Depression

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. CARIBQUEEN profile image63
    CARIBQUEENposted 13 years ago

I have noticed that people who are depressed generally feel sorry for themselves. Why is that?

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

actually, it's possible to feel depressed without specifically 'feeling sorry for oneself'.  It's very low mood or empty mood, and a sense of worthlessness and pointlessness (which is different from feeling sorry for oneself).

It's a chemical imbalance in brain, and for some people, it's triggered by simple things such as food chemicals

2. dkanofsky profile image58
      dkanofskyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I was going through the severest  of major depressive episodes,  I could only focus on the hurt and pain, not on anyone or anything else.    It was not a conscious choice I made but  due to the depression itself.  I was diagnosed with the severest form, clinical depression.    It definitely was not a fun time.

1. Amber12 profile image59
        Amber12posted 13 years agoin reply to this

manic depression is the severest.

2. Amber12 profile image59
        Amber12posted 13 years agoin reply to this

manic depression is the severest.

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

Maybe low self-esteem.

3. h.a.borcich profile image62
    h.a.borcichposted 13 years ago

I think people get depressed and feel sorry for themselves when they feel overwhelmed and helpless. There are many degrees of depression, too.

4. cobrien profile image60
    cobrienposted 13 years ago

Clinical depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain and has nothing to do with people "feeling sorry for themselves".

1. MPG Narratives profile image59
      MPG Narrativesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree cobrien. Depression is more than 'feeling sorry for yourself', it is a deep saddness with profound consequences on everyday life. Depression is a serious illness and should not be belittled.

1. tritrain profile image71
        tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.

It's that kind of stigma that makes one very reluctant to tell anyone else you have it.

5. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

One sign of depression can be feeling helpless, so I think sometimes if a person is expressing/showing his sense of feeling helpless; it can be interpreted (incorrectly) as "feeling bad for himself".  The same person can know "in his head" that he has lots and lots in his life that he can (and maybe even does) feel grateful or, or happy about.  I think sometimes, it's just that that sense of hopelessness can "leak out".

Sometimes, too, when someone (depressed or not) brings up bad things that have happened to him, people get squirmy.  They may not have been through similar things and not really feel comfortable having to hear about it.

Someone whose "depressed feelings" (whether or not he has mild depression) may be living in a situation that's wearing away at their energy and good mood.  Whether it's this kind of mild depression or something else, people suffering with this kind of issue often become acutely aware of how absolutely little the people around them understand what they're going through (or have gone through).  They may try to explain what's going on with them as a way of stopping others from saying things that don't apply or make the depressed person feel more isolated and misunderstood than ever.  Any time someone tries to explain bad stuff, they run the risk of seeming like they're "whining".  People tend to equate what sounds like whining with self-pity.

I think, whatever degree or kind of depression someone has, it can feel as if just when he needs the support and understanding of others, that's when they understand least (and even give him a little bit of hard time because they don't understand what he's going through).  A person with self-esteem may know he doesn't deserve to have people say things that amount of unintended insults to his thinking or ability to manage unhappiness; but he may try to find a way to nicely help others understand better.  Or, someone may feel that (while they don't mean to do this) others kind of "attack" him when they don't understand what he's going through.  So, again, he'll try to point out/explain what he's going through as a way of hoping they'll understand better; and stop saying things that further isolate him.  Sometimes it's not that someone is engaging in self-pity or hoping to get sympathy or pity from the other person - only his wish to end what is often the merciless suggestions and remarks from people who may mean well, but don't understand what he's really going through.   hmm

CARIBQUEENposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks for the explanation - I never knew what it was.  A few years ago I was told to snap out of it - I never knew how.  Eventually, with counselling and medication I came out of it but did not know why the sorry feeling were there. I had friend who went through similar situations so there was need for understanding.

6. goprisca profile image40
    gopriscaposted 13 years ago

This is related to endocrine glands of the body.

7. dingdondingdon profile image61
    dingdondingdonposted 13 years ago

That's a rather unpleasant assumption to make. Depression is a serious illness, not just a long pity party. I certainly hope you never suffer from it.

Sorry, I never meant to step on anyone toes or belittle the condition.  I definitely know what it is like.

8. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

Excellent posts above, especially the explanation by Lisa HW.

I have been interested to read in recent months that a study of people's perceptions of reality showed that people who are depressed are the ones who have the most accurate perception of reality.  In other words, a healthy amount of "unrealistic" optimism is important for everyday functioning. 

So, in addition to medication, meditation, counseling, and other healthy therapies for depression, everyone might do well to aim for some daily positive thinking, even if it seems untrue, just for the medicinal value it can provide.

9. tlpoague profile image79
    tlpoagueposted 13 years ago

I am a person that has spent most of my life surrounded by depression. I grew up in a negative environment, so surrounded myself with negative people. Before long, I too grew depressed, feeling that I was inadequate and untalented. I couldn't handle criticism no matter if it was positive or negative.
    From childhood and even until now, I get migraines and having sever mood swings. When I went to see a neurologist, he told me it was from the amount of stress I was placing upon myself and  a possible chemical imbalance. Once I was able to identify with the triggers that set off my depression and stress, I was able to handle it better. I recently found out that some of my family members have been labeled clinically depressed and are seeking help for it.
    When my depression hits, I try to do a number of things to ease it. I will do a bible study with prayer, listen to music and write, find a close friend that helps me to vent while we shop or play a game, or pretty much anything that is positive. I always let my family know when I am having a down day so that they will understand why I am having mood swings. I hope this helps. smile

That is a great move and strategy that you use.  It seems that you have people around you who understand, so that is a plus for you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)