jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

How long should new glasses (no line bifocals) feel weird?

1. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

How long should new glasses (no line bifocals) feel weird?

I've been told that when I pick up my new glasses I will likely feel weird for awhile when wearing them.  I am not sure what that means or for how long I may feel that way.   I had my eyes checked and realized my eyesight has been triggering the bad migraines I've been having for the past month.  So, things have been interesting.  I am wondering if new glasses will take the headaches away right away? or how long I'll "feel weird" with them? not sure what to expect? what is "weird" about glasses - I'm 40 and have never had them before.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 3 years ago

You may feel weird for a few days until your eyes become adjusted to your new glasses. Maybe even dizzy and nauseous. But, your eyes will adjust. Good luck with your migraines. I know what you are going through.

ChristinSposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I was actually dizzy a bit and kind of started to wonder if I had a health problem - my eyes deteriorated so gradually, I didn't realize how badly I couldn't see! smile Thanks JThomp I hope it's just a few days.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 3 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome.

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I was told the same thing. A few people I know who got bifocals told me they felt "sea sick" until they got used to the different focusing on different parts of the lens. I'd have to say this happens to some people and be caused by both the no line and visible bifocals. I myself didn't have this problem, but even after almost a month there are times when I'm walking that I glance down and end up looking through the reading part of the lens and it blurs my vision. If your prescription is strong for one or the other (near and far), it may take a few weeks for your eyes to grow accustomed to quickly changing from one to the other. If you're like me, the main cause of the weird feeling will be learning how to use the lenses without moving your head as you did before and not looking through the proper spot on the lens. It took me a while to get the hang of only moving my eyes up or down and not my whole head. As I said though, there are still times I still do the wrong thing, but I'm getting used to them.

cool thank you. I had been having headaches and feeling woozy which prompted me to get glasses lol smile I hope it doesn't last too long. Definitely will take some getting used to it sounds like!

4. profile image0
    LisaKeatingposted 3 years ago

I never was able to make the adjustment. I think it depends on your individual eyesight problem. Hopefully you will adjust in about a week.

I certainly hope so, so far it's been a little tricky, mostly when walking smile

5. MizBejabbers profile image91
    MizBejabbersposted 3 years ago

I think you should get immediate relief regardless, but it will depend on how fast your muscles relax.
    You are fortunate you've just started having to wear glasses. I've been wearing correction since I was 21. I could see great the first time I ever put on a pair of glasses. I could make out the leaves on trees and see the clapboards on houses down the street! I'm saying that I didn't feel funny then, and you may never feel weird. Weird to me means that the world doesn't look real, like maybe a little curved or out of line, colors are brighter, and lights at night are smaller and don't spread all over the front of cars.
    If you feel strange for more than a day, call your eye doctor and have them checked out. Some people, like me, who do close work or a lot of reading never get used to no-lines because there isn't enough strength at the bottom of the glasses. I had to go back to lined ones. Another thing, don't try to drive in them until you are sure that you are managing them well. Watch out on escalators! I still am uncomfortable getting onto one. Good luck!

1. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I like your advice about being careful about driving until you get used to them.

2. ChristinS profile image97

I did get relief from the headaches almost right away, but def. still an adjustment and I def. don't want to drive with them yet smile leaves on tree tops are cool though smile I do a lot of computer work, hope I didn't make the wrong choice with no lines!

working