What's a saying today, that you often hear other's say, that irritates the hell

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (21 posts)
  1. albertsj profile image83
    albertsjposted 12 years ago

What's a saying today, that  you often hear other's say, that irritates the hell out of you?

2. KellyPittman profile image78
    KellyPittmanposted 12 years ago

I must admit that it irritates me when people use negative terms to describe something good.  (actually I'm just confused!)  For instance, on American Idol the judges will say, "that was sick" - "that was ridiculous"  etc.  when someone is really great.  I'd probably cry if they told me I was ridiculous!  smile

I guess it started when "bad" became, "cool".

"I'm bad, I'm bad, ya know it, c'mon" 

There's enough confusion, let's just keep one definition for English words.  Ha! I'm getting old.

3. CrazyGata profile image83
    CrazyGataposted 12 years ago

Thank you for the question albertsj in regards to what phrase annoys me. This is my answer.
    The saying that annoys me the most is "Don't worry, put it in God's hands"... If you cry, don't cry because if you believe in God and you trust Him you... read more

4. Nature calls profile image40
    Nature callsposted 12 years ago

The most irritating thing I can hear at the right moment when I feel like I really don't want to hear that is - 'Calm down, everything's going to be better,you'll see'. And really,at that very moment, I just want a moment for myself...

5. JKenny profile image90
    JKennyposted 12 years ago

I get annoyed when I hear people who have managed to pick up a bargain or saved money on their shopping, say 'Every little helps,' I think it annoys me because the saying seems to have been popularised by those adverts from Tesco (Supermarket).

6. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 12 years ago

the phrase that bothers me more then any other is "the lord works in mysterious ways" it is beyond rediculous and nothing but a cop-out.

7. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 12 years ago

albertsj.......Dare I tell?   You've raised my blood pressure, because just THINKING about some of the current "popular comments," IRRITATES me!  HA! How many am I allowed to list?  I guess I'd give away too much about my out-dated ways of thinking........so, I'll go with one of my TOP TEN irritations!  LOL
                                   "That's NOT  Politically Correct!"         
      With all due resepct to the sensitivities of our dear fellow-hubbers.......this is all I'm saying.....at this time.

8. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

Oh the list is long!  One of the things I hate is that we have started to abbreviate perfectly good words when we speak.  Vaca - vacation, addy - address, OMG - Oh My God.  It is like we are all texting instead of speaking.  When did we become to tired to use all of the syllables?

Also the consistent use of profanity/curse words as a part of our daily language bothers me.  I was married to a cop so I've heard it all and the language does not shock me, but I just have no clue when it became acceptable to use it so freely.

9. Peter Allison profile image77
    Peter Allisonposted 12 years ago

Hmmm... 'It's all good.' Comes to mind... Somebody apologizes for dropping a brick on your foot, you respond: 'It's all good.'

10. Trish McDonald profile image55
    Trish McDonaldposted 12 years ago

Too often I hear someone talking, or should I say complaining about something and then the articulate vocabulist standing next to them says,  "I know, right?"

11. Tams R profile image83
    Tams Rposted 12 years ago

I hate to hear others say, "Wow, you clean up well," just because a girl puts on makeup.

12. michememe profile image60
    michememeposted 12 years ago

"Dp you know what I'm saying?" Hate that one! No, I don't! Please say what you are trying to say! Why do I have to figure it out?

13. prezbucky profile image59
    prezbuckyposted 12 years ago

"I could care less." You're saying that you do actually care... which is generally not the intended meaning. Instead it should be "I couldn't care less."

14. JayBee3 profile image61
    JayBee3posted 12 years ago

"Everything happens for a reason"...UUUUGH...only said by people with insanely good luck.  smile

15. skinsman82000 profile image73
    skinsman82000posted 12 years ago

There are a few.  OMG or LOL when someone speaks each letter is very annoying.

If someone says they're "offended."  Well that's rough, doesn't mean I'm going to change what I said, haha.   Good question.  I'm sure there are a lot more out there.

16. old albion profile image62
    old albionposted 12 years ago

When somone apologises and says ' I'm sorry' then the immediate retort is 'Sorry it's to late to be sorry now'
    If the person had not done something wrong in the first place, there would be nothing to be 'sorry' about!!
    Best Wishes.
    Old Albion.

17. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

Upon protesting that someting is not fair, to hear a canned reply of "Well, life's not fair."  It makes me want to scream!

If life is so unfair, and only the people who don't play fair get ahead, then why are we wasting time and energy trying to teach our kids to play fair and by the rules?  So they can get stepped on, shoved aside and otherwise put at some disadvantage by those who do not play fairly?  I swear, non-violent person though I am, the next time I hear someone say that, I'm decking them!

The other current popular "sayings" that are really getting old and I'm sick of hearing are, "REALLY!?"  and "SERIOUSLY?!"  These two words seem to be uttered at every single slight provocation from dropping something on the floor to hitting 3 red lights  in a row to disbelieving someone else's stupid action.

It's time for these folks to find a better way to express themselves.

18. profile image0
    jasper420posted 12 years ago

Its okay, I understand, Alot of people will say its ok or I understand as a comfort however it may not be ok and they may not understand this realy bothers me alot!

19. nybride710 profile image59
    nybride710posted 12 years ago

"My bad" - especially when said by someone my age. (40ish)

20. I Am Rosa profile image85
    I Am Rosaposted 12 years ago

"Stuff" ... I could seriously injure someone when "stuff" comes into a conversation.

"What did you do today?"
    "Stuff."  No kidding, genius.  I assumed as much >:-(

"So I went over to his place and stuff."  ... and WHAT stuff???

It's embarrassing how crazy "Stuff" makes me.

21. tammyswallow profile image91
    tammyswallowposted 12 years ago

Any cliche' is irritating but there are many generic sayings are just bad: "the sun doesn't shine on the same dog's tail every morning, colder than a witch's tit, you can't polish a turd.".. These are a little crude.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)