Are nurses, medical staff offended, or agitated by a regular/repeating patient b

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)
  1. days leaper profile image61
    days leaperposted 11 years ago

Are nurses, medical staff offended, or agitated by a regular/repeating patient believing in God -

Or some-one who is Christian?

2. xanzacow profile image60
    xanzacowposted 11 years ago

As a nurse, I must ask you, What does the belief or non-belief of God or Christianity have to do with being a regular / repeat patient? I do get irritated with repeat patients at times, but it is usually because they have refused to heed medical advice, thus resulting in their repeat visit, not due to religion. Religion is one's choice and has nothing to do with medical care. Some religions do oppose to certain medical practices, and that is to be respected, no matter what the opinion of the medical personnel. So, to answer your question....No. Not this Nurse.

3. days leaper profile image61
    days leaperposted 11 years ago

xanzacow:  I meant Chronic...  The belief that God may have a miracle waiting down the line.  Whether true or not combats a certain amount of depression.  Yet, It seemed many nurses, doctors etc. wanted strongly to drive the notion out of me completely.  So, I'm stuck with it for life - unless I can find a cure - "uh, there's no cure!  There's minds greater than yours..."  Get my point, so it seems such people as I've come across seem happier to depress me further than allow me to have a dream -even if it were a bit deluded I would rather not have had this intervened!

1. xanzacow profile image60
      xanzacowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I certainly did not mean to offend.. The patients outlook has a great deal to do with the outcome. If you believe in miracles, then  keep strong with that! Keep your dream. Some dreams do come true and stranger things have happened. God Bless!

4. CrescentSkies profile image64
    CrescentSkiesposted 11 years ago

I highly doubt it unless you're the type of repeat patient that's in because you keep trying way to get closer to god...in a manner you end up at the hospital every time. They're in the profession of keeping people alive and well so such people tend to piss health care professionals off...

5. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

When I had colon surgery and almost died, the nurse who just happened to be walking by the room and saw I was in trouble visited me often and prayed with me.

When my son was in a car accident and had to have brain surgery, the neurosurgeon, after explaining the issue and what he was going to be doing, led us in prayer.

The doctor who performed by colon surgery, told me, after I tried to thank him for saving my life, not to thank him. "Someone is not through with you yet," referring to God. Some doctors and nurses may not believe in God. I have never encountered one, and I have been operated on six times, waited while my son had brain surgery and depended upon the nurses who took care of me. By the way, I usually go to a Catholic run hospital, that is recognized as a regional medical center, and you see many of the doctors and nurses in the Mass held at the church chapel. They do not have to attend. They just do.

6. innerspin profile image88
    innerspinposted 11 years ago

In my experience, nurses and doctors are happy to accomodate any religions and beliefs. They do not judge. What may, in your words, offend or agitate them is a patient who ignores their advice, or seems in denial of the situation. They need to ensure the patient fully understands things. It sounds like a communication problem or clash of styles/personalities more than a religion issue. Many doctors and nurses have a strong faith in God.

7. JimTxMiller profile image77
    JimTxMillerposted 11 years ago

This has got to be one of the worst questions I have encountered on a forum overrun by bad questions!

8. Seeker7 profile image83
    Seeker7posted 11 years ago

As a former nurse it didn't bother me what beliefs or non-beliefs a patient had. The only thing that would bother me at times was if the repeat patient was needing medical attention because they were not following instructions from the doctor and so putting their health at risk. I've seen a few people go through needless distress and suffering because they wouldn't follow instructions. If it's due to their beliefs that they can't follow instructions then that is of course their choice and that has to be respected. But I would certainly say 'no' I never have been agitated with any patient, repeat or not, due to their beliefs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)