Just cut my hand... any advice?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (32 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I just had a knife slip about 1cm into the web between thumb and pointer finger.

Have put a bandaid over it and seems to be not bleeding much but starting to sting.

Any advice?

1. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well who did put band aid?..go to doc wrylit...we need your hand till you post 10k hubs...

WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Home alone with my baby, hubby won't be home for another four hours... so I'm not planning on driving anywhere!

Oh and I can totally hub one handed. It's my left hand. tongue

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Go see a real doctor, don't ask for virtual advice from strangers.

3. saleheensblog profile image60
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If doctor is not readily available:
      1. Few drops of tear on the injured area will really help as tear contains Iodine that is an effective antiseptic. Saliva also contain  Iodine which also work as an antiseptic.
      2. Onion sap is helpful for quick remedy and pain release in such injuries.

Please read the post at the bottom of this thread. smile

1. saleheensblog profile image60
          saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can't understand which post you are talking about but I am just happy to know that you are better now and laughing and torturing over your keyboard smile

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/58110#post1334421

LoL torturing. Yep that's probably what my keyboard thinks!

4. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

don't dribble blood on the keyboard smile

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Ouch! Just keep it really clean and put some antiseptic ointment on it. I bet it will be fine. If it starts to feel warm or you get a fever, or if it keeps opening up, then go to the doctor.

Thanks Nelle. Have a doc appt Monday for something else so might get her to take a look then.

3. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

Put ice on it.  That will slow the metabolic process.  Lessen the pain.  Slow the blood flow.

4. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

Remove the thumb immediately and immediately paint your nails! lol

no seriously, apply pressure if in 10 minutes it is bleeding badly (like you can't do anything without blood dripping)

Best get a few stitches if its bad enough.  I always get so mad though by the time I wait 3 hours in Emerg It stops bleeding!  ha

above all else MOST IMPORTANT TO KEEP RUNNING AREA UNDER WATER-KEEP IT CLEAN!

BE OKAY, OK?

1. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Remove the thumb immediately and immediately paint your nails!  lol...

5. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

just raise your arm - a nice sharp cut should close right up, elevating above the heart will slow blood loss - keep you from getting woozy while your alone.

thats a nasty spot for a cut though - done it quite a few times and never enjoyed it in the least!

6. WryLilt profile image88

Thank you all. Still freakin' sore but otherwise ok.

Too scared to raise the bandaid... gonna wait for hubby to come home (YAY only an hour to go) and he can take a look lol...

7. sannyasinman profile image59
    sannyasinmanposted 13 years ago

Run cold water over the cut, then cover it completely in Aloe Vera (the real stuff straight from the plant).

8. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

If a bandaid is keeping the wound closed and it's not seeping (or gushing) blood out you are doing well!
    Best things to do:
    1. Keep running cold water on it to keep it clean
    2. Apply pressure to the site with your other hand (or your other, beautifully painted nails on the same hand).
    3. If you have aloe vera where you live, good for you! Otherwise, apply an antibiotic ointment like neosporin to keep it disinfected.
    4. If you have any gauze that would be better than a plain old bandaid.
    5. As for the pain ... take whatever will make you feel better (Tylenol, glass of wine, shot of tequila ... all good:-).

Feel better, wrylit! MM

9. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

If you poked a hole a cm deep in that web, it will probably heal OK.  If you cut a slice into it so that the slice opens up when you spread your thumb (hope that makes sense) I think you badly need stitches.  Every time your thumb moves, that nasty cut will open again and will not likely heal well.  Even if it does, scar tissue will likely form and make a lump that could be quite uncomfortable.

10. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

I hope you are doing okay now!

11. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
    mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years ago

So long as the wound is now clean ignore all advice that says to continue to keep 'running water' on the wound. This would only succeed in stopping the blood clotting, which you need it to do to seal the wound. Keep the arm/hand elevated to allow gravity to assist in reducing blood flow to the area (and again this will help in clotting). Apply gentle but firm pressure to the area if bleeding persists to prevent bleeding and give time for the blood to clot and seal the wound. Do not be tempted to interfere further by applying anything else until you have seen a Doctor, even antiseptic creams might not be a good idea unless a Doctor has first checked out the wound. If you are worried about infections use salt water to flush out the wound area, it might sting, but it will be safe and effective.

Sorry Mighty Mom, glass of wine bad idea as this thins the blood and will slow down any clotting process, (although rather good as pain relief I have to agree LOL) smile

Trust me, I have held a First Aider at Work Certificate (people) and also worked in a Vets surgery previously.

12. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
    mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years ago

LOL big time. Just noticed this was posted 11 days ago, so if you are still bleeding now you have probably not got long to live due to excessive blood loss. Assuming you survived I would love to know what the result of the Doctor's visit ended up being smile

13. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 13 years ago

Oh wow!  11 days ago this happened?  Has anyone seen Wry around lately?  I haven't, come to think of it!  oh no!

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
      mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't fret, she has posted on http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/59038 in the last few hours, so I am guessing the wound was not too serious thankfully smile

14. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Misty, what's up? I hope you are well. smile Nice to see you again. smile

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
      mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Cagsil, still around, just been winding down the allotment for this year, plus being obsessed with making chutneys and marmalades right now (see my recent hubs). All is well. Hope you are okay and really love your avatar, beautiful blue eyes on that tiger smile

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am doing well. Thank you. smile The tiger was a change that was due. lol I'll have to check out your recent hubs... wink

15. cathylynn99 profile image75
    cathylynn99posted 13 years ago

wash with mild soap and water. rinse. pat dry. bandage. polysporin is less likely to cause an allergic reaction than neosporin. clean and rebandage daily. if bleeding stops (and it sounds like it has) stitches are unnecessary, though if you go to a doc they will stitch it because that's what docs do. i know. i was one.

16. WryLilt profile image88

Since there seems to be some questions as to my hand's health, I just thought I'd let everyone know that I managed to keep the arm (it was touch and go there for awhile!)

Luckily it didn't get infected and it sealed itself within 24 hours so I didn't bother getting the doctor to check it. I think because it was a straight in, clean cut it wasn't as bad as a slice.

Thanks for the concern and I'll go back to my usual - stabbing, cutting, running into walls and dropping things on my toes. Am a bit of a klutz!

1. Urbane Chaos profile image91
      Urbane Chaosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So the moral of the story is this: Don't play 5-finger fillet with an extremely sharp knife.  It stings when you miss.

Really though, glad you didn't lose a thumb - or an arm.  That could have been bad for your hub-career. tongue

1. quuenieproac profile image60
        quuenieproacposted 13 years agoin reply to this

After all the commotion, you must be feeling warm all over with so many hubbers rushing to give you  first aid advice. See how they  all feel for you little sister! So now make sure your wound does not have a big gap that will give you a scar.  Keep it clean and dry . Wash with antiseptic and plaster or bandage it properly.

17. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image37
    DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 13 years ago

if by chance you cut yourself and perhaps live in the woods, all alone, cannot drive yourself to emergency, those type of scenarios. the hottest (extra heat units) cayenne pepper poured into a "gaping wound" will heal, bring blood flow, prevent infection as well as anything. my naturopathic doc buddy does live 5 miles in on a dirt road in the mountains and his wife slashed herself good. cayenne, 160,000 heat units did the trick.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)