What would you do if you get a million bucks today?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (43 posts)
  1. jacobkuttyta profile image45
    jacobkuttytaposted 14 years ago

What would you do if you get a million bucks today?

I would like to know what you would do with that tax free money

1. shabarigirish profile image61
      shabarigirishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Jacob give me your account number!!! i'll put half of it. big_smile

1. jacobkuttyta profile image45
        jacobkuttytaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'ii mail it to you... lol

2. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would spend hundreds of thousands on a world tour boozing, dancing, womanising and everythingelsising, round all the best places I haven't been yet - then just waste the rest.

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

YES !!!
        but instead of womanizing, I'll be manazing ! lol

3. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
      Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Would've been great if it was something more than a million bucks. 10 million if not a billion? tongue

4. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

why is it tax free?

5. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

give a 100k to my mom, dad, and brother.  then keep the rest as i would just put most of it into my savings like roth iras, stocks,  bonds, cds, and stuff mostly.  not saying I wouldn't splurge a little bit as I would set aside 4000 dollars to buy every video game and movie I ever wanted.  then I'd travel the world for about a year. that be what i'd do at least.

6. profile image0
      WildIrisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Finish my house.  Like the cobbler's children who go without shoes, the contractor's wife lives in an unfinished house.

Get my pianos tuned...Buy a new fire truck for my local VFD...Help my family and less fortunate neighbors and friends...Support my local radio stations.... Travel...Throw some good parties and invite everyone I know and all their friends too...Spend it as quickly as I can.

2. Dale Nelson profile image38
    Dale Nelsonposted 14 years ago

Definitely buy a piece of land near the ocean and slowly build that dream house

3. pooja0908 profile image59
    pooja0908posted 14 years ago

i gonna die in happiness

4. Ms Chievous profile image67
    Ms Chievousposted 14 years ago

I would do everything! smile  First I would travel, then I would purchase a large home and some land and go crazy buying extravangant things.  Then later I would give back to places I have worked in the past ( troubled teens, mentally ill)  I have always wanted to start my own organization dedicated to finding missing children

5. profile image0
    Lecieposted 14 years ago

i would make sure my family would never want for anything again. i don't care if there's not enough left for me. the most important thing in my life is my family. my 4 sisters, their kids and my parents. they would all be taken care of. even if i have to go out on the street and beg. the money would go to them first.

6. isinson profile image60
    isinsonposted 14 years ago

put half of the money in my bank account then the other half i'll spend it wisely ^^ buy land where i can build my dream house, buy a 2 brand new cars, go on a cruise, go shopping and travel to other countries (with my family of course)

7. Sab Oh profile image56
    Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

Put it in a trust for my son. Get back to work.

1. chigoiyke profile image59
      chigoiykeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you really love your son for a million bucks?? All that??/ Sorry am a man. lol

8. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

Share it with fellow Hubbers smile

1. chigoiyke profile image59
      chigoiykeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

stop playing lol

9. Missi Darnell profile image60
    Missi Darnellposted 14 years ago

Breathe a big sigh of relief!

10. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

Double check it isn't counterfeit!!

11. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Like - right now?

Put enough to one side to buy a small, 2 bed home - not bothered what type - outright. $50k into savings. $150k each to my children. Give the rest to my sister, dad and a couple of close friends.

And I'd buy another Bengal cat.

12. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 14 years ago

I already know what I would do because I've already done it.

My late husband left me with a fortune when he passed away.  I gave lots of it to charity because my first reaction was guilt at having it, since I felt I did nothing to earn it but marry a man who was already wealthy.

I did use some of it to finance my business and now I have trust funds for my daughters.

You always think that if you get a lot of money all your dreams will come true and that you will do all these wild things with it, but the reality is always different.

13. Rod Macbeth profile image60
    Rod Macbethposted 14 years ago

I'd invest it and live off of the interest...or try to.

14. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

Not much actually, couldn't even buy the house for sale at the end of my street! A million just aint worth as much as it used to. I think I would prefer a smaller amount like say 1,500 a month for the rest of my life smile.

I tell you what I would NOT do, quit my job or buy a house! I probably  would look into bonds and find a good one to put all the money into, ideally an income bond to give me that passive income on a monthly basis. I actually think that writing here on HP whenever I can would be better for my life (long term view) then a one time lump sum of a million. In time my portfolio of money making hubs will increase to a point where hub income could be a very viable foundation for a passive income.

15. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

Buy a little house near the sea, do a lot of travelling, save some and treat family and friends!

16. GoGranny profile image60
    GoGrannyposted 14 years ago

A Million Dollars!
    I would get my sister the best medical care I could find! I would pay off my house and all bills, quit my job and go full time with my business, buy my ex-inlaw's property and help put two houses there for their grandchildren's families, buy a tiny beach home for my retirement........oh geez! I am out of money!

1. kirstenblog profile image77
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The medical care alone could wipe most of the money out but hey what better way to spend a million?

17. indiaforums profile image60
    indiaforumsposted 14 years ago

I will give all money to my parents

18. profile image0
    stay_home_mommy3posted 14 years ago

I would pay off our debt, my parents debt and my inlaws debt, by a house for cash.  I'd keep the rest in the bank until my husband gets a job (currently, we are unemployed, and not recieving unemployment) Then I would probably give the rest away.  Sounds like I'm trying to be "uppity", I know, but I'm truly not.  There are a lot of people I know that are really down in the dumps and could just use a hand up.  And after living the last couple of months with NO income, I know how they feel and I'd like to help them not feel that way.

So, anyone have extra cash around?

1. profile image0
      stay_home_mommy3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

sorry, it's supposed to be "buy a house" smile

19. srwnson profile image60
    srwnsonposted 14 years ago

Buy more Jellybeans.

20. brimancandy profile image80
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

If I had a Million dollars, I would buy myself a decent house, and a new car, and live off the rest. I would probably go on a cruise, and spend a couple weeks in Vegas. Maybe visit California and take a trip to Europe.

I would also give portions of the money to my family. I would also put my moms place up for rent or sale, and move her into a nice apartment, or Condo. prefer someplace near a hospital where she can get Decent care.

21. Mutiny92 profile image65
    Mutiny92posted 14 years ago

Join a micro-brew of the month club. I would just keep working, but it's nice to know I would have a buffer.

22. profile image0
    dronconposted 14 years ago

i would finally build that chocolate house in switzerland that i always dreamed of.

23. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

burn it!   

Just kidding. Buy a house for homeless kids.

I will be at your side with a bucket full of water big_smile

1. Hokey profile image60
        Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

any more pictures yet? wink

they're worth a million  dollars  big_smile

2. Hokey profile image60
        Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wet t-shirt contest?

24. profile image0
    isis_dreams2002posted 14 years ago

I would own a house not a big one just medium size mabe a new car and leave the rest in  bank

25. profile image0
    LegendaryHeroposted 14 years ago

I'd put it all in savings and investments.

26. chigoiyke profile image59
    chigoiykeposted 14 years ago

I'd first take care of my momma real pretty, make some savings and investments, the ball, ball and ball. I gotta celebrate having the stacks.
    just playing though

27. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

I would buy the house I've been dreaming about since I was about 8 years old. It is currently up for sale for $165,000. It's a beautiful house with a big back yard and a big kitchen.

I'd set aside about $10,000 to start my own business.

I'd buy a Buick Park Avenue.

I would go to the animal shelter and rescue 2 dogs and 3 cats.

I'd use some of it to make the upstairs into an apartment for a homeless family. They could live there for free.

I'd pay my grandparents back for the year they took care of me after I came back.

I'd put the rest in savings smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)