jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What are the effects of childhood impoverishment and/or being socioeconomically

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

What are the effects of childhood impoverishment and/or being socioeconomically poor

upon a child's attitude, consciousness, achievement, and success levels?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8213427_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

This type of upbringing can cause a very low self esteem. Especially if you do not have positive reinforcement in your life. If this is the case, then you feel all alone in the world and realize at young age that the world owes you nothing;as you sit and listen to your stomach growl, that you will have to work twice as hard to dig yourself out of this hell you are living in.

This consumes you to be a better person than how you were looked upon as a child. Yet, so many generations do not do this and keep repeating the vicious cycle. Praise God, I got out.

gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Poverty is wrong and pathological, especially for children.  I cannot for the life of me what some people praise poverty and denigrate wealth. Poverty kills and damages more children than any disease. Poverty further handicaps children in X ways.

3. jjackson786 profile image93
    jjackson786posted 4 years ago

I would agree with JThomp, but I would expound more on the effect that severe poverty exacts on childhood brain development. Limited access to medical services, fresh food, and sanitary living environments may all negatively impact a child's ability to both physically and mentally develop. Lack of exercise and thorough education would exacerbate this, most definitely impacting the quality of the child's life.

Also, perpetually-poor socioeconomic status might lead to negative self-image (as JThomp described) and the tendency to become involved in crime. This may include anything from stealing food to joining a gang, and these types of desperate decisions will certainly influence this child's future.

Totally agree.  It totally perplexes me that some people glorify poverty when it is totally detrimental for children. I believe that children should be born into the best socioeconomic circumstances possible.

4. DDE profile image24
    DDEposted 4 years ago

The unstable families experience more of these problems, childhood impoverishment and/or being socioeconomically poor. They lack attention, can't afford to buy the proper meals, or any nourishing meals make do with what they have, don' t have enough cash for medical care, and to live normal life. The basic needs are lower than basic making them to have a low life with not much to support their families  children are neglected and eating habits are over looked.  The problem in such cases the children suffer the most

Of course the children suffer most. What galls me is that in today's age of advanced contraception, many poor people unthinkingly have children, KNOWING in GOOD CONSCIENCE they CAN'T afford to raise them properly!

working