What language/s did Buddha speak or write?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (55 posts)
  1. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Hi friends

I understand that he spoke in a language which was only spoken; while the Buddhist canon is in Pali which was only written and no more spoken widely.

Any opinions, please

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. profile image0
      crmhaskeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He was born in modern day Nepal, and as such spoke whichever language was common to that region at the time.  Buddha wrote not a word.

When he taught, it is believed he taught in Pali.  It is likely the Buddha could read Sanskrit.

2. profile image53
      noahlopezieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think he used to speak Hindi the national language of India as he used to live in Bihar a state in India. What do you say?
      http://www.articlesbase.com/dental-care … 12431.html

2. profile image0
    SirDentposted 13 years ago

Romulan or is it Vulcan?

1. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

spoken like a true christian.   good one

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. . .  I think.

1. alternate poet profile image67
          alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

or maybe you don't ?

2. Richieb799 profile image77
        Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I notice you have a disliking for Christians, I find it bizarre when people such as Gandhi would teach equality amongst Christians, Muslims and Hindu's

1. profile image0

Gandhi was enlightened, paarsurrey is not.  All great leaders have never taught "follow me only", their followers made up the "follow him/her only" rule.

1. Richieb799 profile image77
            Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

This was a quote from Hokey's comment friend, not paarsurrey.. I agree about the Follow him/her comment though mate - you are right about great teachers

1. profile image0

Ah yes, didn't notice the "Hokey says part" - in any case, the after comment still applies wink

2. profile image52
              paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi friends

Our friend crmhaske is right; I am not enlightened one. Gandhi was only a worldly politician; also not enlighetened one, in the sense he never received Word of Revelation from the Creator-God allah YHWH.

It is no harm for the enlightened to say to others to follow them as they are the saviours. Aaron and Moses asked people to follow them, for that reason:

[20:89] Then he produced for them a calf — an image producing a lowing sound. And they said, ‘This is your God, and the God of Moses.’ So he gave up the religion of Moses.
              [20:90] Could they not see that it returned to them no answer, and had no power to do them either harm or good?
              [20:91] And Aaron had said to them before this, ‘O my people, you have only been tried by means of it (the calf). And surely, the Gracious God is your Lord; so follow me and obey my command.’
              [20:92] They replied, ‘We shall not cease to worship it until Moses return to us.’
              [20:93] Moses said, “O Aaron, what hindered thee, when thou didst see them gone astray, [20:94] ‘From following me? Hast thou then disobeyed my command?’
              [20:95] He answered, “O son of my mother seize me not by my beard, nor by the hair of my head. I feared lest thou shouldst say, ‘Thou hast caused a division among the children of Israel, and didst not wait for my word.’”

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … p;verse=85

Thanks

1. profile image0

Not one truly enlightened person has said "you must follow me only or else."  Any one who says that is not enlightened.  It is one thing to say "hey, I have something to say, follow me" and another completely to say "if you don't follow me you'll regret it."

The latter are the made up words of the followers, not the followed.

2. Dense profile image61
            Denseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Clap, clap.

2. profile image52

Please elaborate.

Thanks

1. profile image0
        1. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You have been very naughty today SirDent! lol

1. profile image0

I am an angel, Earnest. I have no idea what you mean. tonguetonguetongue

1. earnestshub profile image80
              earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

3. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 13 years ago

I think his followers follow for the phylosohpy he taught not fot the language he used.

1. profile image52

Hi friend aka-dj

We are ascertaining, if the Philosophy or faith being spread "in Buddha's name " is really authored by him or by others.

I am of the opinion that the accounts of his life have been dramatized later; as the accounts do not depict any wisdom; and Buddha was a man of great wisdom.

I love Buddha as I do love Zoroaster and Krishna

Thanks

1. aka-dj profile image64
        aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Buddha is dead. Why love a dead man?
        Still, makes no difference of the language. Many English speaking people followhis teachings. English was not even conceived then.

1. profile image52

Hi friend aka-dj

May be the teachings they follow being from Buddha are not his teachings. This is the focal point to be ascertained with peaceful discussion.

This has happened many a time.

The Jews and Christians think that Genesis was written by Moses; while it is not.

The Christians think that the Gospels are inspired by Jesus; no it is written by the scribes who never believed in Jesus; they were the deserters and while writing they were influenced by Paul and the Church; in fact these gospels were anonymous writings only ascribed to the scribes to add credulity.

Jesus had nothing to do with them.

Thanks

I don't get your point.
            You don't believe MANY things from or about the Bible, so your comments hold very little credibility in my view.

All of Christianity relies on the death and resurrection of Jesu Christ (which you deny), so what else would we expect from you.
            Oh, and if you DID believe, then it would make you a Christian, which you are not. As your signature clearly states.

BTW, Mohammed didn't write the Koran, his followers did many years later. So why believe that has not been tampered with also?

1. mohitmisra profile image59
              mohitmisraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

His resurrection is one point even if it is not true no big deal Jesus is far bigger than that and immortal.

2. mohitmisra profile image59

they are the teachings of an enlightened one paarsurrey such wisdom is not possible by someone who has not gone beyond.

Aka dont you love Jesus?

I love the Buddha ,Jesus ,Mohammad, Guru Nanak etc.

Jesus NOT dead.
            Say again, JESUS NOT DEAD.
            The others DEAD, DEAD, DEAD and DEAD.

CRAP, CRAP, CRAP.AND MORE CRAP

2. profile image0

Just because they do not fit your worldview, that does not make them wrong.  Buddha may have been a man of wisdom, but he was also a human like the rest of us.  As such he was subject to the same desires, temptations, and emotions that we are (pre-enlightenment).  He was fallible no different than all humans are fallible.

Copied from what I wrote on your other Buddha thread:

"In the Buddha's time there would have been no need to record anything because he was alive and well.  His teachings couldn't be forgotten or distorted because he was there to spread them.  I don't think the Buddha intended for an entire religious system to be formed around his teachings as he believed each person should seek out the truth for themselves.  He believed no scripture should replace that individual quest for truth.

That being said, after 400 years I'm sure there was a lot of division amoungst followers of the Buddha, and so the First Buddha Council came together to unite the followers with a written scripture.  While I'm sure a good portion of the Buddha's original teachings were preserved, one must always keep in mind  that it was a council of direct descendants of the Buddha's disciples that decided what was and was not an original teaching of the Buddha.

How do I know for certain?  Well, I don't, but nobody knows very much for certain.  I can only do what the Buddha taught to do, seek the truth for myself.

Muhammad, your prophet, was alive in a different time.  In the Buddha's time not many people would have known how to read and so recording his teachings would have been useless.  The Brahmans may have been capable of reading, but the Buddha rejected everything they stood for.  He wanted to teach to the layman not to some elite class.

In the time of your prophet reading was a lot more common.  Your Qu'ran is believed to have been written by Muhammad himself, but the man was illiterate.  You have no proof that he actually wrote it himself, and must take it on faith alone that he did.  Not only that, but he is not alive today.  You have no way of knowing for certain that the Qu'ran you have now is the same Qu'ran that Muhammad supposedly wrote.  Just as I have to take it on faith that the Pali Canon is the Buddha's original teachings, you have to take it not only take it on faith that your Qu'ran is the same Qu'ran that was first recorded, but also that an illiterate Muhammad wrote it."

Nicely written crmhaske.

Buddha spent the rest of his life after enlightenment in travelling and  teaching about enlightenment.

1. profile image52

Hi friend  mohitmisra

I like that role of the Buddha; but his life depicted by the Buddhists or the Buddhism is no good.

@crmhaske

Did he return to his wife, his child, his parents and to rule justly over his people; the normal life for him?

I love Buddha as I love Zoroaster , Krishna and Moses.

Thanks

1. profile image0

No, that would have been selfish.  Instead he taught what he'd discovered.

Who exactly made you the judge of what is and is not characteristic of a wise person.  Have you ever read the Ramayana?  If not, you should.

1. profile image52

Hi friend crmhaske

A weird definition of selfish. How return to normal life is selfish? Abnormality cannot generate wisdom; it is all  from the Buddhists not from Buddha. Please quote from Buddha for such claims and reasons.

Thanks

1. profile image0

I don't need to quote from the Buddha, I have a brain myself that I know how to use.

It would have been selfish to obtain wisdom, and then just go home without sharing that message.  It would have also been selfish to expect his family to uproot themselves and follow him on his quest to teach his message.  Furthermore, his wife and child would have been well taken care of in his palace, he didn't just abandon them with nothing.

What is a family when compared to a whole nation?  "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

When one gets enlightened he sees God or himself in all things, he had a greater role to play.

2. profile image0

Thank you smile

3. mohitmisra profile image59

Give example paarsurrey.

Every prophet will work in his own way some will write and some will not.
          Also parchment ad paper didn't always exist and the oral form of communication was the way.This  started with poetry as dohas or couplets ,the most condensed form of philosophy, as this form was easy for the human to memorize and pass on, Like the Zend Avista, the Holy Buddha Sutras, Holy Bhagwat Gita, Holy Ramayana, Holy Guru Granth Sahib etc.

There are some great masters who go into silence and they are still doing there work like the 300 year old Telangi Maharaj who loved Laddus or sweets.

In Islam the prophet who writes is considered higher up.

1. marinealways24 profile image60
              marinealways24posted 13 years agoin reply to this

And the one that gets the highest ebook rankings is the highest...literally. lol

1. profile image0

The one who uses the best drugs is what you mean don't you?

Its considered more difficult.

2. profile image52

As the story goes; he left his home leaving alone his wife and child; without taking permission from her; she was also a human being needing a husband who would have vowed to become a life partner. I think it is not wise; it is sheer cruelty. It is not the story of my Buddha. It preaches asceticism wich is another form of suicide. It is leading people astray, in my opinion.

Thanks

Each to his own,

"Live and let live".Mahavira

1. profile image52

Hi friends

That is OK with me; I am peaceful

Thanks

True language s just a medium for the message.

4. profile image52

What language/s did Buddha speak or write?

Hi friends

Buddha spoke Magadhi language; while the canon ascribed to him is written in Pali.

It is like Jesus spoke Aramaic while the original Bible is in Greek.

So the origianl teachings of Buddha and Jesus have been lost.

Thanks

1. profile image0

You, my friend, are the one that is lost.

1. profile image52

Hi friend crmhaske

You are welcome to bring me on the straight path with reason, rationality and with logical arguments from Word of Revelation from the Creator- God Allah YHWH. You are a nice person and a good teacher. Peace be on you.

Thanks

5. profile image52

crmhaske wrote:

All great leaders have never taught "follow me only", their followers made up the "follow him/her only" rule.

Unquote

Hi friend crmhaske

We are discussing here religios divine leaders or founders of the religons; they did say to follow or obey the teachings revealed on them:

[26:106] The people of Noah treated the Messengers as liars,
    [26:107] When their brother Noah said to them, ‘Will you not be righteous?
    [26:108] ‘Surely, I am unto you a Messenger, faithful to my trust.
    [26:109] ‘So fear Allah, and obey me.
    [26:110] ‘And I ask of you no reward for it. My reward is only with the Lord of the worlds.
    [26:111] ‘So fear Allah, and obey me.’
    [26:112] They said, ‘Shall we believe thee, when it is the meanest that follow thee?

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … ;verse=112

Thanks

1. profile image0

Man wrote the Qu'ran, not God.  It is not revelation, it's an attempt at mind control - a quite successful one at that.

1. profile image52

Deleted

1. fred allen profile image60
          fred allenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Faith is so precious. It can sustain a man's hope in any given circumstance. As I read your words, there is no question as to the genuineness of your faith. I applaud you for your sincerity and strength. If it was obvious that your faith was mis-placed, would you have the strength and courage to reconsider the object of your devotion in exchange for a new and more hope filled one?

1. profile image52

Hi friend fred allen

Life is only for once in this world; why should one deny truth if it comes one's way? I would love to. Quran instructs us in the very first chapter "Show us the truthful and straight path".

Thanks

2. profile image52

You may express your views fully; I am all ears.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)