jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Do you think tobacco without additives like American Spirit still cause cancer?

1. Pamela N Red profile image87
    Pamela N Redposted 5 years ago

Do you think tobacco without additives like American Spirit still cause cancer?

Some say it's not the tobacco but the chemicals the tobacco industry adds that harm people.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6971492_f260.jpg

2. sparkster profile image93
    sparksterposted 5 years ago

I have been reading up on this recently.  Apparently the tobacco companies add over 600 extra chemicals.

3. d.william profile image75
    d.williamposted 5 years ago

Although it is true that the tobacco companies add many substances to make the user addicted to their products, the tobacco itself is a known carcinogen.

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

I agree, It's the carcinogens they put into tobacco. In an Indian's peace pipe was something besides tobacco. smile

5. fpherj48 profile image75
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

Pam....Sadly, I'm going to have to say that we seem to be hard-pressed any more to find much of anything that does NOT cause or contribute to cancer!  What is really safe?  Our air, water, food?    Nope!    Even that which is suppose to make us well (Rxs) have been found to have severe side effects, to include the possibility of malignancies. 
    In a wild guess, plain pure tobacco, although probably not GREAT for humans....would have to be less lethal that 600 chemicals, wouldn't you think??

Pamela N Redposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't smoke but have read many opinions on this. I think anytime we put smoke or dust of any kind into our lungs we are asking for trouble although it's probably not as bad as the commercial cigarettes most buy.

6. Rosana Modugno profile image84
    Rosana Modugnoposted 5 years ago

Plants were never meant to be burned and inhaled.  It damages the inside of your body, no matter what it is.  That's why people die of smoke inhalation.  It's not just the ingredients in the plant, it's what happens to the plant once it's burned.  I'm not even going to touch what these companies add to it.  I'm just talking about tobacco in its most primitive form before the additives.

Pamela N Redposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Rosana, I think you are right.

2. jclaffee profile image78
      jclaffeeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Rosana, you nailed it. I wish more people realized that inhalation of burned plant material is not healthy, regardless of any additives companies contribute.

7. nancynurse profile image77
    nancynurseposted 5 years ago

Yes even without adding more nicotine it is still in a standard cigarette not to mention the over 200 forms of harmfull chemicals released when you smoke. You are damaging you lungs, mucous membranes. skin, fertility system, heart., blood vessels.

working