What causes so many people to have a negative attitude towards money, believing

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

What causes so many people to have a negative attitude towards money, believing it to be evil?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8302198_f260.jpg

2. Express10 profile image84
    Express10posted 10 years ago

Because they give up attempting to earn all they truly want because it's not easy? Perhaps it's because they have been taught this (incorrect) belief that they never question for themselves. Others assume that because some people with money are criminals or are just plain mean that money made them that way and that all people with money are evil. Having an abundance of money will amplify what was already there or already lacking whether it is heart, brains, morals, charitable behavior, etc. I think money is a tool to be used in a positive manner. Money is definitely not evil, it's the real or perceived lack of it that is. Nevertheless, some people believe what they will even if there is evidence to the contrary. That's their right but in this case, it is also quite often their loss.

gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

God, this answer is so spot on that it cuts!   People's attitude towards money oftentimes determines what they will achieve and their attitude towards success. If one has a negative view towards money, how does he/she expect to be highly successful!

3. Chuck Bluestein profile image61
    Chuck Bluesteinposted 10 years ago

According to Daniel Quinn, author of Ishmael, money did not exist over 10,000 years ago. Before that everyone lived in villages or tribes and that is still the case now in some places like South America, Africa and India.

Everyone took care of each other in the tribe. They shared everything so there was no conception of stealing. There were no filthy rich people or poor people. Also they had no worry about becoming homeless. Also there was no greed like there is now where some people are billionaires while thousands of children in the United States are homeless.

There are movements in America to create communities that are self-sustainable.

4. peachpurple profile image80
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

rich people use money to monopolize others while some think money is evil because the poor changed their moral attitude to greed and lust.

5. CraftytotheCore profile image75
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

Hi gm!   I worked in a career that provided a large income at one time.  Nevertheless, I worked very hard.   Here is my answer to your question based on my life experience.

When I was working and had an abundance of money, I vacationed and traveled.  I had many nice things.  I was very charitable and volunteered most of my free time.  Yet, there were some people who despite all of my hard work, believed somehow I didn't deserve to have the life I lived trying to make me feel guilty. Jealousy perhaps?  At Christmas dinner one year, someone who had never worked a day in her life actually told me I lived high off the hog.  I believe this person is very jealous.  I believe a negative attitude toward money is toward the holder of it.  In my situation, this person had a negative attitude toward me when I was successful. 

Today, she has still never worked a day in her life but her husband takes her on vacations several times a year, he bought her a new car recently, and she lives like money is no object.  She wants nothing to do with me since I've become self-employed and not able to afford what I used to while working.

Yes, there are some HATERS out there.  They are toxic people It is BEST to avoid such toxicities.

6. CrescentSkies profile image64
    CrescentSkiesposted 10 years ago

They wish they had more and tend to either live in a place like India or China where their ability to get more is restricted...or they live in America and are too lazy to get a job.

People want to believe that what they don't have and in their own mind cannot attain is evil.

1. Chuck Bluestein profile image61
      Chuck Bluesteinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Today in America, nurses and lawyers graduate college and cannot find a job. Nurses were told that they could always find a job since there was a shortage of nurses.

2. gmwilliams profile image84

Got to agree with you there, CrescentSkies!

7. profile image53
    Mikeomearapensacoposted 10 years ago

I think a lot of it has to do with some politicians pointing to the wealthy and demanding more taxes from them.  There is also this myth that wealthy people were born wealthy.  The vast majority of wealthy people got that way through education, hard work, self sacrice and innovation.  In the US we have become an utterly entitled society and it has been election strategy 101 for the left to point the finger at the wealthy and blame them for not paying enough taxes as well as many other problems that exist in our country.  Unfortunately, many Americans are uninformed and are too ready to accept government handouts than to actually develop the personal traits that can lead them out of poverty.

Totally concur with you. A very intelligent answer!  It is the LOSERS in life who have a negative attitude towards money, The WINNERS don't!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)