Aimless depression and an indulgence in self pity

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (45 posts)
  1. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I am feeling an aimless sort of depression and dearly desire to indulge in some serious self pity for no apparent reason. If I had some good reason I would not be here but immersed in a total self pity party with me, myself and I, alas the tragedy is that there is no reason, nothing in particular to complain about really sad

Maybe I should get my butt in gear and find a reason to feel better, thus this forum. I would like to ask you guys to post your most entertaining hub suggestions be they your own or someone else's. Note I am feeling rather lazy and so am not looking for self improvement type hubs! Works of comedy or fantasy fiction would be preferable. Also if its not well written I will be clicking the back button fast, remember I am feeling lazy and don't want to have to work out what it is the author is trying to say!

1. profile image57
      zona aposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You need stimulation!
      Find something so interesting you cannot put it down!
      Explore some new ideas!

2. profile image56
      patspnnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you are "indulging" in what you say is indulgent self pity for no apparent it may be time to check your diet and vitamin intake because certain lack of nutrients may cause depression

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I'm sure I could come up with some ways to make you smile or laugh and get you out of your depression, but since I really don't know you all that well, such as, a personal level, then I can only offer my assistance, without being or seeming like a perverted old man. lol lol

But, I am of the understanding that 'sexual' chit chat, or even small meaningless statements can make people laugh, but again, like I said, I don't know you personally. big_smile

And, on other hand, I'd like to extend to you a warm welcome, if you want to talk, then feel free to contact me and talk about anything you decide to share. If I can help CHEER you up, then that would be even better. lol lol big_smile yikes tongue

kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why not suggest a creative hub you have written for me to read? I have had a read of a few of your hubs and I bet there is a good one that can provide a distraction?

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, to be honest, I don't have any Hubs that could help you with your present plight. I've written a poem on Depression and Inspiration, but after reading them myself, don't recommend reading.

So, I decided to become a follower of your writing, and with any luck, that will put a smile on your face. However, on another note, you've now shown a weakness in my display of writing and now I must try and fix. I'm grateful that my ignorance has been shown to me in this area. I'm off to fix now my own plight.

Try to keep smiling. big_smile

I guess that there is always an up side! It sounds like you will be diversifying your hubs by writing some fun/silly/just plain entertaining hubs. If I have inspired that then I gotta grin about that big_smile

Well, I've arrived at a different conclusion, after re-reading one of my poem that I wanted to share.

It might be funny or cheerful, depending on the underlying cause for your blues during these days.

http://hubpages.com/hub/A-Poem-You-Wont … lse-part-6

It is a poem on Depression, but your view of it might be different than mine. big_smile

There was no comment box! Well I will have to leave my comment here (by the way I gave it an up vote). I think you are wise and sage about depression. My take is that you understand that it is going to happen sometimes and its better to accept this. When a case of the blues hits you can't really run from it, better to indulge in it to some extent but be mindful that it is in indulgence that must be kept in check. Something like that anyway!

My advice to myself, no alcohol tonight cause that just makes depression worse!

Correct, alcohol will make your depression worse. And, yes you understood my poem exactly. But, what I thought you might find funny was the last few lines, with regards to putting men and women together when they are both depressed...it doesn't bode well for either of them. lol

That last one probably got a little to close to the mark really, hubby is just as sulky today as I am hmm

lol

3. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Ah I know the feeling...it's the holidays I think... try this if you haven't read it yet.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Gift

I have read this one lol! This is the sort of thing I need tho, a good fun distraction that almost counts as 'work' as I can say its good hubtivity

1. profile image0
        Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you should visit my blog if you haven't been there lately.

4. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

I have a little suggestion that works for me. Sometimes the blues really are a biochemical dip. So I take a fist full of Vit D and fish oil caps. Mind you, not everyone wants to know this, but still if you try it at night before bed, more often than not you'll wake up with a little brighter countenance. If it doesn't work then it wasn't biochemical.

So here's my other offering, for what it's worth. Not scintilating stuff, but fun, nonetheless.
    Here it is:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Pigeon-Limerick … -Past-Life

Maybe you'll get to watch more snow fall? That seems so peaceful to me.

Thanks for sharing your hub! I left you a comment wink. Did you draw the picture at the top?

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for commenting! Yup, I drew the pic. I do that sometimes.

5. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Daniel that might just work. When my husband started eating sushi twice a week, his mood brightened considerably. I think it was all the rich omega-3's he gets from it.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes sushi is nice kirsten, I always eat it, I love rice on it LOL

hugs for you,

if you have time you can read this one,

http://hubpages.com/hub/Why-am-I-blesse … ht-sadness

Sushi is my favorite traditional christmas dinner actually! Nothing quite so good as home made sushi

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
          prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can make for you if you are near here, but I guess you know how to  make one already...

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I find Vitamin D does help my mood. But, I still feel like this occasionally too. I think some of us are hard-wired that way.

7. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 14 years ago

It depends on what part of the globe you are now. If it is as cold as in Toronto, Canada right now, you could get undressed completely(I mean, completely), could leave your slippers on, I guess. Go to the nearest corner of your street and try to survive there for half an hour, at the same time inviting passers-by to take part in the challenge... until police get curious. if you get lucky, in half an hour you'll get a lot of energy, forget abour your depression and you'll be running for shelter as fast as you can, feeling very happy that you have one!

8. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

hmmm if you haven't read my middle finger hubs you should read those ones they'll make ya laugh I'm sure. Or hmmm...not play wheelbarrow with a chow chow is a good one.

I am going to have to mosey on over and read your hubs! I bet I can find a few in your 100 hubs! Congrats by the way big_smile

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks kristen and yea you'll find funny ones in those I think hehehe

I left a comment on the first one, I hope you enjoy big_smile

9. profile image0

uh oh now I'm scared lol

10. ForTheInterim profile image64
    ForTheInterimposted 14 years ago

This is my best attempt at a funny hub!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Teach-yourself- … h-Language

I'm not much of a comic writer, but check out the Weather Forecast video anyways smile

For some reason I feel I've read that you're from the UK - so you may have already heard some jokes of this sort then!  But for a Canadian, moving to Northern Scotland was an interesting experience.

11. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

Well, kirstenblog, I certainly got a righteous chuckle or two out of this one:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-Ten-Passive … e-You-Hate
    And if that doesn't do it, just sit on your behind and look out the window! lol

I suggest this one should be read by anyone in need of a laugh! Good suggestion lorlie6

12. profile image0

hehehe no my guinea pig wasn't a vampire just mad at me lol

I am not convinced wink lol

13. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

Another idea...re-read your own profile! lol

14. jayjay40 profile image67
    jayjay40posted 14 years ago

If you want a laugh read mrwerds hub, it's very funny
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Dickens-Cider

15. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I am thinking that http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Zen-Art-of- … -Beginners  would make you smile a little and you could learn how to nag yourself into a better mood, maybe.  It doesn't work for me because I am a radical self-pity expert!  My friend and I used to have "pity parties" where we would get together and complain about our husbands and then pity each other until we couldn't stand it anymore.  I think a pity party can even be done alone.  However, if this doesn't work, get back to me and I'll write another hub specially for you! lol

I loved it! Hope you liked the comment I left wink

I think my next step is to think about food, a good dinner and some telly will be a good distraction. With all the suggested hubs I feel like I have been productive today in spite of my own negativity, Thanks Guys!

1. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

chicken soup!  yes - and I believe Cagsil wrote a recipe for it, and if you want to make it extra special roast the vegies you're gonna add in the oven before adding them to the soup - its my speciality.  and it always improves my mood because its hot, there are great leftovers and it has all the nutrition you may be lacking that caused you to feel sad.  When I arbitrarily get depressed that's the first thing I look at - my diet - may be lacking leafy greens also!  good luck Kirsten.  Thanks for reading my hub!

16. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

That was a great comment Kirsten - its true that commanding and demanding take so much less time!  Nagging is awfully time-consuming and unless you really enjoy it - its a complete waste of time because statistics prove that naggers do not get good results.  The white cat also makes a nice statement!

17. Implicit Cogito profile image61
    Implicit Cogitoposted 14 years ago

What if certain depressive trends were a function of loss of belief in free will?  Ie, a person may think that things exist in their current state because of forces beyond one's control made them so and no amelioration is possible in the future.

(Not talking about existence of free will, just belief in free will.)

18. profile image0
    Will Bensonposted 14 years ago

Feeling depressed for no apparent reason can indicate a physical problem. Low blood pressure, thyroid problems, or other undiagnosed illness may exist. Might want to see a good MD.

Best of luck.

19. abcd1111 profile image61
    abcd1111posted 14 years ago

Depression is a familiar malady for me. You may just be a little down and it will pass, but if it continues for a couple weeks or longer, you may want to seek some help or have a physical.

In the meantime, I will promote my hubs for humor. If they aren't your style, I won't take it personally. Humor is so subjective.

May I suggest starting with 

http://hubpages.com/hub/Home-Is-Where-the-Dirt-Is

or

http://hubpages.com/hub/Working-Girls

20. profile image0
    BIKTMIAposted 14 years ago

My site is regarding seriously helping others. I would really prefer this to be on your comic sites. As you probably know on those days when you are messed up I know you don't want to read this.

21. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

Hi! I'm not sure I understand you completely. It was a brief hub. But I am here to tell you , there are many many people who feel the way you do. I for one have felt this way and I think it basically tells me one word: depression. Now maybe I'm wrong. Also try reading my hubs on these topics, you may find something you like. I think also this can stem from a dysfunctional upbringing but don't let me be the judge. I just know from my experience, my family led me to self pity because they did the same. Make any sense? :_)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)