What book are you reading right now?

Jump to Last Post 51-100 of 107 discussions (133 posts)
  1. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 8 years ago

How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn

I read this book when I was a teenager and found it a sad and haunting story. I'm enjoying reading it again. I'm noticing things that I didn't see when I was younger.

2. Paul Kuehn profile image94
    Paul Kuehnposted 8 years ago

Lately I have been reading "David Copperfield" by Charles Dickens.  It is an excellent novel and even better than his novels "Great Expectations" and "Oliver Twist" which I have already read.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

Right now: Reckless: My Life as a Pretender by Chrissie Hynde

On deck: Snakes! Guillotines! Electric Chairs! My Adventures in the Alice Cooper Group by Dennis Dunaway

4. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Right now:
    Tough Sh*t: Life Advice From a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good by Kevin Smith

On deck:
    Living Like a Runaway by Lita Ford

5. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Just finished:

Amazing, Fantastic, Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir by Stan Lee

On deck:
    Silent Bob Speaks: The Collected Writings of Kevin Smith by Kevin Smith

6. AnnaDanishek profile image60
    AnnaDanishekposted 8 years ago

Vladimir Nabokov's lectures on Russian literature

7. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 7 years ago

Just finished:

Black Sabbath: Symptom of the Universe by Mick Wall

Just started:
    Van Halen Rising: How a Southern California Backyard Party Band Saved Heavy Metal, by Greg Renoff

On deck:
    Living Like a Runaway, by Lita Ford
    (which has been bumped from my "on deck" circle several times by other books over the past few weeks, but which I WILL start next. I really really mean it this time.)

8. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Tearing Down the Wall of Sound: the Rise and Fall of Phil Spector by Mick Brown

9. Amanda108 profile image86
    Amanda108posted 7 years ago

Just finished The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, which was amazing from start to finish. I'm not used to horror novels being both terrifying and displaying beautiful use of language.

I'm now enjoying The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness - so far anyway it's a really unique acknowledgment of the way characterization typically works in the many supernatural/scifi YA novels out there (which I love, don't get me wrong).

10. SheilaMilne profile image93
    SheilaMilneposted 7 years ago

I've just finished <i>A Dictionary of Mutual Understanding<i>, by Jackie Copleton, about family secrets and the aftermath of the Nagasaki bomb.

Now I'm reading <i>The Little Paris Bookshop<i> by Nina George, translated from German by Simon Pare.

11. FatFreddysCat profile image93

"The Road to Woodstock" by Michael Lang

12. FatFreddysCat profile image93

"Gilliamesque: a Pre-Posthumous Memoir" by Terry Gilliam (Monty Python)

13. FatFreddysCat profile image93

"Your Favorite Band Is Killing Me: What Pop Music Rivalries Reveal About the Meaning of Life" by Steven Hyden

14. FatFreddysCat profile image93

The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time, by Douglas Adams

15. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Nerd Girl Rocks Paradise City: Faking It in Hair Metal L.A. by Anne Soffee

16. FatFreddysCat profile image93

George Lucas: A Life by Bryan Jay Jones

17. FatFreddysCat profile image93

James Bond: Win, Lose or Die by John Gardner

18. FatFreddysCat profile image93

The Daily Show (The Book) - An Oral History as Told By Jon Stewart, the Correspondents, Staff and Guests by Chris Smith

19. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years ago

"The Last Telegram" a novel about a family of silk makers in England during WWII.  They made parachute silk.  It was a lovely story.

20. Dean Traylor profile image95
    Dean Traylorposted 7 years ago

1984, George Orwell; The World's Most Famous Math Problem, Marilyn Dos Savant, Thr Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

21. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 7 years ago

Mein Kampf

22. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Anger Is An Energy: My Life Uncensored by John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten)

23. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Song Of Spider-Man: The Inside Story of the Most Controversial Musical in Broadway History by Glenn Berger

24. Paul Kuehn profile image94
    Paul Kuehnposted 7 years ago

I am reading "Hard Times" by Charles Dickens.  I really like the satire in this novel and it is just as good as "David Copperfield". "Great Expectations," and "Oliver Twist" that I have already read.

25. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

Some graphic novel collections:

Spider-Man and Red Sonja, written by Mike Avon Oeming

and

Astonishing X-Men written by Joss Whedon

26. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Various - Deadpool: The Complete Collection Vol. 1 (Marvel Comics)

1. grand old lady profile image85
      grand old ladyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I finished Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan in two days. Highly recommended. Now I am reading Asia's Cauldron by Robert D. Kaplan

27. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Batman: The Long Halloween (graphic novel) by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale

28. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Kicking & Screaming: A Story of Heart, Soul and Rock & Roll by Ann and Nancy Wilson

29. viking305 profile image93
    viking305posted 6 years ago

Robert McKee - Story - The Principles of Screenwriting

30. Arioch profile image68
    Ariochposted 6 years ago

William King - Skaven Slayer - a Gotrek and Felix novel

31. jjackson786 profile image81
    jjackson786posted 6 years ago

Just started Stephen King's "Black House". Kinda disappointed to find out that it's a sequel though.....

32. FatFreddysCat profile image93

A Carlin Home Companion: Growing Up With George by Kelly Carlin

33. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

just finished listening to the audiobook,
    Devil's Bargain: Steve Bannon, Donald Trump, and the Storming of the Presidency by Joshua Green

34. Amanda108 profile image86
    Amanda108posted 6 years ago

Just finished The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey and I'm now onto the next in the trilogy: The Infinite Sea.

35. FatFreddysCat profile image93

DC Showcase Presents: Batman (500 pages of vintage Batman/Detective Comics issues from the late 60s)

Bill Graham Presents: My Life Inside Rock and Out by Bill Graham and Robert Greenfield

36. Sed-me profile image79
    Sed-meposted 6 years ago
  37. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Ice: A Memoir of Gangster Life and Redemption, From South Central to Hollywood by Ice-T and Douglas Century

38. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Cosby: His Life and Times by Mark Whitaker
    (this biography was published shortly before Cos' recent legal troubles began; I imagine that it would read quite differently if it were released today, haha)

Batman: The Dynamic Duo Archives Vol. 1 by Bob Kane & more

39. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Batman: Eternal Vol. 2 by Scott Snyder/Tim Seeley

Wally's World: The Brilliant Life and Tragic Death of Wally Wood, the World's 2nd Best Comic Book Artist by Steve Sanger and J. David Spurlock

40. FatFreddysCat profile image93

The Unauthorized X-Men: SF and Comic Writers on Mutants, Prejudice and Adamantium edited by Len Wein

41. IsraelMercado profile image60
    IsraelMercadoposted 6 years ago

Words of Radiance - Book 2 of the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson

42. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Just finished:Ramones At 40 by Martin Popoff

Now reading: Stay Ugly by King Fowley and Mike Sloan

On deck: What Does This Button Do? by Bruce Dickinson

43. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 6 years ago

I'm reading "The Everything Health Guide To Alzheimer's Disease"
    By Maureen Dezell with Dr. Carrie Hill PhD

Trying to find anything that might help to slow down or even reverse the disease that my Mom suffers with.  She is 90, but I'd like to keep her around for another 10 years or more.

44. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Stephen King, The Bazaar of Bad Dreams

45. Dean Traylor profile image95
    Dean Traylorposted 6 years ago

Just finished Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King
    Nearly finished with The World's Most Famous Math Problem by Marilyn Vos Savant
    Starting Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Cristie

46. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 6 years ago

The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene

47. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Various, Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View (short story collection)

48. Paul Kuehn profile image94
    Paul Kuehnposted 6 years ago

Bleak House by  Charles Dickens

49. Shogun profile image40
    Shogunposted 6 years ago

At my request, a delightful friend gave me a copy of Steven Pressfield's "The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles." I've been a writer for a long time, and I've always found it difficult to jump back into writing. It tends to be a slow and gradual process, and this book is certainly providing a bit of insight.

50. K S Lane profile image94
    K S Laneposted 6 years ago

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. I'm about half-way through and loving it. I can't believe it took me so long to decide to read such a classic!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)