jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Learning how to forgive yourself.

1. Ivan Hernandez profile image91
    Ivan Hernandezposted 13 days ago

I know that I should spend my time writing articles, but I also need to address something. One of my new year's resolutions was to forgive myself for my past actions. It is in the realm of possibility that it could happen this year, but I keep failing, not because of my environment, but because of the environment I create. I keep failing myself. That was evident on the 26th of December, when I behaved bad because I chose and wanted to, not because other people made me do it. I cursed because I chose to curse, not because the people in the group home restrained me (by the way, they never restrain anyone unless they get hit or threatened by someone). I guess I need to work on myself a little more. So, as for the new year's resolution of forgiving myself, I think it's pretty fair to say that it is hard to forgive myself, since I've never attempted it before. So, what do you think of the subject?

1. faith-hope-love profile image80
      faith-hope-loveposted 13 days agoin reply to this

Forgiving one's self is hardest but once we have accomplished that we will have gained the ability to forgive others. We must always start with ourselves. Don't make the mistake of thinking that forgiving means forgetting. It does not but all of us make mistakes and though we do remember them we do have the propensity to forgive our own foibles. Trust in God and he will come through.

2. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 days ago

I find it very hard to forgive myself too.

3. Onusonus profile image79
    Onusonusposted 13 days ago

Never dwell on your own shortcomings, there's plenty of other people around to do that for you.

faith-hope-loveposted 11 days agoin reply to this

Well said my experience has proven this titbit of wisdom.

4. Sunshyne1975 profile image88
    Sunshyne1975posted 12 days ago

Forgiving myself seems to be the biggest challenge I have. Actually forgiving others had been hard for me too. I did get the best advice a couple of months ago on forgiveness that I have ever received. He said forgiveness is not forgetting or saying that the actions were ok, but simply letting go of the negative and recognizing that it was not ok but it's in the the past and to let go so that you can move on.

faith-hope-loveposted 11 days agoin reply to this

Sunshyne. we cannot change the past nor predict the future We have only the present to work with. "Eleanor Roosevelt" said it better. This is a direct quote from her; "Yesterday is History. To-morrow is Mystery. To-day is a Gift. That is why we call it "The Prenent". Take her words to heart.

5. Sunshyne1975 profile image88
    Sunshyne1975posted 11 days ago

Thank you smile I needed that today

working