LOVE

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (19 posts)
  1. gamergirl profile image86
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

Sorry for the caps.

Please show me evidence of unconditional love in the holy texts of your particular religion.  I don't mean the unconditional love of God (because we all know that those types of scriptures/remarks/comments within holy texts apply really to those who believe in Jesus, Allah, The Flying Spaghetti Monster as "the one true way.")

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

My mom, my dad and my daughter. smile  I could quote unconditional love in a holy book, but you asked not to, unless I missunderstood the question.  -not because i love him/her, but because he/she loves me.  The meditations of our hearts are acceptable in thy sites. -moreless from the bible-

in whatever you do, let there not be hate in your heart. -koran

I read once somewhere, I can't remember where, someone said; "the hardest thing I ever had to do was learn to love myself." 

smile

2. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Interesting that none of the Christian community answered your question. I would look to the Book of Ruth (Old Testament) for a sample of unconditional love. It's a short book and unusually approachable for OT.

3. BDazzler profile image77
      BDazzlerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

In the Bible it says in 1 Corinthians 13, verses 3-7 it says:

3 If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn't love others, I would be of no value whatsoever.

4 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5 or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. 6 It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. 7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

(New Living Translation.)

Maybe 1 John 4:20:
          If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen.
      (New American Standard Translation)

gamergirl: Is this what you were looking for?
      Paraglider: Sorry, I just found this or I would have responded sooner.

1. AEvans profile image72
        AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Not only do the scriptures ring to, but God 's love his self is unconditional when we have fallen short of the glory , he has loved us, Jesus died for us when we all sinned , God loves you no matter what condition you are in, God doesn't hate , he only hates the dislikes of our sins but not us as a person, but he still loves us despite our sin, to me that is as well unconditional LOVE.:big_smile

1. AEvans profile image72
          AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this
    4. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I just wrote my hub on How to be a good dad without being religious.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Good-Dad-Without-Religion

5. Jeromeo profile image61
      Jeromeoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If you read 2 Samuel of the Holy Bible you will read of the love that King Sauls's son Jonathan, had for David.  And the Love that David had for him. But the greater love as written of in this biblical account shows that Jonathan had unconditional love for David.

1. BDazzler profile image77

The follow up for that is pretty cool.  When David consolidated his power, everyone expected him to kill his predecsor's heirs.  But Jonathan's son, he restored on honored, for the love he had for Jonathan. Also in 2 Sam.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
          Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This is nothing guys. When Spock sacrifices his life to save the rest of the crew in Star Trek II:The Wrath of Khan, I was moved to tears.

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the one," has kept me going through many a dark day.

The crew then steals a ship and travels back to where Spock's body is laid to rest and discovers he has been reborn and his Katra or "soul" as some call it, is residing in McCoy to be later re-united with his mortal body. 

Amazing stuff big_smile

That was one of my favorite scenes! I loved how at the end of his life, even this logical rational being strove for something beyond himself.  Beyond the cold logic he had dedicatd his life to. Great example Mark! 

(Yeah, some of my more closed minded bretheren probably don't like that I put star trek stories in with the Holy Book stories, but they didn't like it that I not only played D&D, but was a Dungeon Master.  Boy did they try to save me... 'course I corupted 'em all by playing D&D with my Sunday School class and gettin' 'em all hooked.)

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
              Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL - Good for you.

Just because it is not written in a holy book, does not mean you can't learn something from it. Star Trek has consistently striven to have a strong moral behind their stories. Gene Roddenberry was a genius.

Upon that, we agree completely. Not simply an intellectual genius, but a moral genius as well.   A very rare gift to humainty, for sure.

2. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image59
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 15 years ago

Ms. gamegirl, there are many witnesses for unconditional love in Hindu mythology. Just only one thing here: King Dridarashtra was blind. His wife Gandhari tied her eyes throughout her life, just because she never wanted to see the world which her husband could not see. This shows her unconditional love for her husband. Nowhereelse can we see such a true love.  This comes in Mahabaratha, world's longest religious book.

1. blogdigz profile image57
      blogdigzposted 15 years agoin reply to this

True, lot of sub-stories and messages there smile

2. weblog profile image57
      weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well done smile

3. Make  Money profile image66
    Make Moneyposted 15 years ago

From Ephesians 5

So also ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife, loveth himself.  For no man ever hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, as also Christ doth the church.

4. gamergirl profile image86
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

*bump*

Very interesting quotes, BDazzler.

Anyone else have any? big_smile

I thank you for asking the question, gamergirl... this question, plus Paraglider's agnostic/atheist/beliver hub, plus the discussions on the Antichrist hub by arkwriter got me to thinking (which is, of course, the point!)

So, I wrote this hub:
      http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Greatest-Sin

I would be interested in your comments.

Again, thanks for asking, it made me think!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)