jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can you really ever not "feel guilty" if you have a tendency to feel guilty abou

1. cclitgirl profile image97
    cclitgirlposted 6 years ago

Can you really ever not "feel guilty" if you have a tendency to feel guilty about everything?

2. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

I don't know if it's possible to never feel guilty again about anything, but you can improve on it. I was on a permanent guilt trip when I was younger and basically it took me a while to figure out that this was mostly due to lack of confidence. When you gain in confidence you realise that it is okay to do some things just for you and for no one else and not feeling guilty about it. I do sometimes still feel guilty about things, but perhaps there are certain core things that make you who you are, that never really leave you no matter how confident you become.

3. rookie57 profile image57
    rookie57posted 6 years ago

As human beings we are wired to have a conscience, so therefore we naturally react  to situations... but I agree with seeker7... the way you react to these situations depend on your personality. If as a child you were constantly made to feel guilty by a parent or sibling you will carry that through with you into your adult life. The way to step out of this destructive way of thinking is realising WHEN you are feeling guilty and WHY. Once you learn when and why these feelings happen you will then be able to move past them and learn that not everything is your fault. You are human just like everyone else... we all stuff up every now and again, but the key is to brush it off and move on and if an apology is REALLY necessary then do so.
    Hope this helps...

4. Goodpal profile image89
    Goodpalposted 6 years ago

Guilt, like any other feeling, is yet another emotion that affects us. Indulging in it is avoidable if we can learn to step back and watch them. It may sound like an improbable proposition given the environment of the modern society. Feelings like thoughts continuously come and go - it is for us which we let go and what we harbor.

My personal experience of dealing with lingering negative emotions is limited to mindfulness meditation practice and support of healthy friends. Others can try and decide if it helps them.

Thanks for raising an important question that is hardly ever discussed openly, despite its widespread nature.