How do you maintain a positive attitude and not give up on writing at HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (137 posts)
  1. FaithDream profile image79
    FaithDreamposted 13 years ago

How do you maintain a positive attitude and not give up on writing at HubPages?

With the recent google changes, the virus alerts, and the viewer drops, how can a person stay upbeat and positive writing on here? I am beginning to question this.

1. linhah lm profile image68
      linhah lmposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. theraggededge profile image97
        theraggededgeposted 22 months agoin reply to this

No they don't smile

1. TessSchlesinger profile image60
          TessSchlesingerposted 22 months agoin reply to this

+

2. DrMark1961 profile image97
        DrMark1961posted 22 months agoin reply to this

No one cares if you once wrote for Squidoo. What Hubbers do not like is being told "bite me" after someone asks for help and criticism on his or her article.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image91
        FatFreddysCatposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Since when do Hubbers "hate anyone from Squidoo?" That's baloney.

HP acquired Squidoo in 2014. That was eight years ago. Who's still got time for such petty B.S.?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 13 years ago

Look to the pros and what they do.  How many submissions did Stephen King have before acceptance.  Or Joseph Wambaugh?  They wrote because it is who they are.  A writer has little choice but to write. 

If money can be made, that would be a bonus.  Don't give up, write because you have to ---and if people enjoy it-- even better.

3. profile image0
    AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years ago

Write an excellent article and wait for the referring sites to find it and read, receive, and promote it around the world like they have done with my article and it is the greatest article on the earth and stands side by side with the holy bible. My article is seen in 8 countries and is an 1 hit wonder around the world through 100 percent referring sites traffic for my article. It took 2 months for my article to be found by the referring sites. Patience is a must and you must keep your hands off your article so that the referring sites will use your article. Referring sites use only excellent and high quality articles to spread around the world like they have done with my 1 and only article that I written.

4. barbergirl28 profile image84
    barbergirl28posted 13 years ago

Write because you are passionate about it. Do it on Hubpages because you love the community feel. Don't stress over what google has done... the views and everything else will come in time. Just stay positive and do what you do best.

I know I started to question that as well, but deep down, I know that I would write regardless. So, either it can sit in a notebook and not be viewed by anybody, or I can share what I have! I am addicted to the comments and the feedback... even if it goes in spurts. If I make a few extra dollars, I jump for joy. When I finally get a check - I will probably go out and celebrate!

5. DonDWest profile image72
    DonDWestposted 13 years ago

Although I'm not exactly making huge bucks on Hubpages, I know for a fact a few of my articles have been linked up to numerous sites. In the long run that should always help. I'm still new here. Oddly enough, the United States doesn't seem to be my primary market.

Just keep writing because you love it and who cares about google. The Internet is much larger than Google.

6. HattieMattieMae profile image62
    HattieMattieMaeposted 13 years ago

Well I would just keep the attitude it is something to do for fun in your spare time. It shouldn't matter whether it's read, or you gain something from it.

It just be your self expression and outlet, your voice creating what is in your soul and heart.

The one thing you gain is yourself and confidence in who you are as a writer.

Nothing else really matters.

7. profile image57
    Wayne Wposted 13 years ago

Can I add an inspirational quote here? Success happens not by chance, but by choice! Don't give up!!! Seriously.

If you are feeling really down, you may want to read the book - Bounce: how champions are made. The main thesis of the book is that is takes 10000 hours of applied practice which will allow one to become an "expert" in that area.

Continue working hard! That's the formula to success. smile

8. sitelaunchsystem profile image61
    sitelaunchsystemposted 13 years ago

One of the things that helps me with writing here at Hubpages is the feedback from the community and the scoring. I can see how influential (or not) my hubs are, how people respond to my writing style and ultimately whether I'm providing good content that people want to read and share. And the Hubpages community is super-responsive, so it's rare that I ever write a hub that doesn't get some kind of feedback or notoriety.

I also stay positive by remembering that Hubpages caters to all kinds of interests all around the world, so there is bound to be someone else interested in what I have to say. Again, the community is so huge and responsive that it's very rare to have a hub that doesn't attract any attention at all. Even if I only have one follower, I'm happy that my content is being read and that I've had the chance to reach out to at least one person. That kind of feedback is something I've never gotten on any other portal!

9. Cindy2011 profile image61
    Cindy2011posted 13 years ago

Why did you choose to join Hub pages? Was it not to practice your writing skills? How does one become a successful writer? Almost all great writers respond by saying, "write, read, write".  There is no better place to practice your craft than on the Hub pages. Your responses will give you the best feedback - either people understood your hub or they didn't. Write to support your craft. The more you write, the easier it will become.

10. LeeWalls profile image60
    LeeWallsposted 13 years ago

You write because that's your craft. I find it hard to believe that as many writers on here anyone who puts out there work can make a decent wage with all the restrictions and competition there is.

People usually tend to read what attracts them and if you don't give them what they want they shy away and read what they want. With that said, if a Writer sticks to their genre regardless of what people will read, thats a Writer knowing their work is being read elsewhere.

You'd be surprised who's published and who's satisfied with followers and accolades.

11. ckimani profile image59
    ckimaniposted 13 years ago

Hubpages allows me to do what i love and love what i do and thats expressing myself through writing

12. christ4ever profile image67
    christ4everposted 13 years ago

If each message you write only reaches but ONE person, it was worth it. Anything else is a bonus! Be blessed... Rev.Ted

13. theseus profile image72
    theseusposted 13 years ago

Writing is one passion I cannot do away with. Writing is me.
    I haven't earned a single cent since I joined HP but it doesn't matter. I didn't join to earn. I joined to express myself. I joined so I can share my thoughts on things that I'm passionate about. I haven't earned a cent, but, I GAINED FRIENDS here. That is motivation enough for me to keep on writing.

14. joshhunt83 profile image62
    joshhunt83posted 13 years ago

Don't write because you feel you have to, you won't produce exciting or original content this way. Write only if you feel inspired to, that way you'll always feel positive about your writing.

15. FaithDream profile image79
    FaithDreamposted 13 years ago

Living each day the best way I knew how, I suddenly faced a crossroads. Raising the question, How do you... read more

16. kapde1 profile image60
    kapde1posted 13 years ago

I am new to hubpages and don't really know much about this website. You guys seems to be well aware of it. Let me know, is it good to get relevant visitors or to make money or both? what is your experience? kindly share...

17. Jarn profile image59
    Jarnposted 13 years ago

I take the alerts, snubs, and neglect personally, let it form a deep seathing ball of hatred down in the pit of me, and decide I'm going to succeed come hell or high water just to spite ever single on of these mother ----ing ----ing ---ed ----rs in the ----ing so ----ole so hard they need pliers to pull it out. smile

18. agentmomo profile image66
    agentmomoposted 13 years ago

I think you should go look at hubs that truly inspire you, and if people are leaving bad comments or something like that just don't listen, I mean its just one person's opinion, out of a whole world of people.

19. Katharella profile image75
    Katharellaposted 12 years ago

Hi FaithDream, you know, while I understand what you're saying, why don't you maybe try looking at it as just a creative outlet for things you feel! Rather than giving up because you don't make tons of money. Use it as your personal blog with friends. So what if people don't keep following you, do you follow them and respond to them? Maybe try that too. I hope you don't give up and just write about things you feel passionate about, and interact with the people who do have a follow on you! Try not to focus on the negativity and focus on what YOU DO have to say, forget about the money aspect! smile I hope you keep your faith smile in writing, who knows, someone might not comment on that one thing that kept them going! Some people don't! Good luck & best wishes to you!

20. Ben716 profile image91
    Ben716posted 22 months ago

I began writing for Hubpages in 2008. I lost heart in writing for the site because I earned cents every month. Back then, there were a lot of revenue writing sites. I used to write for Helium which changed its tactics like Hubpages to include vertical sites. I never earned from my articles there but what kept me moving was that every month I would be paid for an article of mine that made through the monthly competitions they held for 1st, 2nd and 3rd winners.
    When Helium moved out of the scene in 2014. I came back to Hubpages. I wrote some articles and gave up again writing for them. I received my first earning from Hubpages in 2014 - $60.
    They say writing is a calling and so it was. I began writing a fee articles, mostly concentrated on relationships and religion. I earned my second payout in December 2018. When the niche sites were created, some of my articles, mostly on relationships, were moved to Paired. Since 2008, I have been reaching the threshold amount. I have never truly hit the above $100. But since then I have never given up writing for Hubpages. Why?
    My articles are viewed from 5 continents on a monthly basis, and reader's comments (including fellow hubbers), and questions asked through comments and on my email have motivated me not to give up.
    Knowing my writing has had a positive impact on someone, or caused someone to think carefully about something, has made to keep on writing for Hubpages.
    And that, is my little story writing for Hubpages.

21. Miebakagh57 profile image72
    Miebakagh57posted 22 months ago

These days, hubpages is getting more beautiful than yester years.                                     Don't misunderstand me. Beautiful in the sense that we writers are being inspired to be more specialized-like. That enthus me to continue writing on it's web sites.

1. Ben716 profile image91
      Ben716posted 22 months agoin reply to this

Yap, Hubpages have improved over the years the reason I'm still writing for them. Back then, it didn't have a large presence like it does nowadays.
      The different expertise of the staff and the things they've learned over the years has enabled Hubpages to become the biggest platform for writers to earn passive income while fulfilling their passion - writing.

That is simply not true. Medium has a far higher page ranking than Hubpages.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image72
          Miebakagh57posted 22 months agoin reply to this

Tessa? They's some truth in all the response here. Even yours.                                                  Medium may rank higher than hubpages as you said. But is that truely a search engine comparison ranking or just your opinion?

With respect, I was on hubpages in 2010 and wrote here for a while when it was at its height. In three months, I had hit $600 per month. I left because of the harassment.

And, of course, it's the official ranking. I am not in the habit of giving unvarified opinion.

Hubpages has long lost its glory days. I was here when it was buzzing. It hasn't buzzed for years.

https://hubstatic.com/15984475_f1024.jpg

1. Solaras profile image95
              Solarasposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Perhaps you should select one of the niche sites for comparison?

On what basis? I've already proved my point. The fact that traffic is continually falling is indicate of the fact that Google and other search engines no longer rank hubpges (or its niche sites) highly. That's why earnings are falling as well.

All of the quality content was moved off of HP, unless it was deemed redundant to the niche sites or had no natural home. You are referencing an discarded site which was replaced with niche sites.  Ergo, you have not proved your point; the site has evolved into numerous properties, part of a larger entity.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image72

Tessa, I do know why you left hubpages. But occasionally you poke in to enlighen and entertaint us. Bless you.

++++++
                Well, I still earn, even if it is pennies.

'pennies' for a cup of coffee? Not so bad. Keep it up.

Well, about $35 per month these days. Used to be quite a bit more, but, to me, it wasn't worth pursuing. Too much effort for too little reward.

3. Brenda Arledge profile image81
              Brenda Arledgeposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Tessa...
              I signed up for medium a long time ago, but did nothing with it as far as posting yet.

You make is sound interesting & worth a try.

I just looked into it afain and it seems I can actually imoort my work from Hubpages to their site and cross reference it.

Have you done this before?

2. Ben716 profile image91

I forgot about Medium. It sure does have a higher page ranking than Hubpages. But earning there takes a lot of hard work. I rarely promote my articles on Hubpages and the earnings always sail through every month. With Medium, you can't solely depend on views. Even so, Medium is a great platform.

I'm always noting Medium is a great plantform for onlne writing.                                         I try leveraging it to my advantage last year. But 'Stripe', the payout system would not favour an African.                             Critically, Medium mostly serves the European continent.

That is correct. I had to fly from South Africa to London to reactive my Stripe account, and I had to use a friend's address in London to get it through. Even so, I only earned $45 to $65 a month from Medium while living in South Africa. Since leaving South Africa, all told my income for the past year, directly or indirectly from Medium (Ko-fi and Patreon support) has been $60K,.

Tessa, thank you. Now, I get the picture. Lodon, where you get it is in Europe, you just change location temporarily, and that get it done, right?                                            While in South Africa, you're unable to. Many are using the same trick you used to get 'Stripe' to get Paypal account.

Yes, my sister paid for my trip and I stayed in a hostel. I had permission from my sister's boyfriend to use his address for both my bank and my Stripe account. There is no way one can earn in the 3rd world for multiple sites. So that was my way out.

Two weeks after I landed in Germany, my results shot up and I went from an avergage or about $50 per month on Medium to hitting my first $100 (and earned $618 that month). The following month, one of my pieces was picked up by the international news media, and I drew a lot of traffic, and made $4300 that month.

More success to you.

2. Solaras profile image95

How did the international news media picking up your article make you $4300? I thought you were only paid by subscribed readers views; has that changed?

Also, I thought you made a comment about earning from Amazon, but I cannot find that comment any longer.  Glenn Stok has a Medium article advising against selling Amazon products on Medium. 

How do product reviews work over there - I know it's been impossible to get one to clear over here, so I just gave up on them.

2. Ben716 profile image91

Yah. It was the same case with PayPal. With time, which I know is not any sooner, they will spread their services to other countries. That's a disadvantage.

Yep, and thank you.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60

That is correct. Yet for the past two days, I haven't written any stories on Medium. I earned $50 for the two days. Also, Medium allows you to use affilaite marketing, plus insert links for Patreon and Ko-fi, so I have nearly $500 per month, monthly subscribers from that. Plus, of course, those who donate once off. (Similar to Vocal Media).

You are, of course, 100% correct, that it does take work - continually. With that in mind, I have finally figured out a book on sex (5 years to figure out someething good enough) plus a daily series that should work (adventure/fantasy).

As a writer, one is always watching the market place and adapting.

It's great noting you're an established Medium creator, and the large followers you have in that platform is amazing. I'm not sure I can get close to 50 followers (but I guess it also comes with writing great content).
              The method of payment quite doesn't work in Africa. So it's with Vocal.media, as you stated, where my money is lying idle. I came across an online company similar to Payoneer that enables one to transfer money from Stripe. However, I gave up since it couldn't really work.

Payoneer doesn't work. I tried it while living in South Africa. Eventually, my sister paid for me for a trip in London, and while I was there, I bought a London Sim card, changed my British bank to my sister's boyfriend's address, and fixed up Stripe using those addresses. The money would be paid into my British bank account.

And, yes, there are people on Medium who have 10,000 followers who aren't earning what I am, and who have fewer subscribers than I do. One needs readers - not followers. I have a lot of readers.

smile

That's how I started using Medium in South Africa. However, I still didn't eawrn a lot as sites are so arranged that writers from the third world don't get a lot of traffic from first world sites.

I'm assuming that is becaue they think people in the first world won't have anything of value to say that people in the first world would want to read.

I also noted the other day that while living in South Africa, I got completely the wrong information about moving to Ireland because Irish sites (the ones I needed) were not available in South Africa. I only found out a few months ago that I didn't need a massive amount of money to move there (moving in 9 days). (I'm in Portugal now.)

You have provided insight that I wasn't aware of about Medium - readers matter as opposed to have many followers who don't read your work.
                  Congratulations on moving to Portugal. I think we tend to assume (here in Africa) that moving to a foreign country (outside Africa) is quite an expensive undertaking.
                  I hope there you have started gaining some viewership to your articles from the Portugal population.

Nope. Doesn't work that way. My readership is entirely American, and I've earned so well during the past year that I can now afford to live in Ireland. smile Of course, I'm fully aware that my income can drop in a moment (I have no illusions).

But did you know that artists (writers included) are exempt from tax in Ireland? smile

So I intend to find myself a nice cheap little cottage and live happily ever after. Portuguese people don't read English articles.

I have the advantage of having a European passport, being half South African, half German. So I can live in any country in the European Union and the EEC (about 36 countries in total).

It depends on how you want to move to another country. When I moved from South Africa to Germany, my sister gave me $6000 to tidy me over. By the time I moved to Portugal 10 weeks later, I was already earning welll enough to live in Portugal. I only need $1000 a month to live reaonably well.

I'm taking an enormous risk now by moving to Ireland, but I need to be in an English speaking country. smile

3. EricFarmer8x profile image94
          EricFarmer8xposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Before I was kicked out of the Medium partner program for not meeting the requirements I used to make a few dollars a month. Not much but at least it was something.

The only way I could make money now would be to focus on getting to 100 followers by writing very often. With enough time I probably could do it. But that is a huge commitment to me.

HubPages is a huge time sink as well but I have already seen progress and I can see how I can get to where I want to be in a few years.

At HubPages, it doesn't matter if people follow me or know who I am. I think I prefer things this way.

I suppose it is better to build a brand but I am not that interested in doing that. I just want to post my guides and move on with my life.

I suppose though I should mention I do eventually want to work on my Medium portfolio as well anyway. As I like to have multiple income streams from writing if possible.

One advantage to Medium is the freedom to write about just whatever I want. I don't have to worry so much about editor feedback or guidelines.

This 100%

They do different things. There will never be a passive income on Medium, and you have that on Hubpages. That said, I find it infinitely more difficult to earn on Hubpages than I do on Medium.

That said, the important thing on Medium is to develop a loyal readership. It's not about followers. They also threatened me with suspension in December, so I changed direction. That did drop my income quite a bit, but I told my readers, and I got a massive amount of donations and patrons (5 figures) as people told me that they would follow me anywhere, but please to keep writing.

I wasn't prepared to burn my bridges at Medium because it leads to other things. For me, it was okay not to write about some things.

I suppose, I also prefer the Hubpages way in terms of passive income, but a passive income of under $100 per month is not worth it for me. I have earned a lot of money this past year, and that all came to me through Medium - both through my story, and through getting patrons on Ko-fi and patreon.

1. EricFarmer8x profile image94

I did a quick browse on your Medium profile and I see you have a lot written. Some interesting topics as well. I can see why you prefer Medium.

I feel hesitant to commit much to it but I am publishing things eventually. I do like some things more about Medium.

As a reader I like Medium. Even if I have to pay money to read all the stories (well there are works arounds but $5 is not too much).

I feel the recommendation system on Medium is nice. Though it seems to hyper-focus a bit.

Since I read a few stories on how to make money on Medium a few times it seems to think I just want to be rich and shares every one possible.

The people who write about how to make money on Medium aren't writers. They are marketers selling courses. They use a sort of longform advertising copy which used to be used in direct mail (and is now used in email marketing). They sell courses. Other newbies copy them. If you read some of their other pieces, they are boasting that they made $5 for the month. It's embarrassing. They also moan that Medium is cheating them.

It actually boggles my mind that they do not see that genuine readers are not interested in how much money they are making or in learning how to become a writer.

The people who make money on Medium are not necessarily niche specific. Some are - probably most are, but I'm not.

They are generally strong writers with something to say, and they will generally back it up with evidence. Essentially, if you have an opinion, and if you write consistently, you will eventually develop a readership. It's not so much hard work as consistent work.

What topics were they threatening suspension over?

4. DrMark1961 profile image97

That is simply not true. Include all of the articles and page views from all of the niche sites and you will see the picture is far different.
          Yes, Medium has a higher page rank than Hubpages, which as all of us know was left to soak up the articles that were so poor that they were not moved to a niche site.

This.

I just took a screenshot of Dengarden's rank. It is 42,926. It has had a total of 2.1 million views in its entire existence according to the page ranking site.

1. DrMark1961 profile image97

In its entire existence? No, that is each month. Pethelpful gets over 3  million a month, Owlcation about that, and there are a lot of smaller sites. The monthly visitors have to be added together to estimate the number of views to Hubpages each month. If not, a comparison is not vaild.

I checked the figures for one popular niche site. It was 1.5 million reads in total. So I just did it for Dengarden, supposedly one of Hubpages best niche sites, Its total number of reads for its entire existence is 2.1 million. That is very, very little. And its page rank is still 49,294. Medium's global rank is 366.

With respect, I'm not downplaying Hubpages. As many have mentioned, they don't work for money. I do. I'm also a professional writer with 60 years of published experience.

https://hubstatic.com/15985591_f1024.jpg

1. eugbug profile image95
              eugbugposted 22 months agoin reply to this

My total views on Dengarden are nearly 7 million. I don't know whether they are classed as reads.

That is really interesting. More to the point, is the site accurate then? It's possible that the site differentiates between reads and views, or doesn't count bounces or something.

I'm more inclined to think that the site is not ranking properly.

Back to the drawing board for me.

GA views are fairly close to those shown in the Hubpages stats as far as I can see. GA shows almost 10 million views for all network sites.

Okay. Thanks. I'm going to investigate more.

2. DrMark1961 profile image97

That is pretty impressive since the entire site has only had 2 million page views in its entire existence, according to the OP.

That's what the site ranker I said used. So either the site is inaccurate, or hubpages is measuring something else. smile

I need to investimate further. Here's the snapshot where it says the total visits are 2.1 million

https://hubstatic.com/15986277_f1024.jpg

https://hubstatic.com/15986280_f1024.jpg

Well, that should teach me a lesson. All theses measurements of traffic are different!

https://hubstatic.com/15986283.png

1. DrMark1961 profile image97

Yes, it is prety frustrating trying to understand those numbers. I think those page rank numbers they all publish are wrong too, but then again what do I know about it?

Hi Tess:  This quote is from a press release from The Arena Group, which includes Sports Illustrated, The Street and the HP properties among other acquisitions.

"In February 2022, the Company recorded more than 111 million unique visitors, according to ComScore. The Arena Group reached the #34 spot in the U.S. rankings, up 40 spots from February 2021, and its sports vertical, led by Sports Illustrated, reached #4 in the sports category. In February 2022, the Sports Illustrated Media Group reached more than 86 million digital users, more than tripling year-over-year."

22. Brenda Arledge profile image81
    Brenda Arledgeposted 22 months ago

Writing is part of me.  I will toss words on a page no matter what.

Sure Hubpages is frustrating, but the community of people here are The Reason to keep writing here.
    They have uplifted me when I want to crawl in a corner and disappear.

They help push my writing to the next level.  They feed me with the inspiration to keep taking chances.

If you only write for the almighty Dollar...then you are missing so much in the creative world.

Although money is nice, people mean more.

Well, I don't know about that. This year I have earned $60K from writing, and a massive amount of fanmail.

Tessa, that likely from Medium, right? Congratulations!

2. Jodah profile image90
      Jodahposted 22 months agoin reply to this

+1000

3. Miebakagh57 profile image72

Brenda, I'm hearing you loud and clear.

23. FatFreddysCat profile image91
    FatFreddysCatposted 22 months ago

I "maintain a positive attitude and not give up" on HP because it is, was, and shall always be a hobby for me. If I keep my expectations for HP earnings on the low end, I'm rarely disappointed.

I've been here since 2011 and in all that time, I've never harbored illusions that I was going to be "discovered" through HP and become a hot shot professional writer, or that I was going to make a ton of money.

This is my place to post riffs about stuff I dig. If people read 'em, great. If they don't I write another one and try again.

If I happen to make some beer and pizza money out of this every couple of months, well hey, that's great too. No complaints.

Bravo, bravo, bravo. And honour to all those trying! It's what one of us here who has promise to write until he takes his last breath. Writing is a tonic to me.

2. EricFarmer8x profile image94

This is pretty much how I feel as well. I love to write about my favorite video games and related topics so I do.

My main HubPages goal is to get enough views that I am paid every month. That is about as high my ambitions go. Even this task is more difficult that I thought it was originally be.

If and I when I ever do accomplish this I will probably start to focus on other writing platforms. But I suppose I need to do it first.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image91
        FatFreddysCatposted 22 months agoin reply to this

In the 11 years I've been here, I have only reached the payout threshold within a single month once. I have come close a time or two since then, but have never been able to duplicate that.  It always takes me at least two months, sometimes three. Often enough to keep me banging away, anyway.

24. Stephen Tomkinson profile image91
    Stephen Tomkinsonposted 22 months ago

If things continue as they are, I should earn my first payout from HubPages in the mid-2030s. I shall put it towards funeral expenses.
    I don't write here for the money, the community is more important.

+++++

25. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 22 months ago

Just a friendly reminder for any newbies or lurkers in these forums who may be considering putting serious time into HubPages: Always consider the source when evaluating comments made here and how they might impact your decision.

It is still true that if you are willing to put in the work you can earn well into four figures per month here. And that's a fact.

If you just want to write for fun and maybe a few bucks a month, you can do that too.

It takes all kinds of writers to make HubPages go round. Don't believe the doom and gloom. At least not yet, anyway.

26. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 22 months ago

Anyone interested in starting up on Medium will need 100 followers before they can apply to the partner program, and then if accepted, start earning.  I find that off putting - they will make free money on many people's work, while the authors accrue nothing. It rankles me.

What does please me is gaming the system.  If people here are interested in earning on Medium, we could create a thread and request that all Hubbers needing Medium followers get together and follow each other.  Then you can start writing at a furious pace and earning for your efforts.

Medium does NOT make money out of people reading member's work.Medium makes money out of subscriptions.

The subscription is $5 per month or $50 per year.

I suspect that the reason that 100 followers are required as it costs Medium more to pay Stripe for the transaction than it does to pay the writer the $0.50 s/he earned.

Even Hubpages has a minimum that must be earned.

It's highly unlikely that someone will earn  more than $4 or $5 per month with only 200 or 300 followers. It happens, yes, but it's the exception.

Every time a subscriber reads the work of a writer, the writer gets paid according to the reading time. Based on my own figures, it can vary between $1 and $2 per hour.  That means that for someone to earn about $1000 per month, their work has to be read between 30 to 40 hours every day.

Consider that most people on Medium write articles that are 3 or 4 minutes. That means that somewhere between 15 or 20 people need to read the entire article to earn $1 or $2.

My frist Medium paycheck was $0.25.

Following each other isn't going to get you read. In order to be read, you have to produce good reading material. There are people on Medium who have 10,000 followers, and they are hardly earning anything.

Follow for follow doesn't work. If you have to read someone else's work for an hour in order to get them to read you for an hour, nobody is gaining, and nobody is going to earn very much.

One needs to have readers - not writers or followers.

I'm still making at least $5 passive income per month on Medium. At least it pays the bill.

Thenew terms and conditions say that if you don't publish for six months, they remove you from the partnership program, so I don't think it can be passive income.

"To remain in the Partner Program, you must continue to meet the Eligibility Requirements and actively participate in the Partner Program. For example, if you do not publish within a six (6) month period, we may disable your ability to receive any revenue under the Partner Program. Before disabling your ability to earn under the Partner Program, we will notify you."

I have published in the last 6 months, but it's older guides that are still getting a trickle of reads.

Yes, even your old work is circulated. I have at least 500 articles on Medium, and some articles only earn a few pennies every month, but they're still being circulated.

It's just that on Hubpages, you can have an article for years, not write for two years, and you will still be paid on Hubpages. That is the advantage of Hubpages.

On Medium, you have to write an article very six months.

For me, the trouble is the stuff I write are practical guides and physics/math tutorials which there doesn't seem to be any interest in on Medium. But of course it's not a platform for that sort of thing. I started a publication to promote them, but I haven't garnered any interest. However I haven't given up yet and I still intend to convince people they're worth reading.

Again, from experience, and then speaking to people who had succeeded on Medium, the missing ingredient is luck. If you get into the limelight with one good piece, it somehow ensures that you have more readers (as opposed to followers). That way you develop a small readership, and that readership grows steadily.

I noticed some months back that the home section was beginning to grow on Medium. It was never a strong section before. It is still not large, but it is growing. Likewise things like tarot, etc.

Medium is like a print magazine. It uses a newspaper formula. Hubpages is based on supplying data that people  are always searching for. In the former, new content has to be regular while in the latter, so long as the content is reliable,it will stay the course.

Might I suggest you apply to a magazine called Data Driven Investor on Medium. Publish there, and see if you begin to develop a readership.

Very well noted. And, thanks.

You can not earn a cent or accrue a penny without 100 followers. So, that is the starting point.  Why write articles that cannot earn you money? Get the followers, then spend time of articles of quality and gain a readership, earning all along the way.

The point is that Stripe has to pay a fee every time they pay a writer. I pay 4.5% of all my earnings to Stripe. That's from income other than Medium. Americans would only pay 2%.

I don't know what Medium has to pay, but let's say that they have to pay $0.50 for every transaction they make, it would mean if they paid 3000 writers, all of whom earned between 3 cents and 6 cents those amounts, the reality is that it would have cost them 3000 x 50 cents which would be $1500. The writers would have collectively earned $135. 

So the cost to Medium is greater.

Hubpages also pays PAYPAL so that we don't have the money we earned affected. If my patreons pay to paypal through Ko-fi, I pay paypal a commission. If they pay through Patreon, I don't. So Patreon and Hubpages pay Paypal a fee.

Paypal makes that work by keeping to a minimum payout. You have to earn $50 before hubpages will pay you. If they didn't do that, then they, too, would be paying money to paypal for minimum payouts.

PayPal also seem to charge a 3% or thereabouts currency conversion fee. They say they don't charge anything for withdrawing funds, but it's built into the conversion rate.

I'm noting kofi and patrean as payout systems at the moment.

27. eugbug profile image95
    eugbugposted 22 months ago

Hubpages/GA probably overinflate views too. I notice that if a reader clicks on a photo, GA registers the source as "direct" in the Real Time report and a single visitor can produce multiple views. Views and reads are probably a fraction of what's quoted. However my unique views seem to be about 95% for all time.

1. Misbah786 profile image85
      Misbah786posted 22 months agoin reply to this

Single visitors can produce multiple views. This is what I despise about GA. Rest it Rocks!! smile

Well, at this point, I don't know. I do know that what I used to earn on Hubpages in the distant past is very different to now. I also know that I don't like the way my work is presented, and although the editors do a good job in the main, the rules are too strict. I also don't think they're necessary.

28. Brenda Arledge profile image81

I think the reason I didn't do Medium is that you need to use stripe.
    It requires a bank account which I would need to set up.

That's correct. But you've the advantage better than me.

29. Miebakagh57 profile image72

I enjoy the interestlngly talk.

++

Tessa, friend, thanks.

30. Miebakagh57 profile image72

It's a state of the mind-choice.

31. eugbug profile image95

We don't usually get extremes of temperatures because of the maritime climate and the moderating effect of the Atlantic. Small talk is usually about the weather because every day is different.

32. Brenda Arledge profile image81

Anyone else having problems with following this thread?

It never goes to a person's comnent.

Yes, I am experiencing that. It forces me to scan through the thread to find that new comment.

33. Brenda Arledge profile image81

Me too...it's annoying.  Sometimes the new comment is not at the end

It's now behaving properly. I hope that issue has dissipated from your side.

34. eugbug profile image95

Have you switched from chronological to threaded?

1. Brenda Arledge profile image81
      Brenda Arledgeposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Yes

It should be chronological?

Good point. At odd times, two new comments, from two different authors will be competing to be at the end.                                         It's like the traffic on the internet letting normal traffic to pass through?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)