Have you ever kept a daily journal?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (23 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image77
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

did it help you figure out what your triggers were and help you control your moods?

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

still do with a dream journal.  No question a map to my thinking and moods smile

schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

cool wink wink that's awesome smile I'm usually too lazy but getting into the habit now smile

2. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Last time I kept a journal it lasted for 6 months. I recently went back and read it and realized that WOW! Im insane. lol

it's so cool to see where you were back then, even in a romantic relationship esp if you need to remember how much of a bad ass he was LOL lol

3. rlaha profile image60
      rlahaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I kept a diary type of journal.  Anything important to me that had happened to me that day was written down in it.  I had a few of them actually.  That's a great question.

gratitude journals are good too smile I went to barnes and noble today and omg the selections are LIMITLESS! Mommy please buy me a leatherbound one for ...spring lol

1. rlaha profile image60
          rlahaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What are gratitude journals? I have never heard of those.  The bookstores do have a variety of journals.  I hope you get one smile.

4. Deborah Brooks profile image60
      Deborah Brooksposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes I have kept one for years  and that's what got me to write.. Journals are wonderful..

5. FloBe profile image65
      FloBeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have kept a daily journal for over 20 years now. When I first started, I wrote for hours each day trying to figure out my life and sort out my past. Gradually, it became the place where I could vent my feelings and thoughts and find clarity in my life. I realized through time that I process things of the heart best through writing by hand (not typing). So, the journal has become my friend in whom I confide my deepest heart processes. Some of this finds its way into writing that I share with others, but it is not the original reason why I write.

6. NatalieSack profile image61
      NatalieSackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have, and I do.  No, it doesn't help me control my moods--which tend to be extreme--but it does help me recognize patterns that lead to my moods, such as the triggers that set me off.  It also helps me see clearly my negative thinking patterns, which makes it easier to get myself on a more positive path.

1. NatalieSack profile image61
        NatalieSackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it did.  It took a while.  I had to get a lot of steady entries before I could see a pattern, but two did emerge.  I wrote every day for twelve weeks (Just an arbitrary date.  Yours could be shorter.) then I went back and read over all the entries and highlighted the insights I found.

It's helped me a lot.

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image77
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

I've found my most stable years were when my home life was stable and I was working.

smile

3. randomcreative profile image87
    randomcreativeposted 12 years ago

I kept a paper one for many years growing up.  For a long time, it would often help me work out my thoughts and feelings or just put me at peace to get things out on paper.  Now I find that I can work out a lot of those thoughts and feelings by talking with others.  I do blog online almost every day, but it isn't the same.

cool smile

4. stacyjwx profile image59
    stacyjwxposted 12 years ago

Writing was therapeutic for me since I was 14 yrs. old. Keeping a daily journal helped me because I could spill my thoughts onto paper or blog, read it over later, and gain greater meaning from it. I choose this instead of telling someone else because the paper doesn't get offended. :-P

I was also most stable when I was journaling/blogging. I write down my dreams and use the journal as much as I possibly can. I probably own too many of them but journaling is something I really love to do.

hey stacy
      very cool smile

5. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

I should have, however would have had to spend half my life writing it all. Not that I didn't think of it but I would not carry a notebook as I would not carry a camera. What it does is create a narrow context for the experience of reality, so that it is not objective, and one will only notice that which applies.

6. pstraubie48 profile image82
    pstraubie48posted 12 years ago

yes, as a matter of fact, i have kept several.
    and i still have them and maybe one day i will dig them out dust them off and see if i would like to share themm.
    one i began at age 9 and it lasted till i was 12. it chronicled those wonder years of my early youth...
    then i kept one from the time my daughter wsa 11 until she was about 21. after that my life was 'too busy' to pursue my passion.

Nice!

7. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

Yes, I kept a paper one for a few years when I was about 19. Sadly it largely ended up consisting of a day by day account of my regular beatings from my boyfriend/later fiance/later lover (after he arranged to marry an ex behind my back.) He discovered my diary on one occasion and it caused a major row. Later the same diary got me into yet more trouble again when a landlord found it under my bed and read it, and discovered I had commented on his constant attempts to seduce me and how I would have to move out if it didn't stop. He went mad about it too. To cut a long story short when I was finally free and content again I literally binned it, although now I wish I had kept it just to show my family what it was like day to day dating my ex, and living the tough life where you never seem to be able to earn enough to survive alone, (I lived on toast for weeks at a time so I could pay the rent, and this was back in about 1990).

8. KrystalD profile image67
    KrystalDposted 12 years ago

I have kept a journal since I was about 8 or 0 years old. I credil journaling with maintaining my sanity through what proved to be quite a tumultous childhood/adolestance. I would recommend it for anyone...at any age! I stil journal though less regularly.

9. NightFlower profile image61
    NightFlowerposted 12 years ago

It so strange...as much as I love writing I could never get into keeping a diary or a journal. I used to like the idea of it but it just didn't catch on.  A truth to me...stranger than fiction. lol.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)