Collateral Murder

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (230 posts)
  1. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 14 years ago

Has anyone seen this?
    And if so...what do you think?
    WARNING:
    This video is graphic and could be very disturbing to some.
    It disturbed the hell outta me.

<link snipped, please do not post graphic material>

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And you're disturb ?

That's nothing, only a fraction of all the nasty things your Country does in this Countries. Beginning wars making up proofs of terrorism to attack them. Like the fake underground missiles in Irak.
      And the Gulf War
      And Afghanistan
      And what  about Bin Laden, Bush's friend ?

and lets not talk about Nam or Korea.
      And the Pearl Harbour 'scenario'
      And I won't say anything about 9/11 out of respect of all the people that died for someone's greed for power

You should Google more and learn!

I would laugh if it wasn't so pathetic and sad !

I'm out of here! Nothing pisses me off so much as these kind of things !

1. Sab Oh profile image56
        Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The conspiracy tree never seems to run out of nuts.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
          Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you think is a fake film, TK? Do you not believe there were many innocent people killed because of this stupid war?

I wasn't talking about the 'film.' And innocent people die in every war, do they not? One of the chief reasons war is so terrible.

Especially unnecessary war!  So what was the "conspiracy tree nuts" comment about?

Try to follow the discussion

Try to answer a question!

Ask a direct, serious question then

2. William R. Wilson profile image61
          William R. Wilsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

TK never runs out of a**holery.

2. Ohma profile image59
        Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tantrum
        There are many things you can spout off about until your heart is content and you will never hear a thing from be about it however you obviously have no idea what you are talking about in regards to any of these things so I would respectfully request that the next time you think about spouting off about the American Military and its involvement in the world you should first get educated on the facts.

1. profile image0
          PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, Ohma, but Tantrum is not far off the mark.  One can still respect and honor the men and women in our military and also recognize that they have been used by our government in ways that are simply wrong.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

I think we should tar and feather the idiot who started this war and send him to Iraq.  Those responsible for putting the idiot in office deserve to take some responsibility too.  But they won't.

1. profile image0

Yeah, isn't it amazing how many conservatives now say they didn't vote for Bush?  Who did?

I was just quoting Ohma from another thread referencing how she suggested Obama be treated.  There is much more footage to be seen regarding these types of incidents.  Remember how the football hero was elevated to hero status after being killed by his own troops?

And for what?  We spent money destroying Iraq, then we paid Cheney's company 50 times to much to build it back.  Who ended up smelling like a rose?

1. William R. Wilson profile image61

You hit it right there.  Profiteering.

2. Sab Oh profile image56

"I think we should tar and feather the idiot who started this war and send him to Iraq. "

So much easier to be a little insignificant thing that is never faced with such difficult decisions, eh?

3. William R. Wilson profile image61

I think it could be stated more respectfully than Tantrum did, but she speaks truth.  The Vietnam war killed millions, and the escalation was sparked by a falsified incident (Gulf of Tonkin). 

And our involvement in Central America has been downright shameful.

1. profile image0
            sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What do you stand for? It must be great whatever it is to be better than America!

4. tantrum profile image60

It amazes me how ignorant you are of the facts of these Wars. I respectfully say to you: Educate yourself in the facts !

Unbelievable, really !

1. Ohma profile image59

Tantrum if one wishes to see conspiracy they will see it.

This is not conspiracy. These are facts ! You've seen the video, don't you ?. You're so blind !

1. Ohma profile image59

I saw armed people, I saw a man with an RPG kneel down at the corner of the building and attempt to aim at the chopper and I saw morons bring children into a battle zone.

So they are morons. And I suppose you think that's why they are dead !

I totally lost all respect for you !

3. sabrebIade profile image80
        sabrebIadeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tantrum:
        I'm just guessing that you have never seen my Conspiracy blog?
        I spend probably too much time researching this kind of thing.

What disturbed me the most was the soldiers...OUR military laughing and joking as they took lives.

And opening fire on unarmed civilains that were trying to pick up survivors.

They were treating the whole thing like some big video game.

1. profile image0
          LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Unarmed insurgents aiding the enemy.

So all Iraqis are our enemies?
            Well then, let's just take off and nuke 'em from orbit.
            It's the only way to be sure.

1. profile image0

Did I say that? If you are aiding the enemy then you are an enemy. Do you think that civilians would just drive right over to where a gun battle just ended and start picking up wounded insurgents?

The "enemy" they were aiding was a Reuters journalist.

1. Ohma profile image59

Who was hanging out with armed insurgents.

If they were enemy combatants they would have been hiding from the chopper, not standing around waiting to be shot at.  We gave a license to murder civilians, and they did.  They thought it was funny to shoot a wounded unarmed man.  It isn't as if the chopper was a silent onlooker, they knew it was there and didn't try to hide.  Murder on a video game. 

Imagine if our civilians were shot while attempting to aid other wounded citizens.  Murdered while trying to crawl away, it happened more than you think!

1. profile image0

How do we know that they even thought the chopper saw them? Or was even looking for them?

3. profile image0

Journalists in Iraq are required to wear special jackets with big wording that let soldiers know that they are journalists.

2. profile image0

I saw this earlier on ATS, I still don't know what to think of it.

3. JOE BARNETT profile image60
      JOE BARNETTposted 14 years agoin reply to this

now you know what war is huh! when you see guys here having problems later in life . often times it's because their head clears and they realize what has happened. war is sad!!!!!!

1. rhamson profile image70
        rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is what happens when you have a mop up policing action run with military tactics.  Who can blame the military for doing its job?

The US does not belong there and will not correct anything until it leaves.  Just ask the locals.

Using the military to police the country is like usning a hammer to catch a fly.  Wrong tool for the job.  This has always been a political question being answered with a military solution.

1. profile image0

If the US leaves then things will be even worse than when we invaded.

Worse for who?  If you think we are solving the situation with our presence you are sadly mistaken. 

Just look at the recent events in Iraq where there is more violence harkening back times of 2005.  They can't run an election because it is not a system that they developed.  There is a religious cultural element that that has not been included and we refuse to acknowledge.  Let them figure it out for themselves.

If you consider Afghanistan and our placement of Karzai as the interim leader who seemingly stole an election, you begin to understand the distrust of the locals towards the US who have in the past been known to use Afghanistan as merely a puppet with their war with Russia.  Recentlt Karzai has made rumblings of going it alone and joining forces with the Taliban.  Some progress huh?

We need to just leave and monitor developments from a distance and when terrorism is suspected to be mounting an attack we need to be swift and strong with our response.

By the way letting Israel fend for itself can't hurt our credibility either.

1. profile image0

Worse for the Iraqis. There will be civil war without us. Shia vs. Sunni.

Turkey seems to do just fine and its Muslim.

Isn't that what we did in the first place? How do you propose we do this? It's not practical.

Yes it will. If the enemies of Israel see that we stopped supporting them what do you think they will do? Just sit there and go "Oh that's nice."? No. Israel and its enemies will let loose the dogs of war most likely resulting in Israel using its nuclear weapons.

And who do you think will get blamed for that? The US for stopping its support of Israel.

Worse for the Iraqis. There will be civil war without us. Shia vs. Sunni.

Maybe it will be worse for the Iraqis in the short term which we brought on but they will find their own government if left to their own way.  There already has been and it is ongoing.  The bombings have never stopped and the religious rhetoric will not cease because we want them too.  They want a theocracy based government and we keep sticking our nose in the way.

Turkey seems to do just fine and its Muslim.

You fail to distinguish the difference between religious and cultural preferences when you make a statement like that.  Its' kind of like saying that there is no reason why the Irish protestants and Catholics should war with each other for the many years that they did.  After all they were all Christians, right?

Isn't that what we did in the first place? How do you propose we do this? It's not practical.

Not sure what you mean "Isn't that what we did in the first place?"  To monitor the terrorists and their activities is not that difficult as they are always seeking out contacts and networking outside the country and we watch this like a hawk.  While it is true it is far easier to watch them up close and through restricting their activities in country, they still move around outside the country such as Pakistan to do and carry out their dirt.

Yes it will. If the enemies of Israel see that we stopped supporting them what do you think they will do? Just sit there and go "Oh that's nice."? No. Israel and its enemies will let loose the dogs of war most likely resulting in Israel using its nuclear weapons.

I think it depends what Israel will do that is of more importance.  They will be forced to come to the peace process with some conviction and may have to make a few concessions they clearly do not wish to do with "Big Brother" watching their back.  Many have said that Israel can take care of itself just fine.  I think we should butt out and let "Them" settle it.  If Israel chooses to use its' nuclear weapons then they will have to deal with the fallout figuratively and quite literally.

And who do you think will get blamed for that? The US for stopping its support of Israel.

Blamed for their choices in reaction to their own problems.  Really?  That is like blaming one for anothers choice to commit murder because they had no choice.  Where does the responsibility lie in that scenario?

2. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

I am not going to respond to this sabre and yes I watched the whole thing. I am interested in other's opinions so i will bump it back up.

3. William R. Wilson profile image61
    William R. Wilsonposted 14 years ago

This is the reality of war.  GW Bush didn't only kill nearly 6000 young American men, but somewhere between 100,000 - 1 million innocent Iraqis have also died. 

How 'bout that?

Yet Bush is regarded as a hero for starting this war - while Obama is somehow a dictator because he passed a healthcare reform bill? 

Yeah.

1. Padrino profile image61
      Padrinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bush didn't kill anybody! Do you have some knowledge of his murdering someone that the rest of us haven't heard about? If so could you please present the evidence?

The only politician I know of that killed someone and got away with it was Ted Kennedy.

Go away.

What I thought, just typing to see your words in print, think I'll stay!

4. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Korea, Vietnam, and the Gulf war were police actions done at the behest of the United Nations. Afghanistan and Iraq are in response to Americans Being attacked on American soil. Has everyone forgotten 911.
    Please!
    My Husband Is a disabled veteran. He was injured during the Vietnam conflict and I know why he was there.
    As far as Afghanistan and Iraq if they would quit supporting and hiding the terrorist that attacked our private citizens we would leave them alone. Lets not forget we were attacked not the other way around.
    As far as the video the people responsible for the death of those children are the morons that brought them into a battle zone.
    Why is it that all you military hating people not understand these are the people that protect and provide the freedom you enjoy so much.

I have no disrespect for the men who serve. 

My problem is with those who put them into these situations.

I come from a long line of veterans - I tried to sign up after 9/11 but couldn't get in due to health reasons. 

Criticizing the actions of the military is not the same as criticizing the men and women in the military - they are just doing a very dangerous job.

2. profile image0

To acknowledge that the U.S. military has been dishonestly used by our government to further their ends for purposes not explicitly stated is not equivalent to hating the military. It is wrong for you to accuse those who recognize that of hating the military.  Everything is not black and white.

1. Ohma profile image59

So what is next we treat the soldiers coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan the same way the thoughtless and ungrateful idiots treated returning Vietnam Vets.
        Really a great incentive for people to want to stand up and defend this country.

1. profile image0

Of course not.  No one has suggested that.  Why would you?

3. profile image0

Including the freedom to criticism as they wish.

4. Randy Godwin profile image61

Iraq did not do 911, Ohma.  I'm sorry your husband was injured, but that war was crazy too.  We just proved we learned nothing from that stupid war.  No WMDs, the oil did not pay for the war unless you mean we paid for it by higher gas prices to, guess who? 

You are the one who needs history lessons, Ohma!

5. tantrum profile image60

All this statements only shows how ignorant you are of the facts.
      Begining from 9/11 to believing children where taken to that place in the video by 'morons'! How can you be so disrespectful ?

1. Ohma profile image59

There is no disrespect here would you have taken your child into that area?

1. Ohma profile image59

Tantrum why did you bypass this post?
          I am truly sorry that those kids died but it is a fact that adults they trusted put them in danger. I do not care who was shooting who my kids will not be anywhere near it and I suspect that you would be the same.

I didn't bypassed it.
            You said those people were morons. And that is so rude, I can't believe a  sensible human being could say that!

I don't have anything to say to you.

Anything that I could say, would be too rude.
            And even you don't believe it, I have an education.

1. Ohma profile image59

This is truly laughable coming from the person who posts so many rude comments to anyone that thinks differently than she does.
              And by the way since you are talking about disrespect when have you ever shown respect for anyone?

I show respect all the time. To those who deserve it.
                And I have never called dead people, morons

1. Ohma profile image59

With as much respect as I can manage at the moment lol lol lol lol lol

I can't care less what you say.
                    It seems you don't have any respect for dead people.

And as I have said, I lost all respect for you.

So go ahead. And say whatever. You're the one that is displaying disrespect. Not me.

Do you remember the wedding party where so many people, including the bride, was killed by an drone?  It's like a video game except these are real innocent people being murdered by a super power for their oil.  Tantrum is correct, you probably get your "truth" from Fox News because it sure isn't from reality and factual sources.

1. Ohma profile image59

I had not heard about that and as a matter of fact the only news I watch is NBC.
              There is a large difference between a wedding party and a court yard that had just been blown to pieces by opposing forces. Those kids should not have been any where near there.

Can you say this for the other thousands of children murdered and burned?  Where were they to go?  This city was their home.  When did we start killing wounded civilians who are merely trying to crawl away or trying help others who have been seriously injured.  Damn this makes me proud to be an American.

5. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Because every time someone says our military shouldn't be here or there that is exactly what they said during Vietnam.

1. profile image0

That was a long time ago, and people have learned to separate the actions of our people in the military from the actions of our government.  And let me just say that healing cannot begin until the truth, the whole truth, is acknowledged.  That includes the bad as well as the good.

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hate to say it PrettyPanther but no people have not learned to separate the actions of the people in the military from the actions of our government...do you not hear about the stupid jerks who go to military funerals with signs saying things like "God Hates you"? it is still going on

1. profile image0

Okay, but you have to admit that it is not widespread like it was during the 60s.  Would you rather the truth be covered up?  Our soldiers are human and they make mistakes, but our government shouldn't send them into unnecessary wars, either.

1. Ohma profile image59

This is the only history Americans should be thinking about when it comes to "Unnecessary Wars" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDh_pvv1tUM

2. profile image0

I'm afraid to say it but 9/11 did happen...people attacked the US and want the US people dead...that is not a threat that many take lightly. And the military men and women know why they are there and they proudly fight for us, giving up their lives in order to keep us safe from any more attacks.

1. Ohma profile image59

Thank-You Crazd, I am not military but many of my family are and right now I have 2 nephews in Iraq. We (my family) appreciate your support of Our American Troops.

2. profile image0

Yes, it happened.  I don't take it lightly, either.

Does it bother you at all that Osama bin Laden is still alive and free while hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, who had nothing to do with 9/11, are dead?

1. Ohma profile image59

Have you forgotten that Saddam Hussein supported Bin Laden or that many of his terrorists were housed and trained in Iraq?

1. profile image0

Well, we obviously don't agree on the facts.  Without agreement on the facts, there can be no productive discussion.  I'll just leave it at that.

Please remember that accusing people who don't believe our government's stated motivations are always true, or who acknowledge that our military men and women are human and make mistakes, of hating the military, is simply wrong.  Just like you, I have loved ones who have served and are serving now.  Some of them have served so high up that they actually know the true motives of our government, and they are not what you may think.  So, please refrain from accusing people who disagree with you of hating the military.  It is a cheap and easy way out of a difficult discussion and I will call you on it every time, as I have called others on it.

2. profile image0

Yes it does bother me actually...I hope that they do find him

I want the war to end just as much as the next guy. I want those who are suffering HERE the families and the friends of the military to stop suffering from the strain of being in a long distance relationship/marriage. I know first hand how much it hurts and I want that hurt to go away. I want the death and killing to go away. but us bickering and arguing isn't going to end the war. blaming the president isn't going to stop it any faster. So why fight? there is no point! All we can do is hope together that the killing and the war ends soon and that the military men and women return safely to their loved ones.

1. profile image0

100% agree with you.

1. profile image0

Sorry Sabe gonna hijack just for a minute. PrettyPanther who is that CUTE kitty that is in your picture?

3. Randy Godwin profile image61

Yes, 911 happened, but we attacked the wrong country because of lies told about Iraq by the Bush administration.  We were also involved in Viet Nam long before it was made a military crusade.

As long as people make excuses for murder and greed nothing will change.  There will always be those who will excuse any military atrocity no matter how terrible it is.  They consider this patriotism, but it's not!

2. profile image0

The Westboro Baptist Church. I hate those people, you know they're planning on coming to Virginia Tech on Friday to protest that the April 16th shootings were God's will?

If anybody deserves to burn in Hell for all eternity its them.

1. profile image0

And virginia Tech is allowing them? I know freedom aof speech and all but still the Admin can still put their foot down. It's going to get nasty there... hmm sad I hope you'll be safe LH!

1. profile image0

I think that they are actually protesting just off campus. There's supposed to be an organized student counter-protest going on, though I don't know if they are going to be doing it by the WBC or not.

Thanks smile, but I'll fine, I'm just going to try avoid the whole protest thing.

1. profile image0

Well if you hear any fights break out LH RUN THE OTHER WAY AND RUN FAST big_smile

1. profile image0

Oh definitely big_smile

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And they were right.

6. sabrebIade profile image80

Did you watch the video?
    Those guys were strolling around in plain sight while an Apache was circling them.
    If they were insurgents...wouldn't they have maybe..oh I dont know...opened fire?
    Or took cover?
    SOMETHING aggressive?

1. profile image0

Didn't you see the RPG and them taking cover in the video?

No...I saw a camera man with a telephoto lenses kneeling down.
        And no analysis that I have seen of that video included anything about anyone aiming anything at the copter.

1. profile image0

That's what you saw. Now imagine trying to see that on a six inch screen inside of a hot helicopter where you are stressed because you could be fired upon at any moment.

2. Ohma profile image59

How aggressive where the people in The World Trade Center?

You mean the ones the guys from Saudi Arabia blew up?
        All the hijackers were from Saudi  Arabia, with the exception of Fayez Banihammad, who was from the United Arab Emirates.
        Why aren't we kicking the crap out of the Saudis?

1. Ohma profile image59

There were a total of 2,995 deaths, including the 19 hijackers and 2,976 victims on 9-11.
            We have killed over 100,000 Iraqis so far.
            Even by the strictest eye for an eye Biblical codes...arent we about even now?

1. Ohma profile image59

We will be even when Bin Laden is confirmed dead and anyone who has aided his war on Americans along with him. We are not the bad guys here they attacked us.

I have no problem with them capping Bin Laden.
                I just think that like Jessie Ventura said, grab a SEAL team, send em in and have them take him out.
                I have no doubt a special forces team with free reign could find and terminate him with extreme prejudice.

That is too easy and simple a thing to say.

7. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

PP I am not looking for a cheap and easy way out of anything. I see a black kettle and I call it black plain and simple. I know that it is not politically correct to remind people that we are in this war for a reason and since there is no draft in place every man and women fighting over there believes they should be there, and that my friend is good enough for me.

And as far as 
    "Some of them have served so high up that they actually know the true motives of our government, and they are not what you may think."
    Any military officer in such a high position who shares military and government information with non-military personnel is.. well I just will not go there.

1. profile image0

No information has been shared, other than motivations are not what they appear to be.  Hardly giving up of secrets.

And, what I was referring to as cheap and easy is the accusation that those who disagree with our government's policies with regard to war hate the military.  Or, those who acknowledge that our military personnel sometimes screw up hate the military.  Stop saying that, because it's not true and it's insulting to a lot of good people, INCLUDING some who are in the military.

8. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

When you fight satanist a child is just a tool. Any one here that believes Americans are bloodthirsty baby killers is not worth talking to. When you're ready to strap it on for the people of another country and your own and your opponents don't wear uniforms(forget the geneva convention)the job is a hundred times more difficult.

If you review the battles in Vietnam where uniformed regulars fought uniformed regulars there was never any doubt we beat them everytime and beat them badly! There was also very little colateral damage so, before you bad mouth are young men and women they didn't pick their enemy their enemy picked us.

What did we achieve in that war?

1. profile image0

Nothing. We weren't allowed to win and pursue any of our objectives. We weren't allowed to fight until we were shot at and we got permission to fight back. That war was solely the responsibility of the liberal press and a lot of good people died because morons decided they knew what was best. These Americans were and are traitors. Walter Cronkite and Jane Fonda should have been imprisoned for being traitors!

You can argue politics all you want but when our kids go to war you need to support them because they do they're duty! They believe your rights are worth fighting for! Anyone says anything to jeopardize their safety is a coward and a traitor and should be in jail.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
          Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, a person who blindly follows his government into an unjust war is the real traitor.  Cronkite had much to do with ending that war.

God bless him.

1. profile image0

Well I guess you know how I feel about you.big_smile

Yes, and I sleep better at night knowing it. yikes

1. profile image0

It easy to sleep without a conscience.wink

Pissing off dimwits should affect my conscience?

"What did we achieve in that war?"

"Was there a monolithic communist menace in SE Asia? Of course not."

That's what

9. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Randy I respect you and many others that are posting here. It is not my desire to argue but I do disagree. The weapons you speak of would not have been a problem if Hussein had done his part in complying with the United Nations. The fact that he stone walled every attempt made to investigate made him look criminal. It was only after the UN agreed to take this action that the supposed truth of the non-existent weapons came out.

I work in a C-store and if someone comes into my store and implies that they have a weapon they go to jail for armed robbery whether they had a weapon or not.

Saddam said he did not have the weapons. Our fantastic inspectors found nothing there.  We give Israel nuclear weapons and bitch when Saddam made crappy short shelf life chemical weapons with no way to deliver them to the enemy.  He had no planes to use or other means to attack us.

As long as you defend this corruption you are no better than those who profit from these wars.  They play on the sympathies of those who have loved ones fighting their battles of power and profit. 
      No one wants to be injured or have a loved one killed in a fight which involves corruption.  So, we tend to take the high road because we can't stand a useless sacrifice by our people.  But even Vietnam's terrible lesson was not heeded.  We learned nothing!

1. Ohma profile image59

All of which was discovered after he spent a long time sneaking around and refusing to allow an honest search by the UN inspectors. The point being if you imply that you are a criminal do not be surprised when people treat you as such.

We supported him against Iran for many years, Ohma.  He used the lies of having WMDs to keep others from attacking him when he was vulnerable.  He had no choice. 

We would be much better off still arguing with him and having millions still alive and our economy in better shape.  Or do you disagree?

1. Ohma profile image59

I will agree that this war and Bush's politics have seriously damaged our economy.
            Notice I did say Bush I do not blame our failing economy on Obama. He inherited a mess from the door. I do not yet know whether he has done anything to help it only time will tell, but Bush defiantly screwed it up.

10. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

And let me ask you guys this: Does arguing amongst ourselves do anything positevely for the war? Is it going to end it magiaclly by bickering? What is the point of arguing over something that is already happening. it isn't going to do anything except make us mad at one another when we should be on each other's side in just hoping and praying that the war ends soon and that the military men and women come home safely to their loved ones.

so why argue?

Not this war, it seems, CW.  But perhaps if we keep quiet enough about this stuff then we can repeat it over and over while the patriotism of the citizens allows it to continue.  Learn nothing by our past, seems to be the rule for those with the most patriotism.  Those of us who aren't afraid to speak out against murder and corruption are always called "America Haters" no matter which war we are in.

1. profile image0

Randy that isn't the point..the point is that arguing amongst ourselves isn't going to solve anything so why can't we just get along, stop the fighting, and talk civilized? especially talk about other things that aren't so negative?

The only one, who's  not being civilized here is Ohma, who's been so disrespectful as to say the people killed were morons.

11. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

you know, it's easy for civilians to sit here and gasp all horrified at these things, and the 'shooting of unarmed journalists' and in some cases, 'pregnant women'...well you know what? hindsight is 20/20.

you're not over there! you're not immersed in a hostile land where anyone can be a threat and you have but seconds to think. they are even strapping IEDs on pregnant women and children. you think these soldiers enjoy what they have to go through? it's easy to view one video clip and not only condemn them but our country. and really anyone who would go so far as to allude that 9/11 was a coverup of some sort is just being a jerk. i am getting tired of people using unfortunate incidents like this to trash my country and our military. my nephew is about to go to boot camp where he is going to train for a year as an IED Technician, then he will most likely be sent to Afghanistan where he will be doing some of the deadliest work in the deadliest country on the planet. why don't you show a little respect and quit calling SOLDIERS 'murderers'... roll

Very well said!

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thank you very much. it's very easy for people to sit at a keyboard and condemn others for doing a very difficult job. people who never picked up an M-16, i might add.

I only called the murdering soldiers murderers.  If your nephew murders civilians he is a murderer.  If he kills enemy soldiers he is a soldier.  There is a difference in the two, too bad you do not see it.  Do you honestly think this was an isolated incident?

1. profile image0

Tell me how you know who is a soldier who isn't? How many Americans do think have died because they hesitated? Well I want our kids to protect themselves, period! If it's hot-zone I want them to shoot first and sort it out later.

12. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Randy I seriously do not mean to be disrespectful of anyones death, life or opinion. I am sorry that we will not be able to ever see so many things the same way.
    I am sorry that you had friends that died in Vietnam so did I. Their deaths where tragic.
    Choosing to believe what I do is no different than you choosing to believe what you believe. We do not agree and I think it would be best if we agreed to leave this thread and hopefully find something that we can agree on another time.

13. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 14 years ago

I don't believe US policy makers are evil or driven by greed- though war profiteers feed big time on the edges of any conflict.

The problem with US policy makers (and the policy makers of most nations) is that so often they get lost in their own constructions of reality.

The big fear that drove the Vietnam War was that country after country would fall to communism if Vietnam fell. They called it the domino theory.

What happened after Vietnam fell? Was there a monolithic communist menace in SE Asia? Of course not. Vietnam was obliged to fight a war against the Khmer Rouge and China to preserve the independence it had won from French colonial rule and US interference. There was never a 'red tide' that would engulf the region just a struggle for self determination.

That US miscalculation cost a lot of lives and money just as the Iraq War (and WMD miscalculation) has cost a lot of lives and money.

14. sabrebIade profile image80

BTW...the US military has said the "insurgents" were unarmed.
    So there were no AK-47s or RPGs.
    If you see any, you are doing better than the military film experts that analyzed the footage.

"A military investigation later concluded that what was thought to be an RPG was really a long-range photography lens; likewise, the camera looked like an AK-47."
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_iraq_shooting

So no..the people on the ground did not aim or fire any weapons at that Apache, so says our own Military.

1. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And the US are the only ones guilty of killing innocents? I could list all the acts of terrorism that go on every day, day after day where innocent people are TARGETED, not killed accidentally.

But I'm not here to justify the killing of innocents by America. No America has taken on the role of protecting the commercial and security interests of nations around the globe, including countries that are hostile to America as well as those that are ambivalent. I'll bet you're country benefits from the security in the Straights of Hormuz!

Frankly, I'm tired of seeing MY tax money spent protecting the interests of foreigners that could care less about what we're doing or about our young people dieing. I'm all for bringing them all home and extending the collective middle finger to the rest of the world that has benefited from our sacrifice. Good luck funding your own armies and protecting your own interests!

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
        Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen, Poppa. Check out the book and movie (YouTube) "War Made Easy." It tells the whole sad story of the unnecessary wars we've started in the past half-century.

15. sabrebIade profile image80

So the Apache crew laughing and joking and and begging for the wounded guy crawling on the ground to pick up a gun didn't bother anyone?

You know...I always thought "Kill 'em all let God sort 'em out" was just a slogan on a red-neck T-shirt.

Now I see it is much more.

When did America lose it's compassion?
    When did we quit being the good guys?
    If we lower ourselves to "their" level, then we are no better than "them".

I guess all that time I spent in martial arts and hanging out with SEALS, Rangers and some Marines gave me a distorted view of honor.

1. profile image0

again, stressful situations make people say and do all sorts of things that, to an untrained OBSERVER, may appear strange. i don't see refraining from judgment of these soldiers as 'losing my compassion' or 'lowering myself to their level'. i wasn't there. you weren't there. until we are, we have no right to call them 'redneck' or 'murderers'. you actually think they are having a party over there, shooting up 'hadjis' for laughs?

Which martial arts?

16. sabrebIade profile image80

Cosette darlin, you know I love you, but without going into too much detail...I am hardly an untrained OBSEVRVER.
    I think we should just agree to disagree here.
    Like Crazed said earlier, I cant really see where this is helping anyone.
    I just want those men and women home so they will not be put in a situation like that again.
    Ever.

1. profile image0

i know sabre. i agree i want them home too.

i just dont think we can make judgments, as we are not there. those soldiers live with death and danger every waking moment. everything is a threat. and it has to be that way or they die. that's all. (and i luv u too, you know) smile

And obviously I cannot spell OBSERVER...
        Jeez!

2. profile image0

Oh, so you've been in a high-stress war zone before, not knowing whether you will kill or be killed?

For some reason I highly doubt that.

You are entitled to your own opinion.
        But since you know nothing about me, that would be speculation instead of opinion I guess.
        Either way, it's yours.

1. profile image0

I know you are a women and that is enough. Women are not allowed into combat zones.

Wow!

That is really, really...

Really?

Sometimes, there are no words to adequately express the thought.

2. sabrebIade profile image80

Yeah Ron I agree...I think I'll let it go at that.
              MAYBE I should get back in the kitchen.

1. profile image0

What?

Women in the United States military are not allowed into combat.

1. profile image0
                  Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It was just on the news the other night that women were being deployed in operations in Iraq because of the culture there, the women can go where the men can't, so yes, some women have taken fire.

1. profile image0

It's a moot point now after her last post.

3. profile image0

Right?

No, that can't be it.

Something along the lines of full of crap to the 100th power.

1. profile image0

Deleted - Forums annoyance got the better of me.

No. Just like yours ! lol

"You are entitled to your own opinion.
          But since you know nothing about me, that would be speculation instead of opinion I guess."

So, what's the answer?

17. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years ago

I watched this video last night. As a father, an American, and a former Marine, I was very disturbed. However, I tried to look at it as open minded as possible. Looking at the video, those cameras could have been mistaken for weapons. I don't know how big their screens are, but probably not as big as our monitors. Plus, the idea of an RPG is not good for a pilot. But, the people that pulled up in the van were trying to help. They obviously had no weapons and I NEVER saw one pick up something resembling a weapon on that video.

Who says war is so much more humane now than the old days when 2 armies amassed on a field and fought to the last man standing? At least children wouldn't be involved that way.

18. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

The servicemen were in a terrible position and had to make a quick decision whether to shoot or to endanger their comrades by not shooting.

The fact that they were put in that position based on a series of lies makes the incident all the more tragic.

"based on a series of lies "

You have no proof of that no matter how many times you repeat it.

It has been proven to the satisfaction of all but the furthest fringes of the right.

The fact that you don't accept it is further evidence of it's validity.

No WMD, even though you people said there were.

No yellow-cake even though you people said there was.

No connection to 9-11, even though you people tried to create one.

19. sabrebIade profile image80

You know, there are neighborhoods in the US that will get you killed just as fast as in Iraq.
    True a 38 snubnose may not be as flashy as a RPG, but you're just as dead if you get hit.
    Try running into 5 or 6 gang bangers and deciding if they have 9mm's or cellphones in their pockets.
    Or being in a bar frequented by bikers and seeing someone reach under the bar....
    Are they coming out with a bottle, or a shotgun?
    It's all perspective.

1. profile image0

So you haven't been in a war zone and therefore are an untrained observer when it comes to being in a helicopter and killing others?

20. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

And how many here cared to view the beheadings of innocent Americans who died slowly with a dull knife?

I saw these beheadings and do not want our soldiers compared to those who took part in these executions.  Killing innocent people is wrong whether it is us or them doing the murdering.  The innocent are still dead. 

Killing the innocent, on what equates to a video game and laughing throughout the process, does not make us look any better than the terrorists we are supposed to be fighting. 

Give me a reason why so many of our soldiers and Iraqi citizens had to die.  Why would we not be better off still arguing with Saddam with all of those human beings still alive and uninjured!

By taking up for obviously sloppy military operations will only mean more of the same in future actions.  How does this help our standing in the world?

1. profile image0

Did the soldiers know that they were innocent at the time though?

Extreme stress does strange things to people.

I can't argue with that. I wish the wars had not been started at all. However they have been started and I believe that one must finish what one starts.

It doesn't, but this is not a popularity contest.

Those killed were not firing on, or attempting to shoot or harm anyone.  Killing them without knowing they were combatants does not make me have any sympathy for the helicopter gunners.  The gunner was begging permission to finish off a wounded innocent man attempting to crawl away.

Those who were trying to help those wrongfully attacked were also killed.  Would you take up for those who killed our medics giving aid to our wounded soldiers?  One simply cannot explain away obvious sloppy military operations because it is our guys doing them.  This message does neither us nor the Iraqi people any good as far as winning hearts and minds of those we wrongfully attacked.  Wrong is wrong and the dead are still dead.

This is a direct result of faulty leadership and bad military choices.  By condoning these acts we slip down to the level of those we criticize and detest.

1. profile image0
            EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said.

2. profile image0

They believed they saw weapons. If you saw an enemy with a weapon wouldn't you shoot first rather than waiting to be shot at? And like I said, stress does strange things to people. Put in that kind of environment I'm willing to bet that most people would finish off what they perceive as the enemy.

In their eyes, these were more enemies aiding the enemy. This is Iraq in 2007 when things were still extremely bad. The men who came to aid them were in an unmarked van, a bongo truck, which the insurgents had been using to transport men, arms, explosives, and other equipment around.

Its easy to criticize in hindsight.

21. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

I didn't see the video but I heard the audio and what is clear is that for these soldiers it was another "day at the office". There were shots fired and a spotter saw weapons. All this was confirmed through the communications and permission to engage was requested and granted.

It turned out to be a horrible mistake, but from what I can tell and what the military has ruled is that none of the soldiers acted improperly. Now it may be there was an effort to hide the mistake from the public, and of course that is wrong and shouldn't have happened.

War is a dirty business. You can't carry it out without killing innocent people. War should ba a last resort and only executed in defense of the nation.

22. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

You say

'They believed they saw weapons.'

Really ? As much as America believed there were hidden missiles in Irak !

LOL what a joke!

And you're still coming for more?

You must be a masochist ! lol

1. profile image0

If you actually watched the video you would have heard that they thought they saw weapons, they talked about Ak-47s and RPGs.

What the hell?! Do you think I "get it off" from seeing people die?!

Do you think that I enjoy it? That I want people to die? That I wanted these goddamn wars?

No I don't.

What is your problem? This is the second time that you have gone and insulted me and then believed that everything is alright just by saying "LOL" at the end of the sentence.

I watched the video.
        Do you know the word ' lying'?

Did you see how they laughed while killing all those people?
        Pleeaassee !
        Don't be so naive!

1. profile image0

You think they wanted to kill those people? They thought they were the enemy.

you're still insulting my intelligence.

And yours as well.

There's something called 'brains'

1. profile image0

I don't believe those men purposely killed innocents. I believe that they thought they were the enemy.

Sorry! I can't agree with you. Let be it !

1. profile image0

That's perfectly fine. Agree to disagree til the end of time.

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kpRzbbl8G0

23. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

In Saddam's memoir he revealed how he wanted Iran to think that Iraq was developing nuclear weapons. This is why he stalled the UN inspectors and refused them all of the access they asked for. This is why America went to war, rightly or wrongly, but the war would never have taken place if Saddam was more cooperative.

What you believe is obviously up to you. We weren't there when those soldiers thought they saw weapons, but it's clear on the audio that is what they thought.

1. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree. If you point a hairbrush at a policemen from inside your pocket..the police sees it as a threat and they shoot.

How much more those fighting a war and seeing death every day.

24. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

And where did I insulted you ?
    show me !

You're insulting my intelligence.

1. profile image0

"Yours is very low by the way you comment on some threads LOL"
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/40329#post934549

"You must be a masochist !"

I never said I wasn't! LOL

Anyway, I didn't find any proof of that on that thread !

lol

1. profile image0

Sorry, that masochist thing was meant to be a quote from you. I wasn't calling you one and I'm sorry if it appeared that way.

Proof of IQ on that thread? I never put my IQ on it.

I never put mine either lol

1. profile image0

What's your point?

25. Padrino profile image61
    Padrinoposted 14 years ago
    1. profile image0

Very interesting.

26. Falsor Wing profile image60
    Falsor Wingposted 14 years ago

Was this link to the video of an Apache blowing up some  journalists? I don't mean to sound callus but there men with AKs and an RPG in the group. This sort of thing is inevitable given the circumstances.

1. profile image0

Yes, it is that video.

27. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

Psychologists Explain Iraq Airstrike Video
    By BENEDICT CAREY
    Published: April 7, 2010

The sight of human beings, most of them unarmed, being gunned down from above is jarring enough.

Notes from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq and other areas of conflict in the post-9/11 era.

At War Blog: Reaction on Military Blogs to the Wikileaks Video (April 7, 2010)
    Video Shows U.S. Killing of Reuters Employees (April 6, 2010)
    Iraq Video Brings Notice to a Web Site (April 7, 2010) Readers' But for many people who watched the video of a 2007 assault by an Army Apache helicopter in Baghdad, released Monday by WikiLeaks.org, the most disturbing detail was the cockpit chatter. The soldiers joked, chuckled and jeered as they shot people in the street, including a Reuters photographer and a driver, believing them to be insurgents.

“Look at those dead bastards,” one said. “Nice,” another responded.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/08/world … amp;emc=th

28. profile image0
    LegendaryHeroposted 14 years ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)