Second Chances

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (27 posts)
  1. mr. daydream profile image61
    mr. daydreamposted 14 years ago

Overall, do people deserve second chances after making (at best) careless or selfish errors, if not doing completely evil deeds.

1. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As long as they are really willing to change and have seen the errors of their ways, people, for the most part, deserve second chances, third chances, as many chances as they want. People are always going to make mistakes. That's part of being human. It'd be crazy if one mistake meant that a person did not get a chance anymore.

2. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

no.
      But people are capable of giving second chances, undesreved.

3. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

People do not deserve second chances. All mistakes are final.

1. profile image52
        donovantposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What are u perfect or something. I wonder what your response would be if u made a mistake.

2. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I think it's hard to tell in broad terms, each case, and each person, is indivdual.

3. Flightkeeper profile image65
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Okay, what did you do?  Because if you really did do something evil, do the right thing and give yourself up to the police. If it's just careless, selfish stuff, there's a lot of us and you can turn that around.

4. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

Yes.  Depending on the circumstances, of course. 

Such as:  I would not give a second chance to a Sex Offender, but I would give Taco Bell another chance to get my order right.  smile

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You would probably have better luck with the sex offender!

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

5. caravalhophoto profile image60
    caravalhophotoposted 14 years ago

If they learn from their mistakes...absolutely! wink

6. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Maybe, depends, but I usually don't give out second chances. I forgive, but I'm done with you! There's always exceptions though.

7. mr. daydream profile image61
    mr. daydreamposted 14 years ago

I think for the most part, most people deserve at least a second chance if they've acknowledged their mistake and is willing to chance. I know I would want a second chance if I made an honest mistake, making mistakes is just part of being human (No, Flight Keeper, I don't make evil mistakes. I'm not that type of person). But if they keep repeating the same mistake then maybe that's just the type of person they are, and from there all parties involved should probably part ways. Thanks for all your responses... Whasup Rafini!

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile  stopping by for breaks while I work on my story        u?

2. Ohma profile image61
      Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It was only a mistake the first time. After that thay should no better.

8. pddm67 profile image59
    pddm67posted 14 years ago

I try to always give someone a second chance (if they haven't screwed me over royally) but that's all they get - they will never get a third.

9. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

"Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice, shame on me."
    smile

10. Jumpness profile image61
    Jumpnessposted 14 years ago

I also feel like it is a case by case decision. I always feel like if someone did it once, they will do it again.

11. confused barbie profile image59
    confused barbieposted 14 years ago

Its a hard one... If they are willing to change yes. I think we all deserve a second chance nobodys perfect. But if they keep making the same mistake then no. If people dont learn from there mistakes there NOT going to change.

12. jessiejoy profile image61
    jessiejoyposted 14 years ago

I agree that it's often the circumstance and the persons involved that determines whether or not a person gets a second chance or a third etc. I feel that if a person shows remorse and tries to understand from your perspective and works hard at fixing whatever was done that's one thing but if the person has overstepped boundaries and does not understand or cares than of course it's probably best to walk away. We all make mistakes and yet it's about thinking ahead as in, the reactions that might occur to our actions that often determines whether or not a person should be given a second chance or not.

13. Greg Cremia profile image61
    Greg Cremiaposted 14 years ago

Why not. Everybody makes mistakes.

14. samboiam profile image60
    samboiamposted 14 years ago

Everyone should be given the chance to get it right.

1. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Question is how many chances do you give them? Lots of people take full advantage of the good-hearted.

1. samboiam profile image60
        samboiamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We should give them as many chances as we would want people to give us

15. Mikel G Roberts profile image72
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

It depends on the mistake. I believe it is not possible to give a 'Blanket' yes or no answer. It will always be dependent on the circumstances and of the situation.

16. steffsings profile image63
    steffsingsposted 14 years ago

I ditto samboiam's answer. In many instances I'm serving up fiths and sixths.

17. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 14 years ago

A first mistake is forgiven (unless someone is dead or maimed as a result, so to speak).  A second mistake makes me cautious.  A third mistake tells me that there's a pattern there with this person, and I'm better off staying away.

This is an excellent thread, mr. daydream. I hope lots of people put their two cents' worth in.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)