2012... Myth or Not?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (62 posts)
  1. ArthurWinford profile image41
    ArthurWinfordposted 14 years ago

I would like to hear people's suggestions on the 2012 Doomsday.  Supposely different cultures from all over the world came down to this specific year and day.  December 21, 2012.  I would like to know who thinks this is real or fiction.

1. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fiction.  Consider the basic fruits of the concept.....  There are none.  All this thought bears is negativity, doom and hopelessness.  I am a devout Christian.  Most in here know that and know that I preach it.  It is my belief that His design for man is a positive and uplifting one especially through the Atonement of His beloved Son.  This is why scripture states that the time shall not be known among the children of men.  We are to spend each day of our lives in preparation for eternity.  We are to build up our faith and character every moment of our lives.  We are to go forth with faith, hope and charity.  If we do this and keep a positive aspect in the forward motion of our lives, we will have no need to fear the day and hour of His coming.  The time means nothing.  How we spend the time we have left, in the service of our Creator and our fellow man, is what matters most.

2. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Crap

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

this is a myth. just as the end foretold for 1999 was.

4. MJFande profile image65
      MJFandeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are quite a few predictions dating back to ancient civilizations from all over the world about this exact date. For thousands of years there has been many different predictions. None of which are at all the same thing 1999 was. That was something that was a concern for only a few years.
      There are way too many different predictions from way too many different people for way too long for something not to happen. Supposedly it will be the first galaxy alignment in 50,000 years and that could cause a polar shift, which lead to the horrific screwing up of everyone's compasses. If that happens, I don't think we need to worry about the end of the world, since there have already been about 200 polar shifts in the earth's history.
      In my opinion, something will happen, but it may be so small that the only ones who will see it, are the ones looking for it.

5. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fiction.  Remember how we were all supposed go out in a blinding flash on Y2K?

1. CrystalStarWoman profile image58
        CrystalStarWomanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As I remember it - wasn't Y2K mainly about the possibility of world-wide disruption being caused by computer 'malfunctions'? I don't remember it being an 'end of the world' scenario...

However, funnily enough, at the time I was living with my family in France, in a house in a little village, in the middle of the countryside and I decided to collect a few supplies 'just in case'. We called it my Millennium Box and it actually came in very useful!

We had gone to England for Christmas in 1999 and were traveling back to France on the 28th of December, in time for the New Millennium celebrations - and discovered that a terrible Hurricane had devastated a large area of France during the night! We were driving home, avoiding trees strewn across the road, wondering what on earth we would find when we got back to our village...

Luckily our house was still standing, but there was a lot of damage to the roof, barns and neighboring buildings, etc.

There was a lot of disruption too - not the world-wide disruption as predicted for Y2K, but we had no running water, no electricity and no heating. Phone lines were down too.

Our 4 children went off to stay with various friends in nearby towns, which had not been so badly affected, but we spent the most miserable New Years Eve ever! It was Millennium Eve and it felt like the whole world was out there partying except us sad We couldn't even phone our friends and family in the UK to wish them a Happy New Year!

But my Millennium Box, full of stocked up emergency supplies, including bottled water, candles, matches, gas bottles for cooking, tinned food, etc - came in very useful indeed!!

Just goes to show that it doesn't do any harm to be prepared 'just in case'...

Sorry, didn't mean to write that much! lol

2. alternate poet profile image66
        alternate poetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ahh but 2012 is the real Y2K  didn't you know, accounting for the adjustments to the calenders - you were holding your breath with your fingers in your ears too early big_smile

6. controlyourhealth profile image60
      controlyourhealthposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One of the things I'd like to say is that when my first husband left me and my three small kids in the 1970's and people were talking about a nuclear war happening, I was going to kill my children and myself to avoid the disaster.  But my spirit guides voice said to me, "You will not die in a nuclear war and you and your children will be drawn up to me ." 

I've had other "Words of Knowledge" over the years.

Another time I was waiting to turn left into a driveway behind an apartment building and the voice told me to, "Go up to the next street and turn left there."  I listened, dropped off my daughter and her friend at the pool, that was next to the driveway, and I retraced my drive back up the hill toward the light and parked in the library lot. It sat behind the main buildings of the first street I was on.  I got out of the car and I saw smoke along the top of those buildings on the main street. I walked through the short alley to see a tractor-trailer (fully loaded with onions) had lost its brakes coming down the hill before that driveway, and it ran over a car, killing the two women in it, then dragged it to where I turned left at the light.

I wish to tell people that you must never lose your faith in God and his angels that help us each day.  Keep you eyes on the Word of God and in your heart, and God will tell you too how to avoid a disaster.  You must expect it with the confidence like you do a friend promises to call you at a certain time.  because that's exactly how it works. 

In I Corinthians 14:22-33, Paul talks about the nine gifts of the Holy Spirit.  These gifts are given freely to each person who is Born Again.  The "Word of wisdom" and "Word of Knowledge" works for every Christian.  I know this to be true and I'm not a very religious person, but I am a convinced one, ever since I was fifteen and asked God to help me not to steal anymore.  And that beautiful voice in my head gave me the answer so simple.

Bless to all of you who read this and love God and His wonderful son.

© Mother Horsey 2010

7. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

fiction.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Myth! Useless! Meaningless!

Hope that answered your question. smile

3. Obscure Divine profile image59
    Obscure Divineposted 14 years ago

The real stuff:  It makes for good movies, ups the sales in survival kits, and produces killer t-shirts.  Yay & Hurray, I'm going to party (on that date) like I did in 1999! I'm stocking up on Vodka; all is well......  wink

4. figment profile image76
    figmentposted 14 years ago

It will not be the end of the world, but something is significant about that day.

1. Obscure Divine profile image59
      Obscure Divineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's for sure, since all of the hype will be prevalent.  What's the worst that can happen: a planetary polar shift,  fear & panic amid society, the sales that skyrocket on survival kits, or some of the religious nuts that go bonkers and blow us all into tiny bits?

5. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

I don't believe in anything like that, in my opinion a complete load of crap, and anybody who spouts on about this on a daily basis..... which some people do.... is a complete waste of oxygen and should be sacrificed to offset the carbon footprint of my cigarette habit.

I wonder if some of these prophetic people seek doom because they have no life of their own?

1. figment profile image76
        figmentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very good point.

2. kirstenblog profile image77
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe they should hold their breath then! lol

I always figure, don't hold your breath but maybe I am wrong on that count!

6. CrystalStarWoman profile image58
    CrystalStarWomanposted 14 years ago

As with most things - it's best to remain open-minded. (Sadly it seems a lot of people here are very closed-minded.) Personally I think something will happen, but only time will tell wink

"Something" happens every day, no?

Yes of course smile

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure how being skeptical can be confused with close mindedness. My dad once told me that there was a place called salt mountain, where the worlds table salt is taken from, it was so big that we would never run out of salt.

I was about 5 at the time.... I believed that until I was 10. These days I prefer to dismiss certain things as a load of crap, nine times out of ten I am right. I actually refer to it as probability, give me that over being 'open-minded' any day of the week.

I, like many other people, like to maintain a degree of optimism about the future. Negative things will happen at certain points in my life, if I die in 2012 then so be it, at least I didn't waste 2010 and 2011 worrying about whether I would die. I don't believe in any after life, so I prefer to enjoy my real life.

I am generally a very happy, positive and optimistic person. I didn't mention anything about expecting negative things to happen in 2012 - if something does happen, it could be something exciting and wonderful - who knows?

In the meantime I cetainly won't be worrying about anything other than the usual day-to-day stuff - like paying my rent and bills on time and trying to enjoy each day as it comes smile

1. profile image0

Good, glad to hear it!

Well I know something which WILL happen in 2012, the Olympic Games are coming to the UK, and I am certainly looking forward to that big_smile

Me too! I can't wait see what the organisers decide to do for the opening and closing ceremonies... could be 'interesting' lol

1. profile image0

I hope that they do the 'anti-ceremony'..... we should have the ugliest little cockney brat possible singing something out of tune (instead of a cute Chinese kid singing) and a £20 box of fireworks from Morrisons (instead of fake computer graphics like the Chinese).

Its all so predictable though..... David Beckham will be involved, everything will be arranged to showcase a bliss image of London multicultarism, and the tubes will break down. Everybody will go away moaning about the cockroaches in their east end B&B lol

The main thing is that we win a few gold medals again!

2. stephensaldana profile image59
          stephensaldanaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Crystal, that is very positive side of you haan! one should always think like that only.. Brooding over past or thinking about future is of no use! Live in today and to the fullest!

7. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 14 years ago

There have been other predictions of doomsday in the past and all have turned out to be complete and utter nonsense.

But if anyone is a believer in this sort of thing consider transferring any funds you have on or around December 21, 2012 into my account. Also take some advice from Douglas Adams and quaff a few beers and have a wet towel at hand on the day of reckoning.

Just PM me and I will send you the wire transfer details.

1. profile image0

NO!!!! Don't give it to Peter Hoggan!

I can better that deal. Transfer it to me on that date, and recieve a 50% rebate should your prediction prove wrong!

Why not just stick it in a bank in case your wrong?!? Well, I will put it into a special fixed rate bond for a period of 12 months, if you do indeed end up going to whatever afterlife it is that you think you will have, I will arrange to transfer that 50% to the national bank of heaven via lightspeed spacecraft.... just in case you need money when you get there!

"ryankett financial services - protecting your interests whatever the eventuality"

1. MyWebs profile image78
        MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL big_smile

8. shelbywearsprada3 profile image60
    shelbywearsprada3posted 14 years ago

Pish Posh.

9. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

There's one experiment that seems totally like it could potentially cause the end of the world and that is the Hadron Collider experiment that will accelerate particles to determine the very nature of physics....it's said that this experiment will cause tiny black holes to appear through the experiment and use of the machine, although the tiny black holes will be so small that they should dissappear, I reckon it still has some kind of fear associated with it's use...probably watched too much science fiction or something!!

1. profile image0

I can see no reason whatsoever why the f**k anybody should be messing around with that shit, they are probably spending billions of quid on a pointless experiment.... they could use that cash to feed the f*ck*ng hungry!

1. waynet profile image68
        waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know, the money they pour into things that could cause the end of the world and then there's people starving in the world...makes you sick and the scientists that worked out that this machine would cause black holes, even though they will be tiny should have said no f**kin way!!

Welcome to the chaotic infinity...  We wouldn't be lucky enough to eliminate the insanity of the Homo sapiens...  A nuclear blast or a planetary explosion would just send our contaminants somewhere else, and we'd be talking about this very same thing from some other distant galaxy and/or planet, aeons & aeons later...via these "cyber-tech" contraptions known as computers - then, we could blow each other up, once again, back into tiny bits, and the process would restart somewhere else...  Ha-ha, LOL!  big_smile

10. profile image57
    foreignpressposted 14 years ago

Already earthquake activity is increasing. Violent hurricanes are predicted for this summer. How many tsunami warnings have been issued in the past three months? Underground seismic activity is such that the Northwest (U.S.) is preparing for a major earthquake by fortifying older buildings. Yes, of course, we think we know it all with our failsafe technology and our godlike powers to overcome. Be forewarned. Have even basic survival supplies on hand to last three weeks. The National Guard will be impotent.

1. profile image0

And whatever you do, dont forget the tin opener!

11. janiek13 profile image78
    janiek13posted 14 years ago

2012:
    IMHO, I think that a similar situation may very well be coming. I don't think there is a specific date, it could be hundreds of years from now, but the earth does have fault lines and it is a boiling mass of gaseous fire at it's core, so it is not too far-fetched to believe that it may implode someday. Do I believe that certain factions of the government may try and save themselves before the general population? Oh, hell yes!

1. profile image0

If you cant beat them join them!

Where do you think they will go? Is this why they searched for water on the moon?

Will Richard Branson arrange the travel? I can see it now.... Obama, Bush, Blair, Brown, Chirac.... all sipping champagne on a Virgin Spaceways flight to the moon, whilst Palin looks out of the window from her seat as the world explodes saying "Oh dear, I forgot my gun, are there bears on the moon?"...

1. janiek13 profile image78
        janiek13posted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh, I don't know where they might go, but I am sure that i won't be invited. You are a funny guy, Ryan, we must keep a sense of humor, otherwise it is just too depressing. Happy Easter!

1. profile image0

Happy Easter to you too!

12. samboiam profile image59
    samboiamposted 14 years ago

Please tell me it is a myyh. The end of the world can't happen just six weeks from the Super Bowl. lol.

13. profile image57
    foreignpressposted 14 years ago

Global seismic activity will increase over a period of time. The Easter Day 7.3 earthquake in Baja California is very telling as it was felt in Arizona to the east and SD and LA north. Obviously 2012 will not occur overnight although it makes for good movie plots. Look for a slow increase in natural activity, above and below ground, where it will peak and then slowly decrease. LA cannot prepare for what's to come.

1. profile image57
      foreignpressposted 14 years agoin reply to this

According to USGS, S. Calif. has had 17 minor shocks; Sonora, Mex., 1; and Baja, Calif., 20 including the major earthquake of 7.2 all in the last two days. These have ranged between 7.2 to 2.5. The faultlines are always active in that area, but this is unusually high activity for such a short time period. And considering Earth keeps its own schedule, a global disaster could happen this year or in 2015.

14. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

I don't know.

But honestly, why concern ourselves about it? If it IS the end of the world, there's nothing we can do about it.

Enjoy the time you have now. None of us know when the world is going to end.

15. Ben Evans profile image65
    Ben Evansposted 14 years ago

In our best efforts to rule our universe, we try to predict that which cannot be predicted.

While anything can happen, our senses will often falter as we try to bend the world around our thoughts.

16. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 14 years ago

I'd say it's about as real as the Y2K bug. Remember that? But if you do want to attract your share of nutcases, try writing a hub on the subject. They seem to be attracted to the subject like honey to bees.

NB: the hub itself was written as a humour piece but, you know, humour is a subjective thing and flies over the head of some people at warp speed.

17. pooja0908 profile image61
    pooja0908posted 14 years ago

i think its a myth.

18. bojanglesk8 profile image60
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

Just a myth. It's no different from Y2K.

19. moondive profile image57
    moondiveposted 14 years ago

It is just a myth. I wrote a hub about it.

20. lilly_dens profile image41
    lilly_densposted 14 years ago

either it's a myth or it's going to really happen, nobody really knows. it says that 2012 is the end, but we don't know if we're still alive at that time to prove whether it's really a myth or truth. it still boils down to the point that we are all going to die, we just don't know when our time's up and we need to find the strength to accept that we're going to die someday.

But we shouldn't worry much about doomsday, why don't we all focus on what is Today, give our best in everything, do good things to yourself & to others as well, enjoy & live life to the fullest.

21. profile image57
    NoToPseudoScienceposted 14 years ago

Myth, completely and utterly. For instance, if there was such an object as "Planet X Nibiru", the astronomy community would have found it, and the exact means of finding it and viewing it for yourself would be more widespread.

Further, how many times in history has someone been predicting the end of days? People have been predicting the end of the world "within a year" for over a millennium.

22. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

To me it seems as though there are too many trains headed toward the same intersection at about the same time for there not to be some kind of wreck.  This is speaking only of geological, atmospheric, social and economic conditions.

And my impresion of biblical prophesy seems to point to 2012 to 20155 as being quite significant.

Some kind of change is coming.  that's my opinion anyway.

1. alternate poet profile image66

Quite a wide target there Jerami !!   big_smile big_smile

Typos can be the funniest part of these posts sometimes can't they.

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it was a typo and maybe it wasn't.
          This way I'm more likely to be right. And if I'm still wrong   Hay  Cain't give me a hard time about it.

No I didn't check it.  2012 to 2015 is what I meant to say.  I bet ya a nickle I'm right..

2. alternate poet profile image66

Some kind of change is also my opinion, and also because of so many things apparently coming to a head. The various prophecies all appear to me to be related to the workings of the celestial calender where all the ways of counting time started. As I understand it the way the Maya calender works ceases to function in 2012 due to the position of our galaxy in the Universe - or something like this.

But civilizations and natural events seem to also go in cycles, if you stretch time over a long enough period species extinctions, volcanic activity etc etc seems to form recurring patterns.  It just feels ripe somehow.

23. moondive profile image57
    moondiveposted 14 years ago

I wrote hub about it. If you have time please read smile

24. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

This is very much an oversimplified analogy.

Have ya ever balanced an egg at the exact time of the spring equinox.  I think that it is something like that.
      Winter turning to spring and the electro magnetic forces stop and start goin in a diffrent direction.
       I know that aint right but sumtin likit

of course it is over simplified, but the result is that I would not take your nickel bet on something happening in that period.

25. rambrose57 profile image60
    rambrose57posted 14 years ago

Myth.

More hit or myth I think.

1. andromida profile image56
        andromidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nothing but myth-nothing to be afraid of smile. yet, in 2012 our planet will enter a new solar cycle-i m really not sure if there will any usual solar activity in 2012-that is no impossible.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)