How do you pay for health costs without insurance?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Bellamie profile image61
    Bellamieposted 13 years ago

Have you heard about the new health care credit card?  What do you think of it?  I feel it will put the average person further in debt.  Would love to hear your opinions.

1. Jillian Barclay profile image73
      Jillian Barclayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Be really careful, especially with GE Care Credit. They are all over the country, the doctors and dentists that offer them get a commission and they are being investigated in many states. Go to www.patientadvocate.org. See if they have any programs that can help you.

Bellamieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks for the info.  I will check out the website.

2. Chatkath profile image72
        Chatkathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Definitely be careful of GE Care Credit. I used them to finance dental work years ago and they had one of the highest interest rates I had ever seen. I eventually transferred to another card but it was very appealing at the time since they had 1 year free interest however with an $8000 dental bill it was impossible to pay off in a year!

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Hell, you can’t pay health costs even with insurance…

Bellamieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know, right?   so sad!  so aggravating!

3. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

move to Canada

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is not out of the realm of possibility... smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image61

If one moves to Canada, what does one have to do to qualify for medical coverage?

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Healthcare is a provincial (eg state) mater, so it varies from province to province.  In Ontario, where i live....

You may be eligible for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) if you are included under one of the following categories :

* you are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, landed immigrant or are registered as an Indian under the Indian Act;
            * you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada;
            * you have applied for a grant of citizenship under section 5.1 of the Citizenship Act (Canada), and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for citizenship (i.e. children adopted internationally by Canadian citizens);
            * you are a “protected person” - i.e. a Convention Refugee or a person in need of protection as referred to in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
            * you are a foreign worker who holds a work permit valid for at least 6-months which permits you to work in Canada, and you are working under a formal agreement in place to work full-time for an employer situated in Ontario which sets out the employer’s name, your occupation, and states that you will be working for no less than six consecutive months;
            * you are a foreign clergy member who will be providing services to a religious congregation in Ontario for at least six months;
            * you hold a Temporary Resident Permit with case type 80 (for adoption only), 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 or 95;
            * you are the spouse, same sex partner, or dependent child (under 22 years old or 22 years and over if dependent due to a mental or physical disability) of an OHIP-eligible foreign clergy member or OHIP-eligible foreign worker;
            * you hold a valid work permit under the federal Live-in Caregiver Program;
            * you hold a valid work permit under the federal Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program;

AND, generally speaking

* you make your primary place of residence in Ontario;
            * you are in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately following the date you establish residence in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residence);
            * you are in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period.

Thank you very much, Greek One.

3. kephrira profile image60
      kephriraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good one - or come to the UK. I don't really know the rules but I think if you have anything more than a short term tourist visa you can get free treatment on the NHS.

Or for something major here are the top five medical tourism destinations:
      http://www.nuwireinvestor.com/articles/ … 51502.aspx

4. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think this is just a Canadien trick to get people from the US to migrate to Canada! smile

4. Stacie L profile image86
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

good option..if i needed an operation, would i be able to go to Canada for this and pay with my insurance? or would it be cheaper out of pocket?..

5. lady_love158 profile image60
    lady_love158posted 13 years ago

If you don't have insurance talk to your doctor. If you're paying fee for service he isn't going to charge you what he would bill the insurance company. If you need maintenance prescriptions talk with the drug companies many have programs for discounts also Walmart has a prescription plan with a 4 dollar co pay. If you have a serious illness that requires hospitalization you have a problem.  You can talk to a social worker at the hospital also talk to your local religious person.

1. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had no insurance when pregant with my first daughter. Sure, it was a GIGANTIC bill, but the hospital worked out a monthly payment plan with me. The payments to the hospital ended up less than the monthly cost of insurance I later got.

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Happened with us too, but I forget which of the children this was with. smile

2. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If I had to pay for every single ultrasound, OBGYN visit, Breastfeeding session (for the baby, not me smile, pediatrician visits, etc...

I would have told the doctor to put the child back inside the womb until he was 18, and just made sure my wife ate super-sized meals for his nourishment

2. Aficionada profile image80

Can you give more information about the Walmart prescription plan?  what does it involve?  Is a subscription to the service required?

1. lady_love158 profile image60
        lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know off hand but you should be able to get the info from their website or go to your local walmart pharmacy counter.

1. Aficionada profile image80

Thanks; will do.

2. cathylynn99 profile image77
        cathylynn99posted 13 years agoin reply to this

many walmart generics are available for $4 for a month's supply. you don't have to join a program. that's just their low price. giant eagle has a similar pricing policy plus some free antibiotics and anti-diabetic meds.

6. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 13 years ago

Simple….. don’t get sick or hurt, then die deep in the woods

Yep, and most of us go to Oregon to do that….

7. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

I go to the ER if I have too. The bill goes on my credit, can't afford to pay it...

8. classicalgeek profile image81
    classicalgeekposted 13 years ago

I keep enough cash to buy a Greyhound ticket to the Mexican border. If it's really serious I would fly to France. I can't afford insurance.

9. KCC Big Country profile image81
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

My personal insurance is almost completely paid for by my employer but I pay some pretty hefty premiums to add my husband and daughter.  On top of the monthly premiums, we each have a $400/yr deductible and 80/20 splits on many services.  Co-pays for visits are $30 and prescriptions are $35 generic/$55 name brand.

Like others have said Wal-mart and Target both have some commonly prescribed drugs on a $4 list.  Some doctors have samples they can give you as well to make your prescriptions stretch a bit. 

With insurance, I still have to bring over $500 with me on the 17th to have a test done because I haven't met my deductible yet this year and it's an 80/20 precedure.  Without insurance I probably wouldn't be able to afford the procedure.  $500 hurts as it is.   I'm still paying on $1500 of out of pocket medical expenses for my surgery back in June.

10. profile image58
    dwippyposted 13 years ago

I've never had a doctor refuse to treat me because I did not have insurance.  Some of them give a discount to the non-insured and some don't.  They have all taken payments without any problems.  I've also never been refused any tests when sent to the lab (or wherever) by a doctor.

11. profile image0
    mib56789posted 13 years ago

Click this link to find information about an assistance program for the UNINSURED and the UNDER-INSURED.

http://www.caprxprogram.org/Home.aspx?site=jmwalwil

Hope this helps.

I posted this link at my website where I take notes on health-related topics.

http://insurancemart.webs.com/

I'm trying to help!  Healthcare is a universal concern.

I never had a doctor refuse emergency treatment for lack of insurance.  But I did have to subsequently file for bankruptcy to get the medical bill forgiven or wiped out.  It shouldn't have to be this way.  This is America!

12. Phillip Ball profile image61
    Phillip Ballposted 13 years ago

My wife works in a hospital and  she see's Medi-cal, California's version of Medicaid a lot. So it seems that by paying my taxes I'm paying 40% of the population's healthcare cost. Everyone is up in arms about the government healthcare. We already have it, so why should only those who don't want to find a job get it. I understand we're hurting for jobs in this country, but this was going on when jobs were plentiful too.

13. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Nothing. I live in Australia. smile

14. profile image56
    SCarlisleposted 13 years ago

Actually...your best bet is to contact a local experienced broker who will differentiate between the scam products out there with legitimate health care plans.

Also...keep in mind that the state high risk pools may be able to help you. Yes, you have to meet some guidelines (like 6 months uninsured) but in some states, such as Pa, rates are affordable.

I hope this helps.

http://www.majormedicalhealth.com

15. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

With every dollar you make usually.  It is too expensive to pay out of pocket unless you are independently wealthy.  There are those that do not have to worry, but if you work, worry.

16. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

i was going to say move here, its free, but thought better of it as we are broke. We have to pay for presciptions, £7.50 a fling, and the dentist £15 for a check up and then we have to buy our own glasses too. i think we take it for granted and dont think about the cost as it is always there.

17. profile image57
    dsmith0301posted 13 years ago

If you need to save $$$ on your Prescription Drugs (normally 30% to 70%) check out Provisionrx Prescription Discount Cards.

I thought it was a scam but tried the card and I save $80 on my prescription and I have pretty decent insurance. I was so shocked I became part of the company. To get a free Discount Card go to my website:  WWW.DENNISSMITH.PROVISIONRX.COM
    THE CARD WORKS and you can make $$$ also.

ps.. Also has good Imaging (MRI,CT scan) discount.

Best to your health

DS

18. profile image51
    ForYourInfoposted 13 years ago

Definitely be aware of GE Care Credit.If you are still having treatment without any kind of insurance then firstly consult your doctor.He/she can suggest you perfect one for one.Insurance is mostly important as because the upraising of medical expenses is a big worry for our living hood.

19. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

I don't believe a Doctor would refuse to treat anyone. The Problem is...getting to see the Doctor!
    I have been turned away when I needed a Doctor because of the people in front of the Doctor. They will and do refuse patients. These people do not care if you are sick or not.
    All they care about is the paperwork created for them. They care about getting off work on time and you are in their way if you are sick and your meeting the Doctor causes them to have to stay late.
    "Office Staff" for Doctors and Hospitals should be held to the same code/laws that the Doctors are held to. When an Office person refuses Medical care to anyone, that person needs to be held legally responsible.

20. Ryan Queen profile image60
    Ryan Queenposted 12 years ago

Reading this forum made me happy being a ontarian, I have HIV yet the available drug programs made it possible for me to access medical care.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)