Brain freeze?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (39 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

MAn I hate when this happens. I woke up ready to write and now as i sit staring at the computer screen at my story, my brain just shuts down. Even when I try to write hubs my brain is saying no! sad

Any tips on how to get around this problem? I have 3 hubs I want to write and nothing. I want to get my word count up but can't. sad

Stupid brain! lol

1. drej2522 profile image68
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about written hubs (because I'm personally lazy)...but I know the best way for me is to read a little bit, preferably the same genre that I'm writing. Then reread your last chapter and boom, your brain should focus. smile

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Relax a bit and when youre in the mood go back to write again!

3. profile image0
      zampanoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wash your dishes.
      You'll maybe have the revelation of your life.

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol zampano wash my dishes? how did yuo know I have dishes that need to be washed? Are you watching me right now? lol

1. profile image0
          zampanoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HI. No. It's just a provocative way for saying. Do something else.
          I've known moments of zero inspiration to do my job.
          I'd go shopping and I'd cook for the family.
          After sometime, all that was missing before was actually there so I could go on with my work.
          And it works.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
            Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That does work; although today I have work freeze, housework freeze, and writing freeze, which means doing nothing productive whatsoever until one of the freezes goes away (which probably won't happen until I get a good night's sleep and wake up tomorrow).  smile  I kind of hate myself for it, but whatever.....   hmm

1. profile image0

Let's have a writing freeze pary! LMAO

4. Jackson Riddle profile image47
      Jackson Riddleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Shower then drink some coffee

1. profile image0
        blatvaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh God, The perfect pick me up.

1. Jackson Riddle profile image47
          Jackson Riddleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Speaking of which...

2. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Where are you on the story and NaNo?

Could be you just need to step away and go play in the leaves for a bit.

3. caranoelle profile image78
    caranoelleposted 14 years ago

Craizdwriter, first off, I would call this writers block.  Brain freeze is more what happens when you drink a cold drink too fast.  But that is neither here nor there.  Try fluid writing where you just write what is in your head, fluid stream of conciousness.  If you are thinking "Why can't I figure out what to write?  Ugh, what's wrong with me.  This should be easy, blah blah blah.  I wonder what's on TV right now?"  Then write that.  What ever words come to mind, put them to paper.  This could help you work through this.  Or you could try brainstorming, draw a web of ideas that stem from the topic you want to write about, just to get some ideas, then organize them.  Then you can expand on those ideas and create your Hubs.  Hope this helps.

4. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Hi Crazd!

I normally like to do something physical after writing.  How about putting on your favorite dance music and really get into it.

Then go back to the computer and see if anything pops up in your head.

hmmm...never tried that one...sounds good

my idea is better, though tongue

5. manlypoetryman profile image83
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Hey...crazd...sorry to hear of your "brain freeze". I hate it when that happens to me. And lately...I've been going through a "brain cooling down" period...myself. Have you tried taking an extended break from writing...and doing something else you enjoy...totally unrelated? This usually helps me...a little!

1. profile image0

Been doing that all weekend lol haven't written once this weekend big_smile

6. profile image0

Thanks guys...I hate when this happens...and might have to take you up on that Flightkeeper. big_smile

7. rmcrayne profile image92
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

Crazd, I seem to be particularly unproductive today too.  Can't blame it on the weather, since you are in CA and I am in TX.  I looked at the clock, and said "I've been up for 8 hours!"  And what the *ell do I have to show for my time?!

1. profile image0

Must be in the water lol

1. rmcrayne profile image92
        rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Or the phase of the moon wink

1. profile image0

damn moon! lol

8. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Revisit in your mind, why you're writing, the reason for you writing, should come out ahead of what is blocking you or your brain freeze.

If you're honest with yourself and your writing is honest, then you'll break free of your brain freeze, by just latching on to the reason for which you write each hub.

Use that as your motivation and purpose for which you write, then all blocks shall be lifted.

Hope I helped.

1. profile image0

Thanks Cagsil. I hope that it helps too. i'll just metitaite for a bit and hopefully it'll help. ugh stupid brain! sad

9. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

I go through times I cant write.  When that happens I shut down the entire computer and forget it exists.

This may be for a few monutes, hours or even days sometimes.

I go back to doing other things like working in my garage or fishing.  Almost always when I come back I am ready to write.

For me its not usually block but rather burn out and I know its time for a break.

Dale

10. profile image0

I'm starting to think it's burn out too, dale. Need to get another hobby lol

1. Dale Mazurek profile image62
      Dale Mazurekposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would invite you fishing but lol I know the response i would get.

just take a break, we all need it at some point.  I have fun with what I do on the internet and when it becomes not fun that is my signal to shut it down for a while.

You will be fine.  this is something your destined for.

1. profile image0

lol yep you would get a H*LL NO for the fishing trip lol and thanks I am gonna take a break. But what to do what to do?

11. drej2522 profile image68
    drej2522posted 14 years ago

maybe a Navy wife??

oh wait...tongue

1. profile image0

LMAO that isn't a hobby silly. tongue

Oh, I knew some people that made it one! tongue

1. profile image0

are you serious? wow that is low

12. profile image0

Thanks prettydarkhorse. I am gonna have to..brain dead lol

13. drej2522 profile image68
    drej2522posted 14 years ago

gold-diggers going for brass...usually officers smile

how's the writtin coming?

1. profile image0

I did get a hub out but that's about it lmao but I am working on another hub big_smile

14. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

I know what works for me.
    • A change in creative energy such as an outing--movie, museum--stimulating as many of the five senses as I can.

• A wad of amino acid capsules. The kind body builders use for workouts. They balance out brain chemistry, hormones, and even help a little with mood. They don't stimulate. They only balance things out. No known side effects from taking a lot. I do 6 to 8 when I'm in a funk. I start every day out with 3 or 4 of the suckers. Good stuff.

Hope this helps.

1. profile image0

thanks daniel!

15. Hope Wilbanks profile image67
    Hope Wilbanksposted 14 years ago

Have you tried writing away from the computer? Grab some paper and go to the park, or just step outside your house and get some fresh air. A short walk might help clear the cobwebs, too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)