I often feel tired during the day despite getting plenty of sleep. What can I do

Jump to Last Post 101-150 of 217 discussions (222 posts)
  1. profile image50
    nethanny1990posted 7 years ago

Tiredness is one of the symptoms of some diseases like diabetes,anemia,hypothyroidism,side effects of some medicines.Its better to see a doctor for better discussion of this diseases.As of now,try yoga and meditation to energize your mind and body,drink plenty of water,exercise regularly,have a balanced diet and avoid processed foods.

2. profile image0
    u01dtj6posted 7 years ago

Exercise more. Are you a smoker? Smoking can make you feel tired.

3. profile image0
    MicahBear78posted 7 years ago

Eat almonds or any other crunchy healthy snacks.

4. hazelbrown profile image87
    hazelbrownposted 7 years ago

I've felt like that a lot over the years.  Things to try:

1.  Eat small amounts of protein (nuts, hard boiled eggs, meat) throughout the day.

2.  Drink more water

3.  Eliminate foods to which you are sensitive:  for me, it's gluten.  Common intolerances are to gluten, dairy, soy.

Good luck!  You can also check to see if you are low on B12 or iron.

5. sanathara profile image60
    sanatharaposted 7 years ago

If you are feeling sleepy during the day despite getting enough sleep,then I am sure you must have vitamin and iron deficiency.so, first of all get all necessary tests done like CBC.By that you will come to know exactly about your HB, Red and white cells count which is very necessary to know in determining deficiency.
    Get one more test for Vitamin B-12 done.Because it also plays a big roll in fatigue.
    For energy, Do Yoga, breathing exercise and mainly "Kapalbhati" and 'Anulom vilom' Pranayam with easy asans.Follow at least three days in a week.Even if you can do it for 15 minutes it's fine.And believe me it works like miracle.
    Now regarding food, eat plenty of green leafy vegetables and lots of fruits.Don't eat more oily food and sweets.These type of food make you feel lethargic as you feel heavy after eating it.In short, exercise and healthy nutritious diet will help you to feel more energetic.

6. zoey24 profile image78
    zoey24posted 7 years ago

Have you had a iron test? Low iron can cause tiredness, dizziness and lack of motivation, but nothing a course of iron tablets wont sort out if this is what you have smile

7. profile image56
    consentinoposted 7 years ago

I had the same problem and I started taking Omega 3 tablets and B-Complex Vitamins (50mg).  I feel a lot better now.

consentino
    www.petsareagift.com

8. danielleantosz profile image70
    danielleantoszposted 7 years ago

There are alot of answers and I read most of them. If I missed this answer, sorry.  But, have you considered getting checked for sleep apnea?  This condition causes you to stop breathing for several seconds while you sleep, which results in you waking up (often with out realizing it). People with sleep apena often feel tired after a full nights sleep.  If your family or partner complains about your snoring, that is a sign of sleep apnea.

9. Borsia profile image43
    Borsiaposted 7 years ago

Exercise and diet are the keys to energy. Also setting a regular time routine so that you go to sleep and get up at the same time every day. also schedule your meals at the same time.

10. profile image0
    jasper420posted 7 years ago

i find myself struggling with the same problem latley exersize helps alot you have to force yourself to do it but once you do you will find you have more energy and feel better too

11. Slices of Life profile image75
    Slices of Lifeposted 7 years ago

Getting exercise and eating right can add energy to your day. But if you're the fan of the shortcut, 5-Hour Energy after a meal can keep you going for about the time advertised.

12. daskittlez69 profile image72
    daskittlez69posted 7 years ago

Eat carbs. Quicky energy means quick carbs like sugar. Long lasting energy means slow carbs like beans or oats.

13. SummerSurf profile image61
    SummerSurfposted 7 years ago

Check whether your diet is balanced. Get regular exercise and fresh air. Think about a multivitamin. Maybe get your bloods checked-low in iron?

14. Alex Simring profile image67
    Alex Simringposted 7 years ago

Energy levels generally relate to nutrition, physical activity, mood and sleep. Assuming that you do not have a medical condition such as anaemia, diabetes or thyroid disease, I find that exercise is the best energy booster. Over-exercising will only lead to more tiredness. Daily moderate intensity activity provides the best benefits for energy levels, and I find that yoga (Power Yoga) works well for me. Drink plenty of fluids and eat low GI foods with protein to keep the energy levels constant. Avoid caffeine and stimulants completely and cut out all sugars.Boosting mood is important, and maybe you would find meditation helpful. A general B complex multivitamin and Vitamin C also provide good all round nutritional benefit.

15. SD Dickens profile image81
    SD Dickensposted 7 years ago

You may have thyroid issues.  See a doctor to get your blood levels checked.

16. ktrapp profile image94
    ktrappposted 7 years ago

Are you drinking enough water? Dehydration contributes to a lack of energy, as well as weight gain. Also, are you getting enough B vitamins?

17. andrewwilliams63 profile image60
    andrewwilliams63posted 7 years ago

Great question, i too have the same issue. The things that seem to help me most are excercise in the afternoon such as swimming and green tea.

18. ninacrimaldi profile image56
    ninacrimaldiposted 7 years ago

I have heard there is a such thing as too much sleep, which makes you over tierd.

19. whiplashinfo profile image60
    whiplashinfoposted 7 years ago

Take vitamins. It will help. Just try it.

20. thejeffriestube profile image70
    thejeffriestubeposted 7 years ago

Mine was blood pressure. Had it checked, got on medicine and it got better. Also dropped a bit of weight and got off the medicine completely.

21. nabeelplus profile image58
    nabeelplusposted 7 years ago

Drink plenty of water and start workout.

22. terrektwo profile image85
    terrektwoposted 7 years ago

shot of adrenaline, right to the heart, he he

23. PoliCommandments profile image60
    PoliCommandmentsposted 7 years ago

You might want to seek a medical opinion.  However, I can give some advice from experience:

Exercising (especially aerobics) will provide enough endorphins to make you feel energized and great throughout the rest of your day.

Changing your diet can change your energy.  Mix up the colors of your fruits and veggies.  I like rotating fruits, such as pineapples, kiwi, tomatoes, apples, blueberries, strawberries, and more.  Veggies, such as carrots with dip, and assortment of sauteed peppers, broccoli with spinach dip (if you can't take broccoli raw), etc. can spur some energy.  Also, make sure that you have enough protein to keep you energized.  Soy, nuts, and eggs hold a lot of protein for vegetarians.  However, meats also contain proteins for omnivores.  Beware of meats, though, due to all of those additives and chemicals that animals are forced to eat, which could lead to negative health effects.

I hope this helps.  Besides that information, increasing lighting, and having a positive outlook on life can work wonders!

24. dipsmi profile image76
    dipsmiposted 7 years ago

are you eating properly?exercising?not stressed? if yes and still not feeling energetic its time to visit a doctor.

25. theeaglesrose profile image61
    theeaglesroseposted 7 years ago

Take Bee Pollen vitamins. I couldn't get myself out of bed and to my early classes when I was a youngster in college. Once I got Bee Pollen in to my system after a few days, I woke up easily, had a decent day and fell asleep easily at night..and was well rested.

26. profile image49
    leggarnaposted 7 years ago

This may sound stupid but exercise will help or maybe less sleep, you could be overtired.

27. xilver profile image60
    xilverposted 7 years ago

eat a healthy diet and drink plenty of water. you need to make sure you are getting the rda of all the vitamins and nutrients as well as enough protein and calories for your activity level.

28. rajan jolly profile image93
    rajan jollyposted 7 years ago

Moderation in everything you do and yes try pranayam that is some breathing routines like Bhasrika ,Kapalbhati and Anulom Vilom. Trust me you will feel much better.

29. profile image56
    SpaceAgeposted 7 years ago

u may try drinking more water. warmer water's better absorbed by the body, & it works wonders.

30. JLBender profile image69
    JLBenderposted 7 years ago

I would suggest trying the Paleo diet for 30 days. You do not eat any grains and only grass-fed meat. I don't suggest it for the "fad-diet" reason, but because it will strip your body of most food allergens.

After 30 days, you can start adding back grains and heavy amounts of dairy. Keep a journal of how each makes you feel. You may have a gluten or lactose allergy.

I also agree with others that believe you should try moderate levels of exercise.

Are you using tobacco? Often time are bodies become so addicted to the stimulant side of tobacco that one can feel tired when they are not using.

31. stephaniedas profile image86
    stephaniedasposted 7 years ago

I find that when I'm eating a healthy, plant-based diet, cutting out meat, breads, and sugars, I feel great and have tons of energy. I also need less sleep. I can also say that the times in my life when I've been active, I've also felt great.

32. biliph profile image60
    biliphposted 7 years ago

I think exercising regularly will help. Physical activity allows our body to release certain chemicals that will allow you feel good about yourself.

33. ambassadornchains profile image60
    ambassadornchainsposted 7 years ago

Try a sublingual (the kind that melts under your tongue) B12 supplement.  The sublingual method allows the vitamin to go into your bloodstream and surpass the digestive system, that way you get 100% of the vitamin and non is wasted! smile  If you're really serious...there is a B-12 shot...but...sublingual is actually better, in my opinion.

Also, exercise (although it sounds exhausting), is a free and healthy alternative that actually helps to give you energy.  I have to start exercising regularly for a couple different reasons, but one being I have NO energy and always feel so tired no matter how much sleep I get.  Exercising (I just do 30 minutes on a treadmill, walking or running, depending on how my knees feel that day) will benefit you in so many areas of wellness, too! smile  If you're a student, get on a treadmill with study material or an ipod to help time go by.

Also, watch your diet...If you're eating a lot of junky fast food, that is a MAJOR reason why you may be lacking energy.  I am always on-the-go and understand the need for something fast, so it is really hard to find fast-foods without relying on fast food places.  I try to incorporate a few fruits into my diet every day, a bag of apple slices, or something, and usually drink a V8 drink with a full serving of fruits and veggies. 

Snacking (on something somewhat healthy, please) will also help control your appetite so that when you sit down to eat, you're not eating a HUGE meal that causes you to be sleepy for a long amount of time.

There are some great teas you can look into to give you energy.  Green tea is very good for you and has 0 calories! smile

34. Venessa1 profile image44
    Venessa1posted 7 years ago

Take vitamins every day and you will notice a difference after a couple of days. I noticed a huge difference in about 3 days.

35. patbess profile image57
    patbessposted 7 years ago

Exercise!
    I know it is hard and time consuming and the last thing you want to do after a long day at work but it will boost your energy level and you will feel great

Also try to eat well ie lots of fruits and vegetables and nuts to get all your required vitamins naturally. (without counting on supplements)

Also, if you live in a warm country, try to get 5 minutes of sun. Apparently it helps

36. Speedster2000 profile image61
    Speedster2000posted 7 years ago

One word. Detox. The best way to detox is by starting with the colon. Get in touch with a hydro-therapist in your area and schedule an appointment. Health begins with a clean colon or ends with a toxic one. After that, you will feel great and you can begin to change your lifestyle and diet to gain vibrant health and maintain it all the while feeling and looking great.

37. Aceblogs profile image60
    Aceblogsposted 7 years ago

I can very well correlate , lol.. Well people used to tell me to drink coffee but i never used to like coffee as it is not good for skin , thus i used to do a bit of exercise and wash my face whensoever i used to feel drowsy ! Also you can keep mint or polo with you , it helps you keep awake and a well balanced diet can make you feel healthy and energetic , specially beans

38. HERBERT ubaldo profile image60
    HERBERT ubaldoposted 7 years ago

You read exercise daily to be energetic always

39. Journey * profile image85
    Journey *posted 7 years ago

This article is a summary of how to have more energy during the day. read more

40. sroberts9 profile image81
    sroberts9posted 7 years ago

I felt the same way.  By Wednesday I was beat!  My doctor suggested Ester C.  It levels out all your body is missing.  I tried it and though it takes about a week to feel the difference, it REALLY WORKS!  I live by it. It will not be as effective if you take it in another - like a vitamin but, by itself.  The bottle is dark blue and the label is orange you can find it at any Rite Aid, CVS or other pharmacy store.  I take 2 1,000 milligrams and it does it for me.  Even my husband takes it too and it works for him as well.  Hope you Feel Better Soon!

41. 88888888 profile image37
    88888888posted 7 years ago

Sex is the better option will charge you for long day Sex is the secret of our energy..

42. profile image0
    Elaina Griniasposted 7 years ago

I have the same problem.  Come to find out I'm anemic.  It's when you have low iron.  If you get your iron levels checked and they are low, you should start taking iron pills.  You will see a dramatic difference in your energy.

43. pearpandas profile image60
    pearpandasposted 7 years ago

Exercise and cut down on carbs especially at lunch.  I used to practically fall asleep after lunch until I switched to salad and protien.

44. nasake profile image61
    nasakeposted 7 years ago

It is possible that you are suffering from mild depression. See the bright side in things.

If not, then try little things like exercise. People will say 10-15minutes a day but that isn't even enough to start the fat loss cycle, and so not as many endorphins are released during the process. It will work, but twenty minutes minimum would be better.

Get out for walks and stuff like that, try to read a book before you sleep. You could basically attempt everything you hear about, providing it doesn't make you worse. What ever you do, don't stress yourself out! This symptom can also be a bi-product of stress.

45. nadejda13 profile image60
    nadejda13posted 7 years ago

check you iodine level and thyroid. Low thyroid and iodine deficiency can be the reason for your problem

46. profile image51
    michaelllposted 7 years ago

change your diet and eat more green leafy vegetables

47. LindaSmith1 profile image59
    LindaSmith1posted 7 years ago

Sleeping is one thing, quality sleep is another. Having a physcial may help resolve this.

Things that interrupt sleep. Many of us do not realize that anything is going on.

Asthma
    Allergies
    Snoring
    Muscle Spasm
    Old mattress that needs to be replaced
    Sleep apnea
    Heart condition
    Anemia
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Sleep disorders

48. goego profile image82
    goegoposted 7 years ago

methamphetamine can give a quick boost but the faces paint a different story...
    Water is key, try kangen. For a mental refresh try "floating"(sensory deprivation tank) for a crash course in meditation. Do some research on cortisol and relate it to your life...stress kills

49. happychappyjb profile image59
    happychappyjbposted 7 years ago

Exercise, that will pump Oxygen in your body and mind and you will feel more alive...

All other things are weed out like depression, etc etc etc when you feel that you have achieved something.

Also it might also be because you dont feel you are in control of your life. Take control and see what your are doing with your life and what you want to do with your life. You only get one, unless you are a Buddhist, then you have 8, even then you may not come back as a human next time. Probably as a snail or a tree. You are the driving force of your life. Remember that...

50. whatarethenews profile image61
    whatarethenewsposted 7 years ago

According to my first priority i.e, Exercise if you do exercise in daily routine then you will be as good as you want to be. and on the other hand i will suggest some calcium and multivitamins along with your exercise. They will definitely keep your fresh and healthy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)