What do you do to uplift your mood?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (23 posts)
  1. sweetzara profile image76
    sweetzaraposted 11 years ago

What do you do to uplift your mood?

We all get the blues or feel a bit down or even go through a bout of depression once in a while. How do you bring yourself back up?

2. JimTxMiller profile image78
    JimTxMillerposted 11 years ago

Take a walk, listen to music, meditate, read, write, build a fire in the backyard, the possibilities are nearly endless.

3. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

aromatherapy can be a quick lift - use citrus oils, peppermint, rosemary or sage.  Make a room spray and spritz it around on gloomy days to kind of give you a lift and clear mental fog.

I also practice meditation.  You can get guided meditations or do self-hypnosis or listen to binaural beats that trigger activity in certain parts of the brain.  You can find some good samples on YouTube to check out.  I love binaurals for concentration and elevating mood.

Also, laugh.  Find something funny, whether it's an irony in your own life or a great book or funny movie and laugh.  Laughter releases feel good endorphins.  So does a good piece of very dark chocolate (moderation is key) and exercise.  Running and aerobic activity release endorphins after several minutes that will give you a sort of mild euphoric feeling all day.  Ironically, the times you want to move and sweat least are when you really need it most.  A "runners high" is the best kind of natural mood elevator and it lasts a long time.

Yoga can also be a great way to relax and pull stress out of the body and focus on mindfulness as well.

1. iiiiamblessedlive profile image61
      iiiiamblessedliveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

(iamblessedlive@yahoo.com)

Hello My Dear,
      compliments of the day,I hope Ur doing fine over there,I would like to introduce myself to you,my name is iamblessedlive, it is my pleasure to write you after i have view your profile in which really interes

2. iiiiamblessedlive profile image61
      iiiiamblessedliveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

my name is iamblessedlive , it is my pleasure to write you after viewing your profile which really interest me ,you can write me through my email for easiest communication

4. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

I listen to my favorite music through my ipod while at the gym or going for a walk in a park, laying at the beach. Music and a change of scenery provide a nice little escape. Other times it's good to meet with friends to have cocktails or engage in some fun activity. Having sex isn't a bad way to lift one's spirits either! :-)

5. profile image0
    Olde Cashmereposted 11 years ago

I go for long walks especially if the weather is nice. It's a great way to clear the mind  and sort through all of the clutter. Watching comedies and reading books are also good for getting out of the mind.

6. Seeker7 profile image82
    Seeker7posted 11 years ago

I usually find that my dogs cheer me up - they also seem to sense when I'm a bit down and come over and try to play! So I take them out for a walk and to play around and it cheers me up as well as them!

7. Sushma Webber profile image74
    Sushma Webberposted 11 years ago

I watch comedy shows or movies to make me feel better when I am in the dumps. I have always found it has an immediate effect smile

8. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

I read one of my favorite books. They always uplift my mood like a pocket friend smile If not that, I use an entire evening to pamper myself, cook a great meal, and watch a comedy or romance movie.

1. sweetzara profile image76
      sweetzaraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the answer. Do share the titles of some of your favorite books.

2. lburmaster profile image72
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

French Women Don't Sleep Alone, French Women Don't Get Fat, Jeaniene Frost novels, Sherrilyn Kenyon novels, Kresley Cole novels, the Fifty Shades of Grey series, Crime and Punishment, Patricia Briggs novels, the old Karen Marie Moning novels, etc.

9. Diana Lee profile image77
    Diana Leeposted 11 years ago

I try to think of something else and if it seems extra troubling to me I pray.  I ask for guidance to understand why I feel the way I do. Sometimes a good cry helps.

10. Neinahpets profile image82
    Neinahpetsposted 11 years ago

Paint a painting that illustrates my mood and get the release from seeing it onto paper.  During that time I'll listen to music that reflects the mood as a release as well.  I also find enjoyment in working out to lift my bad mood and listening to upbeat, happy music.  When you exercise regularly your body releases endorphins which make you feel happier and that helps to keep depression at bay.

11. CrescentSkies profile image63
    CrescentSkiesposted 11 years ago

I go on reddit, the resulting confusion of anything that's going on makes me feel like a normal person.

12. floating mind profile image70
    floating mindposted 11 years ago

Singing!  It works for me every time.  It doesn't matter what I sing, though I usually sing up-beat songs; but singing works!

13. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years ago

When I am "up" or "down" I like to pray and talk with the Almighty...letting Him know everything that is on my heart and upon my mind.

I also like to take long walks and talk to friends. Sometimes I sing some old hymns in my room all by myself, while at other times I like to listen to some uplifting music. I am also planning to buy a guitar and teach myself how to play.

Moreover, reading some inspirational verses from the Bible does the trick. I also have been known to pour myself into writing poetry, which I find is a great release and quite therapeutic to boot.

In the end...when life gets me down, it is typical for me to seek the company of those I love and trust the most. :0)

14. Livingtwentyfirst profile image60
    Livingtwentyfirstposted 11 years ago

I listen to loud music and dance.I also at times get out of the house drive to the countryside and have long walks.

15. Mrs Jil Manning profile image83
    Mrs Jil Manningposted 11 years ago

I get really physical and tire myself out with weight lifting and cardio, which gives me an endorphin hit!  I swim, try and cut the rubbish food out, and tell myself that things will get better.  Sometimes I have to give myself a talking to.  I pray, and if all else fails I bake an enormous fudge cake and try not to eat it all, as the sight of it cheers everyone up.

16. Dusana1234 profile image60
    Dusana1234posted 11 years ago

Meditation can help a lot. I'm trying to be positive, I believe positive thinking leads to positive outcomes.
    Dusana :-)

17. iiiiamblessedlive profile image61
    iiiiamblessedliveposted 11 years ago

Hello My Dear,
    compliments of the day,I hope Ur doing fine over there,I would like to introduce myself to you,my name is iamblessedlive, it is my pleasure to write you after i have view your profile in which really interest me,to ask for friendship with you if you have the same desire with me so we can get to know each other better and see what will happened in future.contact me with my email,(iamblessedlive@yahoo.com)so that i will send you my picture and also tell you more about me,
    Thanks and God bless you,

18. healthyfitness profile image71
    healthyfitnessposted 11 years ago

I watch Futurama lol. I've only ever felt good watching that show, so naturally it brings up my spirits. Its so funny and clever and interesting.

19. Vacation Trip profile image73
    Vacation Tripposted 11 years ago

I just listen to music or talk to my family specially to my mom.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)