I often feel tired during the day despite getting plenty of sleep. What can I do

Jump to Last Post 151-200 of 217 discussions (222 posts)
  1. samtenabray profile image59
    samtenabrayposted 12 years ago

try 30 minutes of exercise four times a week and cut down on the caffeine and sugar.

2. cobrien profile image61
    cobrienposted 12 years ago

Drink more water. Just 5% of dehydration can make you 30% less productive and make you feel sluggish. By the time you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated.

3. penelopae profile image64
    penelopaeposted 12 years ago

When that happens to me, my iron is low. Have your doctor run blood work. It could be everything from needing some B12 to needing to add 15 minutes of exercise to your daily schedule -- even if it's just a brisk walk. Good luck!

4. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

Strangely enough, the more energy I use the more I feel like I gain. Since I started running I've felt much more energetic all day long.

5. chiefmomofficer profile image60
    chiefmomofficerposted 12 years ago

I have always found that exercise helps to increase energy.  Kind of weird, I know, since one can feel worn out after a workout, but it builds stamina, and I think that leads to increased energy.  Sometimes too, feeling down emotionally can make you feel tired, so finding things that stimulate you and make you feel happier or more fulfilled can help you feel more energetic.

6. profile image36
    LORD ENKIposted 12 years ago

Try smoking some METH or CRACK that should help!

7. profile image0
    comp3820posted 12 years ago

Ok, so I went to answer this question and found out it had a TON of answers. Since I've looked into this before, I went through and check all the answers, then tallied them up to see what was the best answer. Apparently, I came to the right conclusion myself, since I can personally verify the top 6, as well as 12 and 20.

1.    Get More Exercise
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    2.    Check Your Nutrition/Diet
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    3.    Get More Vitamins
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    4.    Change Your Sleep Habits (more/less)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    5.    It’s Due to Lack of Water/Electrolytes
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    6.    Stay Positive/Motivation
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>
    7.    Relax
    >>>>>>>>>
    8.    You Have Low Iron
    >>>>>>>>>
    9.    Get a Sugar/Caffeine Burst
    >>>>>>>>>
    10.    It Could be Your Thyroid
    >>>>>>>>
    11.    What about Sleep Apnea
    >>>>>>>>
    12.    Eat Breakfast
    >>>>>>>
    13.    It might be Depression
    >>>>>
    14.    Try Some Yoga/Meditation
    >>>>
    15.    Check Your Medication
    >>>
    16.    Drugs
    >>>
    17.    It’s Low Melatonin /Reduce EMF Sources
    >>
    18.    Try a Splash of Water in the Face
    >>
    19.    Get a new Mattress
    >>
    20.    Introduce Naps during the day
    >>
    21.    A Sedentary Job can cause it
    >>
    22.    You Might Have Low blood pressure
    >>
    23.    Check your Weight
    >
    24.    You Might Have an Allergy
    >
    25.    Try some Ginseng
    >
    26.    Get a Detox
    >
    27.    It’s a Psychic Attack!
    >

8. Will1015 profile image60
    Will1015posted 12 years ago

Eating right is a major factor. I realize that is hard to do sometimes, so you can try to add supplements to your diet.

I use vitamin supplements (specifically FRS Healthy Energy). The antioxidant boost increases your body's ability to produce energy, and naturally raise your metabolism. Unlike diet pills and energy drinks, it doesn't give you a jolt of energy. Instead, allows your body to sustain it's natural energy throughout the day.

9. i_am_monk profile image60
    i_am_monkposted 12 years ago

Exercise, drink coffee and go to sleep for a consistent time each night.

10. tswilson profile image60
    tswilsonposted 12 years ago

Exercise can be helpful.  If you have a poor diet, try going to a more well-balanced, low sugar diet.  Sometimes too much sleep can make a person lethargic as well, maybe try cutting back an hour and see how you feel.

11. profile image52
    rbcdirposted 12 years ago

i am facing a same problem and recently got to know that it is all because of our mental state of mind- for me it was because of excess thought
    in order to over come you need to free your mind from thought
    go for medations
    do it for 15 days for at least 1 hours an day
    you will get a good result

make you be happy
    thanks

12. Nicola Tweedie profile image60
    Nicola Tweedieposted 12 years ago

Not sure if this has been said, but being dehydrated can make you feel very tired - make sure you are getting enough to drink (beyond coffee, tea and other stimulants/diuretics!).

13. Etherealenigma profile image69
    Etherealenigmaposted 12 years ago

I would suggest reading a few of my articles. I am a massage therapist, and I study alot about the body and natural health, so you may find these helpful. http://etherealenigma.hubpages.com/hub/ … ur-Health; http://etherealenigma.hubpages.com/hub/ … em-Health; http://etherealenigma.hubpages.com/hub/ … Of-Toxins.
    Your problem may be coming from several sources, and my articles talk about them. It is simpler to send you to read those, than re-write them here to answer you. GB

14. denkmuskel profile image61
    denkmuskelposted 12 years ago

People search for advice on health issues on the internet and receive an amateurs counsel that could lead them away from the true source of the problem. read more

15. Eliminate Cancer profile image60
    Eliminate Cancerposted 12 years ago

As someone who fought incredible fatigue after radiation treatment, I can empathize with the challenge of fighting constant fatigue even after getting plenty of sleep.  I wrote a hub about the few things that brought my energy back:

3 Simple Ways to Increase Energy Levels: http://eliminatecancer.hubpages.com/hub … rgy-Levels

16. profile image0
    Team Leaderposted 11 years ago

Hello danmayerisgod,

First of all I would recommend you see a doctor to establish if this is a medical or psychological condition. You can also go to a sleep clinic where they can check your sleep pattern.

Other then that I would suggest you have a healthy diet, get up in the morning and do a bit of stretching, yoga or Tai-Chi. Rev yourself up with affirmative thoughts and statements and do an hour of sport every evening.

I would be curious to find out how you are getting on, please be so kind to keep me posted.

Your 'Team Leader'

17. connorj profile image70
    connorjposted 10 years ago

Exercise, exercise, exercise... Increase the BDNF to your brain by increasing your exercise significantly. You become energized by aerobic exercise. The increase in BDNF energizes your body... Read Brain Rules authored by Dr. John Medina...

18. profile image0
    Marntzuposted 10 years ago

Exercise, take B-vitamins, drink tea. Yerba matte tea is my "big guns" for solving the tired issue. if your are still tired after that you may want to talk to a doctor.

19. profile image53
    Mikeomearapensacoposted 10 years ago

Watch your diet, get some exercise.  You also might want to get a sleep study done to ensure you are getting a good sleep at night.

20. CARIBQUEEN profile image63
    CARIBQUEENposted 10 years ago

This question would have received many answers, but in my case the same thing happens to me sometimes.  The solution for me was:  mild exercise in the morning, such as stretching and walking; a good multivitamin; eating well ( veges, fruits and less starch); getting at least 7 to 8 hours sleep (there is such a thing as oversleep, which can also leave you tired).  This helped me.

21. Crissylite profile image77
    Crissyliteposted 10 years ago

You might want to talk with a doctor, but taking vitamins and specific minerals help. Also exercise gives me an energy boost. A change in diet may help too.

22. Rosana Modugno profile image73
    Rosana Modugnoposted 10 years ago

Sounds like you're stressed out.  If you exercise regularly, don't smoke, are in healthy shape, then are you depressed?  Is this something that happens to you every day or only some days?  Maybe it's your job?  It could be an emotional issue, not physical, which is why I brought up being depressed.

As long as you are emotionally and physically healthy, there's nothing wrong with taking a power nap.  If you work, use it on your lunch or breaks.  A quick nap recharges your batteries.  Just make sure you set your cell phone to wake you. lol

23. tastiger04 profile image69
    tastiger04posted 10 years ago

I have this problem sometimes as well.  Some advice given to me was to drink a lot of water, and to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables of different colors.  Of course, a cup of coffee in them mornings doesn't hurt either!

24. profile image57
    hibiscus1posted 10 years ago

Good sleep alone is not enough. Check for the list below. These could be major reasons as I also felt the same till some time back.
    1. You could be anemic.
    2. You could be constipated; chronic constipation causes extreme fatigue as you accumulate toxins.
    3. Are you overweight?
    4. Are you having a very rich dinner and that too quite late.
    5. Are you skipping breakfast or having too much of junk food without any nutrition.
    6. Are you drinking very less water. Water is the elixir of life, do not skip it.
    7. Are you taking too much of caffeine; not good.
    I hope it will help you more than anything else. Also keep your activity levels high in form of walking or other means of physical exercises.

25. richardbrown81 profile image80
    richardbrown81posted 10 years ago

Low energy can be cuased by a few thing other then sleep.   Not having any energy could be aslo described other ways.  Are you exhusted, bored, apathetic, not interested, or sleepy?
    Depressionn is at the top of the list for having low energy.  Exercise is your best cure for that.  Exercise is many times more effective then medication.
    A diet high in saturated fat or low in b vitamins can cuase it.  Stop eating fast food, anything deep fried, or oil.  If your a vegatarian-or-vegan, find foods high in b vitamins like blue berries.  You could also consider eating meat wink
    If your bored, then just start doing something, even if it's not very interesting.  Boredom is not caused by having nothing to do.  It's cuased by an unwillingness to do it.  Try to find something that you feel is usefull, that is a sure fire way to cure boredom.
    Exhuastion can be cause by things you enjoy doing.  If your wondering why your exhuasted then it is probably emotional exhastion.  This can be cuased by thing you enjoy doing and being around people that you love and cherrish.  It's simply that there is tomuch going on.  Try relaxing with them, not every encounter has to be a moster bash.
    A healthy diet and exercise is the best advice i can give you, from your description.  If nothing i mentioned above rings a bell, then your problem could very likely be a medical one; consult a doctor.

26. Rosie writes profile image83
    Rosie writesposted 10 years ago

You may be vitamin D deficient.  The easiest way to fix this is to go outside for about 15 minutes a day.  There are supplements but I don't know how effective they are.  You also may be anemic (low iron) and you can take iron supplements or eat foods rich in iron.  I suffer from both of these conditions and am able to manage them well.

27. Propenquir profile image60
    Propenquirposted 10 years ago

Obviously if you're not sleeping between 7 and 10 hours every night then a lack of sleep doesn't exactly help. But even factors like how you sleep and your bedclothes can make you feel tired too.

28. BizGenGirl profile image89
    BizGenGirlposted 10 years ago

Day in and day out, people roll out of bed after hitting the snooze button at least a dozen times and then spend the rest of their days chasing after the energy they thought they started the day out with, but never really had in the first place.
    ... read more

29. jfklagaurdia profile image57
    jfklagaurdiaposted 10 years ago

If you have time to get plenty of sleep, than you should find time to do some exercise, maybe get to the gym. Talk to your doctor about your eating habits. Sometimes eating certain foods will make you feel sluggish and tired. Depending on your age you might want to possibly look into supplements, like vitamins for example.

30. enamateur profile image59
    enamateurposted 10 years ago

It could be an iron deficiency. A healthy diet with more iron can boost your energy levels. I'm no doctor but that's what WebMD says, and I've had this problem too.

31. rohanfelix profile image81
    rohanfelixposted 10 years ago

I had the problem... The doc told me that I drank too little water everyday... 5 litres of water is a must daily, and 6 if you work in an airconditioned room. Dehydration is the major cause of tiredness. The lack of water will get to you without you even realizing it.

32. licketysplit profile image59
    licketysplitposted 10 years ago

Your diet is probably contributing to this - I used to have the same problem when I used to eat high-sugar crap. I switched to a high-protein, low-calorie, low-carb diet and have a lot more energy now. Cutting sugar out of your diet will help and it's a pretty painless cut to make. If you drink soda, replace it with water or coffee.

Exercising will also help. I go to the gym almost every day for about an hour nowadays and I don't get tired during the day like I used to.

33. danielklein profile image60
    danielkleinposted 10 years ago

Ginseng pills and exercising helped me out.

34. Kolin Harrison profile image60
    Kolin Harrisonposted 10 years ago

I felt the same way for quite a while. Part of my problem may have been that my schedule was so weird because of graveyard shifts. However, recently I have started to wake up early and try to go to bed early. I have found that doing this, even though I thought I'd still be tired because some nights I don't go to bed as early as I'd like, I have had more energy and haven't felt as tired throughout the day. Early to bed, early to rise.

35. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 10 years ago

This is an interesting one, as tired people do not generally sleep well. In which case, it may be better to look at Haemoglobin or other Iron-related problems. Take also a thyroid function test; Look at diet or lack of balanced diet. You can visit a Kinesiologist, they can be very good at finding the problem. Try T.A.S.K.

There are many reasons for chronic fatigue but you seem to sleep very well. So I will bypass this. Try exercise like running or swimming. They may feel tiring in the beginning but will improve your energy with time.
    There are a couple more illnesses which can make you tired even if you sleep well. Visit your General Practitioner, ask for a full blood profile and discuss your case. Higher blessings.

36. jemuelO profile image87
    jemuelOposted 10 years ago

There are several factors to consider in order to know why you always feel tired during daytime (despite the fact that you had plenty of sleep). Do have a balanced diet? It is always important to be conscious with what we eat. Protein-rich foods and carbohydrates are dubbed as energy boosters. You must consult a nutritionist with this. The environment or surrounding can also affect your performance and make you feel tired. If you are surrounded with cheerful people, and have lesser stress regarding your work, then your energy will also be lifted up.

Have a regular exercise. It will make you feel revitalized. A short period of lifting, running or stretching will do.
    I have written a hub about this topic. You can read this if you want : http://jemuelo.hubpages.com/hub/12-Effe … our-Energy

Hope it helps you. Goodluck!

37. Roy Savage profile image59
    Roy Savageposted 10 years ago

It highly depends upon your "Life Style".  What do you eat?  Do you exercise?  What do you do for a living?  There is so much more to energy that sleep.  I find that not only having a regular sleep pattern helps but also the types of food I eat through out the day, the amount of water I drink, and getting a daily sweat for at least 30 minutes a day, makes a huge difference in my energy level.  And the great thing about it is that you don't need caffeine, energy drinks or crack to achieve energy.  It's all a natural process.  Good luck.

38. icv profile image51
    icvposted 10 years ago

Engage in serious hobbies. writing or reading whatever you like... practicing of physical exercises in all the morning is too better to be more energetic

39. Alandrea Winters profile image59
    Alandrea Wintersposted 10 years ago

Take a look at your diet. what are you eating throughout the day that may be making you feel sluggish, also too much sleep can cause you to be drowsy throughout the day. it sounds crazy i know but it true. another reason for fatigue could be activity throughout the day, if you have a routine you will become tired and energized at around the same time throughout the day. try putting yourself on a schedule, this can be difficult if you have a job that requires unstructured hours but that could also help.

40. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 10 years ago

It could be caused by snoring, or perhaps you're just not sleeping as well as you think you are. I'd consult my doctor if I were you.

41. profile image53
    tdas345posted 10 years ago

Exercise is probably part of it, but you should also see a nutritionist. Odds are good that there's something in your diet that's causing it.

42. WiccanSage profile image92
    WiccanSageposted 10 years ago

I always say it's a good idea to get a check up.

For almost 2 years I dealt with fatigue which I blamed on everything from my mattress to my diet. Turned out to be an auto immune disease.

A check up and blood works is always a good idea and then consider other factors (diet, exercise, are you getting enough sleep- and productive sleep at that)

43. Suzanne Day profile image94
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

Quit smoking and alcohol, exercise more, eat more fresh fruit and veg and give yourself time in your day for extra naps. If that doesn't work after a few weeks, go get a doctor's advice.

44. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 10 years ago

Try making small changez in your diet. No cordial or Soft orange Juice or Juice concentrate.

45. Mr Med profile image58
    Mr Medposted 10 years ago

make some sport . go for picnics , have a cold shower

46. literal profile image72
    literalposted 10 years ago

There may be a more complex reason to your ailment.  Perhaps a complete physical at your local medical centre will put your mind at rest about this.

47. profile image58
    spock28posted 10 years ago

Go ahead and sleep more !!  Think  positive and do what you like.

48. dailytop10 profile image85
    dailytop10posted 10 years ago

Consider a 3-mile jog every day. Start with 1 mile/slow pace for a week and lengthen your route weekly until you are comfortable with 3 miles. It's my secret to pump me up every morning and increase my productivity. Just make sure to skip once a week to allow your muscles to rest.

49. alamgir1991 profile image60
    alamgir1991posted 10 years ago

you want to take Physical Exercise  . Because it have more of benefit
    Physical exercise is any bodily activity that enhances or maintains physical fitness and overall health and wellness. It is performed for various reasons including strengthening muscles and the cardiovascular system,  athletic skills, weight loss or maintenance, as well as for the purpose of enjoyment. Frequent and regular physical exercise  the immune system, and helps prevent the "diseases of affluence" such as heart disease, cardiovascular disease, Type 2 diabetes and obesity.

50. Rebecca Furtado profile image60
    Rebecca Furtadoposted 10 years ago

Excercise even if you do not want to. Take a 15 minute walk. Make sure you are getting protein and slow carbs( avoid white bread, white pasta, white carbs of any sort). Avoid white sugar and go for a natural sugar in fruit if your blood sugar is low. Hydrate with cold water. If you must have a small cup of coffee but not sugar. Take a power nap for about 15 minutes. Use B vitamins if you are not getting enough in your diet. Have your iron level checked if you avoid red meat. Drink green tea but avoid the supplements because they have been linked to liver problems.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)