jump to last post 1-17 of 17 discussions (18 posts)

If you won a very prestigious award for your writing and became very wealthy, wo

1. Diane Woodson profile image62
    Diane Woodsonposted 5 years ago

If you won a very prestigious award for your writing and became very wealthy, would it change you?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6643405_f260.jpg

2. angelskies profile image61
    angelskiesposted 5 years ago

Definitely, but I hope in a good way. It would make me bolder in talking about my life honestly, knowing I had a broader audience. My life might not be as interesting though with more attention on what I do.

3. Bonitaanna profile image78
    Bonitaannaposted 5 years ago

Yes it would,  it would change me drastically!  I would have permanent front teeth!!!!!!!!!!!

4. A.Villarasa profile image73
    A.Villarasaposted 5 years ago

Prestgious awards  by themselves typically do not impart much of any monetary consideration. What makes one wealthy as a writer is the money that one get via the sale of ypur books I.e. people reading it or Hollywood making a movie out of it.
    Money affects anyone  and everyone who comes in contact with it.

5. Craig Suits profile image77
    Craig Suitsposted 5 years ago

Of course It would change anybody in a lot of ways but the ways I believe your talking about would remain mostly the same.
    It is true that lottery winners almost always return to their old way of life. A lot of them stone broke. People don't like change especially when it means they have to live a different lifestyle only to please their new found fortune...

Hey!...Why don't we take up a collection and give me one million dollars and I'll keep  documented records of how my life changes and for how long. That would answer the question very accuratly and hey, I don't mind helping my friends out here on Hubpages. It would be a lot of work but what the hell, you guys are worth it. :>)

6. carter06 profile image80
    carter06posted 5 years ago

Absolutely!!! Firstly I would finally accept that I'm a writer and secondly I would pay my mortgage laughing all the way to the bank... cheers.

7. lynnswayze profile image61
    lynnswayzeposted 5 years ago

No. I'm always a writer, and have always been a writer. I might feel more confident pitching my work, but fundamentally it changes nothing.

8. Marsei profile image89
    Marseiposted 5 years ago

I know someone who has won a couple and they don't carry a huge monetary award with them usually.  I think the recognition would change me.  I would like to think I would be modest and not get full of myself.   I don't really know, but I'd love the chance to find out!!!

9. Eviejo profile image60
    Eviejoposted 5 years ago

Yes! It would be a pretty big boost to my confidence and self-esteem! Money may change my lifestyle a bit, but it wouldn't change me as far as the person I am.  They say money can't buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than it is on a bicycle. LOL

1. Diane Woodson profile image62
      Diane Woodsonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is the way it should be...thanks for the comment.

10. Georgie Lowery profile image95
    Georgie Loweryposted 5 years ago

I would hope that it would only change me in that I would no longer have to choose between paying the utilities or buying groceries. I'd probably be less depressed, too.

11. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 5 years ago

I'd have to be some sort of moron not to be changed by fame and fortune from my writing. It depends on what kind of 'changes' you mean. If you mean would I be big-headed and demanding, the answer has to be 'no'. I've lived for 65 years so far, so 'demanding' is unlikely to enter into the equation. As for 'big-headedness', I've been accused of that before, a long-tong time ago, along with a few other unprintable adjectives. It would mean my work has been appreciated by more than I would have thought. I can hope, can't I, that people like the English historian Michael Wood, and the Scots historian Neil Oliver would appreciate my RAVENFEAST saga books, if not for their historical accuracy then for their scope? That WOULD be an accolade!

12. ChristyWrites profile image84
    ChristyWritesposted 5 years ago

Yes, you would not feel the pressure to write as much to generate income given that you are now wealthy. That being said, your writing process would still stay the same.

13. MerCyn60 profile image61
    MerCyn60posted 5 years ago

The award would boost my self-esteem and reinforce my faith, interest and desire to write. More importantly it would, I hope, help me get additional freelance opportunities. The money would be a nice bonus, knowing I could buy great gifts for my kids and grandkids and ease into a working retirement. I plan on writing forever!

14. dohn121 profile image82
    dohn121posted 5 years ago

No, I don't think that it would change me as much as it would change everyone else around me.  My friends and family would most likely treat me differently.  Suddenly everyone is going to perceive me as a free ATM.  I hope that this doesn't happen but human nature dictates that it will.  Just look at all of the people who win the lotto: Suddenly, people they barely know come out of the woodwork with their hands out ready for the taking.

This is not to say that I won't give a good chunk of it away.  I would especially like to give to animals in need, mainly mistreated ones.  I'd also help all members of my family as well.  My first objective will be to get everyone out of debt and then keep them out of debt, which might take some work.

As a celebrity writer I would enjoy some of the amenities which music and sports stars don't: I won't have an image to uphold!  I don't think anyone really cares "who" I'm wearing or which jalopy I'm driving.  Sure, it might be tough to go places without having to sign autographs, but chances are the majority of the public won't recognize me simply because the majority of the free world don't read as much as they used to.

Okay, so maybe I'm thinking a little bit too much into all of this...

15. bernard.sinai profile image81
    bernard.sinaiposted 5 years ago

Definitely, I'd write less and I'd also travel the world and write about it.

16. Barbsbitsnpieces profile image80
    Barbsbitsnpiecesposted 5 years ago

Writing prestige and resultant wealth definitely would change me...if I let it...and that's why I don't actively seek it. If it comes my way, I don't want to change other than being able to support myself more adequately, but staying me would probably be very difficult.

What it would change is my lifestyle and those in my life.

Writing itself is my joy. If I sought what it could bring me, I'd have been in New York, Chicago, LA, or somewhere else in the world since high school graduation, for better, or worse.

Writers who say, "I hate writing, but I love to have written" are seeking the art's potential benefits. They aren't heart-of-heart writers who possess the joy of writing.

17. pagesvoice profile image85
    pagesvoiceposted 5 years ago

If I won a prestigious writing award and became wealthy as a result of my efforts, I honestly don't think I would change. However, I do believe the people around me would change their perception of my writing skills and I would be validated as an author. After all, as writers isn't validation what we are all looking for?

working