran like a speeding bullet back into the house and slammed the door. It crawled under the door and headed straight for me.
    To make a long story short, the whole family has been locked up on bedrooms while this cockroach rules the house. WELL almost. I don't know where it is either.
    I can totally identify with you...
    EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
    Karen

to think that I was so scared of a cricket BUT it wasn't just a regular cricket it was a Monster with Nike's on!  If it was ever a cockroach I wouldn't be here to tell you about it!

10. profile image0
    In-Correctposted 15 years ago

Be glad you don't have to live with wasps. Even with the doors and windows closed the wasps will find their way inside. But I have learned to live with them, and I have also learned to live with wasps landing in my eye, or landing on top of my head, or laying beside me when I sleep, watching me type on the computer and then flying towards the screen, but I haven't been stung yet. I even pet one. Okay...something is really wrong here...Why are they not stinging me?? I think I might make a great bee farmer.

Where the heck do you live?

2. Shirley Anderson profile image72
      Shirley Andersonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

<shudder!!!!!!!>   This would be my worst nightmare come true!  I am phobically afraid of wasps, hornets, bees....any stinging flying insect.  It would be a mercy to die rather than have those things co-habitate with me.

On the other hand, Dottie - I love crickets!!  Not to eat, mind you, but I love listening to them.

Shirley, I know this is hard to believe, but it's true, and you believe in me. (right?)   

Anyway, at 12:30 a.m. early Thursday morning I was finishing reading a hub (Welcome to My World Said the Spider - Part I) and decided I needed some sleep.  Walking through the kitchen I saw another cricket.  I didn't panic this time.  I got the broom and tried guiding it about 15' to the backdoor.  After cricket hopped twice with me guiding it, it jumped onto the broom and I rode it out the back door! 

The night was cool, no air conditioners on, so it was very quiet here, and I peacefully fell asleep with the orchestra of singing crickets outside my bedroom window.  I love crickets now.  I think I'm cured.

1. Shirley Anderson profile image72

You rode the broom out the door?  Geesh, why were you selling the house to raise airfare?  smile

There is absolutely nothing that will lull you to sleep better than crickets singing.  I just love it, it's so peaceful.

Glad you are okay with them now, Dottie.

Shirley, you ask why was I selling the house to raise airfare????  You know why Shirley.  For the same reason you were selling your liver.  We had to do what we had to do for such an important and worthwhile cause.

1. compu-smart profile image91
              compu-smartposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL at this thread and  Dont DONT DO ITT!! !! (sell your kidney) although it WILL be worth it!! wink

11. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

Crickets are our friends. . .  maybe our conscience. Remember Jimminy Cricket?  Maybe you just have a guilty secret that needs to be stomped out.

In some countries crickets are kept as pets-- Yes, I know the look a little too much like cockroaches-- but that is not their fault.

Learn to embrace your fears and let your conscience be your guide.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
      Shadesbreathposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I will embrace the first cricket that sings to me, in English, like Jimminy did.  Until then, the the shoes still fly or the house still burns.  End of story.

Karen, you probably need to torch your place too.  Maybe get a flamethrower or something.  A cockroach like that might be big enough to work the fire extiguisher in the kitchen if you just, you know, set the place on fire regular like.  Flamethrower is the safest bet and probably the only way to go.

12. webismine profile image56
    webismineposted 15 years ago

Funny thread smile

13. Bob Ewing profile image65
    Bob Ewingposted 15 years ago

I usually simply ask them to leave and point to the chocolate sauce as a hint what will happen if they refuse. I find dry roasting them first is best.

14. Maddie Ruud profile image71
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

I'm ok with crickets, but I'm terrified of spiders.  I point them out to Vivi and she eats them... problem is, she can only see them when they're moving, so I sometimes have to blow on them to get them to scurry.

She gets pretty excited about it all.  All you have to do is say, "Vivi, bug!" and she starts looking around frantically, ears perked, trying to figure out where it is so she can munch it up.

15. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 15 years ago

The only crawling thing I don't like much is the scorpion. When a friend lived in Texas, she said they squeezed in under her kitchen door every night and the first thing she had to do each morning was sweep them out. Don't know why she didn't fix the door.

Now daddy-longlegs -- those are cute.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Daddy longlegs have a cute endearing name but they are not so benign and delicate as their name implies.

Scorpions love to  crawl into shoes, Shake out your footwear before insertng toes.

Send me your crickets. I will gladly exchange  for any scorpions and roaches.

16. profile image0
    SirDentposted 15 years ago

I think maybe you should get hold of Mighty Hunter. He will be able to tell you how to get rid of those nasty creatures.

Check out his profile picture.
    http://z.hubpages.com/u/457400_200.jpg

17. dineane profile image82
    dineaneposted 15 years ago

Crickets, roaches, spiders, etc. I hate 'em all!

We have these terrible things in NC called cave crickets. UGLY! And they jump as high as I am tall - maybe more! Thank God I haven't seen one since we move into this house. I loved our basement in the old house except for the crickets. There were times I simply could not get the laundry done because a cave cricket blocked my way down the basement stairs.

Oh, and for the record, Grandaddy Longlegs are NOT cute.

This seems like an appropriate thread for me to share my very low traffic hub about another NC favorite, the wolf spider. Maddie, if you snip my link for being self-promotional, well, I'll get over it :-)

http://hubpages.com/hub/Camilles-Daddy

dineane, i'm glad i got here before Maddie.  Love the poem with spider in it.

18. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 15 years ago

I have a solution for all you "bug-haters" bring in a lizard like a bearded dragon... my babies get rid of any bug that even dares to walk into their territory.

19. Dottie1 profile image60

You guys are all seriously F U N N Y with all your bug stories.  They made me seriously laugh!!!

20. Marian Swift profile image61
    Marian Swiftposted 15 years ago

I love cricket choirs.  Sounds like yours came from the bass section!

Cockroaches, now ... I grew up in Hawaii.  Those guys'd come in and walk off with your TV and your beer!

21. compu-smart profile image91
    compu-smartposted 15 years ago

Dottie,
    I hope you have managed to deal with mr Jimmy!! and be careful if you decide to set it  on fire! The reason why i say this is, this guy had a mouse in his house, that ran out in the yard and he still set it on fire while in bhis yard, and then the mouse ran back in the house and set it all on fire!!
    and as Rochelle Frank wrote:

"Crickets are our friends. . .  maybe our conscience. Remember Jimminy Cricket?  Maybe you just have a guilty secret that needs to be stomped out.

In some countries crickets are kept as pets-- Yes, I know the look a little too much like cockroaches-- but that is not their fault"

I tottaly agree!smile

and like Maddie, when i see a bug, i whisper the word "parasites" very loudly and kitty knows exactly what i mean and what to do! I cant bare to listen to the crunch OR watch!! i have, like the majority of us a serious case of spiderphobia!

Something screwing is happening here!!!  Sorry, Compu-smart.  It looks like some of my comments is something you said.  Well anyway no one else will understand this except me and you.  You know what u said and I know what i said but your going to get the blame.  Something weird is happening with these postings and I can't fix it.  Sorry!

Immediate Correction.  That is Screwy!!!  I hope you don't get blamed for this compu-smart!  It's all my fault.

1. compu-smart profile image91
              compu-smartposted 15 years agoin reply to this

lmfao!! hillaarriiouus!!,
              Dottie, Its my fault! really! it had nothing at all to do with you! lol smile and having mice, squirrels, and  snake's in your house tell me you should be starting a pet business!!  reallly! lol

2-Shadesbreath,  Your comment has made me I has made me want to see this film too! when i get free time to sit out a full movie! which will be next year! sad  Any film thats been rated hillarious has to be viewed! smile

22. profile image0
    MinisterTanyaposted 15 years ago

Hi.That is so cute.lol,God Bless

23. Shadesbreath profile image78

Compusmart, your burning mouse story reminds me of that movie Mouse Hunt.  That movie was hilarious.  I think I might watch it today just because if this thread, lol.

Oh, and Marian Swift, you are NOT lying about those Hawaiian cockroaches.  I was there one time and had gotten up early in the morning and gone down to the hotel lobby.  All the lobby shops were closed still, with their sliding shop-cover doors slid round to conceal the merchandise within, making kind of a gantlat to walk through in the fashion of buttoned up mall.  So I'm walking down this long row of sealed off shops, it's a bit dark, but light enough to see the patterns on the carpet and read the tour posters on the wall if you look close enough.  Well, I'm going along and all of a sudden I feel something hit me on the thigh.  Not hard, but kind of heavy, as if someone had tossed a tennis ball at me or something.  I looked down and there it was, freakin' Cockroachzilla, big as a twinkie, coffee brown and clinging to my shorts like one of those baby monkeys on its mother's back.  I'm not sure if I screamed like a school girl or not, but I batted it off with a spastic, jerking backhand and, admittedly, probably leapt about a bit as if suddenly I were standing barefoot on some red hot coals.  Eventually I reclaimed my masculinity, however, and I went bravely back upstairs to my room.  To this day I have no idea what I'd gone down there for.  I called down to the concierge and recommended that they evacuate everyone immediately and burn the hotel down, but he said I was a stupid haole and that I should "grow a pair." 

(Ok, the last sentence might not be true, but the rest was.)

24. Marian Swift profile image61
    Marian Swiftposted 15 years ago

Thanks for the cautionary tale, Compu-Smart.!  Gotta admit, the thought of torching pests had never crossed my mind.  Now it never will.

Dottie, did Jiminy go away?

(Hawaiian cockroaches are everywhere on the islands.  Open up a closet, and you may just discover a shiny brown carpet wriggling on the floor.  It's not a cleanliness thing, either.  They love soap, and will eat labels off your cleaning supplies.  And still, they stink.  Ahhhhh, Paradise!)

25. Jerilee Wei profile image68
    Jerilee Weiposted 15 years ago

Recently my adult daughter had a cricket in her bedroom, only she couldn't find it.  For several hours she tore her room apart looking behind and under things to get rid of the noisy cricket.  She eventually broke down and used bug spray in all the dark places she couldn't reach. Still the cricket racket continued.

Nearing bedtime, and nearly frantic that she'd be sleeping in the same room with the offending cricket, she decided the pest must be outside her bedroom window.  Out she went in the dark, bug spray in hand and sprayed every plant and the window crevices.  Still her cricket was apparently alive.

She was way over the top angry that nothing to rid herself of this insect had worked and stomped off to bed, certain she'd never get any sleep.  About an hour later, she came into the livingroom and quite red-faced said to my husband, "Here take "your" cricket."

He protested, "It's not mine!"

She insisted, plopping it in his lap. 

Turned out her "cricket" was one of his old travel alarm clocks!

26. compu-smart profile image91

2-jerilee,

Aww, so sweet yet extreamly funny! lol! smile

27. Dottie1 profile image60

jerilee that is pretty funny.  I hope your daughter didn't throw the clock at your husband.  That would hurt more than a cricket. smile

28. oxymoron profile image57
    oxymoronposted 15 years ago

The whole thread is funny and interesting smile

Hi Oxy,  it is funny isn't it.  I'm sorry but I cannot call you a moron!!!!!

1. oxymoron profile image57
        oxymoronposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Oxy is fine and after all it's mere profile name lol

Thx. I really like the name, Oxy smile

2. webismine profile image56
          webismineposted 15 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

29. Dottie1 profile image60

I just can't understand what is happening to me in the past 3 days.  It seems now that the BUSH bug is after me.  I've just incurred a HubScore penalty on my latest hub from the Bugger!!!!

Pheeewww!  I've been cleared of the Bush Bug from the Hub Bug Administration.  Thanks for your fast response.

Now wondering!  How long will it take for my hubscore to go back up?

30. Dottie1 profile image60

I've done more apologizing on this thread than I've had to do in my life time.  All because of a bug.  I really think it is time for Rochelle to write another children's book.  This time on bugs.  What do you say Rochelle!!!!  Maybe you can explain to us in child like language what all this bug stuff is!

31. compu-smart profile image91

Dottie,
    I have been sent a Shazam spell to make all my bad luck turn good which has worked so far so goos so sit down and hold tighy while i say the magic spelll

SHAZAM!!, all your troubles and crickets will be gone!

smile

LOL L L L L !!!!  (pats kitty on head)  Thank you.  I needed that.  Comp-u-r-Smart. smile

32. Best Choice Barga profile image61
    Best Choice Bargaposted 15 years ago

Hi Dottie,  I feel for you.  I've had my fair share with critters.........ready for these?  I've had a bat in my bedroom that woke me up whooshing by my head in the middle of the night.  I got under the covers in the middle of August and it was like 100 degrees outside and stuck my hand out to feel for the phone.  I finally got the phone and called my Dad at 3am and told him what was going on, know what he did?  Laughed so hard he couldn't talk!  Then I got to laughing and finally my now ex-husband got out of bed and put on his motorcycle helmet and chased it down.  It flew into a box and he took it outside and shook the box and it flew off.  GROSS! 

While living in Florida, I've had a lizard in my kitchen sink, a green tree frog mounted on the inside of my front door (my stepson tried to get it for me and it jumped from the door and landed on his forehead and just sat there!  He screamed and dove to the floor and the frog went happily jumping behind the furniture until he was finally able to catch it), also have had a scorpion, yes a SCORPION, in my bedroom on the ceiling right above my son's crib.  My (ex)husband was out of state working so I had to deal with this one on my own.  I moved the crib and knocked the scorpion on the floor and sprayed it with every chemical/cleaner I could find in the house.  Nothing would kill it, finally I rolled the crib rollers over and over and over it until it died.  EEW, gives me the willies just thinking about it now.  Then, I've had a spider the size of a baseball in my bedroom, I swear to you, it was that big.  WHAT IS IT WITH MY BEDROOM???  My (ex)husband even admitted it was a big one.  He chased it with bug spray and it was like the Energizer Bunny on speed.  He hit it about 3 times with a magazine before it finally gave up.  Last straw was all the snakes in my yard and when a rattlesnake got run over right in front of my house, I suggested we move!

NC has been much better, only had a loose gerbil about give me a heart attack, yes once again, in my bedroom!  People wonder why I sleep on the couch sometimes!

I'm so glad your cricket friend is gone.  Every cricket you hear singing, you'll be asking yourself if that is the one?  lol               Take care!!   Kim  smile

33. Dottie1 profile image60

What a shivering story Best Choice.  I would have moved to NC too!!  I know about all the bugs in FL, my parents are from there.  Last I heard they were watching for hurricane.  Bugs not a threat right now for them!  I must go now and turn on the weather channel and help them watch!

34. Crystal Jewels profile image58
    Crystal Jewelsposted 15 years ago

I understand completely, as I have crickets who rule my house, since 1000 are shipped to my home every two weeks for my bearded dragon Tryxi! smile If she doesn't eat them right away, they escape from the holes in the light fixture.

I hate the chirping--drives me nuts! I used to freak out, but now I just say, "Oh, it's a cricket, better catch it for Tryxi..."

Glad your problem has been taken care of.

35. Shadesbreath profile image78

lol  My son's bearded dragon is one of the great ironies of my life.  I pay 35 bucks a month for a pest control company to come keep my house free of crickets and the other alien creatures known as "bugs."  Then my wife takes the boy to the pet store every week or so to bring a whole bag of crickets directly into the house where they are stored two doors down from MY BEDROOM.

I like the sound of crickets out in the field, far from me.  I hate the sound of them twenty feet away. I just know I'm going to wake up some night with one of them crawling on my lips (again).  /sigh

1. ASHWINSPGA profile image57
      ASHWINSPGAposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The mention of a cricket crawling on your lips made my stomach flip... yucks

36. William F. Torpey profile image71
    William F. Torpeyposted 15 years ago

Creepy crawley things such as spiders, crickets, wasps, hornets and scorpions are not my cup of tea, even if they're dipped in chocolate. But there's nothing worse than the dreaded thousand-legger, a very scary centipede.

Years ago my father was awakened in the middle of the night when one of those "things" found its way into his ear canal. As you can imagine, the scene was pure panic as my mother diligently dug into my dad's ear for half an hour slowly extracting the monster one leg at a time. After witnessing that awful thousand-legger scene, crickets look to me like pussycats. I say: Bring 'em on!

1. Lifebydesign profile image64
      Lifebydesignposted 15 years agoin reply to this

omg -that happened to a friend of mine with a little cockroach in the tropics while he was sleeping. It was too small to safely extricate and it still there the next morning! They tried syringing water into his ear to drown it and flush it out and that worked. It gives me nightmares thinking about it! Your dad- what a hero for putting up with it. If water doesn't work, the best thing is oil which will suffocate them. Then, drain ear!

37. Rhyemba profile image59
    Rhyembaposted 15 years ago

Lol :-) I am with Misha, the kids love any kind of bugs, insects and worms.  Good Luck. :-)

1. ASHWINSPGA profile image57
      ASHWINSPGAposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I couldnt swallow my chips reading your posts.(still trying) Crickets in the ear canal,kids loving bugs and worms. you people are really joking right?

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Actually I am dead serious - kids love to play with insects. smile

I always knew Shirley was a witch, didn't suspect Dottie was too. smile Good, witches are fun to deal with! wink

Kids really do love playing with insects.  Don't you remember?  We were kids once too!

Misha, Shirley will have to come clean now thanks to you.  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.  With two of us around now, how will you know which witch is which?

tongue

38. Shadesbreath profile image78

Well, it's true about kids.  I even liked bugs when I was a kid.  But, then I got older and came to my senses.

39. Shirley Anderson profile image72
    Shirley Andersonposted 15 years ago

Okay, Dottie....you rode your broom out the kitchen door, ergo you could ride it to the U.K.  Get it?  Huh?  smile

Mr. Furry Pants, I will definitely take your advice into consideration and consider selling a kidney rather my liver.  After all, I have a spare.  smile

Got it loud and clear Shirl.  LOL.   Here, this is just for you.

I AM A WITCH AND I CAN RIDE MY BROOM TO THE UK!!!!

Like Samantha (from Bewitched)

Like Glinda, the Good Witch of the North!

They were both beautiful and sweet, so you're good either way!

I'm good either way???  One of them is you my pretty!
              ok, you are Samantha and I am Glinda!  (Don't you have a cousin Glinda?  I have a cousin Shirley)

I have a sister-in-law Glynis...practically the same thing.

Wow, I'm one those witches....totally missed that, duh!  Perhaps another cuppa java would be a good idea.

1. B.T. Evilpants profile image60
                  B.T. Evilpantsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If you're interested, I happen to have some flying monkeys. They're cute as heck, and they have a million uses! They're not just for wicked witches anymore.

Flying monkeys, how fun!!!

Why aren't I surprised?

40. compu-smart profile image91

Dottie lol
    I was considering "requesting" a hub titled  "How to sell my Organs safetly and legally" but seeing as your now a witch! lol im wondering if  theres enough room on your broom for you AND Shirley! to come over for some tea and crumpets! lol

Compu-smart I would go ahead with your request.  The research has already been done and will be a golden opportunity for Shirley to write when she returns from ????  I think she may be here somewhere in the U.S. on a free vacation from a spleen rental.  I sure hope she doesn't forget to pick it up on her return! 

There is plenty of room for Shirley on the broom.  So we will take you up on the tea and crumpet offer.  I did find this unanswered concern of Shirley's in her Beatle Hub.  Here it is cut and pasted to you from Shirley!

"Tea & crumpets? How very British! Do we have to hold our pinkies out while we drink the tea? Will the Queen be joining us? I LOVE crumpets....butter oozing out the little holes....yum! Can I please have herbal tea? The regular stuff upsets my stomach."

I'm hoping she has a sidecar so I won't fall off.  It's a long trip!

41. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I guess both are. The more, the merrier smile

42. Chineze profile image60
    Chinezeposted 15 years ago

I hear someone complain about crickets. Maybe you should try rats. Educated rats! They won't eat anything poisoned, won't get into a mouse trap. And know just how to dodge your attacks, but I know just how to show them that I am smarter. I simply make a bowl of crayfish sauce pour some on the floor, lie on the bed and wait with my club--this usually tales place by 2-3 a.m--once i spot one sniffing, whambam, and it is dead. I actually killed four on one night. Incase you are wondering we moved into an old house recently. So we are contending ants, rats and cockroaches. I don't mind the rats, but roaches are, well, what's an appropriate word, disaster? creation mistake?. I know a friend who loves eating crickets, says they're delicious. People here in Africa even eat grilled millipede, howz dat? :-)

You have made it very clear that I am an "Insect WIMP".  Welcome to hubpages.  You have a new fan!! smile

43. Karen LaVelle profile image61
    Karen LaVelleposted 15 years ago

I have so enjoyed all of your insect stories!  Is everyone truly afraid of these beings?  Personally, I happen to like most insects and spiders and snakes and lizzards.  I DO have a fear of scorpions as I live pretty close to Louisianna and there are poison ones there.  I have an agreement with snakes.  I always know they are there before I make the mistake of scaring one into biting me.  Scorpions are attracted by electricity and love to live under rocks and lumber piles. They will actually line up in a row in front of the tv if you leave it on at night while all the other lights are out.  The rest of the insects are a piece of cake if one pays attention.

The wasps that don't sting are dirtdobbers.  They come in shiny blue/black or red w/black tails that do look like stinging wasps.  Dirt dobbers make mud nests and catch spiders and ants and other insects to poke up into those nests for their babies to eat when they hatch.  The black ones like to live in the house with you.

I don't kill spiders.  They eat bugs.  I pick them up with a broom or stick if I have to and take them outside...they are also good for telling one what the weather will be like.  I love to watch and feed those giant garden spiders...they make terrific hands off pets.

Daddy longlegs is not a spider and are among the most poisonous creatures in the universe, however, they cannot bite people and they drown in a small puddle of water.  They eat bugs.

Rats are terrible and smart.  If they cannot find food in your house, they will sneak in while you sleep and eat tiny pieces of skin off of your exposed arms and legs.  They have been known to eat the fingers and toes off young babies.  yyyaaackk!   Beatng them to death isn't
    an over reaction!

But of all these horrors, there is only one animal in the world that makes me so fearful that I would burn the house down...and the Hopi Indians agree with me. A mouse is the most dangerous animal in the world, on a social scale.  It carries diseases that can transmutate into human diseases.  If you have rats...get cats and dachshunds.  If you have mice..by all means, burn your house and your clothes and anything it might have touched.....

I know, I know, not funny.....=o(

Um, that whole rat thing is gross!!  I knew there was a good reason for me to dislike them.

Love lizards, hate wasps/hornets/bees.  Have never seen a scorpion or a rattlesnake, and hopefully never will.

44. KateWest profile image65
    KateWestposted 15 years ago

I hate the way crickets jump TOWARD you - anyone know why they do that or did I miss that in a thread somewhere?

45. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 15 years ago

I dedicate THIS HUB to you Dottie smile

SunSeven:

I am sincerely grateful and wish you a major traffic jam over there!!!

Kind Regards,
      Dottie

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)