I often feel tired during the day despite getting plenty of sleep. What can I do

Jump to Last Post 51-100 of 217 discussions (222 posts)
  1. dorothy0328 profile image76
    dorothy0328posted 7 years ago

I used to often have the same problem but over the years I have noticed there can be several contributors to having energy issues. If you are eating improperly or drinking heavily these can be two major reasons why you are experiencing this problem. Don't eat late at night or just before bed and eat a healthy meal. Try having grilled chicken or fish and fresh vegetables as opposed to canned veggies or processed meat. Exercising is also great. Go for a short early morning or  evening walk and do a short cycle of different style exercise such as sit ups or other stretch routines in the morning.  Also stretching for ten minutes daily helps get your arteries opened up helping the blood flow this is also good for preventing heart attacks. Try taking at least a multi vitamin and a vitamin C daily and avoid caffeine. Instead of coffee have a glass of cranberry, orange, apple or grapefruit juice. After your morning stretch and/or walk eat a healthy breakfast such as oats or a high fiber cereal a good breakfast is always great for not only your energy level but also for brain function. After eating and exercising have a nice warm shower this will open your pores making you feel more energised in a sense. One more tip I can give is put yourself on a schedule daily and stick to it that will make your body more used to your normal daily activities and you will be more energetic if you avoid sleeping in often. Try waking at 7 or so in the morning daily as opposed to 9 or 10 AM. Try reading this hub it has some useful information that may help you as well. http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Improve- … althy-Diet   I hope this helps you to a degree good luck to you.

2. megwinkler profile image59
    megwinklerposted 7 years ago

Vitamin D is an awesome help when you're lacking energy.  Good luck!

3. Cheesing a Dream profile image60
    Cheesing a Dreamposted 7 years ago

You probably should start your day with healthy breakfast and some excersize.For example,I get up every morning at 8 or 9 o'clock,I eat my breakfast and then go to the gym.When I come back home...I must say that I feel excellent.In my opinion,that's the best way to start your day and to feel more energetic,even if you haven't had enough hours sleep.smile

4. profile image48
    copper85posted 7 years ago

You may just be one of those people who need more sleep. Or as some suggest lacking vitamins.  I am a diabetic so what I eat is crucial to my health. I have found that eating carbohydrates such as bread and potatoes makes me feel sleepy, and I have to sleep this tiredness off. It could be something in your diet. If I feel the need for a sleep, usually in the afternoon I have one. When I wake, I do so slowly, then get up, have a drink, then set about doing jobs around the house or going outside for some fresh air.  In other words I sleep when I need to, not just because it is evening and bedtime.This also applies to breakfast, I eat what I feel like eating, if it is left over curry from the night before so be it,it doesn't have to be cereal just because it is breakfast time, in fact I feel more benefit eating this way and less as the day goes on, finishing with cereal at evening meal. I do not feel this way every day, but when I do I go with the flow and have found no ill effects, and I still sleep at night. I have found that when I go to bed I always read for a while to relax myself, it doesn't take long for me to feel the need to get my head down. I had my thyroid checked and this was negative. One supplement that is said to be important is QCo10, particularly for people on statins, it repairs cells in the body and gives overall feel good factor. I am 57 years old, and a former farmer's wife so have lots of wear and tear, you do not say how old you are, make sure you are not suffering from M.E. (used to be known as yuppy 'flu)

5. laddriggers profile image76
    laddriggersposted 7 years ago

Have you spoken to your doctor about this?  Fatigue can be a sign of many things - thyroid problems, depression, sleep apnea... you may want to get some things checked out.

Also, do you drink a lot of coffee?  Sometimes, cutting out caffeine is necessary to make your body "reboot" and realize that a caffeinated you is not the same as energetic you.  Otherwise you will feel tired any time you don't have access to caffeine.

6. Mel Jay profile image90
    Mel Jayposted 7 years ago

Exercise is key in fending off tiredness.  But I wonder if you are drinking enough water? Chronic dehydration can make anyone tired.  The funny thing is that sometimes you can be dehydrated and not know it.

7. profile image51
    holytomolyposted 7 years ago

There could be many reasons for feeling tired. If you are eating too many carbohydrates/sugars, you can have highs and lows throughout the day for your body adjusting to the spikes in sugar intake. There are so many preservatives in our food. Get back to nature and eat only things that are grown (organic is best) and animals that are fed whole grains or grass.  Say goodbye to chips, pretzels, ice cream, cheese, sodas and yes, alcohol too.  Our livers are suffering from trying to filter all the preservatives and "fake foods" we eat. Our livers can't keep up and tiring us out.  Try it for a week and see how your energy level increases.

8. Jowy2000 profile image95
    Jowy2000posted 7 years ago

exercise. caffeine. purpose. Try 1 or all imo.

9. profile image0
    femmeflashpointposted 7 years ago

The more exercise I get, the more energy I have, as long as it's exercise I enjoy.  It works even better when I have have inspiring and energy inducing music to listen to while I'm at it.

When I maintain a routine of this (and I have for a long while now), I have more energy, I sleep better, and mentally I stay more focused and my thoughts are much more positive.

10. shovelhead13 profile image60
    shovelhead13posted 7 years ago

Physical fitness makes a major difference in life. With it one doesn't allways feel tired and worn out. The muscles can carry one through real tough times without any extra stress felt.

11. Bobri Dobri profile image72
    Bobri Dobriposted 7 years ago

It depends on reason why you feel tired. With assumption that you don't have any serious diseases, I know 2 frequent reasons of it: first is low blood pressure and second is lack of water. Low blood pressure is not serious disease, it can be your body feature, or it can be because of significant changes in weather. To feel better you should increase your blood pressure. What helps:
    1. Coffee or strong sweet black tea
    2. Physical activities or even very good visualization of doing it
    3. Salty food
    4. Course of special supplements which contain ginseng or eleutherococcus

If you live in region with hot and dry climate, or it is just very warm day, you may suffer lack of water, then:
    1. Drink at least 8 glasses of water per day. Important note: it is much better to do very little sips.
    2. Drink special electrolyte drinks, which works faster

12. Alisa22 profile image60
    Alisa22posted 7 years ago

drink more water, don't eat a big lunch with a lot of carbohydrates, make sure you are getting up and moving around during the day, keep moving... stay away from turkey sandwiches at lunchtime, eat an apple... managing stressors well? Vitamins and whole foods...

13. productcorner profile image60
    productcornerposted 7 years ago

Good day!  I think one thing i can advise you is Fern-C.  Just simply try it and you'll feel how it works for you.  I've tried it for real and it's quite okay.  For more details, feel free to ask me. smile

14. saideepa profile image60
    saideepaposted 7 years ago

I also feel the same sometims. My husband advised me to do the following.
    1. Drink plenty of water. gas formed could make you feel tired.
    2. eat regularly on all days.
    3. take vitamin tablets but ask the doctor of course
    4. get up at 5 A.M. every day and spend a few minutes in meditation. you will feel energetic.
    I am now more active.

15. krisingreen profile image60
    krisingreenposted 7 years ago

hours of sleep should be 8-10 hours only any more than that will really make you feel tired. Also try not to stay up too long, breaking your circadian rhythm can cause disruption in your sleep-wake pattern.
    anyway,
    whenever I feel tired because of oversleeping
    I drink lemonade. smile
    It's a natural energizer.
    You can also try waking up early and exercise
    while the air is still clean.
    Of listen to a good (positive) upbeat song to keep your mood high.

16. el theory profile image56
    el theoryposted 7 years ago

Drink more water. If you tend to drink soda and other sugary drinks during the day it can make you feel tired and sluggish.

17. profile image51
    enowbiposted 7 years ago

take an hour each day and make some sports.

18. Inventurist profile image72
    Inventuristposted 7 years ago

Sleep is only part of the answer. If we are assuming you are physically otherwise OK, you need to see what your oxygen level is in your blood. Low O2 will make you drag - and can be a result of anemia (eat things with iron in them), not breathing well, or environmental pollution - carbon monoxide at low levels can cause a lot of troubles like this.

19. russianandeuro profile image61
    russianandeuroposted 7 years ago

Relax your mind before you sleep so you won't feel tired & be more energized!

20. leeroper profile image59
    leeroperposted 7 years ago

I agree with exercise, also ensure you get plenty of natural sugars found in juice and fruit to keep you energised and full of vitamins.

If you’re looking for a power house of a breakfast or lunch, beans and eggs on toast that will keep you going!

21. daywriter profile image61
    daywriterposted 7 years ago

Yes,   something in your diet. If your blood sugar level is close to the normal high side - 100, you will feel sleepy all the time. You better cut your carbs intake.

22. Yehyapal profile image60
    Yehyapalposted 7 years ago

1. Sleep less - sleeping more can sometimes hurt. Although it is required after a long wedding or party.

2. Exercise - exercise makes your day so much better. Exercise after you wake up. Never before you sleep or at night. That is the time you rest, that is the time you're backbone is contracting, that is the time you have already wasted most of your energy etc. etc.

3. Balanced Diet - very important thing here. Make sure you are eating a balanced diet. Eat a few red apples.

4. The Way You Sleep - not just talking about your position but also the colors of your room, the time you go to bed, where you sleep, what do you do just before sleeping. You may want to sleep around with 2 or 3 pillows, with a medium-core mattress. Don't pick too soft or too hard.

5. Illness - do you suffer from depression? This could be a symptom.

6. Be Happy - being happy will eliminate depression another thing that bring your whole life down. Do something fun!

7. Take A Week Off - do you feel better after that? Decrease stress from work etc.

23. ThePelton profile image64
    ThePeltonposted 7 years ago

Are you consuming too much sugar?  Sugar is a curious material.  Consume a little, and it adds energy, consume it in excess, and it makes you tired.  Don't just take my word for it, ask your Doctor about sugar.  Diabetes can be caused by, or aggravated by too much sugar.  Two of my Aunts died of late-onset diabetes, and my oldest brother has it as well.  I admit I like to eat doughnuts and drink Cokes that are loaded with sugar, but sometimes I can feel the effect of excess sugar building up in the blood.

24. profile image51
    paulinukposted 7 years ago

go to a sleep clinic you might have seep apnea

25. profile image51
    Ourfamily2yoursposted 7 years ago

I have had this same problem.  Doctors couldn't seem to figure it out either, so I did some research on my own and found that when I took a complete B vitamin I had so much more energy.  I also found when I got up the first time, do not lay back down.  20 minutes of exercise whether is was a walk or a workout it kept me energized for the day.

26. sam3m profile image60
    sam3mposted 7 years ago

couple of things to check:
         depression-check with your doctor to examine any symptoms
         sleep apnea-check the symptoms, see your doc. for a sleep test

27. matth71 profile image60
    matth71posted 7 years ago

i usually opt for a good cup of coffee.  also the energy shot drinks seem to work very well.

28. shane drawdy profile image31
    shane drawdyposted 7 years ago

You should probably excercise a little more, not to inquire that your a little heavyset or anything, but excercise could help. Also, I agree with what "crankalicious" says. There could also be a number of causes for it, but I would go and talk to a nutritionist.

29. jenbrvly14 profile image59
    jenbrvly14posted 7 years ago

Try Eating much in the morning. and get good supplements and energy drinks.. maybe you need to change your way of life..

30. profile image80
    RichBestposted 7 years ago

You can try to consume some drinks that have isotonic or electrolytes in them. They will raise your energy bar quite considerably. Try it, I've experienced it myself even though I didn't believe at first that such drinks work indeed because of the isotonic or electrolytes contained in them.

31. ultimatekboxing profile image61
    ultimatekboxingposted 7 years ago

Sleep is only part of your overall wellbeing and how well you function throughout the day. You need to exercise and eat well if you want to feel good throughout the day. For example, a snack that's high in sugar but low in any other nutritional content (like protein) will just make your bloody sugar rocket, and you'll feel even groggier after a few hours.

32. profile image51
    mandyfarrugia11posted 7 years ago

Drink more milk, excercises, making long jump. That's it.

33. Financial Help profile image60
    Financial Helpposted 7 years ago

There are a couple of things that can be done. First off, eat more veggies. Popeye ate spinach as a symbol to teach children to eat vegetables for this reason and a few others. Next, make sure that you are eating enough. Many people rely on the average of 2000 calories needed daily for everyone when this is not the case. Check your basil metabolic rate online and make sure that your calorie intake is what your body needs it to be. Next, go get some excessive. Remember an object in motion stays in motion but an object at rest stays at rest! Finally, don't sleep too much! Sleeping too much can cause you to be sleepy throughout the day. A good 8 hours of sleep should be fine.

34. Working Mum profile image61
    Working Mumposted 7 years ago

How many hours exactly you are getting your 'plenty of sleep'?  Need to define whether it is too much or too little for you as it may vary from each person to another.  When you feel tired, observe in what situation, when, what time which you feel tired during the day?  Usually, if you do something that you are not interested in or have no passion in it, you're actually bored but you may think that you are tired.  It is normal to feel tired after having lunch also, especially a big one!   For those working in a office, you should know what I mean :-)

35. profile image50
    rocketromzposted 7 years ago

Go outside do some stretching and atleast 15 mins. exercise.....

36. Louisiana Jobs profile image59
    Louisiana Jobsposted 7 years ago

Exercise if you don't already. Get those endorphins kicking and you will feel energized. Also try eating a healthy diet and maybe supplementing your diet with vitamins. If you continue to feel lethargic I would probably visit my doctor just to make sure everything is ok. Good luck.

37. mambuayjunaid profile image60
    mambuayjunaidposted 7 years ago

always start your day with a smile and happy thoughts.. exercise and eat plenty of healthy foods.  think your loved ones.. they are your strength.smile

38. smileymom profile image53
    smileymomposted 7 years ago

Anything more than what we need is not good. Take enough amount of sleep, proper diet and exercise.That will make you more energetic.

39. Ultimate Hubber profile image67
    Ultimate Hubberposted 7 years ago

My mother had been going through a similar situation lately. She felt lethargic throughout the day despite taking rest. One of her doctors then suggested a drinkable injection of Vitamin D.
    With just one dose, her condition has improved. You have to wait at least 2 weeks before you give second dose of the injection.

40. chrystal76 profile image58
    chrystal76posted 7 years ago

Sleep less and excercise.  I use to be the same.  Just felt I didnt have enough energy to excercise too.
    I started waking up at 4:15 (which was like punishment initially) to go to gym.  After about 3 weeks of enduring, I started feeling better rested even though I was getting less sleep in reality.  I now hate missing gym, because the days I miss it, I feel tired and bothered.

41. profile image42
    deacharliebrownposted 7 years ago

It depends, if you sleep too much, when you wake up you may feel drowsy or even tired.

42. tutoy profile image34
    tutoyposted 7 years ago

if you are physically fit and healthy , is their any worry or a situation  that is at the back of your mind ,perhaps you are      not aware of it that is manifesting itself.

43. Jacob_Jube profile image60
    Jacob_Jubeposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5109325_f260.jpg

You should do ... (though I am also lazy but do not feel tired)

# Exercise (Stretching should be part of it).

# Drink plenty of water and fluid.

# Add fresh fruits and green vegetable.

# Maintain your sleeping routing properly (Best is 09:30 PM to 04:30 AM)

Do it for 15 days and you will feel the change ...

44. Shreevie profile image60
    Shreevieposted 7 years ago

I used to suffer the same tiredness and spoke to my dietician about it. He suggested I was eating too many food items containing sugar and not enough containing protein - especially the first meal of the day: breakfast.
    I now have a small piece of cheese with my breakfast and it has made a huge difference. Try it - it might work for you too.

45. supplies expert profile image60
    supplies expertposted 7 years ago

exercise, the more oxygen you get into your body the better it is for you.  Also depending on what you eat, and how often you eat.  Try your best to eat small snacks throughout the day instead of 2 or 3 large meals.  You'll feel more energized.  Also keep drinking fluids because you need to keep hydrated or else you'll be tired as wel..

46. profile image0
    Hui (蕙)posted 7 years ago

Usually, I have the same problem, but when I completely focus my mind on something I am really interested in, I never feel sleepy. However, what I need to do is not necessarily what I like to do. So, the only thing I should do to get over this trouble is to make myself like what I am doing. One great master had great words, " It is no use doing what you like, you got to like what you do."

1. carlajbehr profile image90
      carlajbehrposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I was almost comatose one spring - was falling asleep sitting up at my desk - couldn't stay awake so I'd got to a file room and nap on my break.   The culprit - low, low vitamin D level.  It was 4 and I believe it's supposed to be around 25 or above.

47. TheWhisper profile image59
    TheWhisperposted 7 years ago

Hmm... I had this problem as well and I found a good breakfast usually keeps spirits up.

48. Trigger9449 profile image61
    Trigger9449posted 7 years ago

Exercise is a great start, but a lack of nutrition might be a problem also. Try taking a daily vitamin.

49. Spiritual Growth profile image78
    Spiritual Growthposted 7 years ago

Hi there, Although there are many different reasons for this, here is my opinion in a hub I wrote which I hope you find helpful!
    http://hubpages.com/hub/tiredness_all_the_time
    Love and blessings, Caroline xxx

50. JT Walters profile image68
    JT Waltersposted 7 years ago

3pm is a low time for everyone in a day.  First eat breakfast in the morning if you eat nothing else all day. Second try to eat lunch and a low fat one.  Third get plenty of exercise and drink plenty of water druin the week and finally if all else fails a caffiene drink (coffee, tea or soda) will usually do the trick but be prepared to crash early in the evenings.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)