jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

How do you handle failure?

1. Crystal Tatum profile image89
    Crystal Tatumposted 4 years ago

How do you handle failure?

Not just the kind where you did the best you could, but also the kind where maybe you could have put in more effort or done things differently, but now it's too late? Or where you missed or wasted an opportunity? How do you cope?

2. billybuc profile image88
    billybucposted 4 years ago

My dad taught me a long, long time ago to always move forward.  We learn from failure or mistakes and we move on.  Self-blame, regret, all of that is worthless.  We are human and we'll make mistakes more than be right....I was also taught to not call it failure because that is negative....we learn from our decisions, so even the wrong ones are a learning experience.

1. lupine profile image73
      lupineposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you completely, this is what my answer would be.

3. aafergus11 profile image60
    aafergus11posted 4 years ago

The term failure to me is a word that doesn't exist. This is because whenever i do "fail", i learn from whatever mistakes i made and turn it into motivation, to prevent failure from the same things in the future. It's always best to learn from your mistakes instead of dwelling over them. This positive way of coping with failure prevents stress, keeps your mind clear and calm, and most importantly, prevents you from failing in the future. You should never look at it as a failure, but as motivation instead. Only positive things come out of motivation.

4. Mommy Needs a Nap profile image80
    Mommy Needs a Napposted 4 years ago

There is really only one way to cope. Dust yourself off and move on. If your failure hurt others then apologize. If it cost you something then realize that you should have put in more effort and do better in the future. That's all I can do in those situations.

5. ChitrangadaSharan profile image54
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 4 years ago

By moving on..........................Failures in fact are lessons of life. May be we did not put our 100%, thus we failed. May be the other person did better than me. Failure should be a motivating factor to perform even better.
    We attempt so many things in life, out of which we may have been successful few times, but that does not mean we sit down and give up. Life gives so many opportunities, if not this time, may be the next time, we will be successful.

6. IDONO profile image82
    IDONOposted 4 years ago

I've heard the saying many times," There are no mistakes. Only opportunities". I agree with everyone that you should learn from your failure and try again. And again. And again, if necessary. The only way to experience complete failure is to not try.

7. Seek-n-Find profile image91
    Seek-n-Findposted 4 years ago

I look at everything as an opportunity to learn.  If I fail, I make the most out of it by looking at what I've learned.  I forgive myself, learn the lesson, and move forward.  Failure is always an opportunity for growth.  In the long-run, this viewpoint will almost always lead to success.

8. Crystal Tatum profile image89
    Crystal Tatumposted 4 years ago

Thanks for all the great feedback. I was really hoping someone would say, "You beat yourself to a bloody pulp over and over and over and over"!

9. petenali profile image88
    petenaliposted 4 years ago

Failure can be one of two things in my opinion.  You can fail when you simply did not do what was necessary, or you can fail when you gave it all you had but it wasn't enough.  The response is different in each case, for me.
    If I assess the results and determine that the failure was caused by a lack of effort on my behalf, I will give myself the pep-talk required and resolve to not make that same mistake again.  I will actively seek to find ways I could have done better, tried harder, given more.
    On the other hand, if I conclude that I tried my hardest but still failed, I simply move on.  You cannot do more than your best.

working