Narrow is the gate

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Am I wrong ? or was Christ speaking of self professing believers when he said wide is the path (that believers walk), but narrow is the gate.
      And many of those on the broad path will say ; Lord Lord I have cast out deamons in thy name..(Paraphrase...been preaching your message my whole life)
       And Christ will say  "I have never known you"

Are we preaching the word of God or are we preaching somebodys new and improved interpretation of the word of God?

This is not an  accusation,  but an important question.
       Are we sure ??

1. Mamelody profile image61
      Mamelodyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do really believe that Christians today really mess up the interpretation of Christ's words...

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not all do that. I would venture to say that most don't though I have no proof of it. You don't hear about the good things people do. You always hear about the bad things. Makes mores drama for TV and newspapers.

2. kess profile image61
      kessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The problem begins with what is considered the "Word of God".

I dare anyone to search the scriptures and see that there is only one true concept which is  "one's personal revelation from the Spirit of God.

Now those who know the "Word of God", are entitled to preach from scripture.

But what is the norm amongst Christians?

The intellectuals who are knowledgeable in "text of scripture"...

instead of...

"The Spirit" from which these writings came are the greatest.

Can you then tell me where and from whom did this standard originated?

Surely not the Christ...

3. M.A.Noble profile image66
      M.A.Nobleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is very specific in that the wide gate is the gate at the end of the wide path as is the narrow gate is at the end of the narrow path and this is telling people of the two directions we have to choose from.  The wide path is the path for those who choose not to walk God's way (which is on the narrow path) .and this path will lead to judgement by Christ, where many will THINK they are on the right road, but find themselves deceived. This road is wide to illustrate that the majority of people on this earth will reject God and Christ and therefore God and Christ will reject them! The narrow road however, is the pathway that leads to eternal life and very few will reach the gates therein!  It is those who are true and faithful to the Almighty and accepted Christ as their saviour, those who have been 'Born anew', who are able to walk this narrow way! The WAY, is the TRUTH and the LIFE = Jesus Christ (Yeshua)
      There are many people who are attending church, praying to God and doing all the things that seem right yet there heart is not sincere, they continue to commit sinful acts, they have not repented, they have not become a new person living by the spirit of God! Yet they beleive they are going to saved and enter into the kingdom.  A 'born again' believer knows they are so! So if anyone is in doubt then the chances are they are not saved.  There are many actors in the world and many who have convinced themselves that they are saved by their deeds of laying on hands, healing the sick etc- but many are working counterfeit miracles- therefore they are deceivers and deceived.  This is why Christ said to 'Test the spirits'!

2. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

well asked Jerami.

always consider the following:

fruit is grown on trees. some good fruit and bad fruit.
    the good fruit feeds many and provides seed for new growth.
    the bad rots and becomes wealth to the soil, nourishment to the soil for the good fruit.

"the wealth of the wicked is stored up for the righteous."
    "you will know them by their fruits."

1. profile image0

Twenty one days our posts crossed. I didn't see your until after I sent mine.

About fruit, the fruit that grows on a tree is for food for others. A tree never grows it's own food. wink

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

actually, that is not entirely true.
        the leaves, the fruit from the tree, fall upon the ground and become new soil, which provides food for the tree and fruit for the many.

rule of seed-time harvest.

ps, How are things? smile

1. profile image0

I underdstand that, but we are given the seeds to plant. We do the planting. When the fruit falls off of us, it is wasted.

Things are going well. Everything went smoothly today.

3. profile image0
    SirDentposted 14 years ago

Many are called, but few are chosen. The narrow Gate is like a tightrope walk. It is very hard to do and one must be trained to do it. Keeping your balance while walking along a steel cable is a very hard task but it isn't impossible to do.

Walking on a four lane road is very easy to do. So easy in fact nearly everyone is doing it. Follwing Christ is not an easy task to do just as walking along a steel cable but somne will do it.

Just thinking on the computer screen here.

4. Jerami profile image59

Thank you both for your your statements. they are both food for thought. The bad fruit falls to the ground and becoms foos for the good fruit. nice thought.
      And sir Dent..  that is also true.. 
      And the sower goes on his way keepin on a soweing and another comes along to nourish the seed (Of thought) and another reaps the harvest.

5. heart4theword profile image61
    heart4thewordposted 14 years ago

There are Christians, I thought were true believers...yet their life at times does not match up to producing good fruit.  I know none of us our perfect, but we are to strive to learn from our mistakes.  Let are days become new and the old to be washed away, for those things that do not reflect Christ like actions.  Who and where, is your true love?  Will we meet our true love through that narrow way?  Do we have to much baggage from this world, we are carrying around?  Something's to think about, how much do we yearn to get to heaven?

6. Jerami profile image59

Mamelody wrote:
    I do really believe that Christians today really mess up the interpretation of Christ's words...

Jerami said 
      There are many good hearted Christians that do many good things. The purity of their heart is not the question.
      I think that anytime that we interpret the word of Christ we are changing it. This is not a good thing. This then leads to self deception. The more interpretation that is done, the more we become decieved.

7. marinealways24 profile image60
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Only prisons have gates. big_smile
    I would rather be free.

Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe the gate leads to the outside and freedom.

1. marinealways24 profile image60
        marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Or maybe it leads to the inside of hell.

I would rather be free and not go through any gate, especially when I don't know where it comes out. lol

We are all prisoners of our fears.
            I aint sceard a no stinkin gate
            There might be a Wall Mart greater on the other side passin out candy.

You spend all this time worshipping God to get to a heavenly walmart? Like I said, I would rather be free.

2. Hokey profile image59
            Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you meant greeter?  roll

Yep; you are rite. I did.   My sp, Ck. is messed up.
              and my IQ is goina ge showing

8. Hokey profile image59
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker.
    Buddha

9. Hokey profile image59
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
    Buddha

10. Jerami profile image59

The problem begins with what is considered the "Word of God".
    "The Spirit" from which these writings came are the greatest.
    I would say that the Spirit of the Word came from God.
    The spirit of God.

Jerami ..  I agrees with your statement.
       I have been intrested in seeing how prophesy has played out. The fulfillment of prophesy bears out the truth of the source of the prophesy.
       So; for man to mess with what the prophesy says;   interfears with the validation of the source.

or something like that

Why do you think a God would be dependent on people to worship him? Does it boost his ego or give him a stiffy when he sees people bow before him?

I think that God wants the same kind of respect that my daddy did when I sat down at his supper table.
           I think that God wants us to be "sceard" of him like my daddy did when I was thinking about taking his car to town after he went to sleep.
           I think that God wants us to respect him like my daddy did when I was talking about him with the neighbors before I came home to sleep in his house.
           Is that what you are talking about worshiping?

So because your dad taught you morals, you worship your dad and God?

I do not understand how you could have came to that kind of interpretation of my statement????

You are making the relation of following God to how you follow your dad. So, why would you not worship your dad if you see him like God? Do you not worship God?

1. Pandoras Box profile image59
                Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it's a fair comparison. The human tendency to obey authority. Of course that doesn't mean it makes sense.

11. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Narrow is the mind.

we don't know the half of it.

12. insearchof truth profile image84
    insearchof truthposted 14 years ago

Perhaps Marinealways24 has some other issue not related to this topic...

I think that this is a prime example of people interpretating simply and clear messages to mean something that was not spoken.
         I never understood how the parables spoken by Jesus could posabilly hide the moral of his story. I am starting to understand how that worked.

1. insearchof truth profile image84
        insearchof truthposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"ever hearing, but never understanding, be ever seeing, but never perceiving"

I think Marine is OK in his own way. sometimes he just wants to stur the pot. wants to know what is under the surface.

Thanks. I will give you credit on this one. Why would you smoke the pot without stirring it first? lol

2. marinealways24 profile image60

"insearchof truthposted 9 hours ago
      Perhaps Marinealways24 has some other issue not related to this topic..."

Perhaps I see though the BS like many others and am not content with half explanations and defenses of something that isn't dependent on you or wouldn't be in the first place.

13. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

marinealways24 wrote:
        Why do you think a God would be dependent on people to worship him? Does it boost his ego or give him a stiffy when he sees people bow before him?

Fair questions for an omnipotent entity. smile

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why do you want your kids to love you for who you are rather than what you give them? Why do you want your kids to trust you and respect you?

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My human pride perhaps?
        I have never needed them to bow when I enter the room and seldom threaten them with sudden death if they disobey me. In fact I look to myself if I am not respected. smile

14. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 14 years ago

I agree with you Jerami. When people don't understand what Jesus said, or don't want to because they don't like what He said, they will often either ignore it, or make up their own theology and doctrine.

We have the same problem though when people try to interpret His parables as literal stories rather than seeing the spiritual message behind them.

He only ever spoke in parables to the crowds and if we accept the whole word s His, then we must conclude that most of the bible is a parable of some kind that has a layer of deeper spiritual truth underneath. I think narrow is the way to finding these.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)