Rather than slam a door or throw things, how can a person physically vent anger

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Ebonny profile image81
    Ebonnyposted 9 years ago

Rather than slam a door or throw things, how can a person physically vent anger in a positive way?

i.e. in a way that gets the frustration or anger out in a physical way that doesn't create a bad atmosphere or cause undue concern to those around you - particularly if they are nothing to do with the source of the frustration or anger.

2. profile image52
    rabiaazizposted 9 years ago

Well there are positive ways to vent anger and the best way is that if you are sitting at the time of anger , stand up. Similarly, if your are already standing then sit down. Drink plenty of water.

Ebonnyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing - never thought of that.

3. profile image0
    temptor94posted 9 years ago

One good way to vent your anger and be productive at the same time is to do house cleaning. You can scrub and dust with all your strength and pretend that you are doing it to the subject of your anger smile Another method I have found useful is to cut vegetables with the largest knife you have. Vent out all the violence on the vegetables, they need to be cut anyways smile

Good to use the energy for something practical and useful.  With the vegetables, I might refrain as in my vexed state I might not be as skillful as necessary and end up cutting a finger instead of a carrot LOL.

4. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 9 years ago

Ebonny, very difficult question.  My first instinct when angry is to slam things. I like rabiaaziz comment because it means changing directions and temptor94's comments because scrubbing is something to do that is close at hand. (I, myself, wouldn't try cutting vegetables with a knife. I don't want to be around anything sharp when I'm angry). For me, the concept of "not crossing the line" practiced when you're NOT angry can help and hopefully kick in when you are angry. There are so many moments in the day that we are successful in not crossing the line when you think about it. Once you cross the line, things change.  If you talk to yourself in non-angry times and keep that sentence in your mind, then when you're angry,  "I'm not going to cross that line" might become automatic. As Johnny Cash sang, "because of you, I walk the line..."  Because of others, we need to walk the line.  Once you cross that line everything worsens.  Staying on the other side creates peace.

Thanks Billie, I like the notion of noticing when we do not cross the line and resolving to do that all the time.  Makes good sense.

5. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 9 years ago

Start laughing. Look in a mirror and see how ridiculous anger is. Watch some good comedies and forget whatever happened. Anger is self torture. Laughter is the best medicine. You are always only dealing with your own thoughts and feelings. Everybody else is an illusion, an appearance that disappears. You are really alone with your thoughts. You create your own world. Without you, there is nothing. So love yourself at all times.

This is good - maybe look in the mirror and use a previously prepared mantra too.

6. IndependentMind profile image76
    IndependentMindposted 9 years ago

There is only one activity i can think of that can quell anger instantly.  Take your partner into the bedroom (or what ever room you desire) and enjoy yourself.  Guaranteed to quell anger, and put a smile on your face, as well as your partner.
    If you don't have a partner, my favorite saying has always been - if you want something done right - do it yourself.

Now this sounds interesting, and  If someone finds this works for them I guess they'll be looking for opportunities to get angry - ha ha

7. Creative Life profile image60
    Creative Lifeposted 9 years ago

Anger is a re-action.  Usually, from needs unmet.  It’s perfectly healthy and normal to feel angry when you’ve been mistreated, disrespected or wronged in some way. The feeling isn't the problem—it's what you do with it that makes a difference.  It's a good idea to notice the feelings of stress or agitation in your body beginning to fester. 

Take some deep breaths. To stop a fight from escalating, take some time-out.  You may need to slam the door, but go outside.   A brisk walk around the block is a great idea. It releases energy so you can approach the situation with a calmer frame of mind.

Yes, we can't eliminate anger so knowing how to recognise and deal with it positively is key.  Thanks for your answer.

8. liesl5858 profile image84
    liesl5858posted 9 years ago

I think the best way to vent your anger is to go and do some digging in the garden if you have one, or go for a good hour run on the beach or mountains. This will get your body toned and you will have good muscles too.

1. profile image0
      temptor94posted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is a good one smile

2. Ebonny profile image81

Gardening wouldn't work for me personally, but I love the idea of going for a run or exercising.  Thanks for sharing.

9. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

I had a friend in high school who was very artistic. When she got really angry she had sheets that she would hang in her back yard and fire off her paint ball gun at the sheets. The result were very cool sheets and her frustration had been vented.

Yeah, having a strategy ready before things happen is sensible.

10. Penny G profile image59
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

I would suggest taking anger management classes. These are taught by people who know things that are tried and true to work. I work in a prison and that is class many of them are required to take.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)