jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Does people who commit suicide, give any hint before doing so?

1. Anish Nrk profile image60
    Anish Nrkposted 3 years ago

Does people who commit suicide, give any hint before doing so?

Did you have a close friend/relative who committed/attempted suicide?
    If so did that person convey any clue to you before he left?
    Literature and studies tell that those who commit suicide may give hints before doing so.
    Some will call a friend and apologize for a past mistake, some may send cards to close relatives, some will personally make a visit and tell that we may never meet again.
    Did you have any such experience to share?
    It may help others to identify such clues in future and save lives of those closer to them.

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

From what I've read, some will give little clues before they do it, but not everyone does. A co-worker of mine always showed a positive attitude about life to those of us at work and his family and friends at home. It came as a shock to all of us when he committed suicide because none of saw or heard anything that made us think he was having any problems. When he disappeared and the story made the news, we all figured he had to have been mugged or killed by someone. No one found the note he left until after the police found him - he had jumped off a bridge.

Anish Nrkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

There are two possibilities,either he did that impulsively or he might have planned it in advance. In the latter case he might have indirectly implied it to some one close to him or a family member.As he was happy&positive the former is a possibi

3. Anish Nrk profile image60
    Anish Nrkposted 3 years ago

As a psychiatrist seeing and observing suicide at close quarters, i believe that there are two types of suicides. Few people, mostly the anxious or impulsive ones do it suddenly. But others who leave intentionally from this world do it well planned rather than impulsive. As they plan it in advance they might do things which they otherwise might have postponed, like going through the insurance or settling bills or may be even making a fresh will. I wanted to start a discussion about such clues from personal experiences, so that readers can identify such instances in real life which can be shared with others.

4. days leaper profile image79
    days leaperposted 3 years ago

I only know of a lad who eventually became friendly.  We hadn't got on at first then hung around for a short time.  I later heard rumours of a drug assisted suicide.  Im led to believe his drink had been spiked.  We'd lost contact by then.  I was too young to know his state of mind.  We both quibbled too easily to be good mates.  I never would've wished that for him.  If I can shed any light on this no matter how dim. I would say I got the impression he didn't really know what he was doing here.  He just dossed about looking for something to do with any-one.  I like to think he's in a better place.
    to DW. not a bad lad, just lost here perhaps.

d.l...Probably an unnatural death which requires further investigation...anyway thanks for sharing your personal experience

5. lostohanababy profile image60
    lostohanababyposted 3 years ago

I feel in some ways they may do.  Try to reach out to someone.  But, they go unnoticed of having a serious problem.  It maybe that they are overwhelmed with life difficulties and don't have any help in solving them!

thanks for the input lostohanababy. But did you ever have an experience of some one who committed suicide, leaving some clue that he will be no more. Can you share that?

2. lostohanababy profile image60
      lostohanababyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That's classic, yet graphic.  You are Clinical, trying to prove a point.  Answer to your question, Yes.  That's the end of what I have to say.  Some memories are better left forgotten.  Have a nice Memorial weekend!

6. Penny G profile image75
    Penny Gposted 3 years ago

Many times they do in their actions as well as comments. I have taken suicide prevention classes and it is something most do not ave opportunity to do. It is a requirement at my word, and it helps in my life outside work as well.

working