jump to last post 1-19 of 19 discussions (19 posts)

How do you maintain a positive attitude and not give up on writing at HubPages?

1. FaithDream profile image80
    FaithDreamposted 7 years ago

How do you maintain a positive attitude and not give up on writing at HubPages?

With the recent google changes, the virus alerts, and the viewer drops, how can a person stay upbeat and positive writing on here? I am beginning to question this.

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

Look to the pros and what they do.  How many submissions did Stephen King have before acceptance.  Or Joseph Wambaugh?  They wrote because it is who they are.  A writer has little choice but to write. 

If money can be made, that would be a bonus.  Don't give up, write because you have to ---and if people enjoy it-- even better.

3. profile image0
    AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 7 years ago

Write an excellent article and wait for the referring sites to find it and read, receive, and promote it around the world like they have done with my article and it is the greatest article on the earth and stands side by side with the holy bible. My article is seen in 8 countries and is an 1 hit wonder around the world through 100 percent referring sites traffic for my article. It took 2 months for my article to be found by the referring sites. Patience is a must and you must keep your hands off your article so that the referring sites will use your article. Referring sites use only excellent and high quality articles to spread around the world like they have done with my 1 and only article that I written.

4. barbergirl28 profile image78
    barbergirl28posted 7 years ago

Write because you are passionate about it. Do it on Hubpages because you love the community feel. Don't stress over what google has done... the views and everything else will come in time. Just stay positive and do what you do best.

I know I started to question that as well, but deep down, I know that I would write regardless. So, either it can sit in a notebook and not be viewed by anybody, or I can share what I have! I am addicted to the comments and the feedback... even if it goes in spurts. If I make a few extra dollars, I jump for joy. When I finally get a check - I will probably go out and celebrate!

5. DonDWest profile image61
    DonDWestposted 7 years ago

Although I'm not exactly making huge bucks on Hubpages, I know for a fact a few of my articles have been linked up to numerous sites. In the long run that should always help. I'm still new here. Oddly enough, the United States doesn't seem to be my primary market.

Just keep writing because you love it and who cares about google. The Internet is much larger than Google.

6. HattieMattieMae profile image60
    HattieMattieMaeposted 7 years ago

Well I would just keep the attitude it is something to do for fun in your spare time. It shouldn't matter whether it's read, or you gain something from it.

It just be your self expression and outlet, your voice creating what is in your soul and heart.

The one thing you gain is yourself and confidence in who you are as a writer.

Nothing else really matters.

7. profile image52
    Wayne Wposted 7 years ago

Can I add an inspirational quote here? Success happens not by chance, but by choice! Don't give up!!! Seriously.

If you are feeling really down, you may want to read the book - Bounce: how champions are made. The main thesis of the book is that is takes 10000 hours of applied practice which will allow one to become an "expert" in that area.

Continue working hard! That's the formula to success. smile

8. sitelaunchsystem profile image57
    sitelaunchsystemposted 7 years ago

One of the things that helps me with writing here at Hubpages is the feedback from the community and the scoring. I can see how influential (or not) my hubs are, how people respond to my writing style and ultimately whether I'm providing good content that people want to read and share. And the Hubpages community is super-responsive, so it's rare that I ever write a hub that doesn't get some kind of feedback or notoriety.

I also stay positive by remembering that Hubpages caters to all kinds of interests all around the world, so there is bound to be someone else interested in what I have to say. Again, the community is so huge and responsive that it's very rare to have a hub that doesn't attract any attention at all. Even if I only have one follower, I'm happy that my content is being read and that I've had the chance to reach out to at least one person. That kind of feedback is something I've never gotten on any other portal!

9. Cindy2011 profile image58
    Cindy2011posted 7 years ago

Why did you choose to join Hub pages? Was it not to practice your writing skills? How does one become a successful writer? Almost all great writers respond by saying, "write, read, write".  There is no better place to practice your craft than on the Hub pages. Your responses will give you the best feedback - either people understood your hub or they didn't. Write to support your craft. The more you write, the easier it will become.

10. LeeWalls profile image61
    LeeWallsposted 7 years ago

You write because that's your craft. I find it hard to believe that as many writers on here anyone who puts out there work can make a decent wage with all the restrictions and competition there is.

People usually tend to read what attracts them and if you don't give them what they want they shy away and read what they want. With that said, if a Writer sticks to their genre regardless of what people will read, thats a Writer knowing their work is being read elsewhere.

You'd be surprised who's published and who's satisfied with followers and accolades.

11. ckimani profile image61
    ckimaniposted 7 years ago

Hubpages allows me to do what i love and love what i do and thats expressing myself through writing

12. christ4ever profile image63
    christ4everposted 7 years ago

If each message you write only reaches but ONE person, it was worth it. Anything else is a bonus! Be blessed... Rev.Ted

13. theseus profile image80
    theseusposted 7 years ago

Writing is one passion I cannot do away with. Writing is me.
    I haven't earned a single cent since I joined HP but it doesn't matter. I didn't join to earn. I joined to express myself. I joined so I can share my thoughts on things that I'm passionate about. I haven't earned a cent, but, I GAINED FRIENDS here. That is motivation enough for me to keep on writing.

14. joshhunt83 profile image60
    joshhunt83posted 7 years ago

Don't write because you feel you have to, you won't produce exciting or original content this way. Write only if you feel inspired to, that way you'll always feel positive about your writing.

15. FaithDream profile image80
    FaithDreamposted 7 years ago

Living each day the best way I knew how, I suddenly faced a crossroads. Raising the question, How do you... read more

16. kapde1 profile image56
    kapde1posted 7 years ago

I am new to hubpages and don't really know much about this website. You guys seems to be well aware of it. Let me know, is it good to get relevant visitors or to make money or both? what is your experience? kindly share...

17. Jarn profile image81
    Jarnposted 7 years ago

I take the alerts, snubs, and neglect personally, let it form a deep seathing ball of hatred down in the pit of me, and decide I'm going to succeed come hell or high water just to spite ever single on of these mother ----ing ----ing ---ed ----rs in the ----ing so ----ole so hard they need pliers to pull it out. smile

18. agentmomo profile image70
    agentmomoposted 7 years ago

I think you should go look at hubs that truly inspire you, and if people are leaving bad comments or something like that just don't listen, I mean its just one person's opinion, out of a whole world of people.

19. Katharella profile image80
    Katharellaposted 7 years ago

Hi FaithDream, you know, while I understand what you're saying, why don't you maybe try looking at it as just a creative outlet for things you feel! Rather than giving up because you don't make tons of money. Use it as your personal blog with friends. So what if people don't keep following you, do you follow them and respond to them? Maybe try that too. I hope you don't give up and just write about things you feel passionate about, and interact with the people who do have a follow on you! Try not to focus on the negativity and focus on what YOU DO have to say, forget about the money aspect! smile I hope you keep your faith smile in writing, who knows, someone might not comment on that one thing that kept them going! Some people don't! Good luck & best wishes to you!

working