jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (18 posts)

What do you do if you're stressed out at the Christmas party?

1. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 5 years ago

What do you do if you're stressed out at the Christmas party?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

I also find these situations stressful, so I do no attend Christmas nor any other type of party. This is understood, so this is what people have grown to except.

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Normally I get a little stressed out because there are so many people all talking and cramped in a little space so I start feeling closed in... So I pinch the skin on my left hand between my pointer finger and thumb, close my eyes, and do little breathing exercises until I count to ten. It's a combination of two methods used to get rid of stress and calm you down. I've used the method for years and it always helps me. Hope you find something to fit your situation! Good luck!

4. profile image0
    An AYMposted 5 years ago

Have a drink... imagine everyone in their underwear?

5. kohuether profile image75
    kohuetherposted 5 years ago

I always bring a wine I absolutely love (lately all the parties I've been to only serve white zinfandel!) and then make sure I drink at least two glasses. smile

6. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 5 years ago

? I have never been stressed out a Christmas party! But if I was, I would probably just try to focus on the positives (good food, etc) and I would be interested in the people around me and what they do, and how they are feeling.

7. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
    ReneeDC1979posted 5 years ago

If I'm throwing the party I get stressed out that I will be finished with preparations in time (ie. setting up, cooking, etc.)  If I'm a guest I get stressed I may not have fun.  Either way, I tell myself what doesn't get done was not meant to be, and as a guest I tell myself Renee' just enjoy yourself.  Life is too short!  Live a Little.

8. joanwz profile image74
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

I don't attend most parties. There are a few family parties that I attend. If they get to be too overwhelming, I walk outside for a breath of fresh air. if I know going in, that I'm going to be too overwhelmed to stay for the whole thing, I make arrangements with my husband to leave early. We have have a key word or phrase that we can use as an indicator to the other person that it's time to say our goodbyes and and a ready "excuse" should anyone ask. But it has to sound like a legit excuse. Can't keep saying one of us is not feeling well or something like that. We could always say something like we have another party to attend.

9. annart profile image87
    annartposted 5 years ago

Leave!  Not worth the bother if it's stressful.  Can't see me getting stressed though as I let things go over my head if people are annoying or drunk or....

10. LouTucci profile image78
    LouTucciposted 5 years ago

Have one drink for every problem that's causing you stress*

11. carolina muscle profile image75
    carolina muscleposted 5 years ago

me, i would leave. nothing all that interesting is gonna happen, and you'll miss the office drunk doing his usual routine.

1. LouTucci profile image78
      LouTucciposted 5 years agoin reply to this

where's the fun in that!

12. Denmarkguy profile image93
    Denmarkguyposted 5 years ago

I generally avoid them altogether, as I typically find them neither "enjoyable," "fun" OR "relaxing." If I do have to attend an "obligatory" party-- work related, for example-- I pretty much have an idea of how long I am going to stay; I arrive, make myself "visible," and then leave.

But I'm an introvert. That doesn't mean I'm antisocial-- I like people just fine... I just happen to like my people ONE AT A TIME.

13. Nellieanna profile image81
    Nellieannaposted 5 years ago

Go home and enjoy yourself quietly.  Why suffer?

14. Deborah Demander profile image91
    Deborah Demanderposted 5 years ago

First, I take a deep breath and realize that everyone else is probably as uncomfortable as I am. Then, I look for someone standing by themselves to talk to. Asking them about themselves helps to break the ice. Also have a drink and a snack in your hands, it gives you something to do with your hands and something to talk about if the conversation lags.

1. annart profile image87
      annartposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Great suggestions!

15. Goody5 profile image71
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

I just pick all my things up, and go home.

1. duffsmom profile image60
      duffsmomposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Me too! - that is if I couldn't find a way not to attend at all!  :-)