What does it mean to "be true to who you are"?

1. BizGenGirl profile image85
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago

What does it mean to "be true to who you are"?

And on the opposite end of the spectrum, what is it like when you aren't being "true to who you are", and why is it that you feel stuck in this place of "non-youness"?

2. moonfairy profile image80
    moonfairyposted 6 years ago

being true to who you are, to me, means that you follow your heart and your soul and not try to be what someone else wants you to be. It means being honest with yourself and acting in accordance with that.
    I think that not being true to who you are happens when, for example, you're in a job that you're not happy with...so when you work you're acting as someone that, deep down inside, you're not and when you're home, you're finally you again. I think people get caught up in that "non-youness" because they can't find a way out and it's a frustrating place to be.

3. Cyndi10 profile image88
    Cyndi10posted 6 years ago

So many layers to the question. Here's one layer. Being true to who you are means embracing all aspects of your being and  following where that leads you. It means trusting what is right for you and not allowing others to strip you or chip away at your core being. When you're not true to who you are, you're like an impostor at a masquerade: you may be having a good time on the surface, but no one knows who you are.  A state of non-youness.
    Here's the thing, being who you are may not fit the conventional mold those immediately around you have made. Hopefully, there's no conflict with expectations and who you are, if not, it's a struggle as you either try to fit or to break free. In any case, if you're lucky, you recognize that we're  always growing and learning and, I think, always in a state of "becoming."