Dealing with unemployment

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)
  1. brimancandy profile image77
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

I live in Michigan, and, I have been unemployed for over a year now. Dealing with the unemployment agency is not a good thing.
    I will probably write a hub about it.

One thing everyone should know, is that you getting unemployment is not as easy as just having a job. I worked full time for over 15 years, and my unemployment was denied by the state, over a few minutes of late breaks.

If you are currently working, keep track of anything that you might consider a danger to losing your job. Being late for work, sick calls, tardiness, anything. You might think that these things are unimportant, but a smart employer will use them against you, and claim misconduct against you even though you may have done nothing wrong. If you have a union, if you have not dealt with them, do it. Any documentation you have in your favor will help you greatly.

Also, be prepared to wait long periods of time before you hear anything from them. They will lie right to your face, and tell you they did steps in your favor, only to find out that they haven't done a thing.

keep track of your dates, and save any papers they send you.
    It seems no agencies that are designed to help workers really do anything for them. I have been to them all.

The ones you think are out to help you, will snub you as you are just a number to them. So be prepared for it.

2. pct52 profile image60
    pct52posted 14 years ago

I think un-employed first step is to cut expenses. Go through the list of monthly payments, and see if you can eliminate some, replace others with substitues that are cheaper.

Join paid survey, they pay by check or Amazon gift cards, one good one: http://bit.ly/aeVPIs

3. Chaotic Chica profile image60
    Chaotic Chicaposted 14 years ago

I got laid off on Christmas Eve 2008 and finally got unemployment in March 2009. No matter my credentials or refferences, I could not find work for a year.  Seeing my frustration and impending depression, my husband decided to reopen the business he had up north and have me as retail manager. He trusted me and my experience and knew it was killing me to rely on the unemployment that was about to run out for good ( I had two extentions).  So he made me a job.  I still don't get pain, hopefully that will come by spring when more customers need our products.  The point is that unemployment is hurting financially and they are going to do everything they can to deny or delay your claim. Do your due diligence, keep records, and keep trying.

4. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

It's terrible that they are making unemployment hard to get.  You already paid into that.  If the Obama gov't wants all of us to go to the gov't for help, they should't make people wait to get the help when they need it.

5. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

It may be worth it to hire an attorney, depending on the situation of course.

I quit my job last year due to discriminatory and retaliatory conduct by my employer and was denied unemployment benefits.  I hired an attorney and filed an appeal (haven't had the hearing yet) and will be filing charges against my employer.

6. brimancandy profile image77
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

I did talk to an attourny on my case, and he seemed to think I was wasting my time. I think the reason he doesn't want to take my case, is because I am up against a major corporation, and, he probably figures I have no chance of winning.

I did receive my first 36 weeks of unemployment, but that ended back in August. They dragged their heels on my appeal, and never sent it to the people who would review it. I finally received the transcripts from my original case about a week ago.
    That hearing was also in August.

They certainly had no problem stopping my benefits cold. I think they should have at least let me keep receiving my checks until my appeal was decided. If you ask me, it's all just a big joke. nobody should have to fight for their benefits ever.

1. lowerabworkout profile image61
      lowerabworkoutposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I really feel for you and what you have been through.  I only hope that things pick up for you.

I hope you can put this horrid episode behind you and start to look to the future with some positivity.

Best wishes.

1. brimancandy profile image77
        brimancandyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thankyou. Being here, and interacting with people makes my day.

7. Glenn S. profile image60
    Glenn S.posted 14 years ago

Jobs are hard to come by that is for sure. I have 20 + years of engineering experience and it's pretty much useless in today’s market. I retired about 6 years ago and went back to college to get my teaching certification. I was a teacher for two years and got sick and had to quit. Now I am looking for work again and I have not found any thing that I qualify for. I am currently working on getting my Microsoft IT certification hoping that that will open some doors. I also hope to get a teaching job again this next fall.  The market will turn around soon and more work will become available. Hang in there, I wish you good luck in finding work.

1. bwh1 profile image39
      bwh1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think with your skills you could find project related jobs over the internet.

Try to find something over Google.

KNOWELDGE is never useless, it just depends on your skills to make them valuable enought for that others pay you for them.

G.

8. bwh1 profile image39
    bwh1posted 14 years ago

Man, it sucks to hear that.

Some 10 years ago I had a good paying job and somehow read about the problems the gov pensions face etc.

Somehow it ticked and I realized that I could NOT rely on the state or anybody else.

It's sad but the truth. You work your butt off but can't rely on what you paid taxes for during all those years.

I changed to take over control off my retirement and employment and if you have a slight chance and the skills to have your own business, then go for it.

If you have a well running business you can deal with all this and let some to your family if you pass away.

Heads up.

G.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)