jump to last post 1-22 of 22 discussions (22 posts)

If you had to choose only one- writing or reading- which would you pick?

1. thebiologyofleah profile image93
    thebiologyofleahposted 6 years ago

If you had to choose only one- writing or reading- which would you pick?

If you could only have one-would you rather write your own stuff or be able to read other people's work?

2. whatkatieread profile image76
    whatkatiereadposted 6 years ago

Reading.  No contest.  I'd have little to write about otherwise.  And you can't really do the latter well without the former...a good writer is a well-read writer.

3. kannanwrites profile image94
    kannanwritesposted 6 years ago

I must say reading. It gives me more pleasure than writing.

4. profile image0
    KatrineDalMonteposted 6 years ago

Writing.
    Although I love reading I can't go without writing.
    My writing is in self-help niche, supported by my own life experience.
    As such I always know where to get my inspiration from.

5. Wytchewoode profile image69
    Wytchewoodeposted 6 years ago

There are readers and there are writers. I'm not sure I agree with 'whatkatieread'. I think it's perfectly possible to be a damn good writer without being well read. For me, I find that reading actually interferes with the process.

Reading I can (now) take or leave.  I cannot imagine living without writing. My life would be like bread without yeast.

6. galaxy1 profile image38
    galaxy1posted 6 years ago

I will definitely choose READING because i always feel love to read BOOKS.

ONE more thing i want to share you here.

FIRST YOU SHOULD READ THEN WRITE.

That's ALL.

zain.

7. Marturion profile image61
    Marturionposted 6 years ago

If we were living in a strange ethereal existence where we were forced to choose, and - just for the sake of argument, let's say that in this other existence it were actually possible to write without first reading - then I would choose writing, as it is a compulsion and I can't get by without it, lest the thoughts in my head spill out in daily conversation, making everyone in the room vastly uncomfortable (i.e.  The other day I saw Barbara wearing a blue scarf, and I couldn't help but imagine what it would be like if she suddenly went on a killing spree, because she was being controlled by an evil genius who was experimenting with mind-control microchips imbedded in scarves... Anyway, she said she got it on sale at Penneys.)

8. starstream profile image77
    starstreamposted 6 years ago

Definitely my choice would be writing.  Writing is such an adventure for me.  It stimulates my mind and creativity as well as providing me with new reasons to research my subjects.  This activity all adds up to energy and passion for me.  Getting to make decisions about what to focus on and share gives me  satisfaction in seeing the finished work published.

9. marthaadkins1 profile image57
    marthaadkins1posted 6 years ago

I would definitely choose reading. Reading is as important as breathing to me, it is a place where I can escape to and relax. A place where I can experience all the things I would never really be able to. I have read so many books and I never get enough of it.

10. profile image0
    Amanda Beck Mauckposted 6 years ago

writing... it's why I'm here on hub pages smile

11. Dale Hyde profile image86
    Dale Hydeposted 6 years ago

Reading wins heads up! Much more enjoyable to read other's work and learn from it as well as relax whilst doing it.

12. xethonxq profile image64
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

I really think I would choose reading. I love to write, but I absolutely love to learn. I also love to live vicariously through other people's creativity.

13. Sherry Hewins profile image96
    Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years ago

If I HAD to choose, it would have to be reading. There are so many more talented writers than I out there, I wouldn't want to miss that. Besides my writing starts in my head. It would still be there if I never wrote it down.

14. I N33D Answers profile image59
    I N33D Answersposted 6 years ago

I would definately say writting, but, if you can't read what you wrote, or others couldn't read what you wrote, then what would be the point of either?  We would all be writting in a cryptic code with no right answer to what our codes mean.  Now days you have shorthand writting, in the same sense, sometimes doesn't make a lick of sense.  LOL, BBL, etc.   When I started writting years ago, there were no LOL's and BRB's.  It was spell it out or your out of luck.  Today's society has reached a phase to where they do nothing but take short-cuts.  Shortcuts in reading, shortcuts in writting before you know it, there's going to be a faster way to do just about anything becuase people have become too lazy...

15. bryanbaldwin profile image60
    bryanbaldwinposted 6 years ago

I used to play the game of "would you rather" all the time with a co-worker I had....that being said, I'll go with writing since I'm the creative type.  Would you rather go blind or deaf????? Muahahahahaha.

16. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

Of course I'd choose writing.

For one thing, it's how I remember things.  That's how I got started in this Internet writing anyway - writing down stuff I knew in a place where it was easy to find.

Second, it's history - I can look back over 20 years of my life now and see it all recorded in things I wrote about.

Finally, because I've written so much over so many years, I can actually even get a kick out of things I wrote and had forgotten about entirely.

17. leenamartha profile image40
    leenamarthaposted 6 years ago

Writing is such an adventure for me. It stimulates my mind and creativity as well as providing me with new reasons to research my subjects. This activity all adds up to energy and passion for me.

18. profile image55
    eburnhamposted 6 years ago

I would definitely choose reading.  Being able to enjoy stories and acquire information is much more important to me than expressing myself or sharing information.  I am just very curious and I couldn't give that up.

19. how'd i get here? profile image59
    how'd i get here?posted 6 years ago

I'd rather read other people's work. Mine just isn't good enough or plentiful enough to satisfy me. Besides, who could live without The Hunger Games?

20. DIYmyOmy profile image73
    DIYmyOmyposted 6 years ago

I've nearly given up reading in favor of writing--too little time to do both well!

21. MSantana profile image44
    MSantanaposted 6 years ago

I have read enough, so I could just write...That is what literature master Ernesto Sabato did in his later years. Other writers have also done that to avoid distractions and produce more.

22. Ironman1992 profile image60
    Ironman1992posted 6 years ago

I would pick reading. The ability to obtain knowledge is very important. True, if you picked writing, you could relay information, but would be limited to what you could learn on your own.

working