Add keyword statistics to a hub's stats section.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)
  1. MyWebs profile image79
    MyWebsposted 14 years ago

It would be very useful to those of us who work hard to rank well for keywords to be able to see exactly which keywords are working on a daily, weekly, monthly and overall basis.

A simple listing of keywords and the number of hits for each keyword phrase would be awesome! I can even supply some basic PHP code for extracting the keywords for Google and Yahoo from the referring URL if its needed. I don't think I have code for Bing yet, but I'm sure keywords from them can't be too hard to extract.

If this data was also broken down by the 3 major search engines as well that would really be awesome.

Please add this to hubpages. It would be a great help to see on the same day which keywords are working. Sometimes by the time these stats show up in Google Analytics your ranking and other factors have already changed as these things are very dynamic, at least on Google it is.

I'm sure many other hubbers who don't know as much about SEO would learn a lot from this basic information and it would help them to tweak their hubs to perform better on the search engines.

If others like this idea then please let hubpages know!

2. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 14 years ago

I see keywords on the Squidoo stats pages.  I can't imagine it would be too hard to do that here too.

MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes it is rather easy for anyone who knows a bit of PHP. I'm quite sure that HubPages's PHP programmers could easily do this. It would not use that much more resources either really to track the additional data.

A few lines of code and add a new table to the database and we have more useful information for each hub.

3. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Analytics provides so much better keyword information, I don't think it would be worth HubPages' time to reinvent that "wheel."

The biggest problem with GA is that it is rather slow to feed you this information. I don't think this would be reinventing any wheels as it is rather basic info.

I tend to think many users who are not so tech savvy would find GA a bit hard to use and confusing with all of its options. I feel this would be good for the many users here who don't even use GA at all. This basic data would be very useful to them.

GA is not so easy to quickly browse around to get keyword data, especially if you wanted to see keywords stats over a day, week, month or a grand total. Besides GA's keyword data is not very accurate at all! I know we all see other hubs keywords in our GA data.

I have a custom tool on my own web sites so I can see in 'Real Time', think Ajax application, to the second from which web page a user came from and which keywords they used, if any to find me. It is a big help to see what is working to better focus your efforts there. I can see how this could easily pay for whatever expenses it would incur from users better optimizing their hubs towards what is working already.

This is really easy to program too. If I am offering up code you know it must be easy. smile

2. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In that case why we have hubstats to begin with ? Let's just remove that as well if adding something like this is reinventing the wheel and so let's keep Google analytics field only(like snipsly).Besides i have to disagree with point that analytics gives better keyword information cause i have top keyword "haunty" in GA stats, how keyword haunty is related to my hubs ? GA is good for finding out traffic sources, top content.

@Mywebs, nice suggestion.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you also the user 'Haunty' then?

If so seems perfectly legit to me. The word 'Haunty' gets 1300 searches per month according to the keyword tool.... the hubber 'Haunty' is 5th on the list...

I suspect that they are searching for this sort of Haunty:

"A member of the female species who will do anything to get into the passenger seat of a nice looking car."

1. skyfire profile image80

Lol, No i'm not haunty and there is no mention of haunty in any of my hubs still it's there in the keyword list. big_smile

Check this February keyword log:

http://img638.yfrog.com/img638/5238/febtopkeywords.png

1. Peter Hoggan profile image68
            Peter Hogganposted 14 years agoin reply to this

'Free online seo training course' is one term that I have optimized for, bottom of page 1 on Google and rising. It’s good to see how related Hubbers benefit from others who are actively chasing rankings. I know that I benefit from others in the same way.

1. skyfire profile image80

Any idea about unrelated keywords ? I mean "tattoo", "Mississippi agates" etc etc.

Same thing really, someone has parachuted into HubPages via the keyword 'Mississippi agates'. From there they have navigated to one of your hubs somehow, could be through a comment you have left on a forum post or a hub or could be via a related Hub.

The path could be even longer, through a related hub of a related hub for example. However your Google Analytics will record HubPages as the referrer and 'Mississippi agates' as the keyword.

Although the referrer changed as the user moved away from their initial landing page the referrer string (keyword) has not. That’s why you see unrelated keywords.

4. Jackson Riddle profile image49
    Jackson Riddleposted 14 years ago

Good Idea.

Need to "Thumb Up" this thread

5. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 14 years ago

Great idea, but rather than use a page tagging system like GA it would cool if the data was mined from server logs so that we can access more accurate info.

The $_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"] Superglobals variable is the same data a server log would be using on a LAMP setup I'm pretty sure. So why dig through and scrape massive server logs later when you could save the same data on each page load instead?

HP surely is already touching a database table, or 10, anyways on each page load.

I have 9 lines of PHP code that works at a very basic level including the DB connection, table select and insert. Add a couple of IF's to ignore empty referer vars and internal hits and the code is pretty complete for tracking one search engine.

6. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 14 years ago

There are many reasons to use logs, for example when using page tagging pages that are revisited and are still in the browser cache will be delivered from cache therefore the script won’t be triggered and no visit will be recorded even if the keywords used are different from the original query.Also slow loading pages that are abandoned before the page is fully downloaded will not be registered (not everyone has ultra fast connections). You would also see bot activity and 404 errors which page tagging cannot report. It does have some short falls but having access to both sets of data would provide a more complete picture.

What exactly do you mean by "page tagging"? Client side JavaScript or PHP code included on each PHP page/hub?

Yes, client side script or code added to each page.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)