Do you write on HubPages for the money, or for your own enjoyment?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (22 posts)
  1. ezhang profile image81
    ezhangposted 12 years ago

Do you write on HubPages for the money, or for your own enjoyment?

Or maybe even neither! What's your reason for writing at HubPages?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5208873_f260.jpg

2. nycgrl profile image60
    nycgrlposted 12 years ago

I do it for the enjoyment, I have not seen much money nor do I think I ever will. But I still keep writing because its fun for me.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Both.  Some of my hubs were created PURELY for my enjoyment. . .and you know what?  My readers seem to like THOSE hubs the best!

Really, I won't write hubs that I don't enjoy putting together - but I find that the prospect that I might make some money from doing so only makes me do a better job of it.

4. jtyler profile image61
    jtylerposted 12 years ago

Both.  I enjoy writing, but lately I've been trying to do a few things to bring up the money a lot, such as creating a website, blog, rss feed, and by going onto Xomba.  Hopefully it'll pay off.

5. TheWorldNow profile image61
    TheWorldNowposted 12 years ago

I write on HubPages because I want to help people in some way. I try to inspire people with my hubs, or write something informative. When I write about something in my life I hope that there will be at least one reader that gains something from the experiences I have had.
    I used to write on other non-paying blogsites, but I really like the HubPages community and the support you get as well as the connections and friends you make.
    I do think it is fun to see how much you have made everyday, but far more interesting is to see how many people have read each post. It let's me know which posts and topics are most interested in and so it helps me to refine my own writing.

6. jacqui2011 profile image80
    jacqui2011posted 12 years ago

I love writing on HP because I enjoy writing and like to see my hubs published. I wish I could eventually see some money for my efforts, but I dont know enough about SEO and backlinking. Everyone on the forums here are so friendly and helpful and I have learned such a lot in the four months that I have been here.

7. golulugo profile image61
    golulugoposted 12 years ago

Hubpages made it really easy for me to start to get my feet wet writing online content.  It's ridiculously easy to set up pages, so for me as a new writer there's some instant gratification to writing and immediately seeing an article be published.

I got into Hubpages in order to get into writing, which I don't always necessarily enjoy and I think long-term it would be nice to make a little extra income, but I can't say that I'm necessarily expecting it.  Instead I'm thinking of it as a kind of blogging-internship where it's easy to get feedback on work, figure out what works well and what doesn't with very little consequence either way. 

I'm enjoying Hubpages so far, and haven't made any money, so I suppose my present experience answers the question for me.  Enjoyment!

8. profile image0
    Go Writerposted 12 years ago

A little of both. Mostly for my own enjoyment.

9. Greensleeves Hubs profile image90
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 12 years ago

Originally I joined mainly to experiment with simple webpage design with a view to maybe one day developing my own websites. Maybe also to eventually make money.

I soon found however, that the main appeal for me was simply the pleasure of writing, and hopefully giving some small pleasure to others when they read something I've written. It's really quite nice to get compliments for the first time in your life on work that you've created.

Just 4 days ago I wrote a hub on this very subject, trying to analyse the various reasons why people write on HubPages.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Write-HubPages-Greensleeves
    If you read it, hope you agree with the reasons I give for writing on this site.

10. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

I do it for my own enjoyment.  I love the community here and I enjoy having a place to post my writing and get feedback.

11. cloudy_cool profile image72
    cloudy_coolposted 12 years ago

At the moment its purely for enjoyment...as spending some time on HubPages for me is like spending time on a massage chair after a hectic day smile

Of course, in the long run I would be happy to earn something out of my writing if I could...but till then, I'm just having some relaxed fun!! Cheers!

12. Docmo profile image90
    Docmoposted 12 years ago

I write for enjoyment- the pleasure of creating something others may enjoy, the discipline of researching, writing, designing and putting it altogether and the pleasure of getting feedback from fellow creators.

As Jessie J says... its not about the money, money, money...

13. yankeeintexas profile image60
    yankeeintexasposted 12 years ago

I guess it would have to be for the enjoyment because I don't really make any money off of Hubpages!

14. breathing profile image48
    breathingposted 12 years ago

I do write on HubPages for both. Although, I do not get the google AdSense yet.

15. sonia05 profile image61
    sonia05posted 12 years ago

I am here at hubpages only for my own enjoyment. It is an outlet for my emotions,feelings and experiences. The interaction with other fellow hubbers is a delight as their feedback and comments are very valuable and it also gives a chance to make real good friends.

16. PAPA-BEAR profile image61
    PAPA-BEARposted 12 years ago

HubPages keeps my writing up to speed, I try to write every day, if not on Hubpages in my projects.It is for me an enjoyment, not a monetary gain.

17. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 12 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5211992_f260.jpg

Money? What money? Someday in 2012 when the world is about to end anyway. So Yeah it's for fun!

18. rachelsholiday profile image59
    rachelsholidayposted 12 years ago

I would say both.  I started writing for fun, and I'm currently not making any money off of it but the prospect of making money from something I love doing is pretty neat.

19. sharonchristy profile image59
    sharonchristyposted 12 years ago

Bit of both, but, personally, I attained neither. Anyway, for the more professional hubbers, "ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING IS FAIR IN LOVE AND WAR AND HUBS"

20. profile image0
    jasper420posted 12 years ago

i write on hubpages to get and recieve feedback about my writting

21. Bubblegum Senpai profile image85
    Bubblegum Senpaiposted 12 years ago

Both, actually. I mean, I'm not rolling in the dough because I'm pretty new, so Obviously i do it for the pleasure. But I do have my affiliates - iTunes, amazon, Google, etc. so sure, a bit of money would be nice on the side.

But obviously, I'm doing it for the fun of writing and sharing knowledge, and getting to know fellow anime fans.

22. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 11 years ago

I used to be able to say both for the money and because I enjoyed it. Now it's just for the money. Writing seems like a chore anymore, hopefully that will change because I used to have so much fun with HubPages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)