jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Bad stretch marks out of no where!?

1. ii3rittles profile image82
    ii3rittlesposted 5 years ago

Bad stretch marks out of no where!?

Back in March I went on a slow carb diet. This caused me to lose about 15 pounds in two weeks. Since I had such low energy I started eating carbs again and BAM! The weight came back in a week. Would this cause purple stretch marks to quickly appear? I got them behind my knees (very deep, purple ones!) and a few on my hips.

2. Diane Woodson profile image59
    Diane Woodsonposted 5 years ago

I am 55 have gained from 125 to 137 in two years, I have them on my tummy and I tkink you already figured out your answer, ther are creams to use to get rid of these .
    I have a carb thing too, not sure why but I crave peanut buter which needs a carb of crackers for me or two pieces of bread and jelly, uh oh,

strawberries and watermelon will help, and  avacados, as well.                            Any weight gain will do these stretch marks to you and keep on top of it' all you can, you can get rid of them much easier than someone my age can.

1. Diane Woodson profile image59
      Diane Woodsonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

17 lbs is allot to lose in two weeks, be careful we do need some good carbs when dieting or not you look young so be good to your body thru diet and walking, its the best I have gotten rid of 5 lbs in 6 wks going slow.

3. ASchwartz profile image72
    ASchwartzposted 5 years ago

Weight gain can cause stretch marks. They don't just affect women either. I once new a man that got them along his inner upper arm after he starting lifting weights.

The good news is they fade over time. I have some on my lower tummy after pregnancy that are pretty much invisible now. If you look real close you can just make them out, but that's not a big deal to me. When they first sprung up they were like you described, deep and purple.

Try to drink a lot of water and eat a healthy diet with fruits and veggies. They'll fade over time.

1. ii3rittles profile image82
      ii3rittlesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

How long did they take to fade? I never had them behind my knees! Just in time for summer... *palms face* lol

4. Sage in a Cage profile image79
    Sage in a Cageposted 5 years ago

Yes, yo-yo weight gain and loss can definitely cause the appearance of stretch marks. Lots of people get them as part of the growing process when they are going through puberty too. There seems to be some genetic component to whether you are more prone to getting stretch marks. Most likely it's the elasticity of the skin that is genetically passed down.

Although you sometimes can't fight nature it definitely helps in my experience to ensure your skin is well moisturised when you are changing your eating patterns. Also, coconut oil is really good for helping to fade the stretch marks if they appear.

5. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 5 years ago

A lot of people get stretch marks when they gain or lose weight quickly. The skin doesn't have time to adjust and this is one of the reasons that it is highly recommended to lose or gain weight slowly. Even people experiencing growth spurts get them. Sorry. I would have to tell you that they will fade but they will not disappear. Don't waste your time or money on creams and potions that say they'll get rid of them but don't.

6. profile image0
    Debbie Dallasposted 5 years ago

I was a skinny mini my entire life!  Never ate, always worked out- twice a day! Taught aerobics etc.. I went thru a horrible time in my life AND gained lots of weight so FAST!  FAST.  One day I weighed myself and was in disbelief?!  I realized I am in a BAD STATE OF MIND? What happened? Then the WORST part- I saw THEM!!! white stretch marks that sun ray up my stomach! sad although, they are white it's hard to handle when your tummy was meer perfection!  Plus I HAD ZERO KIDS sad big OH NO!! To realize- something happened to me and I can NEVER have the perfect stomach again!  My bf, his answer?! No one ever needs to see that but me- wear a one piece swimsuit?!  OH GREAT!!!

working