Where does your dinner come from?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (38 posts)
  1. h.a.borcich profile image62
    h.a.borcichposted 13 years ago

I am curious where you get your food from..

Do you shop traditional grocery stores or are health food/co-ops the store for you?

Do you grow gardens of produce? Do you can or freeze much if you do garden?

Do you shop farmers markets rather than grow your own?

Where do you get meats from? Traditional grocery, specialty grocery, grow your own or do you buy local from farmers?

Not trying to be too nosy LOL just interested in where other people find their foods smile Thank you, Holly

1. sarovai profile image73
      sarovaiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Partially from home grown ,partially from market, but selective.

Food hot and fresh every day.

2. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 13 years ago

I look under rocks. Thats where you fing the best snails!  wink

1. Art 4 Life profile image60
      Art 4 Lifeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

raise my own beef, raise chickens, have my own eggs, grow my own fruit, (peaches and pears)& veggies, can them, I dont recommend anyone do this, it's alot of work,...but I love to go to speciality shops and get seafood, and things not around here....and I go to farmer's markets alot for other things I dont grow or raise...

h.a.borcichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a lot of work but I am sure well worth it. When my son was young he was allergic to msg so I canned about 1400 jars a year of jellies, fruits, juices, and salsa.
        Thank you for sharing, Holly

1. Art 4 Life profile image60
          Art 4 Lifeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

h.a.borchich~
          I bet you spend weeks canning that much...ugh...I dread canning, so much peeling, cutting, etc.....but it does save alot of money, and I give them away for Christmas presents  too...everyone loves the peaches and pears...just wrap a bow around the top, and you are good to go~ I wish I could freeze more, but living here, I can never tell when the electric is going to go off..and the generator is really noisy....need to get off the grid I guess....go with some solar panels?

Oh yes, as the holidays get closer I get "wish lists" of canned goods hoped for smile But I always enjoyed the garden from planting to harvest, the bounty all summer, and even the preserving. Maybe my little girl memories with Gramma, maybe just knowing how much my loved ones love it smile
            So glad I do not have the same factors as you do for utilities!
            Eat well, and thanks, Holly

2. h.a.borcich profile image62

smile

3. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 13 years ago

I shop at a little local neighborhood grocery. They have the absolute freshest meat and produce.
    I don't stock up on things I won't eat within two days- I don't waste any food that way.

I grew up in a small town, so having a neat little local owned grocery store in the neighborhood is something that I'm loving. What I like best is that they only stock ingredients. Meaning, you don't leave that store with a cart full of prepackaged garbage highly processed food.
    You just leave with the fresh & healthy food that you actually have to cook for yourself. smile

I will only go to the big super stores on the very rare occasion that I need something I can't find at my little grocery. The last time I went to one was in February.

Once summer hits, I head over to a farmers market in the next city over. It is the most amazing place. There are so many different types of people there. You can hear four or five different languages being spoken at any given time, and everybody is sharing recipes smile

Neat question!

Good way to be - very efficient and I don't think you are missing out by avoiding the prepackaged and over processed stuff smile
      Farmers markets are neat and very diverse. Ours has a lot, but if I want to get crazy with it - Madison has a massive market. Even an indoor one in the off season.
      Thanks for sharing, Holly

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

a local farmers market for produce, freshly baked bread, pasta, cheese, honey and they just started selling local frozen fish, which I'm hesitant to buy any fish lately.

grocery store for organic soy milk, eggs, chicken, cereal, nuts, etc. frozen veggies at times, fresh oj.

I recently planted a small garden of lettuce, cucumbers and carrots. I guess I'll see what happens.

sometimes I stop at the local roadside vendors selling fresh local produce if I have cash with me.

Another farmers market fan smile Thank you for sharing - love your hubs, too by the way, Holly

5. west40 profile image61
    west40posted 13 years ago

Grow my own vegetables and can/freeze.  Last year we purchased 1/2 cow from a local farm - Had to take the cow to the butcher ourselves.  Shop at farmers market and also at our local grocery store.

Very cool - I am buying a 1/2 cow from a farmer I have known since we were kids. I trust him to keep the chemicals out it! Thank you for sharing. Holly

6. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 13 years ago

Major grocery store, and I shove as many coupons at the cashiers that I can. Poor cashiers!! But I gotta get the savings!!!11

big_smile

Coupons help for sure smile Do you get items that are mostly ready or near ready to eat, or is it ingredients if I may ask? Holly

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

Holly, here is an organic farm community in the Tampa area and some of what they offer. I think it's fantastic.  I know you farm, so I thought you may be interested.
    http://www.sweetwater-organic.org/

8. europewalker profile image77
    europewalkerposted 13 years ago

I shop at the local grocery store chain.I think I would eat healthier if there was a farmers market close by though.

I hope you can find one - even just the atmoshere at the market is inviting! Thank you for sharing, Holly

9. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 13 years ago

I lived in france (fontainebleau) for 5 years. Apart from my love for fashion(!), I learnt to savour and enjoy food there. Every sunday, the whole town would walk to the local farmer's market and buy the freshest, most delicious vegetables, fruits, cheese and bread you can ever imagine! It was pure visual delight just seeing all the stalls and taking in the sounds. You actually wanted to cook dinner then.... Such warm memories really....!

Of course, once I shifted to london, the nearest sainsbury's took over! neutral

1. Origin profile image60
      Originposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thats one big thing I wanted to do if I were to ever visit France, the food! I've heard so many good things, especially watching the travel channel on cable and watching what they eat.. Mmmm...

2. h.a.borcich profile image62

That sounds so cool! I have never been out of the midwest really. Thank you for sharing MOW, Holly

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

mow, when I had the pleasure of visiting France, I almost didn't want to leave. the fresh produce and wide variety of foods was amazing to see and smell. I remember being able to walk into a small grocery on the streets with all kinds of fresh produce, the best cherries I've ever tasted.

thanks Holly! smile

10. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

We shop various places for our needs. I also garden and have a raspberry patch.

I can see you gardening smile I have a few raspberries but they don't produce enough yet. Maybe I can get a few tips from you!
      Thanks, Holly

11. ThoughtfulSpot profile image70
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 13 years ago

With young children, work, etc., I've downgraded to shopping once every 2 weeks at the local grocery store.  Then, once per month at a club store to pick up big stuff.  But, we've recently started growing vegetables, herbs and some fruits at home.  I hope to increase this over the coming years and become a little more independent... I love fresh veggies in the summer and fall!

You are in for a treat with the garden. Some veggies can be stored up for most the winter without canning. I keep carrots in a sand bucket that runs out by Feb or March. Potatoes and acorn squash keep well in the basement. And I string the onions and hang them in the basement too.
      Canning and freezing is a big change to make but again well worth the efforts. Let me know if you need any recipes smile
      Thanks for sharing, Holly

12. h.a.borcich profile image62
    h.a.borcichposted 13 years ago

I'll keep checking the thread so please share your food sources smile It is quite interesting really, Holly

13. rambrose57 profile image60
    rambrose57posted 13 years ago

I usually shop at the local grocery store.  Non perishable items like cereal, bread is usually cheaper at Walmart. I usually pick up some stuff if I happen to be there.  I used to go a local meat store for meats and cold cuts.  This is something I need to start doing again.

14. Ladybird33 profile image66
    Ladybird33posted 13 years ago

I live in a small town so it's limited for us, but we grow a lot of our own veggies and then I shop at the local grocery store...wish we had more options but we do the best we can.

15. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

My dinner comes from the kitchen, all the food is found here!

16. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 13 years ago

I love my local co-op. I buy veggies, fruits, pickles, cheese and other stuff there. For meat, I purchase that from the local butcher. For seafood, I purchase that from a plethora of local sellers.

If I need to buy frozen junk for a recipe or if I'm craving it or something, I shop at Wal-Mart. (that's not meant to be sarcastic, that's the truth! lol)

Basically, I have certain items that I feel compelled to buy at certain locales.

I don't garden because I hate dirt (and don't have the time)! big_smile

17. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Whole Foods/Trader Joe's/Farmer's market... Russian grocery store, occasionally Giant and Safeway, BJ's club, Halal market for meat...

Pretty much it smile

1. lightning john profile image60
      lightning johnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whole Foods? You must be rich!

Whole foods is not always at a higher price. I do watch the sales and plan a menu to maximize. For instance, I'll buy a chicken and I'll roast it and serve with a meal. I will take the rest of the bigger meat pieces and make chicken fajitas. Then I cook the carcass to make broth and use the smallest pieces for a base to make a chicken pot pie. I get my monies worth smile
        Beth - even canned in jars - like peach halves don't appeal? I would rather have home canned peaches than flavorless fruit out of season! Just my tastes smile
        And Poet - I am glad the hubby can cook! I hope you get to have some healthier food too!
          Thanks again everyone, I do appreciate the input smile Holly

18. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Hi Holly!

It depends on the season. During the winter,I shop at a grocery chain for fresh/frozen but never canned.  During the summer, I grow some of our own veggies, some are purchased at the local producers, food markets and grocery stores that carry local produce.  As for fruit, I buy as much locally as possible, but since I live in Canada, I generally end up at the grocery store for the items that can't be grown here.  I also buy frozen fruit but never canned.  Something about canned veggies and fruit......ewwww!  smile

19. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 13 years ago

a very lazy shopper, just wherever my husband stops his car, gets out and shops.... i need to take the job back in hand, we do not eat healthy enough, but it always tastes good.  He can cook too

20. Betty Reid profile image60
    Betty Reidposted 13 years ago

I mostly shop at the big grocery store, HEB.  Some times I shop at Whole Foods or Central Market, a branch of HEB that's similar to Whole Foods.  These healthier stores are very convenient to my work and school, they are more likely to have organic berries, and I like Central Market's salad bar.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)