A low hubscore is DEATH

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (36 posts)
  1. paradigm search profile image55
    paradigm searchposted 9 years ago

Been looking around I have. Related Hub listings are a significant source of traffic and income. Many times they are reciprocal; you click on a related hub on your hub, you will then see your related hub on their hub. Not so if your hub has a low hubscore.

I could give personal examples using my hubs, but I'm not in the mood. Besides, folks would want to confirm with their own hubs anyway.

Between the referred account problem, the EC label problem, and now the low hubscore problem...

http://easyread.drugabuse.gov/images/cocaine-addiction.jpg

1. Paul Maplesden profile image78
      Paul Maplesdenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What's the 'referred account' problem Paradigm?

paradigm searchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I probably should not have included that, not in the mood to rehash it.

Meanwhile, it looks like my permanent revenue drop from the Related Hubs problems has already started...

2. janderson99 profile image55
      janderson99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Interesting extract from the blog about the new Hubscore.

"Please keep in mind that HubScore was never intended to be be looked at in a vacuum or as a grade for a particular Hub" Hmmm?

Agreed. That statement is indeed false. Low grade? No Related Hub privileges for you!

What kills me is the hub that got my attention on this received approx 100 organic views in the last 24 hours.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
          Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years agoin reply to this

HOW do you tell the number views in one hour?  Mine are not updated on the accounts page very often - sometimes for days.

For hours, I'd go to GA Land and guesstimate via the hours chart. In this case, re: the 24 hours, I just clicked the hub stats on the hub, selected "Day" (rolling 24), and added up the organic entries. Since I didn't bother with GA Land on this, that's why I said "approx". big_smile

2. flycatcherrr profile image68
            flycatcherrrposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Google Analytics > Real Time

3. tirelesstraveler profile image61
      tirelesstravelerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is really good to know.
      I just purged links that were unpublished from several of my hubs.  I suspect broken links kill hub scores.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

I'd never thought about low scoring hubs not being included in Related Hubs. Not that the Related Hubs section does any good since the labeling - unless most of your hubs have been selected, of course.

I am mostly select-less. Am contemplating the disassembly of around 10 hubs into 30 to 40 website pages.

2. Susana S profile image91
      Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

And your evidence for that is.....?

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
        Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So much has been said about that on other threads. Why not go and read them through?

3. firstcookbooklady profile image84
    firstcookbookladyposted 9 years ago

Whatever!!!!  blah, blah, blah, blah....My lowest score is 50 and my highest score is 72. My score on my picture is 82. All of my hubs claim they are featured and showing up on other people's hubs with the POTENTIAL of being showcased. Time will tell. Why worry... ????

- don't answer that ---

lol

4. janderson99 profile image55
    janderson99posted 9 years ago

It is remarkable how much time, effort and money HP spends on its 'quality' ranking systems which are designed to favor hubs which HP likes and authors which it likes (pets). It is remarkable how much debate and ill feeling and confusion this ranking and scoring system generates among the authors in the forums etc..

Imagine a system without all this stuff, where scores and internal rankings were driven by traffic purely and simply - Where traffic was the bee end of everything with a sting in its tail.

Traffic is all that matters, really,  and it is the only real measure of what Google 'likes' and regards as good quality. [HP admits this by de-featuring low traffic hubs based on the assumption that G hates them]

Second guessing what Google regards as quality is useless and frustrating, especially when there is no transparency with how the scores are devised etc.

Imagine if all the effort HP devotes to scores and internal ranking was devoted to removing all the junk and poorly written hubs (obvious things such as spelling etc.). Doing it properly! Doing it now!

Image if HP imposed tough traffic thresholds (after a 6 month wait to build traffic) and really encouraged traffic as the primary aim. Image if hubscores and hubber scores were based purely on traffic. Its easy if you try. Traffic scores would be transparent - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly traffic stats.

Would hubpages driven purely by traffic be a better more productive place? I think so!

It would encourage writers to write new stuff and re-edit continually as their old stuff showed signs of falling below traffic thresholds. Warnings could be issued for authors to act to lift their traffic prior to removal of hubs with poor traffic. HP could analyze what matters for creating traffic and create traffic-centric advice, rather than promoting capsule-stuffed and bloated stellar hubs in the hope they will get traffic some day [second guessing what G likes].

Imagine!

1. janderson99 profile image55

PS - Hubpro is designed to rewrite and 'stellar -ize' high traffic hubs that are already performing well (G loves them) - Sorry I don't understand this!!
      Back to the sand-pit!

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
        Suzanne Dayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Just a thought - does Hubpages itself have a Murphy's 20/80 rule? Eg if 20% of all our hubs are doing well, maybe only 20% of Hubpages is doing well and to have more, more hubs need to be written? Just occurred to me this morning....

1. relache profile image73
          relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The Pareto Principle is what is also called the 80-20 rule, and yes it totally holds true for HubPages too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle

2. janderson99 profile image55

There is a delicious circularity developing
        => HP promotes stellar hubs with tables, videos, polls etc. that increases dwell time and that are complex and take longer to read
        => QAP scores are based on stellar-ness
        => The new Hubscores are based on QAP and stellar-ness (engagement), not traffic!
        => EC are the pick of the stellar crop
        => EC hubs are promoted in the related hubs and probably dominate the topic pages, appearing first. So EC hubs and stellar-ized hubs will get more internal traffic because HP favors them
        => Hubpro rewrites high traffic hubs to stellar-ize them adding tables, polls, longer content, videos, extra pics, etc. etc.

So soon it will be clear that the pages that get more traffic on HP will be the Stellar ones ! HP will be able to say: "I told you so. Stellar is the Go, it works!"

I beg to differ.

I write simple, concise hubs that satisfy what readers want quickly and easily . I call them 'Jane' hubs not 'Stella' ones. I write to get traffic from Google and other search engines.  I also write for Pinterest traffic (with fabulous images, but otherwise unrelated to stellar-ness). I also like to research stuff and write about it in my yellow sub 'beg-to-differ'.

I believe that 'Jane' hubs are the future, especially with the growing emphasis on mobile traffic (simple, concise is better). [PS Google is to revamp ratings based on mobile readiness and suitability in April 2015!]

Down scope! Dive, Dive, Dive! Back to the salt mine!

Cheers, Enough Already! Have fun!

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
          Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You just might be right and we'll all spend hours paring down our long hubs.

5. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 9 years ago

A low HubScore has always been not good, even before EC or related Hubs were invented.

6. firstcookbooklady profile image84
    firstcookbookladyposted 9 years ago

I am inspired to do a quiz hub, however... you would think that a quiz hub would encourage reader interaction, SINCE they'd be interacting by taking the quiz. Hmm.. and fun, too... WIN/Win... now to think of some questions..

question number 1...

My husband spends time creating quizzes on Facebook. One thing I've learned, people love them. They like to see if they can remember the right answer.

7. paradigm search profile image55

https://i.imgflip.com/ilh2u.jpg

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image81
      LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12262169_f248.jpg

You mean he's at it again???

Now that I've done me, I can now do other Hubbers. But only those Hubbers I truly like, respect, and trust.

Meanwhile for those who are interested...

Hubscore 60: No reciprocal Related Hubs found.

Hubscore 66: Yes, I did find some Related Hubs that reciprocated back.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image81
          LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

On a serious note, I did take a closer look at mine and you are right, several of my lower scoring hubs really have no related reciprocating hubs.

8. paradigm search profile image55

Ya know... With not that much effort, it wouldn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out the exact hubscore demarcation point for when a hub's Related Hub privileges are revoked.

When you figure it out, let me know. Maybe I'll work on a few of mine. Thanks in advance.

9. Kathleen Odenthal profile image88
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

Most of my traffic comes from google... but I feel like I am in the minority here from everything I have read. At least 70% of my traffic comes from Google, and most of the remainder comes from social media.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Mine, too, Kathleen - I rarely promote my hubs - just let them do their thing.  The majority of my traffic is from either Google USA or another Google affiliate.

10. lobobrandon profile image87
    lobobrandonposted 9 years ago

PD, there's some truth to what you're saying, but your opening post should have stressed on the fact that hubs with scores 60 or less aren't reciprocated. I don't have any 60 or lower on this account, so went to my other account with just 2 hubs. There one is 66 and the other 60. The one with 66 is reciprocated a lot and linked to from many other hubs as well.

However, the one with a score of 60 even though the title, keywords, etc are similar to some that appeared as related does not show as related on those hubs at all.

11. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

paradigm and lodobrandon, this was an enlightening exercise. I randomly went through several hubs from lowest hubscores (60s) all the way up to a few high eighties and was surprised to see no reciprocity on most. It seems that score did not matter. I found 2 reciprocated hubs under "Related hubs." This was sad. I have a feeling it had to do with the way my hubs are grouped and low traffic. A lot of my poetry hubs where keywords are picked up by the Related Hubs bot don't match any informational hubs on that subject (hope this makes  sense). Sigh. Also, I rarely see any EC hubs listed under Related Hubs, across the board.

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I played with some of mine, too, and found that the only time I didn't get reciprocity from a link (or a hub down the "circle" one more notch) was with a hub that apparently HAS to "related hubs".  It has only one related link, and that's so far away from the topic it wasn't surprising that it didn't link back.

Which, I think, is what you're saying with your poetry; there just isn't any good choices, so poor ones are made but those hubs DO have good choices for "related" links and use them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)