jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why do we get hiccups?

1. profile image53
    supriyamaposted 6 years ago

Why do we get hiccups?

2. melpor profile image91
    melporposted 6 years ago

We experience hiccups from time to time because there is a nerve called the phrenic nerve that runs from the base of our skull down our neck pass the lungs to the diaphragm. The diagram controls our breathing and occasionally this nerve gets irritated and cause a disruption in our breathing sequence. This nerve is a result of the process of evolution from our aquatic descendants. The nerve originally ended in the neck of animals who used to have gills to breathe instead of lungs.

3. inaniLoquence profile image68
    inaniLoquenceposted 6 years ago

I am not very sure why but I believe that it has something to do with the diaphragm and the way we intake air and food.

My only remedy for this annoying, sometimes humiliating, hiccups is to drink PLENTY of water. If I have a scientifically-sound explanation for that, I would say that it helps relaxes the diaphragm muscles and get it back to normal.

Hope that helps! big_smile

4. SusanMacD profile image70
    SusanMacDposted 6 years ago

Hiccups are usually caused by digestive issues, stress, or temperatures changes, but can rarely be an indication of an underlying medical condition. read more

5. Syrusv37 profile image91
    Syrusv37posted 6 years ago

From what I heard, not enough oxygen is getting to your lungs, and so by hiccuping, this is a spasm that draws in breath. The diaphragm is actually spasming, or twitching in a way, and this draws breath. This is what I heard, I'm not sure how reliable that info is though.

working