Do you treat writing like a job and do you have any secrets to create true incom

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)
  1. R.Cochran profile image81
    R.Cochranposted 6 years ago

Do you treat writing like a job and do you have any secrets to create true income from articles?

What tips can you give to someone that hasn't that want's to make a living doing this and doesn't know that much about internet advertising. Is there sources that a person can go to to learn?

2. Arioch profile image81
    Ariochposted 6 years ago

Keep working your main job (if you have one) and build up your number of articles it can take a few months to even make a few dollars, but the more and better articles you have the more income you will have it is also a good guage as to if it is an achievable goal for you.
    Also pay attention to what articles you write that seem to attract most views and consider writing more on the same or similar themes.  i find it also helps if you are writing about things you are genuinely interested in.
    Many people also display their articles on facebook or twitter with the links available.

Many people use SEO and add their articles to search engines, though I am a little green to this myself perhaps someone more qualified could expend on this.

3. unvrso profile image91
    unvrsoposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6030374_f260.jpg

Besides being a wonderful and entertaining activity. I consider writing as part of a job. I do this almost everyday and I write for three sites on the internet. The key idea behind considering writing as a means to support your life is that you have to compete with other skillfull writers on the internet. This means that the more quality and coherence you express on your articles, the more audience you´re going to attract. The basic idea is to write articles in a variety of topics that interest people, such as technology, science, music, money, and health. Treat any article you write as a piece of art. The articles you write are going to be rolling on the internet for a long time.

4. BizGenGirl profile image91
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago

That's a noble and very ambitious goal! It's a wonderful profession that you can be successful at, if you know just how to do it...  Seriously, when you write, you have a voice that sticks out to your readers, and if you aren't passionate about what... read more

5. stricktlydating profile image84
    stricktlydatingposted 6 years ago

Yes, it's my part time job.  The best tip I could give someone who is wanting to make a living from writing is to write about what you know about and stick with that.  Once you decide on a niche you can prove yourself as a subject matter expert in your articles and your readers will want to read all of your work, and also share it.  I don't pay much attention to 'internet advertising' the readers just come because they're interested in my body of work.  Goodluck!

6. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 6 years ago

Produce interesting, relevant, articles with correct spelling and good grammar, send them to a print publisher.  Don't be discouraged by rejection, take notice of any comments the  editor may make about your work. Read and re-write your work until it is right.  Don't give up the day job until you, regelarly, have more money each month from writing in your bin.

7. LoriSoard profile image74
    LoriSoardposted 6 years ago

I freelance full-time. Writing makes up about 60% of my income. I also promote businesses, design websites and do editing work. I have a couple of other gigs on the side where I'm building residual income, such as this, but these are more hobbies for me than my job, because they don't yet bring in noticeable profit. Same thing with my books. I don't make a ton - maybe a couple thousand a book, but that is starting to slowly change as I sell foreign rights and make more and more royalties over the years. That too is a residual form of income, which is my ultimate goal.

1. Ruby H Rose profile image73
      Ruby H Roseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

good to know, a nice workable plan.

8. Beata Stasak profile image82
    Beata Stasakposted 6 years ago

I have used to publish some of my poems, travelling articles and reflections in magazines in three languages in three countries. I have also won few literacy competitions, but writing started to be an unpleasant chore for me, because I was pushed to compromise my writings...to suit the particular audience, to suit the demands of magazines etc...I haved decided to stop writing at all.

Later on I have discovered the online writing sites and decided to start again, but just as a hobby and I rediscovered the love for writing again...Now I have three different sites in three different languages and a big pool of followers in each...

It is everyone's choice, but for me there is only one way now: work in my profession and continue with writing in my past time...if I am good enough then maybe once someone will offer me some deal...if not I will continue what I am doing...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)